Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings in2thenightaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A6 2.7T 6MT

cleaning combi valves

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    has anyone removed and cleaned their combi valves? any tips for this?

i replaced my SAI pump (original one would not kick on during cold starts, bought a used one and sounded like a high pitched hair dryer so i rebuilt but still didnt work, and finally bought a good one from a junk yard) and cleared the codes (SAI system - insufficient flow banks 1 and 2) and within 2 or 3 cold start ups, the CEL came back on. Im assuming the combi valves are either clogged or need to be replaced. any tips on how to actually remove/clean them? once they are out, i saw one person used carb cleaner but not really sure how. im guessing just spray a bunch in and try to work it around to clear all the soot out. just want to make sure i dont do anything to damage the valve.

TIA
    Nick
    -Nick
    OEM + 03 A6 2.7T 6-spd APR, 2Bennett, ASP, JHM, Hotchkis, Southbend, Mangaflow, SuperSprint, VMR, and some home-brew goodies

Veteran Member Four Rings belinko's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi 1.8T QM

If you're in there you might as well just replace it. IMHO it's not worth farting around to determine whether is good or bad if it's already out and it hasn't been replaced recently.

Good luck getting it out. On the A4's is a knuckle bleeder.
    1.8L, JE pistions, IE rods, APR stg3+, GT28 Turbo, Setrab, ER comp. FMIC, APR HFC, Milltek Cat-back, APR 91, 93, 100 - CM FX 300, CM 240 LWFL, JHM 4:1, AMS SS, RS4 Motor Mounts - 355mm Alcon 4 pot, 300mm Alcon S4 - Stasis/Ohlins MS, Hotchkis Front and Rear, Stern adj. CA Front, 034 adj. CA Rear - 18x8.5" Work CR Kai wheels, NT-01 & Dunlop Z1 star spec - RS4 Front bumper and grill, Tow Strap, RS4 E-codes - SPA Technique Dual Digital gauges Oil & Water temp, Oil & Boost pressure, RS4 Door Handles

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A6 2.7T 6MT

Thanks. I figured Id pull them out (heard its a PITA too on the 2.7t) and clean if I can and check to see if they are working. I read to test them have vacum hooked up to the one end and then try to blow through on the other end to test if they are working. Hopefully I can just clean them instead of replacing them (at about $200 a piece) since I have already invested enough time and money into getting this CEL cleared so I can sell the car. I stopped in at PureMS and they said most of the time they can just be cleaned and dont need to be replaced.
    -Nick
    OEM + 03 A6 2.7T 6-spd APR, 2Bennett, ASP, JHM, Hotchkis, Southbend, Mangaflow, SuperSprint, VMR, and some home-brew goodies

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Check out my post here to lessen the PITA when replacing the combi-valves:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ve+tool&page=2
    2002 allroad 2.7T w/ Tiptronic
    2010 Jetta SE 2.5L w/ Tiptronic

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A6 2.7T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise View Post
    Check out my post here to lessen the PITA when replacing the combi-valves:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ve+tool&page=2
    Thanks, I actually just foudn this thread a few minutes ago and was starting to read through it. look like a lot of fun!
    -Nick