Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

symptoms of bad maf sensor?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 02 3.0. My Cel keeps coming on as a steady light not flashing at all. Some of the codes are random mis firing. I think one might have been something with the cooling system. My euro mechanic told me it might be a bad maf sensor. What are the symptoms of this? I don't have any of the codes on hand.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audi Skate Snow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C300 Sport and tools

well the easiest way to check if a MAF is bad.

Start the car
    Pop The hood
    Unplug the maf.

If the car idles the same with no difference.... then your MAF is probably bad.
    If the car starts to shake and idles funny... then your MAF is probably fine.
    BetaAlphaTau member #1.5
    R.I.P B6 A4!!!!!! 12/03/2005 12.63@108... stock 1.8 motor W/ GTRS.
    B6 A4 Avant, 2.0 Liter, 3071, Maestro

AZ Member #

I just got my cel turned off, so if i unplug it will my cel come back on?

Senior Member Three Rings Dubdaze's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Skate Snow View Post
    well the easiest way to check if a MAF is bad.

Start the car
    Pop The hood
    Unplug the maf.

If the car idles the same with no difference.... then your MAF is probably bad.
    If the car starts to shake and idles funny... then your MAF is probably fine.
    Every vw/audi ive seen runs perfect with the Maf unplugged..

If the maf is bad and the car runs bad then when you unplug the maf the car will run better

Veteran Member Three Rings b4a41point8t's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 A4 2.0TQ
    Items for Sale

^ from my experiences they don't run the same. Similar but noticeably different/bad. Try the maf test and go from there. Do you have vagcom for data logging? That's the easiest test.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b4a41point8t View Post
    ^ from my experiences they don't run the same. Similar but noticeably different/bad. Try the maf test and go from there. Do you have vagcom for data logging? That's the easiest test.
    Unfortunately i don't. I bought a crappy $20 ebay one. worked for one time, now it wont work.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C300 Sport and tools

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdaze View Post
    Every vw/audi ive seen runs perfect with the Maf unplugged..

If the maf is bad and the car runs bad then when you unplug the maf the car will run better
    you will pretty much notice no change if the maf is bad and then you unplug it. the computer then gets reading from MAP sensor when MAF sensors go out. If your MAF is good with no problems... and you unplug the MAF while the car is running then with out a doubht.... 100% for sure your car will idle like shit.
    BetaAlphaTau member #1.5

AZ Member #

Ok i just unplugged it, it seems to run a bit worse. my esp light came on. Now i plugged it back in esp light is still on, and cel just turned on .its running like its unplugged. What the hell happened?
    Last edited by scaudi; 11-22-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings A4SoftWalker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02A4 1.8TQMS, 05V70R, BMW535i

Give it time to re-adapt - stop engine - restart its not a video game.

U might need to disconnect battery to reset the ECU.
    'SOFTWALKER MODS
    Do u have the Bentley or Dealership Manual & Tools it takes to work on YOUR car properly? Or...
    Are u just going to continue to wing it & keep expecting manna to fall from AZ?
    Apikol>Snub/Diff APR>ExhTIP-TB hoses,Stg3 AWE>DV
    JHM>ShortShift-the works
    Misc> 18x8x9 235/265;HSport S4 barsTT225;Bosch-F6DTC;CarbonioV2+V6Intake Inlet;HFC;Podi-P2;ATP mani;GPopK04;034mounts
    SPEC>Stg3+,LWFW
    STaSIS>328/305mm,40/60,SL
    Personal Motto>Walk Softly Carry a Big Stick

AZ Member #

disconnect the MAF cable with the car on and then plug it back in. Turn the car off and then turn the key in the "ON" position (the furthest position without turning the car on) for 2 minutes. Then start your car and drive it a couple miles.

The ESP light may still be on but should go off during driving or after the next time you start your car and drive again. You can't always just turn the car on and off as the ECU needs to have consistent readings from the MAF to signal the light to turn off.

Thats what i had to do to fix it. after i drove for a few miles esp went off and car ran fine again.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C300 Sport and tools

yea ESP light will go off after it cycles. on a good note it doesnt seem your MAF is bad if it started idling like shit
    BetaAlphaTau member #1.5

AZ Member #

Yeah i dont think so. When i took it for a ride and stop my car would shut off/almost shut off or stand around 500rpms then steady at about 800 or so

Senior Member Three Rings teg2audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8t

i'm guessing vacuum leak. If the ideal is shit and jumps around that would be my first guess. No boost gauge by chance?
    Black 04 Audi A4 1.8t
    APR Stage 2+, tt injectors, forge 007, South Bend OFE Stage 3 Clutch, APR Snub, Podi, Test Pipe

Member # 15 of Coalition of The OEM+ Audi Owners.

AZ Member #

my car has no boost. its a v6 3.0. and my car only did that while my maf was disconnected/being reset.

Veteran Member Three Rings BerNur's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

sorry to thread jack.. but is there a main reason a maf would go bad? or just a life span?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C300 Sport and tools

Quote Originally Posted by BerNur View Post
    sorry to thread jack.. but is there a main reason a maf would go bad? or just a life span?
    lifetime... and mostly just dirt particles building up on the film. A lot of times you can clean them and they will be fine again. The only real way to tell if a MAF is on its way out is to log it and see if it is getting the correct readings it should be (correct for turbo you have or software)
    BetaAlphaTau member #1.5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C300 Sport and tools

Quote Originally Posted by teg2audi View Post
    i'm guessing vacuum leak. If the ideal is shit and jumps around that would be my first guess. No boost gauge by chance?
    That is my next guess. Although it would be a lean code that would probably just stay on constant until fixed/cleared. Could be plugs or a list of possibilities. hard to tell with out being with the car and checking it out.
    BetaAlphaTau member #1.5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Skate Snow View Post
    That is my next guess. Although it would be a lean code that would probably just stay on constant until fixed/cleared. Could be plugs or a list of possibilities. hard to tell with out being with the car and checking it out.
    Ok, so I'm also having a similar issue with the idling, misfires, car rpms dropping and almost the car dying (some cases it would.) What else could go wrong to cause this? With my 02' 3.0L, spark plugs and gaskets were recently changed, and the coil packs were changed maybe about a year ago due to a recall. If this is helpful, when I had my MAF plugged in, you could hear a thumping noise coming from the intake, kinda sounded like the throttle was gasping for air, but after awhile it faded. And after reading this, I think my MAF might just be bad, because there is no difference in the idling when I have the MAF plugged in and unplugged.
    02 Audi A4 3.0

Registered Member One Ring Skinnyskins's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sorry for this, but my car has stalled out and I don't think I'm getting the proper mileage. Not to mention it doesn't have the original gas cap from Audi. That's when the light started coming on.