Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

delete

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    delete
    Last edited by e36graduate; 02-15-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: incorrect post

Veteran Member Four Rings koolade9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

Re: Hood Latch Not Working Cant Open Hood?

is the cable broken? can you pull the handle and feel the cable pull the latch, and it just doesn't do anything?

if the above is the case, have someone push down on the hood while you pull it. The latch mechanism may be too low, causing it to bind.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4
    Items for Sale

Search here, there is a thread about it. Happened to me and the dealer couldn't get it open. the new owner of my car was able to remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the latch to the hood THROUGH the grille. You can't get the grille out without opening the hood.

Established Member Two Rings justinrlee's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 C5 RS6, 2006 Volvo XC90, 1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata

One of my friends had something similar on a 2001 A4 and the shop he went to couldn't get his hood open. The hood latch was stuck on the grill. We ended up just breaking the grill off.

Established Member Two Rings fujii13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by e36graduate View Post
    The cable is not connected to the release mechanism, meaning i cant put the cable because it aint hooked to the release mechanism.

CAN SOMEONE SHOW ME WHAT 3 SCREWS IN THE GRILL I AM SUPPOSED TO REMOVE....PLEASE.???? I have a B6 S4 cab and the the grill is not the same as the sedan.

Freaking snow on the roads and my wiper fluid is empty!!!! getting tired of using a windex bottle going down the highway in my $60K car....felt like the lady in front of me at mcdonalds when she was in a Denali and had to open up her car door to place an order...guess her window regulator is toast in her $60K truck?

im about ready to cut a hole in the hood and replace it.
    The three screws are NOT in the grill. You need to pop the aluminum looking ring out around the grill, then the grill itself. You will break a couple, but try to break as few of the tabs off the grill as possible, unless you feel like replacing it. Then there are three bolts holding the hood side of the latch TO the hood itself. These will be a bitch and will only turn about a quarter turn at a time or less. Also, they're thread-locked so getting the first turn will be a bastard.
    -----

the fuj.

Veteran Member Four Rings vinny.dtw's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 R8 / 04 A4 / 11 STi / 93 300SE
    Items for Sale

Here is my suggestion before you decide to do something wreckless with your hood. First look under where the latch (inside the car) is, and see if you can see the cable itself. If you can, then use a set of pliers to pull the cable, but be as gentle as possible, because you don't want to break the cable (it has a little metal ball at the end of the cable that secures itself onto the latch). If tends to be very tight, see if you can get a can of WD40 with the long straw head, poke it into the hood latch, and see if you can lube the latch a little bit, and let it soak.

If that still doesn't work, then I'm afraid you may have to go with something a little more drastic. Aka, pull your top grille off, and find those 3 screws. Which technically you should be able to see...but not sure about a cabby. Good luck!

Veteran Member Four Rings koolade9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 & 190e 2.3-16 x2

Quote Originally Posted by vinny.dtw View Post
    Here is my suggestion before you decide to do something wreckless with your hood. First look under where the latch (inside the car) is, and see if you can see the cable itself. If you can, then use a set of pliers to pull the cable, but be as gentle as possible, because you don't want to break the cable (it has a little metal ball at the end of the cable that secures itself onto the latch). If tends to be very tight, see if you can get a can of WD40 with the long straw head, poke it into the hood latch, and see if you can lube the latch a little bit, and let it soak.

If that still doesn't work, then I'm afraid you may have to go with something a little more drastic. Aka, pull your top grille off, and find those 3 screws. Which technically you should be able to see...but not sure about a cabby. Good luck!
    this was going to be my follow-up suggestion...

Veteran Member Four Rings beemercer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '90 Cq - '13 R

The black plastic clip that holds the latch to the radiator support probably broke off like in my car. I couldn't see anything from underneath so I popped the front grille off and then used a open end wrench to drop the three bolts that hold the latch to the hood. I'm just not sure if the Cabrio grill is different, you may not have the same amount of room to get in there.
    You represent the idiocy of today.