Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings BrucexL33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Prius Plug-In

My Car Cranks but won't start up what's the problem?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2001 1.8t and 2 days ago i got in my car ready to drive to school and the car wouldn't start. The day before i drove the car, there was no problem with it. The car cranks and has some smell of gas coming out of the tailpipe so i was told that it had something to do with the ignition. Does anyone know what's wrong with my car? i've been stuck at home for a couple days and have no other way of transportation so i would really like to have this solved asap. Thanks for reading and to those who respond.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

- Check for codes
    - Check for spark
    - Check coolant temp in vag-com
    - Might want to pull the upper t-belt cover and make sure the belt/cam are turning while cranking

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Prius Plug-In

my friend hooked up a OBD scanner but it didn't link. i know i am not getting spark because i can smell fuel coming out the tail pipe. also the car doesnt make a noise like its about to start just cranks. so what sensors or relays should i check and where might i find them on the car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Prius Plug-In

any help guys?

AZ Member #

- Check for spark
    - Check fuse #29
    - Check for power with key on at pin #1 on the coil pack connectors (the red/green wire)
    - Check for codes with vag-com

Crank sensor, cam sensor, or rpm sensor is possible, but since the injectors are firing it is more likely ignition related (plugs, coils, etc). Another possibility is failure to perform a cold start due to a bad coolant temp sensor. I would definitely check for spark first.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Prius Plug-In

how exactly would i check for spark? and does anyone know where the ignition relay is? i just bought the car 2 months ago and there was no service manual to it so i have no idea where everything is. thanks for posting

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 A4 TQM

hey Im having the exact same problem started happening a few days ago gas smell and all but I noticed that the car was idling at 1700 rpms the last time the car was running. Ill keep you updated on what I find out I cant doing much today it pouring out but post a reply if you figure it out, thanks and good luck

AZ Member #

Pull out a coil pack, plug it back in to its connector. Put a screwdriver in the end where the spark plug goes. Create a gap between the screwdriver's shaft and a ground in the engine bay (valve cover will do). Have somebody crank the engine and see if the spark jumps from the screwdriver. If you're *really* brave, just hold on to the screwdriver shaft with your hand while your helper cranks the engine. Make sure and have a second helper to video tape though. Or just ask your least favorite sibling to do it.

The relay for the coil packs is also the relay for the ECU. It is called the ECM power relay and is located inside the ECU plenum chamber near the brake booster. The power is supplied to the coil packs through fuse #29 on the side of the dash, so you can simply check there for power. Based on your symptoms, I doubt that is your problem. But you have to start somewhere.

I suggest you proceed as follows. Depending on the results, you may want to skip some of these, or look elsewhere. This isn't a fully hashed out flow-chart, just simple things to check:

- check that the Check Engine Light illuminates when you turn the key to the ON position
    - Check for spark
    - Check your spark plugs
    - Check for codes with vag-com
    - Check coolant temp in vag-com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Prius Plug-In

okay...so i had my dad look at it. he pulled out my ECU looked at it and did something and put it back in and the car started working again... the thing that amazes me that he did it while he was completely drunk and was talking nonsense. does anyone know why it was the ecu?

Veteran Member Three Rings grillhands's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BrucexL33 View Post
    okay...so i had my dad look at it. he pulled out my ECU looked at it and did something and put it back in and the car started working again... the thing that amazes me that he did it while he was completely drunk and was talking nonsense. does anyone know why it was the ecu?
    Maybe the spirits of the three wise men took over your father's body to fix your ecu. (Jim Beam, Johnny Walker, Jack Daniels just in case no one knew
    who they are)
    If i throw a dog a bone, i don't want to know if it tastes good or not. Keep that in mind when you do someone a favor.

H&R race springs|Blown shocks|WMI kit|Forge 007|630cc injectors with Eurodyne mafless tune|2.5magnaflow custom exhaust|frount mount|FX400 6puck|Brute rods| AEB pistons|Hopes and dreams.
    K03s-Fun
    GT2X KIA-Funner
    T3/T04e 46 trim .63 a/r-Funnerest

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Disconnecting the ECU may have reset it in some way. I am having the same issue but my car over heated. I was told I blew the head gasket (wasn't true) but I replaced the head gasket, the head bolts, plugs, and did a timing job and the car is doing the same thing. It is turning over but not starting. I already checked the fuel pump, injectors, and the coil packs... I was going to pull the ECU next. It obviously worked for you. Mine is a B6A4 though. Essentially the same motor, slightly different.

AZ Member #

^Gibby, are you getting spark? B6's have an issue with water infiltrating the ECU plenum box and destroying the ECU power relay which powers the coil packs. If you don't have spark, you may want to check that.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

Established Member Two Rings hoax56's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just had this same problem today. My car was sitting for 3 days. It cranked, but wouldn't turn over. I have a check engine light thats always and this time it wasn't so it so made me figure it was my ecu. So I unplugged my negative on my battery for 1 min. to try and reset it and now it works....for now. I just hope it doesn't do this again tomorrow morning at 5am when I'm going to work lol.
    Mods:Fast intensions Cat, GHL 2.5" catback, APR stage 1 ECU, intake, H&R coilovers, 2 piece projectors

AZ Member #

^Hoax: That could be a symptom of an ECU Power Supply Relay that is beginning to fail. That is an item that does fail every now and them (not a super common failure), but it tends to be difficult for people to diagnose as it presents with odd symptoms and can be intermittent. Good Luck.

It is possible for the ECU to actually set a code for that failure, so you may want to check that out.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,

AZ Member #

Yea I was going to go get the code read out tomorrow again to see if any new ones pop up. Thanks for the heads up.
    Mods:Fast intensions Cat, GHL 2.5" catback, APR stage 1 ECU, intake, H&R coilovers, 2 piece projectors

AZ Member #

SO it did it again. I swapped my ECU to my stock one and it worked right away. I even tried switching it back just to make sure right after my stock one worked...and same thing. Looks like I need to find a place to swap my chip out. So for now...back to stock :(

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTi Vr6

Bringing this back up as mine is also doing this. The first time I checked EVERYTHING found nothing wrong. Had fuel, had spark wouldn't fire up just cranked. Eventually after several days of sitting it fired. Grrrrrr! Ok.. Drove it to work. Went to leave work wouldn't even crank just clicked. Ok... now I'm pissed. pulled the god damn ecu, opened it up, pushed down on the chip made sure everything else looked ok. Put the ECU back in gave all the wires in the plenum a good push, got in, fired on the first crank. Several weeks later it's dead again. This time it's back to cranking but not firing. I went through and pulled the ECU and fiddled with it again. This time it's not helping. This thing is pissing me off! I'm about to push it off a cliff. Is this the ECU Power Supply:

...and if so is this my issue? I'm thinking it may just be the ECU itself and am in the process of sourcing a used one...
    His:
    1998 GTi-Vr6 Tornado Red - Turbo'd (too much to list).
    1999 A4 Avant 1.8T Melange Beige - APR Stg I, Godspeed FMIC, Forge Split-R Valve, N75 "J" (Race) Valve, 3" Test Pipe, 17" Sport Wheels, OEM Sport Suspension, 034 Adjustable FPR.
    Hers:
    2008 Jetta I5 Campenella White

AZ Member #

ECU power supply relay is only present on Drive-By-Wire cars, actually.

ECU shouldn't have anything to do with the starter motor engaging, though. That would be a different problem.

When it is cranking and not starting, I would have quick look at the coolant temp in vag-com. A sensor that reads too high can make the car impossible to start. It will have spark and fuel, but the mixture will be way too lean for it to fire up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTi Vr6

Grrrrr, I've tried unplugging the CTS completely with the same results. It has to be the ECU... What about ignition switch?
    His:
    1999 A4 Avant 1.8T Melange Beige - APR Stg I, Godspeed FMIC, Forge Split-R Valve, N75 "J" (Race) Valve, 3" Test Pipe, 17" Sport Wheels, OEM Sport Suspension, 034 Adjustable FPR.
    Hers:

AZ Member #

Hey, found this thread looking for answers for my problem. Car is cranking but not starting. 2001 1.8 manual. Replaced ecu. Found dead relay, but after making it work (and proving so with tests) (#427). other notable thing is that the CEL isn't turning on for a split second while the car is "on".

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTi Vr6

Seems to be that time of year... Or that Audi's are just POS's... take your pick there... After a lot of cursing and jacking around mine is now running again. What I did was pull the connector on the CTS and crank THE SHIT out of it. It finally turned over... It ran for a few minutes I gave it some gas and it sputtered out. I let it sit for a minute cranked it again and let it idle. Been running since. I replaced the CTS and it hasn't not started again for about two weeks now. I believe the CTS was either creating a very rich condition or very lean condition on startup. I had no codes what-so-ever on mine for the CTS or anything else.
    His:
    Hers:

AZ Member #

CTS= Coolant temp sensor?

I replaced mine not too long ago. Been working fine since.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTi Vr6

Yes, but it could be at least 10+ other things (and I mean 10+). Start reading/searching.
    His:
    Hers:

AZ Member #

I've found a dead fuse and a dead relay. I'm getting gas but no spark. Tried two different ECU's as well. My car was wrongly jumped the other day (pos to neg). So I got a few shorts. I'm beginning to think I need to coils.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTi Vr6

Do you have an ICM?
    His:
    Hers:

AZ Member #

Sorry. ICM stands for?

AZ Member #

No, he has a 2001. No ICM (Ignition Control Module).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTi Vr6

So that leaves 9+ ;)
    His:
    Hers:

AZ Member #

haha. Right.