Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 B8 Aruba Blue (discontiuned) 2.0T

USPS parcel to Canada

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi, I have a question here. Has anyone received a parcel through USPS to Canada? How long does it take? Does Canada Post handle the shipment when it arrives in Canada or USPS deliver to me? also how long would it take? I am asking because I have a shipment coming in from RAI for a Snow Performance Stage II methanol kit. thank you.

Veteran Member Three Rings LowUFO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

USPS drops it at the border. Can Post takes it from there. It can take as long as three weeks or as short as one week.
    2008 A3 S-Line. Revo reflashed. sold for being a crappy fwd car in the snow..
    B7 black S4

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    96 Nissan 240SX

It will only take long if it gets stopped at customs
    otherwise USPS is generally pretty quick

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the prompt replies. I knew I should of upgraded my shipment to UPS, oh well that's what I get for taking the free shipping offer.

Veteran Member Four Rings headshok2002's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 VW Passat Highline wagon

Did they ship USPS First Class, Priority, or Global Express?

First Class can take up to SIX weeks... it usually takes about 2-3. Priority is approximately 5-6 business days, iirc. And Global Express is 2-3 days, again, iirc.

Veteran Member Four Rings Siggiepop's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 . Bus Pass

Quote Originally Posted by LowUFO View Post
    USPS drops it at the border. Can Post takes it from there. It can take as long as three weeks or as short as one week.
    Exactly what he said. Ive received somethings in under a week. It varies

AZ Member #
    My Garage

wow, I am not sure. they gave me a tracking number like this.VF XXX XXX XXX US, which is not even a tracking/label. when I called USPS and gave them this invoice number they told me that I can't track it using that because of security reasons.

Veteran Member Four Rings headshok2002's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 VW Passat Highline wagon

USPS tracking is a joke anyways. Well, unless you like being reminded that 'your package was delivered last week!'

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^^that's what I am worried about. I am even more worried that they might lose my package!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can put the tracking # into Canadapost and it would give you updates.
    Be glad that they didn't use UPS cuz you'll get raped with brokerage charges.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^^oh really. I just want the peace of mind. but anyways they shipped my order without an invoice I got one via email PDF style. but I don't think I can track it unless the item has reached to our side of the border.

Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

I had an item that sat with customs for almost 10 business days before they finally released it.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

USPS - goes to Canada Post. If your lucky, you have a depot just down the road from you if you aren't home.

FedEx/UPS/DHL will come by your house maybe once, find out that you aren't home, sends it to their depot which is 30-100km away and open 8-4 mon-friday. Canada Post, 5min walk for me :)

you choose which one I'd go with..

time wise - 2 weeks for any shipment usually.
    2014 Ibis RS5 w/ Ti. Package

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus
    Items for Sale

I ship to/from Canada and US about once a week. USPS Priority, Express, and First-Class are all turned to CanadaPost. USPS Global Express Guarantee (GXG) is turned over to FedEx. USPS Priority takes 7-10 business days whereas USPS Express takes 3-5 business days. GXG takes 1-3 business days.

Here are some tips about customs, taxes &duties:

USPS Priority and Express - declare value under $100 and check the "gift" box. No customs or duties upon delivery! If it's over $100 and/or the "gift" box is not checked, you pay $5 for USPS Priority ($10 on USPS Express) on top of GST+PST. These are flat-rates and are often considered "customs clearing charges." The amounts may have gone up recently so I'm not too sure on the actual dollar amount of these flat-rates.

For FedEx and UPS, unless all taxes and duties are paid for when the sender ships the package, you will be required to pay a hefty amount upon delivery. FedEx, UPS, and DHL charge "customs clearing charge" of $30 on all packages, even if the actual value of the item is below $30 and a gift. Sometimes, businesses make you pay taxes and duties at the time of the purchase. The same rules apply, but you pay these fees at the time of check out, not at the time of delivery.

Also, USPS does not use a "tracking" number. They use a "delivery confirmation" number, which as the name implies, just proves the item has been delivered. On USPS.com or Canadapost.ca , you can enter in this "delivery confirmation" number and get some updates as if it was a tracking number but not always. Also, of the 100+ packages I've sent and received, only one package sat at customs for a week for no reason.

Also, another thing that is nice about USPS/CanadaPost, If you miss a parcel or letter, it gets delivered to the closest post office. With UPS, DHL, and FedEx, it gets sent back to the hub, which is usually out in the boonies so it'll take a little while to get there. Not to mention, you have to call the 1-800 number before 5-6pm to get a "will-call" placed on the package so they can prepare it for pick-up that night (usually have a 2-3 hour gap to pick it up that night, if not the next day).

Hope this has helped! If you have any more questions or need clarification, please do ask!
    Last edited by zachf88; 08-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.
    2007 Audi RS4 - Daytona Grey

2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus - Monsoon Grey

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Also, you can track a USPS package on CanadaPost.ca usually after the item has been accepted and processed through that particular post office (All post offices send packages to main hub, then gets sent onwards) which should be around 12-24 hours.

The correct USPS Priority DC# is LL ### ### ### US. USPS Express DC# are usually EL ### ### ### US. Express usually starts with "E" (L can be any letter btw)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^^thanks alot for the information. I am now at ease with RAI shipping my item via USPS. After all, USPS is actually indeed a good method of shipping within North America.

Senior Member Three Rings Tiny2000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4, B6 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by naemcivic View Post
    I knew I should of upgraded my shipment to UPS, oh well that's what I get for taking the free shipping offer.
    UPS will kill you with extra charges. I despise them, and will no longer order online if they only list UPS as a shipping option. I've been charged an extra $25 or $30 waaaay too many times by UPS.

Stay with USPS and you'll get your package just fine, it just might take a bit longer and you have the extra "excitement" of not knowing where your package is :)
    2005.5 S4 - Milltek DP and exhaust
    2004 A4 3.0 Avant - Tein coilovers, S4 swaybars, rear spoiler, RNS-E & DVD
    http://www.drmartintang.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I just found out, in some provinces, you only pay GST on top of the customs clearing charge.

Just in Halifax, we pay HST (GST + PST) so I thought all provinces were like this.

Senior Member Two Rings Mr. Goodwood's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny2000 View Post
    UPS will kill you with extra charges. I despise them, and will no longer order online if they only list UPS as a shipping option. I've been charged an extra $25 or $30 waaaay too many times by UPS.

Stay with USPS and you'll get your package just fine, it just might take a bit longer and you have the extra "excitement" of not knowing where your package is :)
    I have the same experience with UPS. I get hit with duty and $30 service charge everytime. USPS is hit an miss with duty, but I don't get slammed with a $30 Service charge. When ever I buy stuff from the US I always request USPS express.

Veteran Member Three Rings DaveS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I ordered a deck kit for my car once, it cost $29.95.

Shipping was $12 on top of that.
    DHL fucked it up and brokerage was a further $62.
    Then there was a $45 HST charge
    My $30 deck kit cost me damn near $150, when I called DHL to complain it was already too late and they claimed to have no way to reverse it. It wasn't worth the hassle to argue with them, but I'm pretty sure when they cleared it they put the value down as $299.50.....

Just be careful in general, if you ever get a COD you don't like, deny the package and have it sent to the hub/office. Call the shipping company and sort it out before you give them a penny unless you never want to see a refund, ever.

Also, this is your friend: www.thefinalcost.com
    2001.5 VAST Stage3 **** Silver * 6 Speed
    2001.5 Completely Stock * Imola * Automagical

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

That is an awesome site! Thanks Dave for sharing!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yup, thank you Dave. I have forwarded this site to all my friends!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I just got my package today. It only took 6 business days from RAI to my doorstep here in North York. I am wondering which service they use to expedite my package in 6 business days? Thumbs up for RAI for hooking it up and also thumbs up for USPS charging next to nothing for Brokerage fee!

Veteran Member Four Rings bunnn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    e92

As someone previously mentioned, it can be a week or up to 3-4 weeks. It really depends on whether customs holds/delays the release. USPS/Canada Post never charged me brokerage so I like them, but not for bigger items.
    Cheers!
    ~Ben

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok I have got another parcel coming from the US. Does anyone know what this means? Does this package require a signature? or does Canada post just drop it in front of my house?

Label/Receipt Number: CJ17 XXX0 00XU S
    Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
    Service(s): International Parcels

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 09, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 . Bus Pass

Just means it was received.
    No signature.
    Dropped off at boarder.
    Can post takes over.
    Depending on size of package it can be dropped off at your door or you get a notice to pick it up at the closest Can post.

had multiple things through usps shipped and thats the process every time

AZ Member #
    My Garage

the scariest part is, I can't even track this package.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 . Bus Pass

happens the tracking/updating process is not upto date compared to UPS/fedex etc etc. It will be fine! you're too paranoid hah

AZ Member #

From experience I've received shipments from all 3 - USPS, UPS, Fedex. They all charge brokerage and taxes/duty if the item was declared/insured for full value and not marked as gift.

If you're buying $20 items then go ahead and take the chance with shipping it as gift and undervalue it but if it's a $100 item and it's delegate as $20 gift then you will only be insured for that amount.

Ups always charge brokerage up front, fedex bills you later, and USPS usually don't charge brokerage or taxes for items less than $100 unless it doesn't qualify for NAFTA

Veteran Member Four Rings Mc Suly's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AUDI B7 SL÷WP÷KE

USPS sucks.

You should go with UPS.
    frankenTurbo 295.6WHP/322.5WTQ

Veteran Member Three Rings A4.Rob's Avatar
    AZ Member #

USPS doesnt charge duty and brokerage fees. I have got numorous packages over the years including a couple in the past month. Never any hidden fees. To be quite honest delivery time isn't any longer then UPS or Fedex.

UPS and Fedex are garbage.

Veteran Member Four Rings bunnn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    e92

Quote Originally Posted by naemcivic View Post
    Ok I have got another parcel coming from the US. Does anyone know what this means? Does this package require a signature? or does Canada post just drop it in front of my house?

Label/Receipt Number: CJ17 XXX0 00XU S
    Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
    Service(s): International Parcels

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 09, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
    Actually, I think this only means that the shipper has created a shipping label..doesn't necessarily mean that it's shipped. USPS does suck when it comes to tracking but it's pretty much out of their hands once it reaches the border line. I wouldn't worry too much, it should be fine.
    Cheers!
    ~Ben

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah, I guess I am just paranoid. The problem is I have a different shipping address then the buyer's name, because I have to sneak this mod. by my fiancee. I am worried that they might ship this item to the credit card holder's address.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 . Bus Pass

^ don't worry i had a different shipping address than my billing address.
    All my items arrived within 1-2-3 weeks. Hassle free, hidden fees free.
    That is my experience over the past couple years.
    Don't worry about it

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 1.8t USP

So after reading through this thread, I too was kind of curious about this and was looking for better ways to ship things over the border.

I found this website https://www.kinek.com/ it's basically a drop off area near the border that is near you and it's totally free to sign up, although some charges do apply, which I've asked about.

This only applies to the Niagara/Buffallo area:
    Drop off area in Lewiston that charges $10 per package for packages up to 70lbs
    the other, is located in Buffalo- let me get you that locations pricing
    Packages 1-10lbs: $5
    Each Additional 10lbs up to 100lbs: add $3
    Skid/Large Package Pricing (100lbs minimum): $27.5 (any lift gate fees charged by the courier are the responsibility of the customer)
    Each Additional 100lbs, or part thereof: add $7.50

the Lewiston location does not have any addtional storage fees- they will hold the package for 30 days
    the buffalo location's Storage Fees: All items under 20lbs will not be charged a storage fee. No storage fee will be charged on items over 20lbs if picked up within 15-days of delivery. After 15-days, $1 per day will be charged.
    buffalo will also hold the package for 30 days, but you can incurr additional charges (shown above)
    And duty fees would obviously depend on your item which you can ask about, either through customs or Kinek's customer service.

For additional info, their customer service is very helpful and will promptly answer your questions through an online IM on their website. (kind of like facebook, instant messenger). I am not a member of the site and the person on IM answered my questions without any hesitations. Hope this helps others as well.
    - JAY

USP CLUB MEMBER #1000

Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by Siggiepop View Post
    ^ don't worry i had a different shipping address than my billing address.
    All my items arrived within 1-2-3 weeks. Hassle free, hidden fees free.
    That is my experience over the past couple years.
    Don't worry about it
    2nd. If you entered in a shipping address, it'll get sent to your shipping address. Never had issues either with stuff getting delivered elsewhere.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings brainpan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    sk8 banana

Ive used different billing and shipping addy a lot of times with usps, and no complaints. I prefer USPS over UPS always saved alot because at the boarders like others have said. I had a billing address from GTA and the shipping address was in Kincardine, no problems

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by neova View Post

If you're buying $20 items then go ahead and take the chance with shipping it as gift and undervalue it but if it's a $100 item and it's delegate as $20 gift then you will only be insured for that amount.
    Can. Post has a minimum of $100 insurance on every letter/parcel. So whether it is valued at $1 or $99 it will have insurance (for 'free') up to $100. You can of course pay to have this insurance value raised to whatever amount you desire. So value it at $20 and pay to have it insured to $200 or whatever you want. The increasedcost for the insurance premium will be less than the increased duty you will pay on the correct value.

Veteran Member Four Rings Calbee's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

thanks whoever brought this threaad back up cause i was having questions about this issue. problem solved now

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by adam_a4 View Post
    Can. Post has a minimum of $100 insurance on every letter/parcel. So whether it is valued at $1 or $99 it will have insurance (for 'free') up to $100. You can of course pay to have this insurance value raised to whatever amount you desire. So value it at $20 and pay to have it insured to $200 or whatever you want. The increasedcost for the insurance premium will be less than the increased duty you will pay on the correct value.
    No, the insured value is tied directly to the declared value. Either you take a chance by declaring the item below value to save on duties/taxes or you pay full duty/taxes on the real value of the good and be insured up to $100 for free (and pay extra insurance fees thereafter).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast