Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Four Rings pOrKcHoP07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    21778
    My Garage
    '85 E30 318i
    Location
    Yonkers, NY

    Update: Wipers stuck in the middle of the windshield!

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    New Issue:
    So I had the issue of my wipers stopping in the middle and it turned out to be that the nut on the linkage was loose. With the help of manguyen, I was able to get it back to normal. This worked for a week and now my wipers move really slow...I think the linkage has seized due to rust etc so I will need to "refurbish" it.

    I am a noob and searched, but what's the fuse number for the wipers? Everytime I start my car they attempt to move and I feel that I will burn the motor out with the seized up linkage.

    Thanks!

    Old Issue:
    So my windshield wipers function correctly except they do not return to their resting place on the bottom of the windshield. I searched and apparently it is out of alignment and I need to realign the nut or linkage? I looked at the wiper arm and the right one look like it popped out..I can see a white threaded piece etc...

    Does anyone have a DIY to realign this? From what I read: pull cover on the top of the engine bay and adjust the nut...but I think there's more to it then just that.

    I don't think it's the motor or transmission as it works correctly...

    I appreciate the help!
    Last edited by pOrKcHoP07; 08-18-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    AKA: masterforu2nv

    Current Mods:
    Debadge. 3000k DDM Tuning HID Fogs. 5000k DDM Tuning HID Kit. AWE Exhaust. Window/Fog Vag Mod. VMAXX Coilovers. Enkei Raijins. Adam Rotors. Hawk HPS Pads. SS Brake Lines. RAI Testpipe. Racetec FMIC. JHM SS. Motoza Stage 1 Chip.Evolution Racewerks TIP.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2006
    AZ Member #
    12611
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Items for Sale

    this happened to me, its quite and easy fix. if you take out the rain tray and look in to the wiper linkage on the driver side. you should see like a brass nut, losen that and rotate those arms 180 degrees. wish i could explain better, but there is a DIY on here. that nut tends to loosen and the wipers stick in the middle.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings pOrKcHoP07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    21778
    My Garage
    '85 E30 318i
    Location
    Yonkers, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by manguyen View Post
    this happened to me, its quite and easy fix. if you take out the rain tray and look in to the wiper linkage on the driver side. you should see like a brass nut, losen that and rotate those arms 180 degrees. wish i could explain better, but there is a DIY on here. that nut tends to loosen and the wipers stick in the middle.
    I have everything off except the rain tray. In order to remove the rain tray I need to remove the wiper arms right? I took off the nuts etc but the wiper arms won't come up..I think once I have the arms off I can get to the rain tray and then tighten down the nut
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    AKA: masterforu2nv

    Current Mods:
    Debadge. 3000k DDM Tuning HID Fogs. 5000k DDM Tuning HID Kit. AWE Exhaust. Window/Fog Vag Mod. VMAXX Coilovers. Enkei Raijins. Adam Rotors. Hawk HPS Pads. SS Brake Lines. RAI Testpipe. Racetec FMIC. JHM SS. Motoza Stage 1 Chip.Evolution Racewerks TIP.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2006
    AZ Member #
    12611
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Items for Sale

    i'll be back in 5 mins, im going to run out to my car and snap a picture for you

    back:


    you should see the nut, the little brass arm should be facing to the left, if you wiper is in the middle, you'll see if facing towards the right. i messaged you my number if you need help. its the nut thats in the center of the picture thats back a little ways
    Last edited by manguyen; 08-12-2010 at 05:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2009
    AZ Member #
    48969
    Location
    Mass

    Your main wiper linkage is probably seized.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2006
    AZ Member #
    12611
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Items for Sale

    ^^^ nope, his wipers still work. just default position is up.

    read this, dont click link in the thread

    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...t=stuck+wipers

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings pOrKcHoP07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    21778
    My Garage
    '85 E30 318i
    Location
    Yonkers, NY

    Manguyen you are the man! Thanks for talking me through it..The hardest part was getting to that nut!

    Everything is dandy now!!!!!
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    AKA: masterforu2nv

    Current Mods:
    Debadge. 3000k DDM Tuning HID Fogs. 5000k DDM Tuning HID Kit. AWE Exhaust. Window/Fog Vag Mod. VMAXX Coilovers. Enkei Raijins. Adam Rotors. Hawk HPS Pads. SS Brake Lines. RAI Testpipe. Racetec FMIC. JHM SS. Motoza Stage 1 Chip.Evolution Racewerks TIP.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings pOrKcHoP07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    21778
    My Garage
    '85 E30 318i
    Location
    Yonkers, NY

    Does anyone know what fuse to pull for the wipers? The linkage seized up and I don't want the motor to burn out.

    Thanks!
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    AKA: masterforu2nv

    Current Mods:
    Debadge. 3000k DDM Tuning HID Fogs. 5000k DDM Tuning HID Kit. AWE Exhaust. Window/Fog Vag Mod. VMAXX Coilovers. Enkei Raijins. Adam Rotors. Hawk HPS Pads. SS Brake Lines. RAI Testpipe. Racetec FMIC. JHM SS. Motoza Stage 1 Chip.Evolution Racewerks TIP.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2006
    AZ Member #
    12611
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Items for Sale

    wtf, your wiper system is going to S%#T.....

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings pOrKcHoP07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    21778
    My Garage
    '85 E30 318i
    Location
    Yonkers, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by manguyen View Post
    wtf, your wiper system is going to S%#T.....
    haha yea it is!
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    AKA: masterforu2nv

    Current Mods:
    Debadge. 3000k DDM Tuning HID Fogs. 5000k DDM Tuning HID Kit. AWE Exhaust. Window/Fog Vag Mod. VMAXX Coilovers. Enkei Raijins. Adam Rotors. Hawk HPS Pads. SS Brake Lines. RAI Testpipe. Racetec FMIC. JHM SS. Motoza Stage 1 Chip.Evolution Racewerks TIP.

  11. #11
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 04 2009
    AZ Member #
    45917
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Dolphin Gray
    Location
    Quincy,MA

    Ok, so I have the same original problem as the OP, my wipers are stuck in the middle. So I have followed exactly what you guys are saying and it doesn't seem to be helping... I feel like an idiot....

    I took everything off, got to the nut, turned the nut so it brought the brass arm around to face the left like manguyen's picture. Then I bolt it everything back up make sure the wipers are in the right spot. After I turn the car on the wipers work but stop right in the middle again. I go and look back under the hood and the arm has moved to anywhere between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock.... I made sure the little nut was tight, but the more I try and tighten it the more the linkage moves... I made an opposite force on the linkage so I could try and tighten the nut and the linkage would stay put... and I still got the same result. Am I missing something?????

    Help would be appreciated! Thanks!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 12 2007
    AZ Member #
    17213
    Location
    Milwaukee

    remove the wiper arms and pull the linkage out for better observation

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 23 2008
    AZ Member #
    29120
    Location
    Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by OhhFourA4 View Post
    Ok, so I have the same original problem as the OP, my wipers are stuck in the middle. So I have followed exactly what you guys are saying and it doesn't seem to be helping... I feel like an idiot....

    I took everything off, got to the nut, turned the nut so it brought the brass arm around to face the left like manguyen's picture. Then I bolt it everything back up make sure the wipers are in the right spot. After I turn the car on the wipers work but stop right in the middle again. I go and look back under the hood and the arm has moved to anywhere between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock.... I made sure the little nut was tight, but the more I try and tighten it the more the linkage moves... I made an opposite force on the linkage so I could try and tighten the nut and the linkage would stay put... and I still got the same result. Am I missing something?????

    Help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    I just did this fix this week.

    Don't use the little brass nut to move the wipers.

    Loosen the brass nut then use a crescent wrench to grab the brass rectangle piece. Make that piece completely parallel with the 2 torx screws on the bracket. Then tighten that brass nut back down.

    If you only use the nut to move the whole wiper linkage, you are still turning the motor. That's why you need to loosen the nut on top and sort of lift and turn that rectangle piece.
    Looking to trade/sell my JL Audio 500/1v2 amplifier - BRAND NEW still in box + wiring etc... for TT225 injectors

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Three Rings AvantJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17 2009
    AZ Member #
    45130
    My Garage
    Too much shit.
    Location
    Longview, WA

    Quote Originally Posted by pOrKcHoP07 View Post
    Does anyone know what fuse to pull for the wipers? The linkage seized up and I don't want the motor to burn out.

    Thanks!
    It's #36--green 30 amp, middle row, second from the bottom. Hope this helps.
    **Brett**

    2002 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Brilliant Black/Platinum with some stuff.
    ************************
    My car and I have a lot in common--we're both kind of old and slow, but still manage to look pretty fucking cool.

  15. #15
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 04 2009
    AZ Member #
    45917
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Dolphin Gray
    Location
    Quincy,MA

    Quote Originally Posted by turboSpartan View Post
    I just did this fix this week.

    Don't use the little brass nut to move the wipers.

    Loosen the brass nut then use a crescent wrench to grab the brass rectangle piece. Make that piece completely parallel with the 2 torx screws on the bracket. Then tighten that brass nut back down.

    If you only use the nut to move the whole wiper linkage, you are still turning the motor. That's why you need to loosen the nut on top and sort of lift and turn that rectangle piece.

    Looks like its fixed! *crosses fingers* lets hope it stays that way! Thanks for the advice turboSpartan! And thanks for the initial write-up manguyen!

    Saved me the embarrassment of looking like an idiot with my wipers up 24/7 and the cash of getting it fixed elsewhere!



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.