Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings vLeuv's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Power steering noise/fluid bubbles

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Seems like the first "cold" day of the year, my power steering starts whining. And I top it off w/ fluid and everything is fine.

Last night temps got to ~50 around here and this morning, what do you know... time for some more fluid. I realize there is probably a slow leak somewhere (plan on fixing with the Lucas Stop leak on a warmer day). But usually topping off the reservoir fixes the whining.

This time I still get really faint whining at low speeds only while turning tight (granted I only drove for about 5 minutes today), looked in the reservoir and noticed a bunch of tiny little bubbles?

My question is the faint noise/bubbles due to the fluid still being cold (will it go away after driving for >20 min)? Or do I need to flush the lines and put new fluid in?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8T

when was the last time you flushed the ps system? my ps was whining too, added some auto-rx drove around for 1000 miles, flushed fluid and whining stopped...this is what came out when i flushed it...

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8T

btw, clean the filter at the bottom of the reservoir with brake cleaner when you flush it...all kinds of junk builds up on it over time...

AZ Member #

When I topped it off yesterday it was empty... I personally haven't ever flushed my ps fluid. I had the car regularly serviced up until about a 11 months ago (lost my job and ridiculously priced Audi service was the first cost I cut, not jobless for 11months just no full-servicings) I've done some oil changes, and had a few other things maintained at an Indy shop but never the p/s fluid

Not really sure whats involved for a 1.8L... I searched and saw a write-up/DIY for 3.0L

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by vLeuv View Post
    When I topped it off yesterday it was empty... I personally haven't ever flushed my ps fluid. I had the car regularly serviced up until about a 11 months ago (lost my job and ridiculously priced Audi service was the first cost I cut, not jobless for 11months just no full-servicings) I've done some oil changes, and had a few other things maintained at an Indy shop but never the p/s fluid

Not really sure whats involved for a 1.8L... I searched and saw a write-up/DIY for 3.0L
    not to worry, i have a 1.8 too and the process is exactly the same...in fact i actually used the 3.0 DIY...the tube and attachment to drain the fluid were like $15 bux at home depot...do you know how many miles you have on the fluid? it should be light green in color like an apple jolly rancher...mine looked like motor oil...

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by jonan View Post
    not to worry, i have a 1.8 too and the process is exactly the same...in fact i actually used the 3.0 DIY...the tube and attachment to drain the fluid were like $15 bux at home depot...do you know how many miles you have on the fluid? it should be light green in color like an apple jolly rancher...mine looked like motor oil...
    btw, if my steering/rack & pinion leak wasn't covered by the CPO, i would have had to fork out like $1,500 bucks at the stealer...i don't think they flushed the fluid though because it was pretty bad when i flushed it...

def do it though to prevent a more expensive repair bill later on...

AZ Member #

there wasn't any fluid in the reservoir when I topped it of yesterday so I really couldn't see what the condition of the fluid is. Can't imagine there is more than a 3 or 4k miles on it.

Will the bubbles settle after running it for a little bit (making the noise go away)? I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to car troubles (Oil pressure -> engine fail/replacement around 25,000 miles ago) so I didn't want to drive around on it much with it still making the noise.

AZ Member #

btw thanks for helping out man, After seeing your picture of the gross/black power steering fluid I'm definitely going to flush mine out soon.

But since I have to add fluid once a year (first cold day, literally every year b/c of my assumed slow leak) how much old fluid do you think could still be in there now?
    Last edited by vLeuv; 10-04-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Deactivated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by vLeuv View Post
    btw thanks for helping out man, After seeing your picture of the gross/black power steering fluid I'm definitely going to flush mine out soon.

But since I have to add fluid once a year (first cold day, literally every year b/c of my assumed slow leak) how much old fluid do you think could still be in there now?
    just use the auto-rx to get rid of any build up...put it this way...

i drove around for two months with a leaky coolant flange and had to add a gallon of water every few days...when i finally fixed it, i had to flush the coolant 6 times before the water came out nice and clear...