Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings MisterSorin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4 stage 3, Honda Hornet 600 120 hp

Audi S4 k04 turbo boost increase

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello, I buyed last year a audi s4 modded with k04 turbos at around 400 hp, I took out the catalytic converter and now I am going for a 500+ hp clutch and I want to increase the boost from my turbos when I am going to put in the new clutch. My mechanic told me that I have 1.2 bars in my turbos. I want to know how far cand I go with the turbo boost, can I go around to 2.0 bars or 1.5 ? or should I stay at 1.2 ? I'm a noob in mechanics so please don't make fun of me.
    P.S. sorry for my bad english if I made mistakes.

Veteran Member Four Rings BlkdoutS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4
    Items for Sale

K04s run out of steam around 25psi... when you talk about HP, are you referring to power at the wheels or crank?
    '01.5 Silver B5 S4 - Follow my build here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...4-Build-Thread

Veteran Member Four Rings Mooseimage's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi Allroad

I suggest you do not increase boost more than 1.5 bar, that is about the efficiency range of the turbos.
    GCC Rule #22 Enforcer
    marty was here: id stay away from the womb that gave birth to fail

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tip: track density motor mount, snub mount.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

At crank I think, I don't even know the exact power of my audi, I only know that it is around 400 hp, i have to dyno my monster to know how much power it has, is it safe for the turbos to increase the boost at 1.5-1.6 bars ?
    P.S. would a K&N air intake increase my power or is worth the money to put it in ? And by how much hp would the k&n intake increase my audi, 5-10 hp ?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi Allroad

Intakes don't really seem to help our cars, unless your tuned to take advantage of it. 1.5 bar is great, 1.6 bar is pushing the turbos on the edge of their efficiency range. Your not gonna see a huge power difference with a 0.1 bar difference, and reliability of the turbos becomes strained when your hitting the peak efficiency.
    GCC Rule #22 Enforcer

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseimage View Post
    Intakes don't really seem to help our cars, unless your tuned to take advantage of it. 1.5 bar is great, 1.6 bar is pushing the turbos on the edge of their efficiency range. Your not gonna see a huge power difference with a 0.1 bar difference, and reliability of the turbos becomes strained when your hitting the peak efficiency.
    how much difference will I see from 1.2 bar to 1.5 or 1.6 ?

Veteran Member Four Rings BlkdoutS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSorin View Post
    how much difference will I see from 1.2 bar to 1.5 or 1.6 ?
    i good amount of power. you could go to 1.7 bar but i wouldnt recommend running them that high all the time.
    '01.5 Silver B5 S4 - Follow my build here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...4-Build-Thread

Senior Member Three Rings S4NORICE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4, Factory Five MKIII

Hello, I buyed last year a audi s4 modded with k04 turbos at around 400 hp, I took out the catalytic converter and now I am going for a 500+ hp clutch and I want to increase the boost from my turbos when I am going to put in the new clutch. My mechanic told me that I have 1.2 bars in my turbos. I want to know how far cand I go with the turbo boost, can I go around to 2.0 bars or 1.5 ? or should I stay at 1.2 ? I'm a noob in mechanics so please don't make fun of me.
    P.S. sorry for my bad english if I made mistakes.
    Does the car have a full stage 3 kit??

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by S4NORICE View Post
    Does the car have a full stage 3 kit??
    Believe me, I have no ideea, I just buyed the car like this, I only know that it is around 400 hp and that it is really fast.....

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi Allroad

Like BlkdoutA4 stated, the increase of power from 1.2 to 1.5 or 1.6 will be a good amount and noticeable.

Could you post pics of the car, or at least the engine bay. Someone might notice that the intake is different (could be RS4). You could also open up your ECU box and check that, sometimes companies stick on their logo there. That way, you'll have an idea of what tune your running.
    GCC Rule #22 Enforcer

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

If you have full supporting fueling components, you could run up to 1.7bar.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jerbel View Post
    If you have full supporting fueling components, you could run up to 1.7bar.
    I told in my last post that I don't know what I have in my car, one of my mechanics told my that I need a boost controler and a boost gauge and the other told me that besides that I need other injectors with fuel pump and remapping. I don't know what to believe now, he told me if I raise the boost in my turbos I will melt the pistons because there is too much air and no fuel. What sould I do ?

L.E. if you tell me to make a picture or two of the engine I will do and tell me what do I have to remove from the engine to make pictures.

Veteran Member Four Rings KNaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4, C6 S6
    Items for Sale

I told in my last post that I don't know what I have in my car, one of my mechanics told my that I need a boost controler and a boost gauge and the other told me that besides that I need other injectors with fuel pump and remapping. I don't know what to believe now, he told me if I raise the boost in my turbos I will melt the pistons because there is too much air and no fuel. What sould I do ?
    that's what we mean by full supporting fueling components. Injectors, fuel pump, software, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    My WTB List:
    -Sport (all black) shift surround for 6MT
    -Sport (all black) ash tray cover

KNaudi's story

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KNaudi View Post
    that's what we mean by full supporting fueling components. Injectors, fuel pump, software, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    So if I don't have those I can't increase my boost pressure...... I don't think I have the stock S4 injectors and fuel pump if I have the k04 turbos.......

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4, C6 S6
    Items for Sale

So if I don't have those I can't increase my boost pressure...... I don't think I have the stock S4 injectors and fuel pump if I have the k04 turbos.......
    well that's something only you can answer. don't you have records from the previous owner? I'd assume if the car actually put down 400 hp before, its not on stock S4 fueling components.
    My WTB List:

KNaudi's story

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I buyed the car from a dealer from Germany, he didn't know what the owner made to the car. I only know that in my car documents the car has 280 kw wich is almoust 400 hp, without my catalityc converter which I have removed I think I am at around 400 hp, I told I don't know the exact power of my vehicle. If I don't have the stock S4 fueling components can I increase the boost ?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4, C6 S6
    Items for Sale

there's no way we can tell you what fueling your car has over the internet.
    My WTB List:

KNaudi's story

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KNaudi View Post
    there's no way we can tell you what fueling your car has over the internet.
    Ok, how can I find out what fueling my car has ? If it is not complicated I will look under the hood and post here, thx

Veteran Member Three Rings Spooled1.8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well a good start would be to take a picture of your engine bay. That way, we can identify if you at least have a different MAF housing. If you do, there's a good chance that your car will already have a fueling kit installed.
    -Pete
    2001 Imola Yellow S4 EPL/TiAL S605
    -Evolution Racewerks Intercoolers with Carbon fiber shrouds.-EBC Redstuff Pads-EBC Rotors-RAI Motorsport 3" Downpipes-AWE Twin 1 Exhaust-AWE DV1 DV's-AWE Center Vent Boost Guage-AWE DTS Bar-Advanced Automotion Rebuilt Trans-Southbend Stage 4 Clutch-Fidanza LWFW-ASP Engine Mounts-034 Motorsport Trans Mounts-Apikol Rear Diff Mount-KW Variant 3 Coilovers-

Senior Member Three Rings fazda's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 Audi s4

bascailly inspect what componets you have. It will easier to give you more information.
    2000- Audi S4, Piggie pipes, SSAC catback, Evoms Intake, Stg2+ Vast tune, 710n's, Eibach sportline springs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@Spooled1.8 ok, I will take a picture of the engine today or tommorow and I will post it here.
    @fazda I'm a noob in mechanics, I don't know what is stock and what is aftermarket.....

Veteran Member Three Rings lbs4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 S4.99 Grand Cherokee.89 240SX

start by looking at the maf housing. if you can notice that it is not black hitachi or bosh, it should have a logo of a tuner on there. the next step would be to get a boost guage and go do a 3rd gear pull, boost guages are always good to have with the s4 anyways. but see what you peak for boost and were it settles at redline. if you maf doesnt tell you, you may be able to get a somewhat good idea by what kind of boost levels you make.

AZ Member #

Also take a picture of the fuel injectors. If you can take off the Y-pipe and fuel rail, that would be best.

If you can get a couple of ECUx logs, in 3rd gear, we can tell you how to proceed based on MAF readings, boost levels, injector DC and on-time, etc.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

how do I upload photos on this forum ?
    Last edited by MisterSorin; 03-31-2010 at 01:49 PM.

AZ Member #

Upload them to a photo hosting site, then use the "insert image" hyperlink button in the "reply" toolbar.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

check on your PFR, its on the right to the Y pipe, tiny little silver thingy with a little nipple and a vac line coming off from it. it should say 4.0 bar or 5.0 bar. to me altho i may be wrong, you have black inlets which is most likly k04s and sstock maf, so i would guess stage 3- or maybe just a chip on the k04s. im not 100% tho. the FPR should give a tad more insight. but another thing is the stock Throttle body boot. most likly that would be totaled with a stg 3 tune. so i would get you have just a regular chip on the k04s.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lbs4 View Post
    check on your PFR, its on the right to the Y pipe, tiny little silver thingy with a little nipple and a vac line coming off from it. it should say 4.0 bar or 5.0 bar. to me altho i may be wrong, you have black inlets which is most likly k04s and sstock maf, so i would guess stage 3- or maybe just a chip on the k04s. im not 100% tho. the FPR should give a tad more insight. but another thing is the stock Throttle body boot. most likly that would be totaled with a stg 3 tune. so i would get you have just a regular chip on the k04s.
    The dealer which sold the car to me told me that I have a chip on my audi, what kind of chip I don't know......

AZ Member #
    My Garage

thats what im saying. i dont know for sure if it is a full stage 3, but i was guessing that it was just a simple stg 1 chip or maybe even a 3-. but if it was a good strong boosting chip i think the owner would have done away with the TBB. those stock boots rip so easy. a stg 1 chip on k03s will rip those TBB very easily.

check the FPR, if it is a 5 bar it will be a 3-. if it is a 4. bar it probably a stg1 chip, or stg 3 if the injectors are changed. altho it looks like a stock MAF sensor to me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lbs4 View Post
    thats what im saying. i dont know for sure if it is a full stage 3, but i was guessing that it was just a simple stg 1 chip or maybe even a 3-. but if it was a good strong boosting chip i think the owner would have done away with the TBB. those stock boots rip so easy. a stg 1 chip on k03s will rip those TBB very easily.

check the FPR, if it is a 5 bar it will be a 3-. if it is a 4. bar it probably a stg1 chip, or stg 3 if the injectors are changed. altho it looks like a stock MAF sensor to me.
    ok, I will check it right now, and by the way, what is a TBB, FPR and MAF ?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

the MAF - mass air flow sensor, thats right nest to your air box. Bosch is a 2000- hitachi is an 2001. usually stg 3 kits replace those. 3- or regular chip wont.
    TBB - throttle body boot; its in the very front of the motor were the by pipes meet, its rubber (stock) they rip constantly so silicoln is used.
    FPR - fuel pressure regulator. stock is 4.0 bar. most stg 3s use that as well. stg 3- use 5.0bar.

AZ Member #

A pic of the fuel injectors, along with the info of whether the FPR is 4 or 5bar will tell us whether or not you can increase the boost.

AZ Member #

Regardless of it being Stage 3- now, do not turn up the boost. You can probably get another 100BHP out of it by upgrading the fueling/software. Seeing that you are in Europe, I woud contact MRC-Tuning. They are based out of Great Britain so they would be somewhat local. You could always contact one of the American tuners on here as well.
    -Pete
    -Evolution Racewerks Intercoolers with Carbon fiber shrouds.-EBC Redstuff Pads-EBC Rotors-RAI Motorsport 3" Downpipes-AWE Twin 1 Exhaust-AWE DV1 DV's-AWE Center Vent Boost Guage-AWE DTS Bar-Advanced Automotion Rebuilt Trans-Southbend Stage 4 Clutch-Fidanza LWFW-ASP Engine Mounts-034 Motorsport Trans Mounts-Apikol Rear Diff Mount-KW Variant 3 Coilovers-

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@The_Jerbel if you tell me how to get to the injectors and where is the FPR I'll take a pic
    @Spooled1.8 there is someone here in my city who does software remapping with 300 euros, thats around 400 dollars. I don't know if I will get 100 hp out of my beast with just a remapping......
    P.S. I just found out that my turbos are at 1.1 bar.

AZ Member #

The FPR is the silver-looking cylinder between the Y-pipe and the coolant reservoir in your 1st pic.

You need to remove the Y-pipe, and then take out the 4 bolts holding the fuel rail to the intake manifold. The fuel rail is the network of silver lines that you can see just in front of the "Y" section of the Y-pipe in your 1st pic. Then use a pry bar and pry one side (either driver or pass) of the fuel rail up. The fuel injectors will come up with the rail. Take a picture of them.

AZ Member #

@The_Jerbel if you tell me how to get to the injectors and where is the FPR I'll take a pic
    @Spooled1.8 there is someone here in my city who does software remapping with 300 euros, thats around 400 dollars. I don't know if I will get 100 hp out of my beast with just a remapping......
    P.S. I just found out that my turbos are at 1.1 bar.
    What I was trying to state was that if you do have stock fueling, then upgrading fuel injectors, fuel pump, tune, etc. will yield you around that much more power.
    -Pete

AZ Member #
    My Garage

ok, tomorrow I will remove the Y pipe to look at the injectors

AZ Member #
    My Garage

just the fpr will give you a great idea of what you have, you already have a pic just not up close.

AZ Member #

If he's only running at 1.1bar, there's a good chance the guy installed K04's without doing any fueling at all, and is just running a K03 tune with his K04's. So if he's got a 4bar, he could be running Stage 2 fueling or Stage 3 fueling. Tough to tell from the pics, but the MAF housing kind of looks like the RS4 version. With a good look at the FPR and the injectors (and especially some ECUx logs!), we'll have a good idea of what sort of boost levels he should be running.

Veteran Member Four Rings mrpeterparker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Silver B5S4
    Items for Sale

i commend you all for sticking it out this long in this thread..... it was painful just for me to read through it .. lol
    Lurker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast