Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Audi A6 2001 4.2lt v8 need help with oil change

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi

I am looking on doing a service for my audi a6 2001 4.2lt v8, i was wondering if any one knows what type of

transmission oil

Engine oil

oil filter

spark plugs to use,

would be much appreciated.

thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings redneck truck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 TTQ TDI Roadster 6MT, 2001 A6 4.2 6MT, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 5MT, 2006 CBR1000RR

Engine: use 8 qts (7.6L) API service SJ oil, oem filter. Dealership offers Castrol Syntec 5w40, but opinions vary.

Transmission fluid: VW ATF G 052 162 A2. 3.5-4.0L, or 9L for "new fill". Don't drain the automatic transmission unless you really know what you're doing and you have the equipment to get the fluid level correct. Replace filter at the same time.

Veteran Member Three Rings Hambone101's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1967 Mercury Cougar, 1987 Honda CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by OZaudi View Post
    Hi

I am looking on doing a service for my audi a6 2001 4.2lt v8, i was wondering if any one knows what type of

transmission oil

The stock auto trans is a "lifetime" or maintenance free trans. You don't want to start messing with that unless you have the proper tools

Engine oil

Easy to do once you get a couple under your belt. I used Castrol Syntec 5w40, then on my last oil change I tried Mobil 1 5w30, I'll be going back to Castrol on my next change. But it's like redneck truck said, it's all personal preference. Also when you do your own oil change, make sure you have a new crush gasket for the drain plug or you won't get the right seal on the oil pan.

oil filter

I usually just go to the dealer, the only other place around me that carries it is Napa, but that's if that have it in stock.

spark plugs to use,

My car's in the shop getting a starting problem fixed, I can find out what my mech recommends

would be much appreciated.

thanks
    See bold
    redneck truck - Everybody quieted down when the guy up in the back of the theater asked his date for a Come flavored slurpee.

Veteran Member Three Rings A4edwin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 a6 4.2 sport, 92vw cabriolet, 96 sidekick, 03 thaoe, 02 variant 1.8t

The life time tranny fluid is questionable many people have done. It with out problems just make sure you know what your doing If you do it.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

For the transmission, thepannel beater pulled the front radiator support off the car
    and it must of leaked trans fluid. I started the car but when I put itmin reverse drive etc it
    revs out and dosent drive. I have been told it's because the trans Is low on oil. That's why I have to refill it or might just change the hole oil. Can u please let me know what to do
    cheers thanks for ur information

Registered Member One Ring floridaquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1996 A4Q & 1972 911T

"The stock auto trans is a "lifetime" or maintenance free trans."

I have had personal experience with this. My old 2000 4.2L A6 and my wife's Lexus RX300 that both claimed "Life of the transmission fluid". And the dealer was correct, it was the life of the transmission when both the Audi and Lexus expired at about 150,000 miles due to transmission slipping in 4th gear. Both vehicles were dealer maintained and not abused.

My advise is have the fluid and filter changed at a shop that has the tools and correct trans fluid. The Audi has no dipstick, it has an overflow port on the bottom of the of the pan which has to be reinstalled while overflowing at a specified transmission fluid temp.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by OZaudi View Post
    For the transmission, thepannel beater pulled the front radiator support off the car
    and it must of leaked trans fluid. I started the car but when I put itmin reverse drive etc it
    revs out and dosent drive. I have been told it's because the trans Is low on oil. That's why I have to refill it or might just change the hole oil. Can u please let me know what to do
    cheers thanks for ur information
    Drain trans oil, drop trans pan, replace filter clean magnets, install pan with new gasket.

You need a special filling device to put trans fluid in the car or you can make one, i use a modified brake pressure bleeder. The factory fill tool is nice, but it's $300 bucks.

Fill till the fluid drips out of fill hole (car must be level not on ramps). Then start car and run trans (in park) until temps reach operating temperature (50c IIRC). Then fill until fluid drips out of fill port. install fill port plug and your done.

Life time fluid is a joke.. I once bought a starter with a "Lifetime Warranty" and it went bad so I returned it 3 weeks later and the person that sold me the starter replied .. "That sure was a short life."

I'd recommend changing fluid/filter every 50K miles, compared to the cost of a new/rebuilt transmission a couple hundred ever 50K for a trans service is very cheap insurance.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '97 A4 2.8QM, '04 allroad 2.7T tiptronic, '99 F350 V10.

Trans fluid: Buy the flush kit from www.blauparts.com. Comes with fluid, pan gasket, a few replacement bolts in case you strip one, filter, PUMP FOR FILLING, and directions. All you would need to buy after that is a VAG cable from www.alpha-bid.com and download the free vag-com software from www.ross-tech.com to get the appropriate fluid temp reading. Cable: http://www.alpha-bid.com/vagusb.html Parts: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=F2A1004%2DC

Oil change: I use Purolator "Pure One" filters. They have a silicone anti-drainback valve and better filtration properties than Mobil 1 filters. Someone online just completed a very long and detailed comparison of a few different types of Synthetic oils. Valvoline won. I use that in my allroad and Castrol GTX in my A4 (simply because I have to change the oil twice a month in it). Filter study: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html Oil Study: I lost the link and don't feel like looking again. I remember the zinc% to be .12 and Amsoil being 0. You want there to be a % as you want the oil to suspend the particles in it instead of sticking to the engine parts.

Plugs: I use NGK plugs in the allroad (2.7T) and Denso Iridiums in my A4 2.8 (cheap and work quite well in the old 12v).