Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring VRockzNY's Avatar
    AZ Member #

B8 A4 HID Fog and low beam trouble

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought a 6000k HID kit from HID Concepts since I saw them promoting on Audizine, but I noticed after 5 minutes the lens gets so hot that you can't even touch them, and also, inside the lens seems to be getting a little cloudy. I was thinking of just replacing them with Hoen bulbs. Plus I changed my low beams to 6000k with bulbs from HID Concepts and to me it seems like there's a haze. I'm not sure if it's cheap bulbs n i dont know what to do now! Does anyone have any similar experience? thx

Veteran Member Three Rings ACowabunga's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't know. I replaced my bulbs with the 6000k from HID Concepts and I haven't had the issue to which you are referring. Have you ensured that you sealed the rear of the headlight assembly properly? I have heard of other members changing the bulbs and not sealing the cover snuggly. I did my homework on this issue and I can't say that there have been any issues of "cheap bulbs" because I did not want to end up replacing my ballasts if they did go bad because of the install. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    2010 Audi S5: Meteor Grey || Tuscan Brown

Active Member One Ring VRockzNY's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ACowabunga View Post
    I don't know. I replaced my bulbs with the 6000k from HID Concepts and I haven't had the issue to which you are referring. Have you ensured that you sealed the rear of the headlight assembly properly? I have heard of other members changing the bulbs and not sealing the cover snuggly. I did my homework on this issue and I can't say that there have been any issues of "cheap bulbs" because I did not want to end up replacing my ballasts if they did go bad because of the install. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Thanks I'll take a look to see, but the major issue is that I have a kit from them in the fogs as well and the fog light lens seems to be clouding up. Even this morning I looked at the fogs and the lens seems slightly hazed. I'm not sure if the fogs were made to handle HIDs, but i see a lot of people here have them.

Veteran Member Four Rings DavidB8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

did you get 35w or 55w?
    Reaching Me:Please don't ask me questions on the forum or send me private messages as it may be a while before I respond.
    If you need something email me directly at David@audienthusiasts.com I don't frequent this forum very often.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB8 View Post
    did you get 35w or 55w?
    10$ Canadian tire money that its 55w :)
    2014 Ibis RS5 w/ Ti. Package

Veteran Member Four Rings DavidB8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well it could explain the heat and discolouration of the lens
    Reaching Me:Please don't ask me questions on the forum or send me private messages as it may be a while before I respond.
    If you need something email me directly at David@audienthusiasts.com I don't frequent this forum very often.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    NA

Hey,
    This is Mike from HID Concept.
    sorry to hear that you are having some issues.
    This is actually the first time, hearing any issues related to our HID kits for such matters.
    Did you get Blesk HID kit for your fogs? Believe or not, we've been carrying Blesk kits for appx. 2 years and we have not had any defective issues as of yet.
    As far as the fog lamp getting cloudy, it sounds like something may be melting inside the fog lamp, which usually happens when either bulb is not mounted/placed properly or the bulb may have something on the glass part that is being melted on it.
    I suggest you to remove the fog lamp and check if the bulb was mounted incorrectly.
    BTW, does this cloudy problem happen on both sides of fog lamps?
    I also pmed you.
    Thank You

HIDCONCEPT.COM - We Specialize in OEM/Aftermarket automotive lighting products.
    E-mail: info@hidconcept.com
    T: 1-888-579-5917
    F: 347-474-7348

Veteran Member Four Rings hender's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 2.0T

I bought some bulbs from eBay, the ******s sent me a wrongly-labeled 100W bulb so it melted my goddamn housings. not happy about it, but whatever.

moral of the story: buy from HIDconcept, even with this isolated incident.
    sweet multi-spoke stock 17"s | 20% tint | crackfiller | few scratches where I closed the garage door on the bumper | 4x4 ride height | matte black hood | di-noc CF interior trim | plasti-dipped parts | pirated vag-com | 50lbs of sound equipment | couple of small stone chips on the hood | APR stg 1 | RS-Mesh Grille

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do any of you guys know what bulb would be the best replacement for my stock halogen bulbs? Not looking for a bulb to provide 'looks', I'm looking for the bulb that gives me the best vision and road illumination - the roads in SoCal are going to s**t and I need to see these damn potholes BEFORE I hit them.

I've research Silverstars (osrams seem like they might be too bright), Phillips, etc - but can't find any concrete information on which one is best. Also, I don't want a bulb that's going to piss off all the other drivers and have them flashing me, or get the CHP pulling me over

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2013 Audi S4 | KW V2 | VMR 710 + 5mm | V1 Hardwire

Veteran Member Four Rings NWS4Guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Range Rover Evoque 2010 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by mattstorm View Post
    Do any of you guys know what bulb would be the best replacement for my stock halogen bulbs? Not looking for a bulb to provide 'looks', I'm looking for the bulb that gives me the best vision and road illumination - the roads in SoCal are going to s**t and I need to see these damn potholes BEFORE I hit them.

I've research Silverstars (osrams seem like they might be too bright), Phillips, etc - but can't find any concrete information on which one is best. Also, I don't want a bulb that's going to piss off all the other drivers and have them flashing me, or get the CHP pulling me over

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    For fogs, I went with Hoen Endurance, which are the very yellow bulbs, they work great for what they are meant for - illumination of the road in fog and low light/hih dispersion scenarios.

HID fogs are for looks not for results.
    Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

2010 S4 Prem+, Quartz Gray, S-tronic, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Gray Birch
    StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR v2.2 Stage 2 w/pulley + exhaust, v2 Coolant System
    Alu-Kreuz, Apikol rear diff mount, 034 transmission mount

Veteran Member Four Rings B_Boy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2012 Mazda 3i
    Items for Sale

i can chime in here on this. i have a 35w kit 6000k on my fogs and they eventually fogged up and discolored a bit.

well today i took the housings off to clean them (got so sick of the fogginess) with just water and guess what? the shinny stuff on the inside came off.....WTF?!

conclusion....ANY HID aftermarket system just produces too much heat for the stock fog light housings.

There is only 2 solutions (one of which only exists).....

1. hoen xenonmatch bulbs.

why? even though they are not HIDs, the colors matches and generates the same heat as the factory h11 halogen bulbs.

2. someone needs to produce a replacement projector fog light housing that can handle the HID heat.

SO no offence HID concept but its just not going to work.

I jus ordered some new OEM housings and hoen bulbs. PROBLEM SOLVED.
    b_boy
    '15 Q5 3.0T P+ Tech, Sport, S-line, B-O, HGB
    Upgrades coming soon:
    Tint: 15% F/R, 50% Windshield, LED Color Match Fog Lights/Int/Ext,
    SQ Black Grille & Pedals, VAG-COM, storage bins, Blacked-OUT Valance,
    Splitter & W/S Trim, KW HAS, MillTek, Apple TV

Veteran Member Four Rings ThePiombino's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've been using Luminics for 1 1/2 years+ now and no problems. So I wouldn't say HOEN is the ONLY solution...
    09 A4 2.0T Quattro - Tip - Black/Black /// MODS: APR Stage II+ | AWE CB Exhaust | 034 HFC l EC HFIC Pipe | Forge DV Spacer | 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Interior Trim | 3M Chrome Grille Trim | SG Supreme 28 | Debadged | Fly Eyes Kit (f&r) | Needle Sweep | Window/Moonroof control w/Keyfob | Seat Belt Chime Disabled | "Wink" Disabled | Double Unlock "Beep"

Veteran Member Four Rings NPuter's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 MBZ CLK350 Cab/'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R

I think I am going to go with the Luminics JDM yellow...

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    NA

Quote Originally Posted by B_Boy View Post
    i can chime in here on this. i have a 35w kit 6000k on my fogs and they eventually fogged up and discolored a bit.

well today i took the housings off to clean them (got so sick of the fogginess) with just water and guess what? the shinny stuff on the inside came off.....WTF?!

conclusion....ANY HID aftermarket system just produces too much heat for the stock fog light housings.

why? even though they are not HIDs, the colors matches and generates the same heat as the factory h11 halogen bulbs.

2. someone needs to produce a replacement projector fog light housing that can handle the HID heat.

so, you bought a blesk kit from us as well and had the melting issue?

HIDCONCEPT.COM - We Specialize in OEM/Aftermarket automotive lighting products.
    E-mail: info@hidconcept.com
    T: 1-888-579-5917
    F: 347-474-7348

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    I think I am going to go with the Luminics JDM yellow...
    Let's get some pics once you get those installed. I have the Luminics Titanium whites with Lamin-x overlays and I'm starting to get sick of the look during the daytime.
    09 A4 2.0T Quattro - Tip - Black/Black /// MODS: APR Stage II+ | AWE CB Exhaust | 034 HFC l EC HFIC Pipe | Forge DV Spacer | 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Interior Trim | 3M Chrome Grille Trim | SG Supreme 28 | Debadged | Fly Eyes Kit (f&r) | Needle Sweep | Window/Moonroof control w/Keyfob | Seat Belt Chime Disabled | "Wink" Disabled | Double Unlock "Beep"

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B_Boy View Post

I had the same issue with DDM tuning 35W HID kit on my car before and I changed it to hidconcept's blesk kit.
    No more issue with Blesk kit though. DDM kit is much cheaper but you do get what you pay for IMO.
    I doubt that you have Blesk.
    Anyways, I went through hoen before but halogen is halogen. it can never be even close to true HID light.
    what you need to do is, find a good quality kit instead of cheap made in China kits for $30-50.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mctuners View Post
    what you need to do is, find a good quality kit instead of cheap made in China kits for $30-50.
    +1

Veteran Member Four Rings B_Boy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2012 Mazda 3i
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by mike@hidconcept View Post
    so, you bought a blesk kit from us as well and had the melting issue?
    no i tried a few different HID systems and they all produce too much heat. nothing melted but it would fog up the housing and discolor the inside.

anyone know how to take apart the fog light housing?
    b_boy
    '15 Q5 3.0T P+ Tech, Sport, S-line, B-O, HGB
    Upgrades coming soon:
    Tint: 15% F/R, 50% Windshield, LED Color Match Fog Lights/Int/Ext,
    SQ Black Grille & Pedals, VAG-COM, storage bins, Blacked-OUT Valance,
    Splitter & W/S Trim, KW HAS, MillTek, Apple TV

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Can u guys post pics of your HID lights because i want to put them in my A4 B8 and i want to see how they look.