Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Reggieroo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 Audi S6 Avant, 93 V8 Range Rover classic.

allroad-Coolant symbol flashes in the morning when cold!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    On a few occasions now that the cold weather is starting to creep in, the coolant symbol flashes on a cold morning after start up. It flashes for a few minutes then goes out & only does it if it's a cold morning, you can start it in the afternoon when the weather is warmer & nothing flashes up.

I looked it up in he drivers manual & it say that it's either coolant level too low or the coolant temp is too high. I've checked the coolant level (an hour after using it) & it was fine, I put a spot in as I thought maybe when it's cold it goes down a little but the symbol still flashes up for a few minutes on cold mornings. It's obviously not temperature too high so could it be?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 2.7T A6 6MT

When this happened to me, it was my coolant level low and it was because my aux pump was leaking. I had a spot on the ground in the middle of the car at the back of the engine bay. I have no answer for warm vs cold except for possible expansion that keeps the sensor happy when it's warmer out. You can also try and look underneath the manifold to see if you see pink coolant. If you do, your aux pump is leaking.

Veteran Member Three Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

my guess is that the coolant level sensor is on its way out

they tend to do that flashing thing when they are failing
    the oil level sensor on my ar does similar things
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 180k, slightly more modified. . .

For all your detailing needs
    Longs Peak Elite Detail

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

Senior Member Three Rings mithril's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What is the coolant level in the morning before you start the car? (ie. when it's completely cold) You coolant level will always be slightly lower when cold than when at operating temp, that's why you're always s'posed to fill when cold, and that difference could be enough to trip the coolant level sensor.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mithril View Post
    What is the coolant level in the morning before you start the car? (ie. when it's completely cold) You coolant level will always be slightly lower when cold than when at operating temp, that's why you're always s'posed to fill when cold, and that difference could be enough to trip the coolant level sensor.
    That's exactly what I thought, wanted to wait till the morning to check but the misses goes out before I'm up so will have to do it Saturday morning. I'll check it then & see if it's a tad low.

Senior Member Three Rings mithril's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ya I've had this cold start coolant level issue happen several time in various VAG cars, it's always been that the coolant levels are low and liquid contraction is enough to trip the sensor. Hell, I've saw a similar issue with brake fluid level in my C5 after a flush. I guess some air had worked its way back to the reserviour and dropped the levels slightly. Normally never an issue, but if I started with a full WOT launch and immediately hit the brakes hard it the change in motion would be enough to slosh the fluid and trip the brake warning light. A top-up was all that was required to sort that issue out too.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Checked it in the morning before start up & the coolant level is fine.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Noticed something odd today. I started it up, the coolant light came on again so I went on with the journey & noticed that the temp gauge hadn't moved but stayed on 60. I also had the climate on high but it never got that hot in there as expected. I looked it up in the manual & it says that the gauge should go midway to about 90.

Wondering now if I have a dodgy thermostat?

AZ Member #

This is for 2005's but wonder if it is something similar...

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Coolant%2...%20weather.pdf
    -Joe-
    '08 A4 2.0T Q
    '01 Land Rover Disco II
    '99 Porsche Boxster

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    This is for 2005's but wonder if it is something similar...

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Coolant%2...%20weather.pdf
    Interesting reading.