Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Heating On One Side Of Air Vents Only??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2003 Audi A4 and for some reason regardless of the temperature setting on the display, it only puts out cold air on the drivers side air vents. The passenger side air vents work as normal when the temperature is changed. Any ideas on why this could be happening?

Thanks,
    Tim

Veteran Member Three Rings BerNur's Avatar
    AZ Member #

do a coolant flush or before you do a flush scan the hvac with vag-com or go to autozone to get scanned for codes

Veteran Member Four Rings onceover's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4, 964 Carrera, 955 Cayenne S, MK1 Cabrio, T2b Westfalia

Coolant flush wont do anything. Sounds like the blending door isnt working. You can try scanning your car with VAGCOM to see if theres any errors that pop up as stated above

2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || GT3076R

1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

BetaAlphaTau Member #111

Veteran Member Three Rings sxman69's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 CRF250R, BLKMRKT Mob, Giant Glory DH

I have the same symptoms. Got some errors with the HVAC motors or something like that, but at least the heating is on the drivers side.
    -Sam

New: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT

SOLD!!!! Staggared AMG Monoblock // Podi // Magnaflow // Forge // Kicker // Kenwood // JHM stud conversion // Tint //15mm H&R spacers // Hardwired Passport 8500 X50 // 034 Wiring Harness // Hawk HPS // 034 Blockoff Plate // MKIV Euro Switch

Veteran Member Four Rings bigblue's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 Jetta

Pull the stereo out and remove the hvac controls and push all the plugs in on the hvac controls. One of mine was loose so it would only blow burning hot air in my girlfriends face when I turned the ac on.
    05 USP 1.8t A4 Tip | F4L FrankenTurbo | TT225 Injectors | Apikol SMIC | Powergasket | Forge 007 | 034 HFC | 034 Motor Mounts | Stern Transmission Mounts | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | APR Snub Mount | B5 S4 Front Brakes | AWE boost gauge | K&N Filter | 2.0T Coils

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have a similar problem - hot/cold mixing and side/side control is inconsistent. To get (mostly) consistent cold AC I put my temp controls (both sides) to "LO" and not rely on the auto temp/fan control - just adjust fan control manually. Seems like the climate control system mixes in hot air on the passenger side otherwise and it blows lukewarm regardless of the temp settings.

How to I scan the climate control codes? Same OBDII connector under the driver's footwell?

I'll also have to try the trick of removing the control unit and reseating connectors...that sounds a lot simpler than replacing vent/flapper motors and sensors...
    2003 Audi 1.8T Quattro
    2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.3T
    2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie
    1998 Saab 900S 2.0T Stage 1+ (sold)

Veteran Member Three Rings BerNur's Avatar
    AZ Member #

replacing the flapper motors is not that hard you unscrew the glove box and unscrew the flapper motor unplug it replace it then reverse order thats it.. you just have to know which 1 is at fault..

AZ Member #

Are all the flapper motors accessible from behind the glove box? I thought I would have to pull apart the whole dash...that would be very nice.

I can hear various clicks and other noises behind the glove box after I turn the car off - they go on for several minutes. I figured maybe the motors were trying to get back to a parked position and are obstructed or something. Any one know if there is any kind of diagnostic guide and explanation of fault codes on-line? I haven't found much on this forum about these problems.
    2003 Audi 1.8T Quattro
    2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.3T

Veteran Member Four Rings bigblue's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 Jetta

My car clicks for awhile after I shut it off too and I don't have any faults stored in hvac.
    05 USP 1.8t A4 Tip | F4L FrankenTurbo | TT225 Injectors | Apikol SMIC | Powergasket | Forge 007 | 034 HFC | 034 Motor Mounts | Stern Transmission Mounts | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | APR Snub Mount | B5 S4 Front Brakes | AWE boost gauge | K&N Filter | 2.0T Coils

AZ Member #

Did some research on the site about reading my own codes - will the cheap fleabay VAGCOM cable and freeware software work to read the climate control codes, or do I need the real Ross-Tech version?
    2003 Audi 1.8T Quattro
    2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.3T