Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

2010 A5 2.0T - 1st gear and reverse won't engage

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It's much worst when it's cold, but also happens when the engine is @ running temperature. I have to play with the shifter, try to engage second and only then will the first engage.

I told the service dept when I went in for my first maintenance after 8000km, but they told me there was nothing abnormal about it. Should I ditch that dealer and go to another one ? Is it really something to worry about ? Frankly, if my transmission won't break, it's not THAT important, but it is damn annoying and doesn't reflect the money I put in the car...

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Crossfit gym

Are you rolling while trying to get it into 1st gear or reverse gear? Sometimes the car has to come to a complete stop or almost to one before being able to get it smoothly in gear. Try double-clutching without rev-matching when getting it into 1st or R. For example, when still rolling at walking pace, clutch in, stick go into neutral, clutch out, clutch in, stick go into first. Same for reverse.
    -Steve
    T3/T4 50 trim .63a/r
    2005 A4 Avant 1.8TQM

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I thought you were never supposed to put it in reverse while moving. At least in the MKIV VW 5 speeds that was a huge no no

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Crossfit gym

Quote Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
    I thought you were never supposed to put it in reverse while moving. At least in the MKIV VW 5 speeds that was a huge no no
    Even if you tried, our tranny's have gear lock out, you won't be able to engage reverse. Unless you were rolling at a very crawling pace like 2 kph.
    -Steve
    T3/T4 50 trim .63a/r
    2005 A4 Avant 1.8TQM

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

No, i'm not rolling when it happens, it's when I'm at complete stop that it happens. When I'm rolling, though, going from 1st to 2nd almost ALWAYS (like 9/10 times) makes scratching noise, as if the gear have troublle engaging. They do engage, but I sometimes have to push real hard. Doesn't do that for any other gear transition, only 1st to second. I've to gear up at different RPMs and the problem is there at all times.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Porsche Boxster, 2010 A4, 2000 F350

It sounds to me like your clutch is not releasing all the way. If the input shaft is still turning or trying to turn when you attempt to put the car in gear (1st of rev), it will not go in smoothly if the clutch doesn't competely disengage. It will shift into the other gears when you are moving because you can match the engine speed to the transmission better. I'm not very familiar with the A5 clutch but if it is hydraulic, it might need to be bled. Your dealer is giving you the "tough love" treatment. There is something wrong with your car and it is probably very simple. It amazes me how poorly so many dealers treat their customers after they spent so much money on the vehicle. Try another dealer. Maybe there is one out there that cares.

Veteran Member Four Rings audifirst's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 Avant, VW Golf TDI

go to another audi dealer