Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings B8 Phantom S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4

Angry Another "Low Coolant" Thread....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, I was out enjoying the beautiful weather today in my car when I hear a beep and see the "Shut car off. Low coolant" error message. Man, I'm so irritated right now because my dealership's service dept doesn't open on weekends and I have to wait until Monday to take her in and get checked out. I was really hoping to enjoy this weekend and take a road trip....arrrrrggghhhhhh!

Does anyone know if this is fixed for good with the metal blade replacement? I'm also a little bit peeved because I took my car in for the 5K mi service about a month ago, and asked the service manager if they could go ahead and switch out the blades preemptively so I could avoid this, but they weren't able to.

Sorry for ranting, this just really sucks, and just thinking that I'll be without my car for some time makes it even worse.....
    2010 Phantom Black Pearl S4 Prestige 6MT
    Audi Drive Select
    Carbon Atlas Inlay - Driver Assist - Black on Black alcantara
    30% Llumar Ceramic Tint all around
    APR RSC cat-back exhaust

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Audi simply need to issue a recall for the water pump problem. So many owners being left stranded because of a known defect. This is really hurting Audi's credibility and may well hurt future sales. This is no way to treat customers who have spent north of $50K on their car.
    Bish

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4

Ok, so I have a pretty shitty update to this story.

I was able to get my car to the dealership this morning by topping off the coolant with some water. Turns out I didn't have a water pump failure, but instead what they think might have happened is that a rock may have hit the radiator and caused it to start leaking. This is obviously not something that's covered under warranty, so it was my bad luck that this actually happened to me and now I'm going to be out $650 and w/o my car for the day. It doesn't seem like they will be replacing my water pump, even though they are aware that the plastic parts do tend to fail and that I have the defective plastic piece on my car.
    Audi Drive Select
    APR RSC cat-back exhaust

Veteran Member Four Rings ExhaustNote's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

That sux Rob. Can't believe I missed you at the dealership today, I was there for about 2 hours.
    ExhaustNote
    __
    RS5
    Suzuka Grey Pearl
    HRE|H&R
    activfilms.tv

Veteran Member Four Rings NWS4Guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Land Rover LR2 2010 Audi S4

Yea someone else posted that they had a piece of road trash hit their intercooling radiator a week or 2 ago and cause this
    Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

2010 S4 Prem+, Quartz Gray, S-tronic, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Gray Birch
    StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR v2.2 Stage 2 w/pulley + exhaust, v2 Coolant System
    Alu-Kreuz, Apikol rear diff mount, 034 transmission mount

Veteran Member Four Rings riegeraudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did Audi not shield the radiator enough because this doesn't happen often does it?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by riegeraudi View Post
    Did Audi not shield the radiator enough because this doesn't happen often does it?
    There is not any shielding other than the grill, look for yourself, you can see everything right there.
    Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my S4 is a precision instrument, with which I carve and dissect my way through traffic.

StopTech ST-60 BBK - Stratmosphere intake - APR v2.2 Stage 2 w/pulley + exhaust, v2 Coolant System

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4

Well, I hope for everyone else's sake that this isn't something that would happen often, cause it's pretty annoying. I was thinking of putting up a mesh screen when I get the car back, but I'm not sure how it would affect the airflow to the radiator.
    Audi Drive Select
    APR RSC cat-back exhaust

Veteran Member Four Rings Ynnekdude's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That's a shame to hear. Sorry about the poor circumstances. I would suggest looking into a mesh. I'm sure it can be done. Maybe you can then sell your own protective mesh... make a little money out of this?

Regarding the water pump:
    From what I've seen, a majority of the water pumps which failed were in very cold climates. Mine (though on an A6, same engine/problem) went out when it was below 0 degrees outside. Though it sucks you have something which may be prone to failure, I wouldn't let it stress you out too much unless you plan on going on a road trip in the winter months.
    2011 Q5 3.2 Prestige. Meteor Gray.
    2009 A6 3.0T Sedan w/19" Sport Pkg. Phantom Black.
    APR 93 Stage II+. STaSIS Exhaust. SST Intake. Stoptech ST-60. KW V1s. H&R Sways
    V1 Hardwired. LI-Dual. 18" VMR 708s w/Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s (Winter)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Mesh won't hurt things, APR's racing S4 uses it (pics courtest Josh over at QuattroWorld, who has some awesome shots and a writeup from the weekend's fun at VIR - http://www.quattroworld.com/apr-moto...romise-at-vir/ )

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 B8 SprintBlue S-tronic

Hello, guys!
    One of the first things I've done after buying this car in June'09 is installing a fine mesh screen covering intercooling radiator and condenser behind the lower half of the grille.
    Roads are nasty in Russia, especially in winter, there're plenty of - as you call it - road debris.
    I've done it without removing the front bumper, simply removing black front plastic cover atop of the radiators under the hood. Was a little tricky and took me 1,5 hours - but it works.
    Fins of the intercooling radiator are very thin and can be easily bent by little stones and insects at high speeds.
    Mesh screen is universal, made from aluminium, the colour is black - absolutely invisible from the outside.
    Sorry for my English - I'm an ignorant Russian bear... just love Audis.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Nickyracer View Post
    Hello, guys!
    One of the first things I've done after buying this car in June'09 is installing a fine mesh screen covering intercooling radiator and condenser behind the lower half of the grille.
    Roads are nasty in Russia, especially in winter, there're plenty of - as you call it - road debris.
    I've done it without removing the front bumper, simply removing black front plastic cover atop of the radiators under the hood. Was a little tricky and took me 1,5 hours - but it works.
    Fins of the intercooling radiator are very thin and can be easily bent by little stones and insects at high speeds.
    Mesh screen is universal, made from aluminium, the colour is black - absolutely invisible from the outside.
    That doesn't sound like something an "ignorant Russian bear" would do. You should give yourself more credit than that! I'm in the process of looking for some mesh to use. Probably take a trip to home depot this weekend and see what they have.
    Audi Drive Select
    APR RSC cat-back exhaust

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by B8 Phantom S4 View Post
    That doesn't sound like something an "ignorant Russian bear" would do. You should give yourself more credit than that! I'm in the process of looking for some mesh to use. Probably take a trip to home depot this weekend and see what they have.
    Thank you. As for the bear, that's just a little bit of humor
    This mesh can be shaped and cut with a scissors.
    And a little off-topic: are you from SF Bay area? Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo is my favourite movie.

Veteran Member Four Rings Ynnekdude's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thank you. As for the bear, that's just a little bit of humor
    This mesh can be shaped and cut with a scissors.
    And a little off-topic: are you from SF Bay area? Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo is my favourite movie.
    You mean you're not a bear!?
    2011 Q5 3.2 Prestige. Meteor Gray.
    2009 A6 3.0T Sedan w/19" Sport Pkg. Phantom Black.
    APR 93 Stage II+. STaSIS Exhaust. SST Intake. Stoptech ST-60. KW V1s. H&R Sways
    V1 Hardwired. LI-Dual. 18" VMR 708s w/Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s (Winter)

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ynnekdude View Post
    You mean you're not a bear!?
    Not exactly You think every Russian is a bear?
    Like Nikolay Valouyev (famous heavyweight boxer)?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4

Yes, that's where I'm from. Vertigo is a great movie. I'm a fan of Hitchcock myself.
    Audi Drive Select
    APR RSC cat-back exhaust

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So something hit my intercooler radiator and drained all my coolant too. This seems like a design issue in that it is not protected enough. I was on a freeway when I got the notice to turn off my car due to low coolant. I spoke with Audi of America and they did nothing to help as it is normal use or wear and tear. What sort of mesh or screen should I use? I have a bad feeling this is going to happen again. Why can't Audi fix this issue or at least sell a part for people who want to be extra cautious??

I am not too happy about having to put $600 into my $50k+ car after 2,000 miles.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Veteran Member Four Rings LeadToRome's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This would be an awesome and very useful project for the DIY crowd to do and document, as it sounds like it might be simple enough for the "mechanically impaired" among us to take on if we, errr, THEY had some guidance.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeadToRome View Post
    This would be an awesome and very useful project for the DIY crowd to do and document, as it sounds like it might be simple enough for the "mechanically impaired" among us to take on if we, errr, THEY had some guidance.
    I can do this, likely tomorrow I hope, just got back from a week out of town and meant to do this anyway. Shouldn't be too terribly difficult, I had the cover off to see this area from the top when I did my HID bulb swap DIY.

Veteran Member Four Rings LeadToRome's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NWS4Guy View Post
    I can do this, likely tomorrow I hope, just got back from a week out of town and meant to do this anyway. Shouldn't be too terribly difficult, I had the cover off to see this area from the top when I did my HID bulb swap DIY.
    Nice. I look forward to seeing it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeadToRome View Post
    Nice. I look forward to seeing it.
    Mission accomplished, took about 10 minutes, was pretty easy overall for most anyone to do. Editing pics and uploading them/writing the DIY, will post in a new thread soon.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings ModBargains II's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow, great idea with this mod guys!

Functional, plus it looks pretty good!
    It would definitely suck to get stuck with a big repair bill because of a little piece of debris..

If anyone is looking for some high quality mesh for a more OEM quality look, I have access to RaceMesh Grills, that I could have custom cut for this application.

Theres a lot of high quality and unique finishes available.. check it out:

Contact me at Jason@ModBargains.com if anyone is interested!

Eric Lambert | Eric@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 X 8011
    AWE Tuning | Audi Wheels | HRE Flow Form Wheels | Avant Garde Wheels
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm (PST), Saturday 8:00am-5:00pm Modbargains Blog

Senior Member Three Rings Deckdout2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi B8S4 Ibis Prestige
    Items for Sale

This is the exact reason I went ahead and upgraded to the APR CPS system. My stock intercooler failed. Nice timing too. :)
    APR Stage I & II CF Intake | APR SC Pulley | APR RSC Exhaust | APR SC Coolant System | APR ECMS Stage II v.2.0 | H&R SS 1.5F/2.0R | Hotchkis F/R Sways | Alu Kreuz Stabilizer Bar | USS F/R Endlinks | SPC Control Arms | 6000K Blesk HID & Conversion Fogs | LED Interior | 20 x 9 TSW Nurburgrings Black Chrome | 255/30/20 V12 evo | RS6 Pedals | RS6 Shift Knob | Audison/Hertz Amp & Sub | RS4 Grill | Deval CF Splitter | Facelift Flat-Bottom Wheel | S6/S7 Start/Stop Button

Veteran Member Four Rings Leor604's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ModBargains II View Post

It would definitely suck to get stuck with a big repair bill because of a little piece of debris..

If anyone is looking for some high quality mesh for a more OEM quality look, I have access to RaceMesh Grills, that I could have custom cut for this application.
    That looks a lot more durable (and is better looking) than the hardware cloth most of us have used. Bet it costs a bit more than $20!!!
    | 2011 S4 | Premium (Canada) | Quartz | Black Nappa | 6MT | ADS | Nav | B&O | SPO goodies |

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ModBargains II View Post

Theres a lot of high quality and unique finishes available.. check it out:

Contact me at Jason@ModBargains.com if anyone is interested!
    So how much would a piece of Black Chrome or Black Wrinkle cost, including cutting and shipping?

Senior Member Three Rings B8 S FOR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Go to your local hardware store 1/4" Galvanized Metal Mesh...cost me $15 and 45min of my time. Problem solved!
    2011 S4, DSG, Stasis Tune, Stasis Touring Exhaust w/Downpipes, Roc-Euro Intake aka Stratmosphere, Phantom Blk Pearl Met, Two tone Silver Nappa Leather interior, Carbon Inlays, Navi, Backup Sensors, 19" Peelers, Alu Optic Kit, Valentine 1 Hardwired, 18" VMR V710 Gunmetal/Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s -Winter Setup