Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings JEENYUS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

signs your torque converter is going bad?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Anyone know how to tell the difference between a torque converter going bad and just needing a change of ATF fluid and the filter changed? TIA.
    Asses are where it's at. even fat chicks can have nice boobs. -MmmBoost

Veteran Member Four Rings Elliott's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6, B8, WJ
    Items for Sale

Changing fluid rarely cures any auto trans issues. A failing TC will slip through gears pretty obviously. Get it on a hill and try to take off quickly, you'll notice the revs without corresponding speed. That said, the only vehicle I've ever had with an auto got it's trans swapped out within a 6 months of owning it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Changing fluid rarely cures any auto trans issues. A failing TC will slip through gears pretty obviously. Get it on a hill and try to take off quickly, you'll notice the revs without corresponding speed. That said, the only vehicle I've ever had with an auto got it's trans swapped out within a 6 months of owning it.
    yeah, i hate autos... i couldnt find the colour combo i was looking for in a manual when i first bought the car. my car has some hard shifts and shudder/vibrations that happen a lot during driving. almost as if the wheels are off balanced at high speeds and kinda like popping the clutch at low speeds.

Registered Member Four Rings B6JoeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Terminator Cobra

I would do a pan drop and refill. dont do a full flush. I did this on my old tip 3.0 at about 60k as preventative maintinence

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Op, looks like its time for a swap. Id contact doug.
    The Awesome™

Senior Member Two Rings fcamargo6thave's Avatar
    AZ Member #

hey who is doug because i have the same thing going on in my car

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Oh it was just a joke about Doug. I believe he has helped a couple people with manual tranny swaps on here.
    The Awesome™

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I replaced mine last winter when I had the car. It was actually my oil pump that was starting to go and ate apart the shaft on the torque converter. I agree with Elliot, go up a hill and it will be a clear indication if it is slipping away. When you go from 2nd to 3rd you will feel a loss of power.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by NvrFllw View Post
    I replaced mine last winter when I had the car. It was actually my oil pump that was starting to go and ate apart the shaft on the torque converter. I agree with Elliot, go up a hill and it will be a clear indication if it is slipping away. When you go from 2nd to 3rd you will feel a loss of power.
    this has happened to me. but it is hard to tell if it is the torque converted slipping. should it be like a crazy amount of vibration after shifting into third? because i know the loss of power has happened to me. should i change the ATF before assuming that the torque converter is going out?

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JEENYUS View Post
    this has happened to me. but it is hard to tell if it is the torque converted slipping. should it be like a crazy amount of vibration after shifting into third? because i know the loss of power has happened to me. should i change the ATF before assuming that the torque converter is going out?
    Well I know when I jammed on the gas I had absolutely no power at all, it felt like a stock 4 cyl, it sucked. Bring it to a tranny shop and have them inspect it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by NvrFllw View Post
    Well I know when I jammed on the gas I had absolutely no power at all, it felt like a stock 4 cyl, it sucked. Bring it to a tranny shop and have them inspect it.
    i am wondering if the vibration i was feeling or do feel when going up hill is due to the fluid. good idea though, i will try to find someone that specializes in euro trannys.