Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Potential RS5 owner

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello, new to the Audi Forums:

Looking for a fun daily driver. Been considering the RS5. Some questions about the U.S. options:

Can you get the carbon fiber intake manifold in the USA? Does not show up anywhere on the order sheet, and Canadian customers get it with the Titanium Package.

What is the dash material? Is it plastic, or does Audi cover it with leather?

I was thinking of ordering without the dynamic steering, as most reviews are not fond of it. What are current owners thoughts?

My proposed spec: Suzuka Grey, titanium package, alcantara seats, black headliner, MMI navigation.

Thanks,

Mark

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

No carbon intake/engine cover.

Dash is plastic, but doesn't look cheap.

Dynamic steering isn't that bad. I keep the car in dynamic, and haven't noticed any issues.

Love Suzuka + Ti (it's what I drive). The headliner is black on all in the US afaik.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by yas View Post
    No carbon intake/engine cover.

Dash is plastic, but doesn't look cheap.

Dynamic steering isn't that bad. I keep the car in dynamic, and haven't noticed any issues.

Love Suzuka + Ti (it's what I drive). The headliner is black on all in the US afaik.
    Thanks for the reply. I just can't understand why Audi short changes the U.S. customers. Also really want the Euro sport seats, but you can't get them in the U.S.A. either. I mean come on, I have a 16M and Scuderia, no airbags in Ferrari seats, why the heck do we need them here!

Guess a letter to Audi is in order, saw one prospective owner got quite a test drive of all the S models, Audi even delivered the cars to his house.

RS5 just looks like a great all season car, sounds great, looks great, but not too exotic to drive to my business. Just jealous of the European customers.

Also inquired as to getting a car built without the sunroof, as I never would use it, but Audi did not crash test a U.S. car without sunroof, at least that's what Audi management told my dealership at the recent Palm Springs "S" car event / test drive.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4 USP, APR stage 3+ and 2013 Suzuka Grey RS5

maybe I'm biased but Suzuka with Ti is an awesome combination ;). Pull the trigger and honestly the things your concerned about like the CF cover parts won't matter anymore.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #42.
    2005 A4 USP - APR Stage 3+ and a bunch of other stuff.
    2013 Suzuka RS5 (fully loaded) - Hardwired V1 | Full car clear matte PPF | CQuartz | e-codes | Huper-Optik 30 | Full Accuair B8 Sport kit | H&R F&R sway bars |HRE FF01 | a bunch of vag mods..
    Soon - APR SC ...

Senior Member Three Rings mmaturo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Its a great car...I have the Suzuka with the titanium and it looks fantastic. I'm partial and think it looks better than the ti on the car. The steering is fine. I think the reviews are off a bit in regards to it. Works great on the street and the track. I do leave the car in dynamic all the time. Its a fantastic daily driver for me as well.

The guy in Minnesota got lucky as that letter just happened to coincide with the car shows early this year and they were on the truck between shows leaving Chicago so he was on the way...I would not expect another such accommodation. But I have been given access at the car shows where others do not...being a regular customer does have perks.

If you really want the seats you can order them after the fact from Europrice.us (advertiser on the site) that I have successfully ordered many RS parts that were Europe only over the years. The reason Audi is doing it is the lower price point...I may be doing the same as an even worse crime is the R8 GT (about to buy one) without the real GT seats/shells but rather regular R8 seats. That really sucks.
    2014 RS7 Suzuka/Silver
    2013 RS5 - Suzuka Gray/Lunar Silver
    2012 R8 GT #275/333 - Suzuka Gray- Black/Silver
    2000 TT Neiman Marcus Ed #47/100 - Nimbus Gray/Moccasin Red - ALMS 18" Wheels Nimbus Gray
    1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Veteran Member Four Rings antoff83's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi RS5 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Markjayw View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I just can't understand why Audi short changes the U.S. customers. Also really want the Euro sport seats, but you can't get them in the U.S.A. either. I mean come on, I have a 16M and Scuderia, no airbags in Ferrari seats, why the heck do we need them here!

Guess a letter to Audi is in order, saw one prospective owner got quite a test drive of all the S models, Audi even delivered the cars to his house.

RS5 just looks like a great all season car, sounds great, looks great, but not too exotic to drive to my business. Just jealous of the European customers.

Also inquired as to getting a car built without the sunroof, as I never would use it, but Audi did not crash test a U.S. car without sunroof, at least that's what Audi management told my dealership at the recent Palm Springs "S" car event / test drive.
    lol what kind of business is that
    2014 Audi RS5 Coupe | Sepang blue | MMI+ package | Alu-Optic package | 20'' 5-rotor design silver finish wheels | Black Nappa leather sport seats

2004 BMW M3 Convertible | Carbon black | SMG | 19' 'OEM silver finish wheels | Brown leather/Black roof (wifey's)

Established Member Three Rings Racedoc11's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Rs5 , 2008 M3 Vert

What a joke!!!!....if you wanted an EXOTIC car for your BUSINESS what are you doing looking at an Audi RS5???

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by antoff83 View Post
    lol what kind of business is that
    Petroleum Distributorship. What kind of response is that? ^^

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Racedoc11 View Post
    What a joke!!!!....if you wanted an EXOTIC car for your BUSINESS what are you doing looking at an Audi RS5???
    I said I wanted a fun daily driver, but not too exotic. I don't consider an RS5 exotic.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi RS5 coupe

I said I wanted a fun daily driver, but not too exotic. I don't consider an RS5 exotic.
    ok gotcha now.. you mean instead driving your Ferrari to work drive RS5..
    2014 Audi RS5 Coupe | Sepang blue | MMI+ package | Alu-Optic package | 20'' 5-rotor design silver finish wheels | Black Nappa leather sport seats

2004 BMW M3 Convertible | Carbon black | SMG | 19' 'OEM silver finish wheels | Brown leather/Black roof (wifey's)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi RS5 coupe

Petroleum Distributorship. What kind of response is that? ^^
    no offense..i thought you mean that RS5 is not really exotic to drive it to your business..my bad

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by antoff83 View Post
    ok gotcha now.. you mean instead driving your Ferrari to work drive RS5..
    Correct, I don't drive the F-Cars anywhere near work. I have a feeling most of my employees know what I own, but still, I don't flaunt those cars around them. Still waiting on my dealer to get back to me on a couple of other questions. Keep you guys posted.

Senior Member Four Rings ActivS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Nissan GT-R, 2013 Toyota Prius, 2013 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Correct, I don't drive the F-Cars anywhere near work. I have a feeling most of my employees know what I own, but still, I don't flaunt those cars around them. Still waiting on my dealer to get back to me on a couple of other questions. Keep you guys posted.
    Smart man.

2009 GT-R | Black | Full bolt on tuned for E85 | 570 WTQ and 550 WHP @ 18PSI Mustang dyno | 10.63 at 130mph
    2013 S5 | Daytona Gray | Build Thread

Previous
    2008 S5 | Ibis White | Build Thread
    2008 A5 | Matte Gray

ActivFilms.TV
    Instagram: @Cfeulner @ActivFilms

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Correct, I don't drive the F-Cars anywhere near work. I have a feeling most of my employees know what I own, but still, I don't flaunt those cars around them.
    As opposed to my COO, who alternates parking his Ferrari or his Carrera GTS (or Range Rover on bad weather days) next to me. On the good side, he makes the RS5 stand out a little less in the parking garage.

Senior Member Three Rings Marshall_Placid's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5, 2012 A6, 2010 Q5 (SOLD!)

Great car.

The 3 different modes (comfort, auto, dynamic) are effective and useful. And, the ride is very comfortable surprisingly even in dynamic mode.. even when it is 450HP.

And, yes, I love the gimmicky up/down spoiler.

Senior Member Four Rings endless5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by ActivS5 View Post
    Smart man.
    x2

Get the RS5 and don't look back. Best car decision I've made. Can't wait to drive it every chance I get

And don't listen to Dinb when he comes in and tells you to research the adaptive suspension.

Keep us posted on your decision
    Need Adam's detailing Products? PM- Mops (For 10% off, use discount code Mops10 at checkout)

2013 Audi RS5 - Phantom Black, MMI Nav +, Titanium Package, Sports Exhaust, First Aid Kit
    2011 Audi S5- Prestige Package, Titanium Package, Sports Differential, Carbon Fiber Inlays, Side Assist *RIP* 2/4/11- 1/23/12

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 VW GTI 4dr, '14 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Items for Sale

I like that. Funny, my old SVP has 20+ cars including very rare muscle cars, Morgan, SLS, Vantage, a few Merc SL's, ZR1, etc and he only every drove his '86 K5 Blazer or '83 380SL to the office or functions. Respect.
    Mops @ Nemesis Autosport

AWE / H&R / BC FORGED / MILLTEK / BILSTEIN / STOPTECH / BBS / BREMBO / AP RACING / VOSSEN and more.

build thread
    email | facebook | flickr | instagram

Use code "Mops10" for 10% off your Adams Polishes order!

Established Member Three Rings IinsureU's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Everyone's general thoughts on the Drivers Assist Package option for over $3k ??

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Hell no. I would not want anything offered in that pack.
    Mops @ Nemesis Autosport

AWE / H&R / BC FORGED / MILLTEK / BILSTEIN / STOPTECH / BBS / BREMBO / AP RACING / VOSSEN and more.

build thread

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Do you really need adaptive cruise control? Do you know how to check a blind spot?

AZ Member #

I think it was really only the adaptive steering that I was maybe interested in...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Argh, all the electronic driver assists/aids blow imo lol. That's just me though. Some want all the tech offered, even if it is not used or beneficial. Not aimed at you, IinsureU, fyi. Just sayin'.
    Mops @ Nemesis Autosport

build thread

AZ Member #

I hear ya' and ordered the car without the option, just wanted to reassure myself and my decision more or less. All input greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mops View Post
    Argh, all the electronic driver assists/aids blow imo lol. That's just me though. Some want all the tech offered, even if it is not used or beneficial. Not aimed at you, IinsureU, fyi. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by IinsureU; 11-13-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Called Audi USA and complained about the Canadians getting the cf intake. Answer back was it does not meet U.S. Regulations. LOL are you freaking kidding me? Reason sport seats are not allowed in U.S., Audi is too cheap to crash test one with the Euro sport seats.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Nah, you made the right decision.
    Mops @ Nemesis Autosport

build thread

AZ Member #

I was hoping so, now just a sit & wait game....
    2014 Audi RS5- Shiraz Red, Black Nappa/Alcantara, MMI, Titanium Pkg, Sports Exhaust, Rear Shade, Carbon Fiber trim

Established Member Three Rings BestAudiFirst's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Wide Body Mustang and Audi Q7 4.2 S-Line

the CF intake cover shouldn't be too difficult to get especially if you can just order one through the parts department in a city in Canada and get them to ship it to your door...or just get one custom made...either way, it can be done for sure.
    Blown and Bagged 2013 Audi RS5
    2008 Audi Q7 4.2 S Line
    Wide, Blown, Cammed and Slammed 2006 Ford Mustang

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4 USP, APR stage 3+ and 2013 Suzuka Grey RS5

meh, i can think of better things to spend the $1500 on than the CF engine cover ... who knows what the intake covers run...
    USP CLUB MEMBER #42.
    2005 A4 USP - APR Stage 3+ and a bunch of other stuff.
    2013 Suzuka RS5 (fully loaded) - Hardwired V1 | Full car clear matte PPF | CQuartz | e-codes | Huper-Optik 30 | Full Accuair B8 Sport kit | H&R F&R sway bars |HRE FF01 | a bunch of vag mods..
    Soon - APR SC ...

Established Member Three Rings marzz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

get the bucket seats via Audi exclusive if can't otherwise, well worth it, I got them, massive difference when cornering hard, also very comfortable for a daily
    dynamic steering is worth the shot, adaptive cruise not really - used it twice in two years lol
    you could get the CF engine cower from ebay, half dealership price or just order it as part number separately
    marzz

like my RS if you like my build

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

No Recaro seats in the US, period. You'd have to buy them from a 3rd party and install them yourself. And you'd probably have to VAG out an airbag error.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by marzz View Post
    get the bucket seats via Audi exclusive if can't otherwise, well worth it, I got them, massive difference when cornering hard, also very comfortable for a daily
    dynamic steering is worth the shot, adaptive cruise not really - used it twice in two years lol
    you could get the CF engine cower from ebay, half dealership price or just order it as part number separately
    Yes, here is the cf panel on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...b5e080&vxp=mtr

The seats though are another story, bummer.

What color would hide dirt the best? Suzuka Grey, the dark grey, or silver?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Prism would show the cleanest when dirty, and Daytona would not be far behind. People say whites are easy. They do not know what they are talking about. Suzuka is an off white but still not great at hiding dirt. Prsim with Ti Would be my selection. So classy and different.
    Mops @ Nemesis Autosport

build thread

Established Member Four Rings Got No Game's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^Totally agree Mops. I had a white MX-6 way back in the day and that damn thing was dirty almost immediately after washing (though I loved that car). I have to admit all of the Prism+Ti combos I've seen pictures of are absolutely gorgeous.
    Scott (Got No Game) | 2013 RS5 | Daytona Gray | Black | Akrapovic | HRE | H&R | Alu-Kreuz

Registered Member Four Rings DinB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Light silver is the easiest colour maintanance wise. For the RS5, that would be prism.
    Ibis White RS5
    Factory: Nav., B&O, Sport exhaust, and Steel mesh/piano black trim

Aftermarket: 20" Ti OEM wheels, 20% tint, v8 badges, dynamat in the rear parcel, Infinity Basslink sub, OEM silver tips, OEM alu-optic)

To Do: (2014: folding mirrors, KW HAS springs, spacers)

"When the cat man speaks, you listen!" - Mops

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Suzuka hides road dust pretty well (I'm always amazed how much comes off when I pre-rinse), but I agree Prism would be the easiest.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

^True. When I used to wash my Ibis I was always so pleased. Its like, oh...I forgot it was suppose to be many shades lighter. White is difficult as it shows things you pick up off the road like tar, thicker dirt etc. Not to mentioned black streaks and rust specs.
    Mops @ Nemesis Autosport

build thread

Registered Member Four Rings DinB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

For me problem with white are the water stains. Also the stupid headlight washers spray washer fluid on the car which leaves blue coloured streaks on the car.
    Ibis White RS5
    Factory: Nav., B&O, Sport exhaust, and Steel mesh/piano black trim

Aftermarket: 20" Ti OEM wheels, 20% tint, v8 badges, dynamat in the rear parcel, Infinity Basslink sub, OEM silver tips, OEM alu-optic)

To Do: (2014: folding mirrors, KW HAS springs, spacers)

"When the cat man speaks, you listen!" - Mops

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DinB View Post
    For me problem with white are the water stains. Also the stupid headlight washers spray washer fluid on the car which leaves blue coloured streaks on the car.
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/NanoS...ess_p_725.html

AZ Member #

2014 Audi RS5- Shiraz Red, Black Nappa/Alcantara, MMI, Titanium Pkg, Sports Exhaust, Rear Shade, Carbon Fiber trim

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I thought the adaptive cruise control was pointless, till I had it. If you can spare $3k, definitely order it. I wish I had it n my other cars now.

And I just saw Recaro seats for an rs5 on eBay... $9k. Said something about side airbags so I think they have accounted for those (or the light at least). Appears to be genuine Audi.
    2014 GT3 ( 5/2/14)
    2014 GL550
    2013 RS5 - Sepang Ti sport exhaust
    2012 Panamera Turbo S
    2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - lifted (AEV) on 35s