Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Jeffha4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Question Fuel Pump Replaced - Now running out of gas

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I replaced my fuel pump/filter about two weeks ago. Now it seems if my tank reaches about 1/8th tank(between E and 1/4 line) I'm running out of gas.

Is there the possibility that I installed the pump wrong, and just can't suck up that last 1/8th tank worth of gas? I'm near 100% certain I got it down and twist locked it into place in the tank basket as it should be.

Is there something else that I'm not getting here? In a couple hours I'll go fill my tank to see how much it takes. I did two gallons this morning, in order to get to work (where gas is paid, otherwise I'd have done full tank), so I should theoretically be able to get about 15 gallons if it were actually empty this morning. But only about 13 if I'm just not getting the rest of the gas, right?

I'll probably pull out the sensor and see if any of the contacts are dirty or anything. But I'm skeptical if this is the problem, as if I throw in two gallons after running out the level jumps up to the quarter line. Shouldn't it stay near the 1/8th line with two gallons - if my fuel level sensor is bad/dirty and the tank is really empty?

Anyone else ever have any problem like this? I don't want to be sucking my tank dry constantly.
    '05.5 B7 S4 - Brilliant Black - JHM 91 Tune - Piggie'd Exhaust - 25% Tint All Around - Symphony II+ Retrofit

Wish List: FI Catback - JHM LWCP

Veteran Member Four Rings Slow4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Ford Flex SEL
    Items for Sale

Fuel Pump Replaced - Now running out of gas

The fuel pumps do not come with the level sensor...if they do, you HAVE to make sure that it does. ECS, Europa and I believe Genuine Audi Parts do not supply it WITH the pump; I had an experience with ECS where they had to change the description because it didn't come with it.

The passenger side (main level sensor) is roughly 175 and the driver is about 185.

Chances are your main level sensor is bad so when you're out of fuel, it'll say 1/8 full because of the bob is resting on the side of the tank. Also check your driver side sensor to make sure isn't broken, like mine was; it was LITERALLY floating around in the second fuel saddle.
    Marine Driven. Marine Approved.
    2005 Dolphin Grey B6 S4 Avant
    -------
    JHM 93 | Heads | Intake Spacers | LWCP | LWFW | STAGE4
    Fast Intentions | Millteks | 034Motorsport | Koni | H/R | FCP Groton
    Driver Mod

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Before replacing my pump, everything worked fine. I would get my gas light on, etc. I don't think the float is broken, as from Full to 1/8 it works exactly as it should. I'll have to check the contacts on the sensor and see if they are shorting to each other. At this point, I can't imagine what else the issue could be. But I suppose I'll check both when I've got the seat taken back out.
    '05.5 B7 S4 - Brilliant Black - JHM 91 Tune - Piggie'd Exhaust - 25% Tint All Around - Symphony II+ Retrofit

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Ford Flex SEL
    Items for Sale

It's probably a bad sensor...when you go back in, take a look at your pump system.

Also, you replace the filter?
    -------
    Driver Mod

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slow4 View Post

Also, you replace the filter?
    Yeah, filter replaced.

Veteran Member Three Rings Tugboatguy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 S4 ,98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Did you reconnect the suction from the drivers side of the tank to the pump, or you may have dislodged the connection at the drivers pickup when you were reconnecting. If the pump isn't drawing off that side of the tank your going to have a guage that says you have fuel because the drivers side sensor is floating but the fuel pump is sucking air.

Senior Member Three Rings evolution2147's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffha4 View Post
    Before replacing my pump, everything worked fine. I would get my gas light on, etc. I don't think the float is broken, as from Full to 1/8 it works exactly as it should. I'll have to check the contacts on the sensor and see if they are shorting to each other. At this point, I can't imagine what else the issue could be. But I suppose I'll check both when I've got the seat taken back out.
    While this may not be practical, the best thing to do may be to run out of gas and then pull the pump to see what it looks like.

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago and i noticed that the bottom half of the pump that houses the motor is sealed at the bottom. Therefore once the tank level gets below 4-5 inches it will starve the pump if things aren't connected properly. There are 2 hoses that keep fuel constantly flowing into the bottom half: one is a bigger hose that is ribbed and it just pushes into the hole near the top of the bottom portion. The other is a smaller one that physically connects and snaps into a hose from the other side of the tank. You should double check these hoses.
    2008 RS4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboatguy View Post
    Did you reconnect the suction from the drivers side of the tank to the pump, or you may have dislodged the connection at the drivers pickup when you were reconnecting. If the pump isn't drawing off that side of the tank your going to have a guage that says you have fuel because the drivers side sensor is floating but the fuel pump is sucking air.
    I'll check that. I reconnected all of the lines I undid for sure, but it seems as if I'm probably not picking up from drivers side. Perhaps I knocked something without noticing?

I've been out of town, and still have a full tank. I'll have to wait until I run it down a bit before I open the hatches.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by evolution2147 View Post
    There are 2 hoses that keep fuel constantly flowing into the bottom half: one is a bigger hose that is ribbed and it just pushes into the hole near the top of the bottom portion. The other is a smaller one that physically connects and snaps into a hose from the other side of the tank. You should double check these hoses.
    I'll check that as well when I get in there. Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Alright guys. So here's what i've found.

My gauge read just over 1/4 tank.

I opened the tank back up, drivers side first. Gas level was low on that side - maybe 1 or 2 gallons, sensor looked good.

I then opened up the passenger side, gas level seemed much higher - top of the basket. pulled pump, checked hoses inside tank, everything seems good. checked the float, along with the sensor, looks good. Made sure everything was reconnected properly, and reassembled.

Started up the car, gauge now reads over 1/2 tank full!?!? I'm assuming this is from the passenger side being so high still?

Why would I have more gas in my passenger side? This is so contrary to every similar problem I've seen...

Maybe I just need to fill up again and see if it runs down evenly again... I dunno.

oh, on a side note. in the last week, i have been throwing codes p0441 and p0455 - evap purge/leak codes. I'm thinking there's a lack of relief in the tank - is there a pressure relief valve for the fuel system somewhere?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Ford Flex SEL
    Items for Sale

oh, on a side note. in the last week, i have been throwing codes p0441 and p0455 - evap purge/leak codes. I'm thinking there's a lack of relief in the tank - is there a pressure relief valve for the fuel system somewhere?
    Yes; up front by the air box, theres a cylindrical object by your AC refrigerant/refill valve. The other is a cone filter like EVAP that is on the driver rear behind the wheel well liner.

Also, your sensors MAY look good but they might be faulty or malfunctioning. I suggest run till almost empty, refill and try again. The way our fuel system work is via gravity; as your pump PUMPs, it'll drain from the driver saddle into the passenger saddle hence why your driver side look almost empty. If you recall your memory, the connection from driver to passenger saddle is via a Y-shaped ribbed hose that is also connected to your passenger fuel sender sensor/bob.
    -------
    Driver Mod

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So I finally got everything pulled back apart, and I checked all of my lines. Everything is routed where it is supposed to be and I believe that everything is feeding as it should. When I run the car based off mileage, I think I'm getting full use of my tank.

I replaced my purge valve, which has corrected the back-pressure problem.

But I'm still having gauge issues.

I checked my sensors, and I seem to be getting the proper ohm range ~50-300. But my gauge still fluctuates at the high end. For example, I'm currently about 3 gallons down based on mileage since filling up, but my gauge is still right near the full line.

Any thoughts? I'm going to plug in my vag com and check my calibration. Maybe it was changed at some point? I'm going to see if it's at the standard 128. I'll run another tank through to double check everything. Maybe I moved some hoses that were catching the floats? I'll update again after my next fill up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Ford Flex SEL
    Items for Sale

For example, I'm currently about 3 gallons down based on mileage since filling up, but my gauge is still right near the full line.

Any thoughts?
    You're worrying too much?
    -------
    Driver Mod

Veteran Member Three Rings earhythmic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Dolphin S4

Subbed. I've been having this exact problem for a while. It started when I replaced my EVAP charcoal canister. Found out the hard way where empty REALLY is - middle of a busy intersection
    JHM Stage 3 Clutch + LWFW | JHM Shifter | JHM Shift Linkage | 034 Tranny & Rear Diff Mount | Custom Straight Pipe Exhaust | Apikol Snub Mount | AWE Pedals | Xenon Interiors | VAG stuff

AZ Member #

So I finally got everything pulled back apart, and I checked all of my lines. Everything is routed where it is supposed to be and I believe that everything is feeding as it should. When I run the car based off mileage, I think I'm getting full use of my tank.

I replaced my purge valve, which has corrected the back-pressure problem.

But I'm still having gauge issues.

I checked my sensors, and I seem to be getting the proper ohm range ~50-300. But my gauge still fluctuates at the high end. For example, I'm currently about 3 gallons down based on mileage since filling up, but my gauge is still right near the full line.

Any thoughts? I'm going to plug in my vag com and check my calibration. Maybe it was changed at some point? I'm going to see if it's at the standard 128. I'll run another tank through to double check everything. Maybe I moved some hoses that were catching the floats? I'll update again after my next fill up.
    Is it possible your old pump sensor was bad and you didn't realize it? I mean my gauge doesn't start moving until I'm about 60-70 miles into the tank. So at 20 mpg thats around 3 gallons.
    2008 RS4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Is it possible your old pump sensor was bad and you didn't realize it? I mean my gauge doesn't start moving until I'm about 60-70 miles into the tank. So at 20 mpg thats around 3 gallons.
    I haven't replaced any of the sensors. They are the ones that have always been there. That's why I'm so confused by all of this. Changed my pump, and everything started going crazy.

The needle moving from full isn't the big problem anyway. It's when it goes down to a quarter and starts dancing all along the 1/2 to full range, then running out without a gas light that kills me.

I've checked my sensors, they are giving the full range of resistance, so I don't suspect them as the culprits anymore.

Vag com has everything as it should in regards to the fuel calibration.

I'll run through another tank and see where I'm at. I just filled it after checking my sensor resistance, maybe I moved a hose or something. At this point, that's about the only thing I can imagine was happening. A float catching on a hose.

AZ Member #

I haven't replaced any of the sensors. They are the ones that have always been there. That's why I'm so confused by all of this. Changed my pump, and everything started going crazy.
    Did you replace just the physical pump motor or did you replace the entire green assembly? I just did the whole unit and it came with a new float and sensor. To be honest I'm surprised mine worked perfect on the first try because the unit sits in there pretty weird. But if your saying the gauge moves from 1/4 to 1/2 quickly then i would really think you must have a sensor problem. even if the ohms seem fine it might not be working properly. if you replaced the entire assembly try putting the old float/sensor in, if you only swapped out the motor then maybe the sensor was damaged during the removal.
    2008 RS4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Did you replace just the physical pump motor or did you replace the entire green assembly? I just did the whole unit and it came with a new float and sensor. To be honest I'm surprised mine worked perfect on the first try because the unit sits in there pretty weird. But if your saying the gauge moves from 1/4 to 1/2 quickly then i would really think you must have a sensor problem. even if the ohms seem fine it might not be working properly. if you replaced the entire assembly try putting the old float/sensor in, if you only swapped out the motor then maybe the sensor was damaged during the removal.
    Just the motor and top. The float and sensor are a separate assembly that attach to the side of the basket. That stayed.

Veteran Member Three Rings earhythmic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Dolphin S4

Just did some poking around and came across this thread that seems to have cured the 1/8 tank issue. Starts at post #5. Clicky
    JHM Stage 3 Clutch + LWFW | JHM Shifter | JHM Shift Linkage | 034 Tranny & Rear Diff Mount | Custom Straight Pipe Exhaust | Apikol Snub Mount | AWE Pedals | Xenon Interiors | VAG stuff

AZ Member #

Just the motor and top. The float and sensor are a separate assembly that attach to the side of the basket. That stayed.
    Yeah my bad I forgot the s4's have a different fuel system than the a4 and rs4
    2008 RS4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok, so I think I figured this out. I ran a couple hundred miles this week without any issues that I can see.

Last time I opened up my tank, I noticed on the drivers side that the blue assembly (jet pump?) that feeds to the passenger side was not attached to the bottom of the sending unit. I don't know how it came undone, as I was having these problems before I even ever opened the drivers side of the tank. But I re-attached it to the clips on the sending unit, and it appears to be functioning as it should. My best guess is that the assembly and hoses were moving around in the tank and catching the float.

I'll update if anything changes.