Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings 2kblacks4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 black s4 6spd

Talking What would cause excessive blow by?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My alternator went bad yesterday so I'm in the middle of replacing it. While tearing down the car to put the new alternator in I noticed that when I took off the inter cooler piping (fmic) a half of a coffee mug worth of oil pours out of the bi pipes, inter cooler, and surrounding areas. All plumbing from the accordion hose to the throttle body have oil residue. This really scares me cause I know this is one of the symptoms of turbo failure, as when my ko3's went.

I recently replaced my spider hose because the cap where the n75 valve connects to snapped off, don't really know how long ran like this, but it couldn't be that long cause I'm under the hood at least every 2 weeks at minimum, to check for stuff like this. At the time of replacing it I noticed a large amount of blow by, there is always a little, but this time is seem like a significant amount more than normal. I chalked it up to the pcv system having a leak (cause of the snapped spider hose) and cleaned up the y-pipe and surrounding stuff.

The car was making full boost as of yesterday and with no smoke coming out the tale pipes. I do not think the turbo's are bad, but what could cause this much blow by to happen??

The car is torn a part now and would like to figure it out before it goes back together, just need to get it back together soon as it is my dd. Recommendation, Thoughts??

-Thanks-
    4:11 posi track out back, 750 double pumper, edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop up pistons, turbo jet 390 horse power, where talking some fucking muscle!!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

that is a very UNCOMMON symptom of turbo failure. 99.9999% of the time the turbo oil seals fail on the turbine side, not the compressor side. i would consider doing a compression and a leakdown test if i were you. if it really is that much oil you're problems may be internal.

Veteran Member Four Rings MacDaddy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

could have just been because of the old spider hose, if you remove the oil cap when the engine is running is there alot of pressure in the crankcase pushing up on the cap?

also, thin oil leaks past seals easier than thick oil, if you live in a warm climate (above freezing) there is no need to run zero or five weight oil, keep in mind audi recommends 5w-40 for all over north america, from the yukon down to miami, using an oil more suitable to your climate is always better (like wearing a bespoke suit instead of sweatpants)
    the B5 S4 is like the mafia... there is only one way out!

Senior Member Three Rings shokwav09's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    alot of ideas with never enough cheese

Quote Originally Posted by 2kblacks4 View Post
    My alternator went bad yesterday so I'm in the middle of replacing it. While tearing down the car to put the new alternator in I noticed that when I took off the inter cooler piping (fmic) a half of a coffee mug worth of oil pours out of the bi pipes, inter cooler, and surrounding areas. All plumbing from the accordion hose to the throttle body have oil residue. This really scares me cause I know this is one of the symptoms of turbo failure, as when my ko3's went.

I recently replaced my spider hose because the cap where the n75 valve connects to snapped off, don't really know how long ran like this, but it couldn't be that long cause I'm under the hood at least every 2 weeks at minimum, to check for stuff like this. At the time of replacing it I noticed a large amount of blow by, there is always a little, but this time is seem like a significant amount more than normal. I chalked it up to the pcv system having a leak (cause of the snapped spider hose) and cleaned up the y-pipe and surrounding stuff.

The car was making full boost as of yesterday and with no smoke coming out the tale pipes. I do not think the turbo's are bad, but what could cause this much blow by to happen??

The car is torn a part now and would like to figure it out before it goes back together, just need to get it back together soon as it is my dd. Recommendation, Thoughts??

-Thanks-
    What would cause excessive blow by?

a sneaky girlfriend

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

a worn motor.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

when you replaced the spider hose did you replace the pcv valve? if you reused it(doubtful the rubber boot survived) then it could still be jammed shut causing all vapor to pump up into the intake y pipe. also its possible the valve cover holes are clogged where the pcv connects too them.
    otherwise a blown motor or bad turbo seals can do this. also dont forget the oil wont go away unless you drain it, its too heavy to be ingested later once its in the intercoolers so you may have had a pcv issues once that filled them up and its just going to drip down for a while.
    Dub Autowerks
    http://www.dubautowerks.com/
    VW, Audi, BMW, Porsche

Veteran Member Four Rings diagnosticator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Excessive blow by is caused by worn out or broken piston rings. Leaking intake and or exhaust valve guide seals will provoke this during max boost too. Replace the crankcase ventilation regulator valve, with age, the diaphragm gets stiff inside the regulator and the air flow volume through the crankcase ventilation can be to high pulling to much oil aerosols and vapors that condense out in the intake plumbing.

Veteran Member Four Rings wdbdy2000s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 pathfinder, 2000 s4

Quote Originally Posted by hercfe View Post
    that is a very UNCOMMON symptom of turbo failure. 99.9999% of the time the turbo oil seals fail on the turbine side, not the compressor side. i would consider doing a compression and a leakdown test if i were you. if it really is that much oil you're problems may be internal.
    I have seen a handful of s4s with massive oil pooling in the lower IC hoses when the turbos blew. I wouldn't say it's an uncommon symptom at all.
    Frimmel: i only speak when i have something negative to say.
    Grah4m: i lost to a giraffe. be careful out there.
    ThirdStrike:leave your feelings at the keyboard

Veteran Member Four Rings veggiemonster's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wdbdy2000s4 View Post
    I have seen a handful of s4s with massive oil pooling in the lower IC hoses when the turbos blew. I wouldn't say it's an uncommon symptom at all.
    i had "at least a quart" in my intercooler...

sounds common to me

Veteran Member Three Rings 2kblacks4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 black s4 6spd

I replaced the entire spider hose assembly, just picked one up from jhm. Only part that i didn't replace was the Audi Breather Valve. Do you think i need to replace it? Here is what I am talking about http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-.../Valve/ES5957/.
    4:11 posi track out back, 750 double pumper, edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop up pistons, turbo jet 390 horse power, where talking some fucking muscle!!

Senior Member Three Rings YBLEGL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 AUDI S4 2003 Audi Allroad

Bad valve seals, also everyone over looks the easy ones like if you overfill the oil or if whoever does a oil change was to overfill the oil you will get large amounts of oil in your hoses
    MAINTENCE AND STAGE 3 INSTALLS DONE, PM ME, MASS/ RI LINE AREA

2000 S4 SILVER 6SPEED VAST TUNED STAGE 3

2003 Audi Allroad 48k and sitting

2003 GTI 20th Edition Imola Yellow, Some go fast mods **SOLD**