Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    DG 2004.5 A4 1.8T USP
    Items for Sale

Bleeding Brakes Problem - Bleeder Screw Stripped

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello Everyone,

Over the weekend my friend and I tried to bleed my brakes, since they haven't been done in 2 years, and ran into an issue. We were trying to loosen the "vent screw" (The screw you loosen to actually get the fluid out of the brakes) on the front passenger side the actual head got ripped off:

Picture #1:

Picture #2:

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this out?

We tried using a screw extractor, but no good the screw is in there. Luckily we didn't loosen anything, so no fluid is coming out and we were able to successfully bleed the brakes from the other 3 points (The rears and driver's side we bled successfully with no issues), but ultimately I'd like to get this screw out for future bleeding or brake maintenance that may arise.

Also, since we were able to get the other 3 brake points bled, is there anything really "bad" about leaving the passenger side as-is without a flush?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

--Asif
    Last edited by A4orce84; 12-27-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #101

2004 A4 1.8T USP - APR Stage 1+, AWE Exhaust, Valeo Clutch Kit, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Boosted Intake, B5 S4 Front Brakes, RNS-E + Bluetooth Module, VMR 708s (RS4 Reps), Boost Brothers FMIC, '02 OEM Sport Suspension + B5 Front Perches, Custom "matt devo" ecodes, PODi Boost Gauge, JHM Solid Short Shifter, JHM Solid Linkage Upgrade, and a lot more stuff!

Veteran Member Four Rings seanj130's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes, you will probably have air in your lines as you are supposed to bleed.. in this order. Back passenger, Back driver, passenger, driver.

Best regards,
    Sean.
    Best regards,
    Sean.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone
    bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Probably a little bit of heat and some vise grips. If that fails, you may need to weld a bolt head onto the remaining portion of the bleeder to get it out. Worst case would be drilling it out and retapping the hole. I don't think you'll get that far though.

Veteran Member Four Rings diagnosticator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Replace the caliper with a reman part. A caliper is not very expensive, and will save a lot of time and hassle. BTW, the rubber caps help prevent the bleeders from seizing in the calipers by keeping water out of the bleeder screws. If the caps are missing, replace them.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by seanj130 View Post
    Yes, you will probably have air in your lines as you are supposed to bleed.. in this order. Back passenger, Back driver, passenger, driver.

Best regards,
    Sean.
    According to rxrep's post in the following thread you bleed our brakes in reverse, i.e. driver front, pass front, driver rear, pass rear.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ed+that+clutch

Veteran Member Four Rings MikeWire's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '72 VW Kombi

I'm with Diagnosticator here on buying another caliper. But I see you have a painted caliper, so a reman won't match, and any high heat or flame would torch the paint. I would give it your best shot with a set of vice-grips, and don't be cheap on the brand, get the real ones. The cheap ones will slip. And remove the caliper from the car so you can get it in a vice or hold it on a bench so its easier to work with.

If it fails, then do a reman or used, and paint to match.

On the bleed order, it's traditionally longest brake line -> shortest brake line from the reservoir. So it would be Right (passengers) Rear -> Left (drivers) Rear -> Front Right -> Front Left. I'd like to know why they should be bled in the reverse order. Remember they drive on the 'wrong' side of the street over there.
    -Mike

BigSkyEuro

2014 VW Passat TDI SEL DSG
    2010 VW Jetta TDI DSG
    SOLD - 2003 A4 1.8TQM Avant Atlas | REVO 2 | Podi P1 Stepper | 5-speed swap
    1980 VW Caddy 1.8 JH swap
    1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC
    PODI Team Member

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Sales@RAI's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You should be able to get a bleeder screw off with an ez-out

BTW, had the same thing happen to me on both sides, but the bolt snapped flush with the caliper. Had to order some new ones
    -Dan

Keep up with us on facebook and connect with us on Google+
    Sales@raimotorsport.com

Veteran Member Four Rings seanj130's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shwilly View Post
    According to rxrep's post in the following thread you bleed our brakes in reverse, i.e. driver front, pass front, driver rear, pass rear.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ed+that+clutch
    According to this I have found something else..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ing-brakes....

Best regards,
    Sean.
    Best regards,
    Sean.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone
    bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 CC VR6 Sport

It really doesn't matter which order you use to bleed the brakes. Bentley states one way, "standard" practices suggest the opposite. What matters is that you do it approximately every 2 years. Be sure to include the slave cylinder if you have a manual. Hands down, the easiest method is with a Motive Power Bleeder or similar.