Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2002 A4 with CVT , no drive in any gear, fault code P0730

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can anyone give me any advice on trouble shooting the problem with my CVT transmission?

The car does not move in any gear.

The PRND indicator shows the correct gear but car does not move.

Using an OBDII reader I got the following code P0730 / 17114.

Veteran Member Four Rings Lusticles's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a lemon

code P0730 is an Incorrect Gear Ratio

which i believe means that your transmission is going out, or is already out
    i could be wrong

good luck!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 A4 1.8TQM, 05 Nissan Xterra, 99 Sea Doo Sportster

oh oh oh part out
    Mucho dinero if CVT 6-8 grand iirc. That's what a drive a 6 speed.
    Seach for trasmission swap. I think vinny is doing one.
    KO4 APR Stage II+ // tt injectors // Podi SW gague // NGK BRK 7E .28 gap // 2.5" Test Pipe // Forge 007 DV //
    APIKOL Snub Mount // Stock N75 // 20%Tint // DTH FRP Skirts // 270 miles to empty // B7 key fob // 35W 5K HID's

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

sorry to hear this bad news. I am surprised there is no major lawsuit out there because these transmission seem to be going out before the 100k mile mark.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How many miles? How often was the fluid changed?

At our shop we recommend the fluid be changed every 20k miles on these CVT tranny's. Otherwise they start to have problems.

The "incorrect gear ratio" code is basically a slip code. According to the ECU, the input rpm (engine speed) and output rpm (wheel speed) is impossible in the selected gear. This is usually due to the transmission "slipping" excessively.

Manual swap would probably be a good option. A used CVT would another option, but make sure to get one with low miles and some kind of warranty. Good Luck.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 A4 1.8TQM, 05 Nissan Xterra, 99 Sea Doo Sportster

found this on vortex. May be legit
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4760055
    KO4 APR Stage II+ // tt injectors // Podi SW gague // NGK BRK 7E .28 gap // 2.5" Test Pipe // Forge 007 DV //
    APIKOL Snub Mount // Stock N75 // 20%Tint // DTH FRP Skirts // 270 miles to empty // B7 key fob // 35W 5K HID's

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The car has 140k, I'm not sure about the fluid interval change as I recently purchased the car.

I have thought about a manual swap but can't find any positive information on all components needed for the swap.

Has anyone rebuilt a CVT? If the code is due to transmission slipping should I try rebuilding it?

I see the O1J Audi CVT Master Rebuilt Kit on ebay is $625.00

Many thanks for the advise.

Senior Member Two Rings derrock89's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 B8 A4 Tit/QMT

Quote Originally Posted by swage_mar View Post
    The car has 140k, I'm not sure about the fluid interval change as I recently purchased the car.

I have thought about a manual swap but can't find any positive information on all components needed for the swap.

Has anyone rebuilt a CVT? If the code is due to transmission slipping should I try rebuilding it?

The only "rebuilding" i've done on a CVT was replace the slipping clutch pack for about 2 grand. But sadly I think your problem is worse than my situation was b/c i was still able to drive my old car.
    2011 B8 A4 2.0T Premium Plus 6MT Titanium
    '04 CVT to '05 6MT--The switch you'll never regret...So far
    Derrock=Derek

Veteran Member Four Rings Papachristou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Audi A4 USP,05 S4 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by swage_mar View Post

sorry, just be prepared to drove a couple K or more. sounds like the last seller noticed it slipping and sold/traded in the car just before it went south...
    2004 A4 UltraSport
    APR 2+, Racetech FMIC, APR TIP, Southbend FE SS, Stasis 4:1 Center Diff, Neuspeed Exhaust/test pipe, Podi/VEI boost gauge, Stasis StreetSports, JHM Solid Short Shifter -1" Stern ACAs

2005 S4 Sprint Blue Cabriolet
    Stock but 1 of 150

AZ Member #

If I'm not mistaken there is an "updated" multiplate clutch assembly - 6 plates instead of 5 or something like that. It is often replaced as the early ones failed often. I kind of doubt that is your problem because if the clutches were worn it would probably still move. They usually drive quite poorly for a while before they completely fail. If yours failed 'all-at-once' then it is likely something else - and a new or used replacement tranny (or manual swap) is in order.

Senior Member Two Rings russcul boi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    assorted hot wheels and Exato models

Ok this worrys me lol my car is also a CVT
    2005 A4 1.8T CVT~ Apr stage 1,K&N intake,Caratere RS grill,debadged rear

soon to come-Vogtlands GT's, Caractere Front bumper, USP blades, S4 rear, DTH carbon roof spoiler, VMR v701 in gunmetal

WTB-OEM S4 mirror covers,USP or S4 blades

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by russcul boi View Post
    Ok this worrys me lol my car is also a CVT
    If you change the fluid often, don't chip the car, and drive it normally it may last quite a while.

Veteran Member Three Rings Tru NY Player's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    TIME MACHINE

look in his sig ^^
    everybodys hitting the nail on the head buddy..
    'Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer.'

Registered Member Two Rings auditech79's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 A4 1.8T

If you are going to buy a rebuild kit make sure it has the 7 plate clutch pack design, or find a used one from an 04+ model which should already have the upgraded pack. www.shokan.com might have a used CVT if you want to go that route. The CVT isn't "super" hard to rebuild, but you will need a couple special tools to get it done right.

Senior Member Two Rings Peoples-2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    If you change the fluid often, don't chip the car, and drive it normally it may last quite a while.
    How much does this typically run at the dealership? I have a CVT (67k) and I have always been worried about my tranny going ker-plunk. The dealership would be my only option for this me thinks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 A4 1.8T

^^^ The fluid for the CVT isn't cheap ($30 a liter i think) so it usually costs around $350 with labor to change the fluid. It should be changed every 40k.

Senior Member Two Rings Peoples-2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by auditech79 View Post
    ^^^ The fluid for the CVT isn't cheap ($30 a liter i think) so it usually costs around $350 with labor to change the fluid. It should be changed every 40k.
    Alright thanks. Is it on the Audi recommended maintenance or would my previous owner had to have requested it to be done? (Because I highly doubt they did.)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 A4 1.8T

The first fluid change "used" to be covered by audi under the 40k maintenance. So it should be in the dealerships previous repair history, if he had the 40k done at the dealer then its been changed already. I think it was 06 that audi stopped covering the maintenenace services under warranty, so i think yours should have been covered.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

auditech79,

You mentioned that CVT isn't "super" hard to rebuild but that you will need a couple special tools to get it done right.

What are these special tools and where can I get information on rebuilding the transmission. Any information/insight that you can share is much appreciated.

Have you rebuilt a CVT? I'm planning on taking the transmission out within the next few week and see what is worn or damaged.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 A4 1.8T

I've done the audi TSB for updating the clutch pack from a 6 plate to a 7 plate pack. Its hard to explain the tools you need without seeing a picture of them. You can make due without them but its best to have them. I would highly recommend buying a bentley manual which will have step by step instruction of tear down which you need, the dealer can also sell you the tools to do the job, but they may need to be ordered. If you want to buy the tools for the job but don't have the part numbers, ask them too look up the TSB at the parts counter and it will have the related tools listed. Basically snap ring pliers, pullers, punches etc.

Edit: found the TSB related to your repair, the parts/tools are listed towards the bottom. Read the entire TSB.
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/...b.38-07-02.pdf

Senior Member Two Rings russcul boi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    assorted hot wheels and Exato models

auditech79, I bought my car in september of 08 with 44,000 miles on it. No service records so I assume there has been no fluids changed reguarding the CVT. Do you know how many liters it would take for me to do it myself and where I could get it? Also, is there just a plug to unscrew as with oil or is it much different? Thanks
    2005 A4 1.8T CVT~ Apr stage 1,K&N intake,Caratere RS grill,debadged rear

soon to come-Vogtlands GT's, Caractere Front bumper, USP blades, S4 rear, DTH carbon roof spoiler, VMR v701 in gunmetal

WTB-OEM S4 mirror covers,USP or S4 blades

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 A4 1.8T

6-7 liters, make sure you get the fluid from the dealer as its a special kind. The CVT REQUIRES a couple special tools to change the fluid, you need a special socket to take out the drain plug, and the fill tool which threads into the bottom of the pan. Its gravity fed into it while its running, and it has to be a specified temperature (vag com needed) to get the correct level. If you are a novice when it comes to transmissions, i don't recommend replacing the fluid yourself.