Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Does the TT Quatro do well in the snow/ice?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My A4 Quatro does great in the snow and ice. I've always wanted a TT but I need something that can get me to work on the few snowy days we have here in Reno. If I put all season tires on it, and providing that the snow is not too deep, would it get me around? Common sense tells me no, but it can't hurt to ask.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Will be the same almost, maybe less clearance. Just put good snow tires on and you're set.
    2014 Ibis RS5 w/ Ti. Package

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The problem is as you said the ground clearance.
    The all seasons like continental dws should be fine.
    Just don't go too low and u'll be fine.

-cW
    2014 A5 2.0 Black on Black - Stock for now - DSR disable

Gone - 2013 S4 Black on Black Sport Diff/Broken DSG
    New build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...k-build-thread

Veteran Member Four Rings Sandeman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 MB SL500

A4 owners UNITE! honestly, its different and the clearance plays a very little part... Quattro Haldex (TT, A3, etc.) vs. Quattro Torsen (A4, A6, etc.) what you need to look at is how each system works, and in simple terms, Haldex is electronically controlled in which its higly biased in the front drive wheels until the haldex unit senses that the rear wheels are slipping, thus sends more power to the rear drive wheels. Torsen is all time all wheel drive, in which the split, depending on the car and in most cases is, 60-40 Front to Rear (correct me if im wrong)

getting away from all the technical and theoretical stuff, ive driven both a b8 a4 & my tt in the snow (same amount of precip), and ill tell you that the a4 handles itself significantly better than the TT. the a4 crawls up hills where the tt finds itself struggling to get up it (both cars had plenty of clearance)

but seeming that youre in Reno and snow isnt as significant as it is in NYC during the winter, the TT should get you around to where you need to go

AZ Member #

Just wanted to add

Dedicated winter tires!!! We just had 2 feet of snow..where I live, and badly plowed streets..........no problems! and I live on some of the steepest hills found in any city.
    Once again Dedicated winter tires if you live in the snow belt. Seeing as your in Reno as TTmk2 stated you would fare fine with all weather.
    2008 3.2 TTr Quattro w/s-tronic, xenon adaptive lights, mag ride, heated electric seats, exclusive leather package (Black /Saddle brown), parking sensors, 18" turbines, Nav w/bluetooth/ipod, Clearmask, Stubby antenna, TTs mirrors, Custom 13" slimline JL sub in trunk w/1000 watt JL 6 channel amp, Diamond speakers replaced all oem and just received Hawk ceramic brakes F/R and the list grows .

Veteran Member Three Rings ArTTemis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi TT

When I was going to my grandparents for Christmas they have 35% gradient driveway that's 100 feet.
    It was covered in 2 inches of Ice I made it up and my dads Volvo S80 didn't. Snow tires help!
    I just saved a bunch on money on my car insurance by running from the police.

Established Member Two Rings Northc's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03'VW Jetta VR6 / 02'Audi TT Q 225+

if lowered and solid ice your screwed but lowered and snow should be ok..... happy 2011

Senior Member Two Rings fcjasontt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have an argument that basically says haldex > torsen in crappy weather. Anyone car to hear it lol ? It is pretty legit too.
    J'S REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE
    PLAINFIELD,IL 815.556.0027
    VAG-COM EQUIPPED

Veteran Member Four Rings ataylor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    snowboards, mountain bikes, computer parts, wheels, golf clubs, lacrosse sticks

Quote Originally Posted by fcjasontt View Post
    I have an argument that basically says haldex > torsen in crappy weather. Anyone car to hear it lol ? It is pretty legit too.
    Trying to decide whether to sell my b7 w. Quattro for a tt, soooo yes!
    ︻╦╤─

Established Member Two Rings snowdogg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus & Volvo

I've lived in a severe winter area for 45+ years - Vermont - and have driven everything (none of which have had 4WD or AWD) from a '62 Chevy Bel Air to my current daily driver - Lexus ES - and haven't been hindered by the weather. Think the key is using aggressive tread snow tires, mounted on steel rims, from mid-November thru mid-April. When the weather is truly overwhelming (think sleet storm) ... I just don't go out - not worth the risk. My TT isn't a winter car by choice, but I sure am antsy for that day in late March when I reinstall the battery, fire the engine and drive away with the top down!
    Last edited by snowdogg; 01-05-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    03TT225QR

Veteran Member Four Rings Seinsmeld13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 Porsche Boxster S & 07 GTI

My TT is lowered 1.5" I run it with four winter tires. Much better than my GTI with winters but nowhere near as good as my S4 which is unbelievable!

Veteran Member Four Rings Sandeman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 MB SL500

Quote Originally Posted by Seinsmeld13 View Post
    My TT is lowered 1.5" I run it with four winter tires. Much better than my GTI with winters but nowhere near as good as my S4 which is unbelievable!
    said it all

Veteran Member Four Rings B5A4Kevin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

stock torsen dif is 2:1 split so it can send 66% of total torque to the axle with the most traction. electronic stability control applies brakes to the slipping wheel to slow it down until either it regains traction or another wheel starts slipping. haldex uses a viscous fluild coupling and several wet clutches to apply up to 100% to either axle. when coupled with esp/asr it will never have 0% traction at all 4 wheels. the torsen on the other hand is a mechanical linkage and acts as a torque multiplier. however if one axle has 0 traction at both wheels, the car has no traction at all and will not move. i saw this once on a b7 a4 with a blown rear differential. the driveshaft turned fine and would spin when in drive, but the car wouldnt move at all and had to be pushed into the shop. as it has been stated, snow tires are a big help but all season tires with a decent amount of tread should be fine for year round in moderately cold climates. hope this helps. peace.

forgot to mention, the new Sport rear diff is king of all as it works as the inverse of esp. when cornering instead of slowing down the inside wheel (with no traction), it applies more power to the outside wheel (with traction). it is similar in operation to the SH-AWD (super handling) system offered in some newer acura's.
    Current whip:

99.5 A4 1.8T quattro Sport.

RIP:
    Brilliant Black 06 A3 2.0T 6-spd

Brilliant Black 01 A4 1.8T QMS

Pearl White 99 A4 1.8t QMS