Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Audi Drive Select---Worth it?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am on the cusp of ordering a 2011 S5 cab, and trying to decide if the Drive select is worth 4k. I am not going to be racing the car and am looking for the Drive Select to provide more of a comfort ride at times to counteract the more rigid suspension and wheels. Any one care to add their opinion to this? The sooner the better.

Thanks,

-jason

Veteran Member Four Rings Ryan_T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 2.0T

Yes. It's like having 3-4 cars in one. If you care about comfort/customization at all, can't skip ADS.
    Ryan - flickr

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi TT QC / 2010 Audi A4 Avant

Let me first say I don't own an S5 Cab but I did spend a long weekend in one and put a decent amount of kms on it. My B8 is an Avant without ADS.

So, in the S5 I found it was an all or nothing situation. Felt way too loose and wayward in Comfort. Perhaps I was just used to Dynamic but not once did I feel Comfort was of any use. The Auto setting is a mix bag depending on how you drive. What I did like was the steering remapping. Hands down much better than what is in a non-ADS B8.

My only concern is the systems longevity. I had a loaner A4 with ADS and it felt crashy and nothing like what a prem sedan should feel like. Granted it was a loaner and we all know how hard they are driven.

I can't recall but doesn't the S5 not come with some of the functions of ADS?

If you do get it be sure to VAG it so it defaults to your Individual setting. I did this for the owner of the S5 and he was over the moon.

As Ryan stated, the customization of it all is a great thing - Fav again is the steering, shocks IMHO didn't suit the S5 in Comfort one bit.

Either way, you are going to love the S5 Cab. I almost cried giving it back! The attention it go was just plain nuts.

Good luck and congrats.

P

Senior Member Three Rings ACowabunga's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Like CK said, the ability to customize how your car will behave is well worth it (for me at least). I like the fact that it changes the shift points (in dynamic) and just firms everything up when I want it to. I like the sports differential the best though because it can really feel it working on the cloverleaf on-ramps/off-ramps and even some interchanges (55 North or South and merging onto the 22). I had a similar set up in my last car and it was a must have for my S5. You could always go with just the sports rear diff or ADS lite (as they call it on the forums) if you don't feel it to completely worth it. I say if you can swing it, do it. Good luck with the decision. Either way you're going to have a great looking car that will definitely turn people's heads.
    2010 Audi S5: Meteor Grey || Tuscan Brown

AZ Member #

its worth it if you have a extra $4k to spend, but you can always get the sports rear diff for $1100 which still gives you some of the ADS features.

AZ Member #

Big time yes....soft ride and relaxed handling for highway cruising to instant tight ride, responsive handling and higher RPMs for the twisties....all at the push of a button...ya just can't beat it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have drive select. In "Auto" mode, I notice some savings in gas. Comfort mode is a big plus when carrying females. Females could care less about good handling when they ride your car. So comfort mode is where it is at when cruising with hot babes. ;-)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi Q5, 2007 Porsche GT3

If your car is a dd, sport diff I'd all you need. The s5 is a Cushy ride in all modes.

If you have 3k to burn sure, but in that case if sport ride is what you desire get coilovers
    Izzone
    2007 Porsche GT3
    2010 Audi S5
    2010 Audi Q5
    2009 Club Car Precident Signiture Series

AZ Member #

Thanks for all the comments. I went ahead and ordered it. The comfort ride was important for the other passengers that will be in the car occasionally.

-jason

Senior Member Four Rings crisp74's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    school bus

Quote Originally Posted by jtalley View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I went ahead and ordered it. The comfort ride was important for the other passengers that will be in the car occasionally.

-jason
    the very same reason why i did. hearing the wife bitch daily about the suspension on my current car was enough to make me spend the extra cash. you can't have you cake though and will not be able to put coilovers in. i just purchased some springs as that's all you can do with the drive select cars.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I would skip it personally. You're paying 3 grand just for the shocks. I find the Cab to have a great ride without it. I'd just get the Sport diff.
    Ol' Whitey - 1996 A4 2.8 quattro 5MT Arctic White w/ Remus
    #2 - 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT Quartz Gray -Prem, Heated seats, Convenience, Bluetooth, Ipod, Bose w/ AWE exhaust (1/08 - 1/11)
    #3- 2011 A4 6MT Quartz Gray - Prem Plus, B&O, Titanium - Full Gen1 AWE dual exhaust, Eurocode Everything, 3M Clearbra, Piano Black Dash Surround, MY10 rear headrests, Huper Optik, S-line Stoneguards
    #4 2014 Audi S4 6MT - Monsoon + Black optics
    Porsche Sales

B8 Titanium Club Member #4

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AofC_RR View Post
    I would skip it personally. You're paying 3 grand just for the shocks. I find the Cab to have a great ride without it. I'd just get the Sport diff.
    Don't you also get essentailly an APR type engine tune also?

AZ Member #

"Shocks"....not quite. Adjustable suspension dampening, remapped throttle response (holds gears longer), adjustable steering response.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4str View Post
    "Shocks"....not quite. Adjustable suspension dampening, remapped throttle response (holds gears longer), adjustable steering response.
    I guess I will have my impression in 10-12 weeks (ughh)

-jason

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4str View Post
    Uh no, I know what I'm talking about. The ONLY difference between the Sport diff package and ADS is shocks. With sport diff you still get the adjustable throttle/transmission and steering characteristics and the sport diff. ADS only adds suspension tuning to that to the price of nearly $3k. Hence my statement, I'd skip it for the extra $3k over the sport diff package.
    #2 - 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT Quartz Gray -Prem, Heated seats, Convenience, Bluetooth, Ipod, Bose w/ AWE exhaust (1/08 - 1/11)
    #3- 2011 A4 6MT Quartz Gray - Prem Plus, B&O, Titanium - Full Gen1 AWE dual exhaust, Eurocode Everything, 3M Clearbra, Piano Black Dash Surround, MY10 rear headrests, Huper Optik, S-line Stoneguards
    Porsche Sales

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Uh no, I know what I'm talking about. The ONLY difference between the Sport diff package and ADS is shocks. With sport diff you still get the adjustable throttle/transmission and steering characteristics and the sport diff. ADS only adds suspension tuning to that to the price of nearly $3k. Hence my statement, I'd skip it for the extra $3k over the sport diff package.
    You don't get the adjustable steering without the ADS. As I understand it, the throttle mapping isn't adjustable either if you only have the sport diff. You need the ADS package for that.

AZ Member #

That is my understanding as well, the sport rear differential package just has the ADS controls and the Sports Rear Diff. While the ADS Package contains everything (Dynamic steering, suspension, engine/transmission settings, and the ADS controls). I chose the ADS because I wanted it all as opposed to just the rear diff even though it is quite awesome in itself.

AZ Member #

Lol look i work for Audi, I know what I'm talking about. Search the S4 forum it's been discussed there.
    Porsche Sales

AZ Member #

I understand that you do work for Audi and that the information you have posted has always been solid so I have no reason to doubt you. I can't speak for the S4 because I do not have that first hand knowledge as you do but would the packages be the same for the S4 and the S5 Cab? I am just wondering why the A5/S5 brochure and Audi website would list the rear diff package as only the rear diff and the controller buttons if there was actually more involved. The Audi site only lists Sports Rear Differential and Audi Drive Select with the Sports Rear Differential Package while it lists Damping Control, Dynamic Steering, Sports Rear Differential, and Audi Drive Select for the Audi Drive Select Package. This is why there are varying schools of thought about this, thanks Audi. The great thing about the forums is that it is a great way to clarify things that the manufacturer sometimes leaves out of their publications and helps better inform the enthusiasts.
    Last edited by ACowabunga; 07-08-2010 at 01:43 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi Q5, 2007 Porsche GT3

It is just 3000 dollar shocks if you get sport dif

All modes are cushy, this is a touring car not a track car
    Izzone
    2007 Porsche GT3
    2010 Audi S5
    2010 Audi Q5
    2009 Club Car Precident Signiture Series

AZ Member #

read lots of posts on drive select versus just plain sports diff. i'm buying a 2012s4/prestige/6MT/rear sports diff. question is whether to upgrade to drive select option that has SD built in.
    afaict from reading all the posts the difference boils down:

rear sports diff: get w/ both
    engine/transmission shifts: only with DS (but with MT you control this anyway)
    suspension damping: only on DS
    steering: speed-dependent assist on both *i think*, but ratio adjustment only w/ DS.

so my question is: if the big wins w/ DS are suspension damping and steering ratio adjustment ** what are the default settings for these features on a NON-DS car? will they be set closer to the comfort end or dynamic end of the spectrum?
    said another way: i'd be happy without DS if suspension and steering are closer to the dynamic end of the spectrum. i'd happily give up the ability to select comfort modes for these. but if the opposite is true; meaning that they are set closer to comfort and i couldn't stiffen the ride or tighten the steering ratio, i'd be bummed.

appreciate any help!!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 MB Blk/Blk E350 Sport

Yes. End of thread.
    2007 A6 , Blk/Blk/Sport - Traded for S5
    2009 S5 6M , Phantom Black/Tuscan Brn/Loaded - Totaled
    2009 S5 6Tip , Phantom Black/Blk/Loaded SOLD - 30* tint/KW ADS Coil Overs, Überlegenes Stabilisatoren System/RS5 instrument trim/ClearBra/BB Sport Exhaust/AWE S-filter/Hoen zenon/Blk Ops Grill & Valence/LoJacked/trunk panel net/led's & 42 Catch Can

AZ Member #

This thread ended when OP said he got it... Good decision.

:: The Nazi sled! :: http://instagram.com/ur_mxrz :: RAYS/Volk Racing | D2 Forged | AP Racing | KW | APR | Eurocode | Rawtek ::

Account Terminated Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tanning bed

it ain't worthy at all! I have it and I haven't used it at all.. I was excited when I got the car but switching modes and dealing with a retarded slow MMI got me insane, in dynamic mode the car feels totally artificial. I've driven cars without and feels just great! enough power to f around.. the more electronics they add on cars the less experience we get.. I got sick of tolerating the car

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    ♕ S550, Escalade

Dynamic all day every day... Good choice
    2012 Audi A5: Prestige | Phantom Black | []S-Line
    Mods: 35% Tint | 20" Modulare M14's (3pc) Wheels | H&R Coilovers | Black Optics Grille | Lamin- X Smoked Tails | | KW EDC Kit
    Coming Soon: AWE Exhaust

Deactivated Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I found that it wasn't worth it at all. The difference in ride comfort is negligible. In fact, I couldn't really tell a difference at all. So why add the extra cost, weight, and complexity to the car when I couldn't feel a difference in the ride anyway?

And BTW, the thread didn't end because the OP made a decision. Plenty of people are likely to read this thread in the future if they find themselves in a similar situation. To those people, I'd say that you should definitely do your own test drive before making your decision.

Deactivated Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Izzone View Post
    All modes are cushy, this is a touring car not a track car
    I don't know if I'd ever call any A5/S5 "cushy".

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Skip it.

The Sport diff is good.

The " Audi Drive Select" (which in the rest of the world is just the buttons that control the comfort, auto, and dynamic settings, which in turn control the throttle response, sport diff [if u have it], adjustable dampers [if you have it], and dynamic steering [if you have it]) is good. Now in the US they force you to get the dynamic steering and dampers as one package, called Audi Drive Select. Personally I think the dampers are very good, but if you plan on changing the coils then not worth it.

The biggest issue in the US package for me is the dynamic steering. Personally I think its shit. Sure its an intriguing system and makes the car "feel" sportier, but its completely fake. It just makes the wheels turns more than you expect them to. I tried it out and hated it. Personally I think its a step backwards in driver control. I would definitely skip the dampers just because you have to get the dynamic steering with it.

Established Member Two Rings edunwody's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

Well, I have S5 on order with ADS and SDiff. After listening to you guys Im starting to think that I should change the order. I still have time. I read everything I could yesterday on coil overs not working on the ADS and that might be the reason to remove ADS all by itself.

Decisions, Decisions.

E
    2012 S5 Prestige, Sports diff, NO ADS
    Stock wheels with H&R OE SPORT SPRINGS H&R 15MM SPACERS Front, 20MM SPACERS Rear

]
    2002 SC 430 Lexus, DD 2004 Mini Cooper S Works Package

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

And I am glad you are still talking about this so I along with others want make a $3,000 mistake plus tax.

It's hard to test drive a 6MT. They are not on the lot much. And my Audi dealer is 89 miles away.

E
    Stock wheels with H&R OE SPORT SPRINGS H&R 15MM SPACERS Front, 20MM SPACERS Rear

]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

After reading pros and cons I have canceled ADS and kept SDiff. Going to use the savings to see if I can change color to Daytona Grey. With MT I don't think I am loosing much.

E

]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

Houston, we have a problem!

Just got a call from my dealer saying that can't get Daytona Grey. I am not amused.

E

**-
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.834627,-83.629568
    Sent from my iPhone

]

Senior Member Four Rings ActivS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Nissan GT-R, 2013 Audi S5, 2013 Toyota Prius, 2013 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Really? What's the reason?

Also, I would not get ADS as a 3k option. Not worth it....especially if you are getting a MT.
    2013 S5 | Daytona Gray | Build Thread
    2009 GT-R | Black Obsidian | Full bolt on tuned for E85 | 570 WTQ and 550 WHP | 10.74 at 131.65mph

Previous
    2008 S5 | Ibis White | Build Thread
    2008 A5 | Matte Gray

ActivFilms.TV
    Instagram: @Cfeulner @ActivFilms

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

Ordered it without ADS. Only sport diff. I have a build number for Feb 9. Dealer had no allocations left for 2012 and had to do a swap with another dealer. Phantom Black and Audi says they can change the color. Called AOA and they are checking into it.

E

**-
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.879148,-83.717963
    Sent from my iPhone

]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

TYPO: Says they Cant change color.

E

]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

That was weird. It posted twice.

E

**-
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.879150,-83.718141
    Sent from my iPhone

]

AZ Member #

I wonder if they're limiting the color dur to the special edition model being offered. Odd....

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Lexus SC430

Quote Originally Posted by ACowabunga View Post
    I wonder if they're limiting the color dur to the special edition model being offered. Odd....
    That's it. We are trying one more option to get them to do it. Build date is Feb.9th.
    I have no one to blame but myself. I sat on the fence too long. This is the last month you can order a 2012 S5, then they are history. I have a Phantom Black locked in so I want loose it. Should know the final outcome tomorrow afternoon. We have gone all the way to the top, so, lets see what happens.

Either way, I will not fret. Much...

E

]

Senior Member Four Rings mr shickadance's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tucson

i have not experienced the exact a5/s5 ads, however my mothers lexus, and fathers merc both have a form of 'comfort control' in which the dampening is adjustable from comfort, sport, and something of the middle. now i have first hand felt the difference between the 3 different settings in each car, and don't get my words twisted, there is a difference, there is a noticeable difference between the 3 settings for sure.....would i pay $3,000 for that difference......no, i could see how some people might like this, but for me, i think there are better areas to drop $3k on than the difference that i would notice

again, i have not experienced it on an audi level, but i think my knowledge between my folks cars was enough to push me to not select the ADS option when i was looking for my S5
    Scott

I don't even have an audi....i just love me some 'zine

America is all about speed, hot, nasty, bad-ass speed - Eleanor Roosevelt

DIY: How to make yourself look like an idiot.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mr shickadance View Post
    i have not experienced the exact a5/s5 ads, however my mothers lexus, and fathers merc both have a form of 'comfort control' in which the dampening is adjustable from comfort, sport, and something of the middle. now i have first hand felt the difference between the 3 different settings in each car, and don't get my words twisted, there is a difference, there is a noticeable difference between the 3 settings for sure.....would i pay $3,000 for that difference......no, i could see how some people might like this, but for me, i think there are better areas to drop $3k on than the difference that i would notice
    Without ADS, I wouldn't hear the end of it from my woman. It has paid for itself within the first 10 minutes the first time I gave her a ride. The only complaint she has left is about how low it is (she drives an SUV).

:: The Nazi sled! :: http://instagram.com/ur_mxrz :: RAYS/Volk Racing | D2 Forged | AP Racing | KW | APR | Eurocode | Rawtek ::