Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

97 Audi A4 Cold start issue, replaced coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, no codes...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My 97 A4 1.8t is having a issue when the engine is cold (sitting over ~8 hours), it does not start up easily. I usually crank it for a few seconds, stop, then give it another go and it stumbles for a second and smooths out.

I went and did the coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, and plugs to no avail. I also ran 2 bottles of techron through the past 2 fillups (thinking that intake valves could be carboned up which would cause a bad cold start with the carbon soaking up fuel).

At this point, I am noticing that when I put the key in the ignition, I do not hear any priming, which leads me to wonder about the fuel pump relay. On a second thought however, if this was bad, would the car not start at all?

I guess I am asking should I be hearing a fuel pump priming sound when the key is inserted into ignition and turned to on?
    what controls this?

Any other insight onto cold start issues? Thanks in advance!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

check the clear hose inside the fuel tank, had similar issues fuel was bleeding back , had a hole in it

Veteran Member Four Rings GetBoosted84's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro / 88 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Do you have an oem pump or a walbro? The walbro units bleed off pressure when they aren't on.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

it is a OEM fuel pump- I will be attempting to jump the fuel pump relay today and check out what happens-