Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

C6 - Electrics dead, steering locked, Need some assistance

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The car is 2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro automatic.

The car will not start with the key. Turning the key to the "on" position also does nothing. The steering will not unlock, the electronic parking brake will not disengage, and it will not come out of Park. Battery is good (12 volts).

I've checked the fuses on the side of the driver's kick panel and in the passenger side of the trunk. I found 1 blown 20 amp fuse at the top position int the trunk fuse panel, but replacing it did not change the behavior.

It seems like it is not recognizing that the key has been turned to the "on" position. All of the power items that should operate without the key work fine: power seats, brake lights, etc. Items that should power up with the key "on" do not get power.

I believe the problem may be either:

- Ignition Switch
    - Power Supply Relay (Terminal 15)
    - Access/Start Control module

1) Can someone tell me where the Power Supply Relay is located? I'd like to test for power/ground there. My diagram says "behind storage compartment, driver side", but I find no relays on the driver side of the trunk.
    2) How do I go about testing the ignition switch? I have a "power distribution" wiring diagram, but it only shows the Access/Start module, not the actual ignition switch. It seems that the ignition switch is just a low-current input to this module, which uses a couple power supply relays to actually switch power.
    3) Any other suggesstions or experience?

TIA

Veteran Member Three Rings Kemer1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro

Re: C6 - Electrics dead, steering locked, Need some assistance

Ok when you put the key in the ignition does the radio turn on? power windows work?

What I'm getting at is the issue you're having is going to be either the key has lost its coding and it will need to be recoded...try another key to test if it's just the key...

If the other keys won't work then you have a more serious issue. The sensor in the steering column that reads the key coding is fried, and is not able to be replaced seperately. You will have to replace the entire steering column... This was the fix for mine when mine had your exact symptoms.

Good luck my man.
    Audentes Fortuna Juvat...Fortune Favors the Bold

I drive a wagon, so even if you were to outrun me, could you really brag about it?

AZ Member #

No, turning the key to ON does not have any effect whatsoever. No radio, no dash lights, windows don't work, nothing at all. The "insertion" of the key will "wake up" the MMI and the date/miles display of the cluster, and make it "bong" if the door is open. Nothing else.

I would think if it was the coding, then the cluster would blink a key/lock symbol or something, right? Also, I think the coding may prevent the vehicle from starting, but would not prevent the windows, etc from working. Or am I wrong here? What all does the transponder lock you out of?

And the key is not inserted into the steering column. It is inserted into the dash, straight ahead, just to the left of the large LCD display. The steering lock appears to be actuated by a solenoid, not directly by the ignition cylinder.

I'd really like to test at the Power Supply Relay location, anybody know where that is at? Actually I've found only 1 relay - in the trunk near the battery cable patch bay. Where are the rest of them? I looked behind the driver kick panel and didn't see any there. ECU box perhaps?

Kemer - What miles did your car have these symptoms?

Established Member Two Rings anpk05's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A6 4.2L S-Line/

I had the exact same problem with my car, i beleive it's the ignition switch, not sure, i have check on the paperwork i got from the dealer. Well it happened to me at maybe around 50k miles on my car. The batteries are good, called audi road side assitance, they showed up tried to jump start the car. Then he called a tow truck and towed the car to the dealer - no charge. It's covered under warranty...

AZ Member #

Thats funny, this car has about 51k miles. If you could tell me what they did, that would be great.

Thanks.

Veteran Member Three Rings Kevin1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It sounds like it is your Access Starter Control Module. It is a common problem in the C6, here is the lik to the TSB issued by Audi regarding the fix.

http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Ignit...ot%20start.pdf
    Waiting for delivery of a 2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package and Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection.

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

C6 TSB Library link (Thanks to Dr. Cold for his help in setting this up) http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    It sounds like it is your Access Starter Control Module. It is a common problem in the C6, here is the lik to the TSB issued by Audi regarding the fix.

http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Ignit...ot%20start.pdf
    Thanks Kevin, that sounds like exactly what it is.

Does anybody know where this module is located or the price of the updated module? Part number?

I'm guessing it is in the steering column area, but I suppose they could hide it anywhere.

AZ Member #

OK, got some info from the dealer. The part (access/start control module) includes a large part of the steering column. The price they gave was $1,050 just for the part. It also needs to be "coded" after replacement. Dealer will do this for $100.

Also, the car is definitely, completely out of warranty. Not due to mileage, but time.

Questions:

- Has anybody done immobilizer coding using Vag-com? I'm not trying to skirt the dealer's coding charge, but the TOWING to get it to the dealer...$$$. I've read the Ross-Tech procedure. I'm looking for experience here specifically regarding obtaining the "PIN"/Date/Workshop Code/etc for the old module.
    - What did your dealer charge (hours) for the replacement?

TIA

Veteran Member Three Rings Kemer1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro

Sorry to hear about your issue....like I said...I had the same thing go out on mine. Tried to save you a wild goose chase with the ignition switch. Good luck in finding someone to recode your keys. Just remember you have to recode all of them at once...or they won't work.
    Audentes Fortuna Juvat...Fortune Favors the Bold

I drive a wagon, so even if you were to outrun me, could you really brag about it?

AZ Member #

It is not so much the key coding, but matching the new immobilizer to the ECU. I called Ross-Tech (vag-com company) and they told me that it can no longer be done by vag-com. Coding the new module is dealer-only. Pre-2005 the dealer could give you a PIN to do it in vag-com but they switched systems. It is now completely transparent at the dealer. There is no PIN, the ECU talks directly with Audi/VW corporate computer. So much for a DIY. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Any additional info is still welcome. In particular I'd still like to know where the "Power Supply Relay" is located.

AZ Member #

Well, I've gotten some questions about this thread recently, so I thought I'd update with the results.

I procured a newer VCDS cable that did "CAN" bus. It was the HEX+CAN usb cable to be specific. Traded in an older serial VCDS interface to get a discount. Anyway, with the cable in hand, I went out to the car. Held the brake pedal for half a minute or something (to wake up the CAN bus, supposedly), then I was able to connect to the "Authentication" module.

In the Auth module it had a code stored for the steering wheel lock solenoid, so that's why nothing would power up. I checked all the other modules too. There were tons of code set it nearly every module. Shorted circuits, open circuits, all over the place. I printed the codes out of VCDS and it was 6 pages of codes as I recall. Lots of "no communication" codes between the various modules.

Back in the Auth module I hit "Clear Codes" and the car magically lit up, almost like the car rebooted. Went through the rest of the modules and cleared all the codes and there was nothing really wrong with it. Just a complete electrical fluke across all modules. Very weird. Car never came back. We figured somebody tried to jump start the thing and reversed the terminals. There was a slight arc burn mark on the positive terminal. That's all we could come up with for a cause, but the car was super nice to drive. I'll tell you that!
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

Senior Member Three Rings JediJoker7169's Avatar
    AZ Member #

MODS: Move this thread to the new C6 forum? Thanks for the update, OP.
    Cheers!
    - JediJoker

"Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch kit / 710N diverter valves / Bilstein PSS9 coilovers / Hotchkis Sport anti-roll bars / 034 Density adjustable front upper control arms / 034 Track Density front shock mounts / O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" x 8" / Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40ZR18 / Hella E-code xenon headlights / LED tail lights (ATL-254-LED-CR-LT) / Facelift black rear license plate trim