Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings Moodesigner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi A4

Question Audi A4 1.8T - APR ECU Upgrade

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    im looking to get it done but i really need a second opinion!

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/e...de_a418t.html#

Do u guys think itz a good idea?

Has anyone here chiped their car?

Do u think it will affect my engine on the long run?

Thankx a million

Veteran Member Four Rings HotSauce's Avatar
    AZ Member #

http://www.audizine.com/forum/search...der=descending

I'm feeling nice... In short, yes it's a good idea, almost everyone chips their car, you may shorten the life of your turbo, but in the scheme of things, you engine will be fine.

Registered Member Two Rings aks986's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    86 944 Turbo, 87 golf, 98 A4 1.8tqm

People chip a4s? How come ive never heard of this before?

Shea

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Passat, Sienna

Originally posted by aks986
    People chip a4s? How come ive never heard of this before?

Shea
    Must be cuz of that rock you've been hiding under. If your car is a 1.8t you'd be a fool not to get it chipped.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 A4

Re: Audi A4 1.8T - APR ECU Upgrade

Originally posted by Moodesigner

Thankx a million

Chipping usually isnt a good idea. Most people go right for the stage 3 kit.
    2000 A4
    APR SIII+

Veteran Member Four Rings drlandry00's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 A4 Quattro 1.8t 5spd Ebony...

Hey, Apr chip is a beautiful chip. makes some great power that is very fun to drive, will def put a smile on your face, yes there are probably 60% members on here that are chipped.. I will be getting the APR chip in the spring... GIAC is also another good chip. personal preference between the two.. both are great.. good luck let us know what you do...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi A4

thankx dood, ill keep ya posted. I got a few projects lined up this spring.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 & '03 Yamaha R6

Re: Audi A4 1.8T - APR ECU Upgrade

Thankx a million

I chipped my 2001 1.8T with APR 93oct program.

It is a very good idea.

It's pretty much a law that you are suppose to chip your 1.8T as soon as you get it.

Many have been driving chipped for a long time without any issues. Proper warm up and cool down of your motor is strongly recommended to prevent pre-mature turbo failure.

APR and GIAC are proven out. Go for it. You will not regret it. You won't believe how de-tuned the 1.8T is from the factory.

Try the search function of the forum and you'll find copious amounts of info on chipping.
    APR 93 Octane Chip, VDO Boost Gauge, 710N, Koni C/O's, Carbonio CAI, High Flow Coconut air freshener.

60% of the time, it works EVERY time.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi A4

Actually im going down to the APR dealer this friday to check out whatz the deal and just to get more info.

How is your fuel efficiency? Did it improve?

What if by accident you let your friend fill up your car and he'll put 91oct and u got a program for 93?

The thing is that im still under warranty, would an audi mechanic be able to see software upgrade ones im in for a warranty repair?

I heard now the offer an optional switch on your cruz.control incase u want to go back to stock.

thankx

Registered Member Two Rings Xerophile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '00 A4 1.8T QM Santorin Blue

What if by accident you let your friend fill up your car and he'll put 91oct and u got a program for 93?

I heard now the offer an optional switch on your cruz.control incase u want to go back to stock.

thankx
    I have the APR chip with 2 programs, stock and 93, so that I can swap back and forth (for valets and letting friends borrow the car) and it works great.

Fuel efficiency is tricky. If you don't hammer on it (like that's gonna happen, what'd you buy the chip for then? ) then you might get slightly better than stock fuel economy, I know I do on long drives when I stick it on cruise. But if I'm driving for fun, forget it, I still get in the 20's though.

At worst, if someone fills your car with 91, you'll get knocking and/or pinging, or worst case detonation, and then you'd drop it to the stock program until you can fill back up again. Pretty straight-forward.

Oh, one other thing, I've had the chip since about 65,000, so over half the car's life has been chipped with the original turbo, no problems.

Registered Member Three Rings S-fear's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4, A4 1.8T, Subaru Legacy, supercharged Miata, Turbo Alfa (top 10 in GRM $2000+ challenge). UR Quat

If you are on boost, you are going to use much, much more fuel. simple physics - boost and HP require more gas. If you stay off boost, your milage will be the same.

On my cars, the mpg went down about 3mpg in town. Your milage will vary depending on how hard you hit it.

If you have 93 program and you put 91 in it, your ECU can compensate (to a limited degree - this probably won't work if you put in 87) by retarding the spark to prevent detonation. Detonation will cause SERIOUS engine damage if you get too much of it for too long.

Play it safe, and get the stock and chipped program.

I have valet, stock, 93, and 100 octane - so you have some options if you want to buy the extra program.

If you get the security lock out - there is no way to tell your car is chipped unless you know the code, or take the ECU out. Without the lock out, dealers will press your cruise control to see if your ECU light flashes - a dead giveaway you have an APR chipped car. Get the lock out if you want warranty or dealer work done.

I found on a FWD car the chip was too aggressive and just lead to lots of wheel spin when boost suddenly hit. It works much, much better with quattro.

With the 1.8, expect a power band of 3000-5000rpm. Kinda narrow, but useful. It is a nice bump.

Actually im going down to the APR dealer this friday to check out whatz the deal and just to get more info.

The thing is that im still under warranty, would an audi mechanic be able to see software upgrade ones im in for a warranty repair?

extra programs and security features will cost $$$

thankx

Jeder Bloedmann faehrt 'nen Porsche, Jeder Arsch 'nen Audi Sport
    Nur Geniesser fahren Fahrrad, Und sind immer schneller da

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 & '03 Yamaha R6

thankx
    Don’t buy into the fact that companies claim possible better fuel economy. I have never seen proof of this. I don’t believe it. People have made the ASSUMPTION that if you have more power, you don’t need to push the gas pedal down as far to get the same amount of acceleration – thus using less gas…. THAT’S A BUNCH OF HOOPALA in my opinion.

Essentially, the chip will be producing more boost, with the fuel mapping to match. The chip may also modify the timing somewhat. Without making any changes to how your car breathes (i.e. better breathing by means of; match-porting, more efficient intake and/or exhaust plumbing) – I really doubt that you’ll get better economy. Without changing the breathing of your car, you still need to burn the same amount of gas to make the same amount of power. A chipped 1.8T has the ability to produce more power because you are forcing more air thus more fuel (to maintain proper air/fuel ratios).

Basically, my point is that I truly believe that there is no potential to improve your fuel economy with a chip - unless the timing is maximized for fuel economy. I still haven't seen good enough documented proof to support this to change my mind.

Anyhoo,

It is however very possible to maintain the same amount of fuel economy after chipping, providing your driving characteristics are the same. You will consume more gas though if you floor it chipped, than if you floor it stock.

In my case, APR was able to put both the 93 oct program and stock program in my car. They can be switched via the cruise ‘set’ switch.

Also – what the hell are you doing letting your friend drive your car?

Avoid running less than the recommended octane. It can cause pre-detonation which ain’t the best thing for your motor.

As for warranty – if the dealer can detect the chip, and you are trying to get a turbo replaced under warranty – you may have to fight for it. If you’re in for control arm warranty, you’ll be fine. Ask the APR guys about how hard/easy it is for the dealer to detect.

A chipped 1.8T = a happy driver!
    Last edited by buck; 01-26-2005 at 07:52 AM.
    APR 93 Octane Chip, VDO Boost Gauge, 710N, Koni C/O's, Carbonio CAI, High Flow Coconut air freshener.

60% of the time, it works EVERY time.