Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings jimbro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 Denim Blue Avant

Aftermarket alarm, factory key fob?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I don't know if this is the right forum but I wanna know if its possible to run an aftermarket alarm with the factory key fob. If so, how is it done? This is for a 02 a4 avant 1.8tqm.
    Last edited by jimbro; 10-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    6mt 2.7 a6 with a million horsepower
    Items for Sale

You would need a compustar alarm. If I remember correctly, they have alarm arm & disarm inputs so you can trigger the alarm with your factory fob.

It would definitely be some work to get it working like you're envisioning, and the range would be as limited as your factory fob, obviously.

What I chose to do with my car was use an aftermarket key fob and use a factory valet style key so I didn't have to carry a useless flip key.
    -dre

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
    I don't know if this is the right forum but I wanna know if its possible to run an aftermarket alarm with the factory key fob. If so, how is it done? This is for a 02 a4 avant 1.8tqm.
    Yes, we have units available here that are designed to be either add-on alarms to factory units or to oem locking systems without alarms. They are triggered in different ways but the most common is via the number of flashes of the indicator when switched on and off.

I have had no experience with these. I would rely on a quality installer for advice and fitting. I prefer 8520 solution of using an aftermarket alarm/key fob and using a factory key.