Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings Trev's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b6 a4tq, 95 Eagle Talon (Rip)

Map controlled thermostat fault code

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    17701 - Map controlled engine cooling thermostat (F265): Short to plus
    P1293 - 001 - Upper limit exceeded

This DTC keeps coming up. Any ideas as to what may be the cause?

I'm guessing thermostat needs to be replaced? Just wanted to confirm with you guys first. This doesn't seem to be a common issue. Most people just replace them when they start to leak...
    Some Go, No show
    02 Qtip, Apr II+ 93Oct, tt-225 injectors, Ecode fmic, W/M Injection, Magnaflow 16601,TT225 Down Pipe, VMR test pipe, APR TIP, Forge 007, Vag-Com, Podi V2, RS4 LSB, ECS Snub, USP front lower, S4 Front Brakes, Slotted/Dimpled Rotors f/r, SS Lines f/r, 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 RPM 505's, RNS-E

Wish List
    Custom fab intake heat shield, Custom fab system in trunk, Adjustable Coilovers, S4 blades, DTH side skirts

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Audi A4, RIP 2003 Audi A4
    Items for Sale

You need to replace the thermostat housing with sensor. The sensor is bad. I just did mine the other day. When I took the thermostat housing out the sensor was all corroded. Ordered mine through Europaparts, like 80 bucks. There is also a writeup on how to change the housing which is spot on.
    2005 A4 1.8TQM - New South Vent Gauge|034 RSB|2.75" FMIC|GHL 2.5" Catback|PSi Concepts TD05H-20g|PSi Concepts Exhaust Manifold|Turbo XS EWG|Motoza tuned|
    RIP 2003 A4 1.8TQM

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

can you just change sensor or is it built into housing?

Quote Originally Posted by POPO View Post
    You need to replace the thermostat housing with sensor. The sensor is bad. I just did mine the other day. When I took the thermostat housing out the sensor was all corroded. Ordered mine through Europaparts, like 80 bucks. There is also a writeup on how to change the housing which is spot on.
    is it possible when i flushed coolant last month i screwed this up? will this damage car driving with this code?

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 909 518 BC
    Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G

Software Coding: 0016751
    Work Shop Code: WSC 13873
    1 Fault Found:
    17700 - Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat

(F265): Open Circuit
    P1292 - 004 - No Signal/Communication -
    Last edited by juttin3; 09-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    17701 - Map controlled engine cooling thermostat (F265): Short to plus
    P1293 - 001 - Upper limit exceeded

This DTC keeps coming up. Any ideas as to what may be the cause?

I'm guessing thermostat needs to be replaced? Just wanted to confirm with you guys first. This doesn't seem to be a common issue. Most people just replace them when they start to leak...
    Quote Originally Posted by POPO View Post

Just vag-com'd my car tonight and got...

Engine:
    P1293

So I should change the thermostat housing, engine coolant temperature sensor behind the engine and their is another right next to the thermostat? So I should order 2 green coolant temp sensors?
    Rally North America, (VA to CO), July 6-11th, 2014 Link to my Team No Texting's Donation Page for Multiple Sclerosis!

IG: downhilla4

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 CC VR6 Sport

The thermostat has a heater, not a sensor. MAP controlled thermostat There are two sensors. The green four pin sensor on the back of the motor and the gray 2 pin sensor in the lower radiator hose.