Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

High-pitched whining noise from front part of the vehicle?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Anyone have any ideas about what a high-pitched whining noise coming from the front of the vehicle could be? The pitch frequency of the noise increases as I accelerate, but if I let my car warm up for 10 mins or so the sound is barely noticable. I'd appreciate any ideas.... Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings koolade9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

check your power steering fluid.

assuming I'm right, consider flushing/refilling it in the very near future as well.

Veteran Member Four Rings CHECKERED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 B6 S4 DG, BMW 335i

my money is on a busted wheel bearing
    B6 S4:JHM Supercharger Stage I, IM spacers, Carbonio-JHM hybrid Intake, FI DP&CB, Carbon Fiber Vented Hood, 034 Engine & Trans Mounts, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, JHM Oil, Power Steering & Trans coolers, PSS9 Coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, Adjustable Control Arms, B7 RS4 Front (JHM LW rings) & JHM BBK Rear, StopTech SS lines.
    Daily Driver: BMW E92 335i Coupe, JB4 Stage 3 Piggyback w/Flash, Meth Injection, Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Quaife LSD 12.1@117mph on sucky run flat tires

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 R1 Track Weapon

Need details, is it speed related? or Engine RPM related?
    05 B6 S4 Avant 6MT
    06 Touareg V8
    09 Yam R1, full race
    71 Honda Z50 88cc (pit bike of death)
    64 Ducati Mountaineer 90 (in restore mode)

Established Member Two Rings fujii13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

High pitched whining sound from the front of your vehicle? Did you run over your wife?
    -----

the fuj.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fujii13 View Post
    High pitched whining sound from the front of your vehicle? Did you run over your wife?
    No it was my girlfriend lol.

Its Rpm related. If I step on the gas the frequency of the noise will change if I'm in neutral or drive.

AZ Member #

Just check the power steering fluid and it's not low. Looks clean.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6, 87 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro, 05 Audi S4 Avant, 98 Cherokee, 83 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoyRx View Post
    No it was my girlfriend lol.

Its Rpm related. If I step on the gas the frequency of the noise will change if I'm in neutral or drive.
    if you're hard on the accelerator do you hear it? is it only through a certain rpm range? you did mention worse in cold...with your windows down can you hear it better or pinpoint location?

i don't have answers, however, have a sound..wouldn't call it a whine, but maybe a hiss around 3 to 4k rpm...i don't hear it when i'm on it hard, and can't hear it with the windows down which is strange..only hear it with the windows up..maybe around passenger footwell area...is yours the same or different?

also, when was your serpentine belt replaced or has it been?

Veteran Member Four Rings bmc333's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 GTI DSG / 2006 TSX

I too have this same whine going on and it changes frequency based on throttle position (gets higher with more rpm/boost)...
    2007 A4 2.0T-Q SOLD!

AZ Member #

So I'm going to try and reclarify because details are key! So it's a whiny somewhat high pitched noise that appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle. I've started to notice it more as it has gotten colder (15-32F). If in neutral I can make the frequency of the noise get higher, but I really notice it when I'm driving, especially at low speeds. Seems like once I reach 35 or so it goes away. At work I park in a a parking structure and after my shift is over I try to let it warm up for 10 mins or so because if I don't my car sounds like it's whistling while I drive. Somewhat annoying as people are probably wondering what the heck that noise is too. I've also noticed my heat in the vehicle is messed up which may or may not be related. I don't really know a lot about cars so I apologize for being vague, but I really do appreciate everyone's help. My local dealer in the past has had trouble diagnosing problems for me, so I'd like to be able to point them in the right direction. Thanks guys

Veteran Member Three Rings UnstableOS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

GAMK/JK/ISK/RB

Zen and the Art of Audi Maintenance

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

When was the last time the serpentine belt / idler pulley / tensioner was replaced?

AZ Member #

Exactly like that. Thanks for finding that. I guess I used the wrong search terms...

Veteran Member Four Rings staticuxo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

mine does that too when it's very cold in the mornings.. disappears after 5 mins. i changed my serp belt also...

B7 S4 AVANT- 6MT | FI 8" RES EXHAUST | FI HFC DOWNPIPES | H&R COILOVERS | OEM S5 19X9 'ROTORS' | CUPRA LIP | YAKIMA WHISPBARS | THULE 517 |

PREVIOUS:
    B8.5 S4 6MT | B8 S4 DSG | B8 S5 6MT | B7 S4 6MT | B7 A4 6MT

Established Member Two Rings james.bigouette's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 B6 S4, 2007 VW GTI STG 2+

do you have a dynavin, haha i have alot of high pitch whine.

haha

Established Member Two Rings 1000whp's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Sprint Blue

Quote Originally Posted by SKareKrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staticuxo View Post
    mine does that too when it's very cold in the mornings.. disappears after 5 mins. i changed my serp belt also...
    did changing the serp belt help?... how many miles when you changed it?

Veteran Member Three Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Did you guys replace the idler and tensioner pulleys when you replaced the serp belt? Sounds like one of the pulleys doesn't like being cold.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by joeycuccaro View Post
    When was the last time the serpentine belt / idler pulley / tensioner was replaced?
    Tensioner and serp belt was done about 3 months ago when I had the valve gaskets replaced. Think it needs to be re adjusted?

Established Member Two Rings S4mser's Avatar
    AZ Member #

mine does the exact same thing! goes away after it warms up though. cannot figure it out

AZ Member #

A few things.. If you have the JHM 10mm intake spacers this seems to happen more often it seems. Check to ensure your intake manifold is sealed properly, more than likely some of the bolts have loosened. The whistling seems to be a gasket that is contracting when cold and once the engine gets a bit warm it expands and the whistle stops.
    GAMK/JK/ISK/RB

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by james.bigouette View Post
    do you have a dynavin, haha i have alot of high pitch whine.

haha
    No James. No aftermarket parts.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

vacuum leak/leaking intake manifold gaskets...IMO

ben

'05.5 B7 S4 6spd - 'new' car...JHM parts coming soon
    '04 B6 S4 6spd - JHM - GONE but not forgotten
    '05 duramax - really fast
    '68 vw beetle - way slower than both, but it has 4 wheel drive and a chevy 5.3 LSx V8 in the back

Established Member Two Rings avant1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97gtivr6T, 97jettavr6,95jettavr6,95cabrio

idler pulley going bad? was it changed also? mine did that noise also till my idler pulley seized.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Daily Driver: Stock '05 S4... Toy: NOT Stock Miata for going really, really fast around the track!

High pitched whines coming from the passenger seat is usually wife/girlfriend. From the front of the engine, I vote for something serp belt related. When the miata is in track prep, the passenger seat is missing and things are so much more quiet...
    -h

Account Terminated Three Rings JohnnyAlQaeda's Avatar
    AZ Member #

its the tensioner and pulley shit, mine does the same thing only when its cold. no big deal. if you replaced them recently then you have nothing to worry about. just deal with the noise.
    sounds kind of like one of those whistles where you pull the plastic piece out and it changes pitch right?

Established Member Two Rings S4mser's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAlQaeda View Post
    its the tensioner and pulley shit, mine does the same thing only when its cold. no big deal. if you replaced them recently then you have nothing to worry about. just deal with the noise.
    sounds kind of like one of those whistles where you pull the plastic piece out and it changes pitch right?
    YES!

Veteran Member Four Rings Wusty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4, Land Rover LR4

Quote Originally Posted by 1000whp View Post
    did changing the serp belt help?... how many miles when you changed it?
    I'm curious as well to know if changing the Serp Belt solved the whistling. Mine does it as well in the cold mornings. Goes away after a few minutes
    once it's warmed up.

AZ Member #

The sound in the vid I posted is not the serp belt.
    GAMK/JK/ISK/RB

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4, Land Rover LR4

A few things.. If you have the JHM 10mm intake spacers this seems to happen more often it seems. Check to ensure your intake manifold is sealed properly, more than likely some of the bolts have loosened. The whistling seems to be a gasket that is contracting when cold and once the engine gets a bit warm it expands and the whistle stops.
    Do you know what the fix was for this?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The whistling is the accessory belt tensioner / idler pulley. I had the same thing before I swapped them out -goofy whistling till about 1800rpm or so. There's even a TSB out for that.

I have 10mm spacers also, no whisting.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by halik View Post
    The whistling is the accessory belt tensioner / idler pulley. I had the same thing before I swapped them out -goofy whistling till about 1800rpm or so. There's even a TSB out for that.

Very possible. However, my whistling was caused by a loose intake mani so that is just another thing to check.
    GAMK/JK/ISK/RB

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Sprint Blue

Quote Originally Posted by halik View Post

How much should it cost to replace the serp belt tensioner and the idler pulley? Mine does the whistling sometimes for a min or so on cold startups. It also has the cold start clanking sound so I am looking into replacing serp belt tensioner, idler pulley, and possibly the chain guide to see if that addresses my issues.

Should anyone be worried about the whistling and the cold start clanking?.... I mean, a lot of these S4's have it, but can any of these cause catastrophic failures?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4, Land Rover LR4

From my research, belt costs $20, Idler Pulley is $40 and Belt Tensioner is $120 from JHM. I've heard install is up to 3-3.5 hours from an Audi Dealer? Hopefully its really not that long from an indy shop. Thats a quick $550-$650.

AZ Member #

do it yourself, its not that bad at all

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Sprint Blue

I don't have a garage... Doing it myself in the subzero weather isnt really an option :(

Wusty - have you get yours fixed? I am more curious to know the repercussions of not doing anything about it.

AZ Member #

mines been doing it for a year and i havent touched it, its not an issue until you throw a belt and your batt dies

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4, Land Rover LR4

I don't have a garage... Doing it myself in the subzero weather isnt really an option :(

Wusty - have you get yours fixed? I am more curious to know the repercussions of not doing anything about it.
    I haven't done mine yet. I just started noticing it about a month ago. I'm bringing my car into a local indy shop to get some misc things done to it and i've been considering
    just having them do it at the same time. I want them to give me an idea of how many hours the labor is, then I might pull the trigger and have them do it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Sprint Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Wusty View Post
    I haven't done mine yet. I just started noticing it about a month ago. I'm bringing my car into a local indy shop to get some misc things done to it and i've been considering
    just having them do it at the same time. I want them to give me an idea of how many hours the labor is, then I might pull the trigger and have them do it.
    I see. Would you mind telling me what year and how many mileages on your S4?

Do you plan on doing the timing chain and water pump at the same time when you are at it? When are those things due for replacement anyway?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4, Land Rover LR4

I see. Would you mind telling me what year and how many mileages on your S4?

Do you plan on doing the timing chain and water pump at the same time when you are at it? When are those things due for replacement anyway?
    05.5' 54,500 miles. I wasn't planing on doing timing chain and water pump? Belt, pulley & tensioner are due for service at 75,000k I heard.

Veteran Member Four Rings Fade2Black's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Black B6 S4

Can you change the idler pulley with out pulling the bumper?
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

– Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast