Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

VIM Unlock/Firmware Upgrade for RNS-E

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can someone give me a hand with an IMG/DVD to unlock this on my RNS-E?

It's in a 2008 US RNS-E (Factory)

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings BASARAB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I can give u files and u can read a tutorial how to do it on audiforum.us

Veteran Member Four Rings bmc333's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 GTI DSG / 2006 TSX

Me too me too!
    2007 A4 2.0T-Q SOLD!

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Matt@EuropaParts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Me three!
    Matt Kapuscinski
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 201.777.0005
    Email: matt@europaparts.com
    Twitter: Specials & Discounts

Help us track our Audizine sales: Enter "MATVEJ" at checkout

Veteran Member Four Rings BASARAB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

AZ Member #

What exact firmware version is this? The file shows 0200...what's the latest firmware?

Registered Member Four Rings 00s4slvr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

latest firmware is 0260 but i you upgrade to that your VIM will be locked out so you download the 0200 files and change the 0200 to 0270 and you can use maps while retaining the VIM Unlocked

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 00s4slvr View Post
    latest firmware is 0260 but i you upgrade to that your VIM will be locked out so you download the 0200 files and change the 0200 to 0270 and you can use maps while retaining the VIM Unlocked
    What other features are in 0260? I hear it has a Bass/Mid/Treb control, as well as a 400+ song capacity on the SD card. I don't really care for VIM personally.

Where can I get 0260?

Registered Member Four Rings 00s4slvr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

anyone on the forums with the 09-10 map disc!

Senior Member Three Rings Kerby's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I park on the street.

Half the links on Audiforum.us are dead, do you think you can post a DIY?
    Soon
    HPF M3

Gone
    G37S
    B7 A4
    E39 M5
    SC300 TT

Senior Member Three Rings Kerby's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I park on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by 00s4slvr View Post
    anyone on the forums with the 09-10 map disc!
    email this guy, for $28 bucks shipped he'll mail you the newest DVD. I along with like 15 others just got ours. Works great. ovi1@rocketmail.com
    Soon
    HPF M3

Gone
    G37S
    B7 A4
    E39 M5
    SC300 TT

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1995 Chevy Silverado, 1986 Honda VFR 750, 1999 Honda VFR 800, 2004 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote Originally Posted by scmguru View Post
    Can someone give me a hand with an IMG/DVD to unlock this on my RNS-E?

It's in a 2008 US RNS-E (Factory)

Thanks!
    Did you have any luck with this? I have a module that unlocks mine, but it makes the NAV inaccurate and makes the DIS flash the radio station info.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This is great!

Veteran Member Four Rings koolade9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

Just to clarify a few things for you guys...

VIM unlock can happen a couple ways:

1. There is a hardware piece that basically interrupts the speed signal, the adverse affect is spotty gps info, and a couple other issues.
    2. Software hack... basically downgrading to one of the first sw versions (0080), and then recoding the unit via vag-com (more complex then that, but you get the idea)

Now in software version 0260, it disables video altogether, so if you have this hack done, you won't see any video regardless. The last software version to support video is 0200. You can use the latest map disc (2009) by "upgrading" your software to 0270... this is a different procedure.

All of this info can be searched for more detail.

I just want to make it clear that they are two separate things. Thanks and have a great day

Veteran Member Four Rings awdjunkies's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    sedan, avant, truck/suv

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    email this guy, for $28 bucks shipped he'll mail you the newest DVD. I along with like 15 others just got ours. Works great. ovi1@rocketmail.com
    Hmm, Hopefully he is still doing this.

Established Member Two Rings D'Angelo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did it work out for you, were you able to get the newest DVD?
    2008 A3 2.0T FSI
    APR Stage 2, Fully Loaded ECU | Full Votex Body Kit + Exhaust Tips | S3 Intercooler | H&R Rear Sway| Front Filler Plate | Aluminum Mirror Caps | 18" Drag Wheels DR19 (w/OEM centercaps) | 20% Tint | Debadged Rear

Member # 63 of Coalition of The OEM+ Audi Owners

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    sedan, avant, truck/suv

Quote Originally Posted by D'Angelo View Post
    Did it work out for you, were you able to get the newest DVD?
    If you are asking me? then YES!! lol

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by awdjunkies View Post
    If you are asking me? then YES!! lol
    lol,yes I was asking you. I am scouring RNS-E pages since I just bought a unit for my A3 off eBay and want to have everything hooked up soon as possible. Basically all I really have going for my retrofit is that bluetooth prep came factory. Glad you got your DVD! :)
    2008 A3 2.0T FSI
    APR Stage 2, Fully Loaded ECU | Full Votex Body Kit + Exhaust Tips | S3 Intercooler | H&R Rear Sway| Front Filler Plate | Aluminum Mirror Caps | 18" Drag Wheels DR19 (w/OEM centercaps) | 20% Tint | Debadged Rear

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    sedan, avant, truck/suv

lol,yes I was asking you. I am scouring RNS-E pages since I just bought a unit for my A3 off eBay and want to have everything hooked up soon as possible. Basically all I really have going for my retrofit is that bluetooth prep came factory. Glad you got your DVD! :)
    Nice. Yeah I sent for a DVD from that ovi1 person. Well when I got it I immediately inserted it and waited a few minutes for it to load and update to the latest firmware I guess. Well then my code wouldn't work. I got all frustrated and a day went by, he answered all my emails the next day and finally got it running LOL. Cool guy too.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by awdjunkies View Post
    Nice. Yeah I sent for a DVD from that ovi1 person. Well when I got it I immediately inserted it and waited a few minutes for it to load and update to the latest firmware I guess. Well then my code wouldn't work. I got all frustrated and a day went by, he answered all my emails the next day and finally got it running LOL. Cool guy too.
    How did your VIM unlock function after the new DVD install? Any new modules to buy or coding to do so that you weren't officially running sw 0260 or anything and in turn losing VIM?
    2008 A3 2.0T FSI

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    sedan, avant, truck/suv

How did your VIM unlock function after the new DVD install? Any new modules to buy or coding to do so that you weren't officially running sw 0260 or anything and in turn losing VIM?
    Well I never had VIM to begin with, so the DVD install was perfect. I have been thinking though of getting BT added on, I'll have to search to see what I need to get it to sync with my Iphone.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

koolade9, so video will not work at all on sw260 and above? only sw200 even in a EU version that's been converted to US?

Senior Member Three Rings b7a4GT30's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

correct. If you want to run a newer map you have to isntall sf 0200 but change the 0200 to an 0270 to trick the rns-e to accept the newer maps.
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

RNS-E | Rs4 Rear Sway Bar
    OEM Bi-Xenons | Bilstein / HR
    DTM Sport Shift Knob | AWE Boost Gauge
    Custom V1 Display | RS4 Steering Wheel

More to come!!

AZ Member #

thanks b7a4gt30, i'm curious though the link to the sw200 firmware on this page, does it already have the vim unlock patch applied? all i have to do is burn this disc and load it into the rns-e?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

Quote Originally Posted by bint2k View Post
    thanks b7a4gt30, i'm curious though the link to the sw200 firmware on this page, does it already have the vim unlock patch applied? all i have to do is burn this disc and load it into the rns-e?
    it's not a 'patch'... The VIM process is recording all current adaption values, downgrading to a version of eu0080 with the lock bit removed using klaus's tool, re-applying all the previous adaption values (some won't take), waiting 12hrs, then upgrading to 0200 and re-applying original adaption values again. Any firmware after 0200 will disable all video. To use 0260 maps, you need to re-write the index file to read 0270 or higher.

Those are the cliffs notes...but basically, there's no magic single-cd sw solution to unlock it...it's a process, and if you mess up, you'll brick your RNS-E...venture at your own risk.

AZ Member #

Thanks guys, hopefully this is my last question, I want to get video into a rns-e. i need the vim unlock plus this thing correct?

http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=92 + plus the aux cables?

what's the difference between this and the dietz 1417? the 1417 is the actual unit that does a "hardware vim unlock"? and the kufatec u can only use when u have the software lock done ?

Thanks in advance.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

Thanks guys, hopefully this is my last question, I want to get video into a rns-e. i need the vim unlock plus this thing correct?

http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=92 + plus the aux cables?

what's the difference between this and the dietz 1417? the 1417 is the actual unit that does a "hardware vim unlock"? and the kufatec u can only use when u have the software lock done ?

Thanks in advance.
    The kufatec IMA and dietz 1417 are both video interface devices that perform similar functions. Personally, I bought the IMA basic-plus, as it has more features and control... The dietz 1280 is a speed-signal disable switch that is a workaround for video in motion...kufatec makes one as well. Using a device like this will cause problems with the accuracy of the GPS when in use, but it does work.

AZ Member #

Thanks a million Koolade9, appreciate your feedback and patience =). I think you mentioned in the past getting the "software" unlock is better because it doesn't mess with the gps. So i'll confirm that the unit i'm getting is VIM unlocked (looking in vag com for the 250 code) and then purchase the kufatec which should have a plug and play wiring harness that simply connects to the video input on the back of the rns-e, no splicing/re-wiring yes?

Again many thanks for answering all the questions.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

Thanks a million Koolade9, appreciate your feedback and patience =). I think you mentioned in the past getting the "software" unlock is better because it doesn't mess with the gps. So i'll confirm that the unit i'm getting is VIM unlocked (looking in vag com for the 250 code) and then purchase the kufatec which should have a plug and play wiring harness that simply connects to the video input on the back of the rns-e, no splicing/re-wiring yes?

Again many thanks for answering all the questions.
    the kufatec harness is plug-n-play for the most part. Depending on what you're doing, you may need to splice a couple wires for the can & power...pretty straight-forward...

Established Member Two Rings eXcelon53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    8P A3 2.0T DSG Sport

Anybody in Southern California that can help with downgrade 0260 **> 0200 with the VIM trick so i can update to newest map? Any help would be appreciated..
    UM Tuned | UM DSG Stg 2 | APR K04 | APR Downpipe | APR HPFP | S3 Injectors | SPM Intercooler | Nuespeed P-Flow/TBP | RFD | RS4 FRV | GFB DV+ | KONI STRT/DG Eibach Springs | WALK | S3 345mm brakes | Stoptech SS Lines | Tyrolsport Deadset F&R | 20% Tint | S3 Grill | Black Back Rings | S3 DSG Shift Knob/parking brake w/Silver stitching | Osram DRL LEDs | S3 LED Taillights | S3 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel | 18" Matte Black Audi Wheels

Senior Member Four Rings fordyoz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

alright - i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for.. What is VIM??

Veteran Member Four Rings krew53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 1.8BT quattro

Quote Originally Posted by fordyoz View Post
    alright - i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for.. What is VIM??
    Video in Motion

Senior Member Four Rings fordyoz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

ah true - thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    8P A3 2.0T DSG Sport

Krew53 do you know how to do the 0260 to 0200 downgrade and VIM unlock? I saw that you're in LA..
    UM Tuned | UM DSG Stg 2 | APR K04 | APR Downpipe | APR HPFP | S3 Injectors | SPM Intercooler | Nuespeed P-Flow/TBP | RFD | RS4 FRV | GFB DV+ | KONI STRT/DG Eibach Springs | WALK | S3 345mm brakes | Stoptech SS Lines | Tyrolsport Deadset F&R | 20% Tint | S3 Grill | Black Back Rings | S3 DSG Shift Knob/parking brake w/Silver stitching | Osram DRL LEDs | S3 LED Taillights | S3 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel | 18" Matte Black Audi Wheels

Veteran Member Four Rings krew53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 1.8BT quattro

Quote Originally Posted by eXcelon53 View Post
    Krew53 do you know how to do the 0260 to 0200 downgrade and VIM unlock? I saw that you're in LA..
    I have not ventured there yet, and would also like to eventually get this done. If you find someone please let me know.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    8P A3 2.0T DSG Sport

I have to ask what is the "53" in your screen name? I know this is off topic but 53 has been an ongoing thing in my life since I was a kid. My friends actually call me "53." Haha

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    sedan, avant, truck/suv

Quote Originally Posted by eXcelon53 View Post
    I have to ask what is the "53" in your screen name? I know this is off topic but 53 has been an ongoing thing in my life since I was a kid. My friends actually call me "53." Haha
    Okay, getting a little OT here as well but for me it's always been "13" LOL

Senior Member Three Rings patastinky's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

I have SW: 0150 & HW: H70. Guess I should upgrade, no?

JHM 93 tune * JHM Solid Short Shifter * Custom Catless downpipes * Milltek non resonated cat-back exhaust * H&R Sport Springs * VMR 708 RS4 replica's 19x8.5 *

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anybody in the northwest that can help with this? (anywhere around Oregon or SW Washington)

AZ Member #

time for a upgrade