Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings jr1415us's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Who else loves changing oil?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just need to say this I LOVE CHANGING THE OIL! If there's one thing you can do that will always be a good for the car, it's changing the oil. Plus, the placebo effect experience of having a smoother, quieter engine is the greatest.

Changed the oil yesterday, and the car is like new ( hahaha!).

That's all.
    04 Avant Tip Moro Blue

Apikol snub, H&R RS4 RSB, stainless brake lines, debadged

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003.5 BMW 330i ZHP

Great. - end thread-

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

the question should be "who knows how to change oil" as there isn't a lot of information on how to do it cause audi wants you to take it to the dealership to get it done.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by d.v. View Post
    the question should be "who knows how to change oil" as there isn't a lot of information on how to do it cause audi wants you to take it to the dealership to get it done.
    Personally I like extracting it out of the dip stick tube. The filter on the 4.2 is right on top so doing it this way there's no need to put the car on ramps/jack stands or remove the belly pan.

Some people might say that it's better to drain it out of the bottom to get out all the "crud" that collects at the bottom of the pan. Technically if you change the oil within the recommended increments you shouldn't have "crud" settling in the oil pan.

Jason
    Have questions need answers now? Live Chat! 8:30AM to 11PM EST
    sales@ecstuning.com |customerservice@ecstuning.com
    Customer Service Hours: 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST
    Reach our Sales Team from: 8:00AM to 11:00PM EST
    OEM Audi Part Number Search with Pricing<--- Click me!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi View Post
    Personally I like extracting it out of the dip stick tube. The filter on the 4.2 is right on top so doing it this way there's no need to put the car on ramps/jack stands or remove the belly pan.

Some people might say that it's better to drain it out of the bottom to get out all the "crud" that collects at the bottom of the pan. Technically if you change the oil within the recommended increments you shouldn't have "crud" settling in the oil pan.

Jason
    Jason,

Are you able to remove all the old oil with the extractor? I really wouldn't miss lying under the car struggling with the belly pan.
    04 Avant Tip Moro Blue

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jr1415us View Post
    Jason,

Are you able to remove all the old oil with the extractor? I really wouldn't miss lying under the car struggling with the belly pan.
    You can remove the majority of it. The first time I did it I was skeptical as well so I went the extra mile and attempted to drain out whatever was left from the pan (if any) and it was less than a 1/4 of a quart of oil that came out. To my standards I could live with that if it meant I wouldn't have to fuss with lifting the vehicle and removing the belly pan every 5-7k miles. When you drive as much as me (average 80+ miles per day) oil changes are pretty frequent so this was a huge relief.

Jason

Established Member Two Rings pwest15's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Did mine yesterday too... I mean, I guess it was pretty cool... I do like how quick and easy it is on our cars, especially when you cut out the skid plate to expose the drain plug
    Silver 2004 B6 S4 6MT

Established Member Three Rings mistral cytz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pwest15 View Post
    Did mine yesterday too... I mean, I guess it was pretty cool... I do like how quick and easy it is on our cars, especially when you cut out the skid plate to expose the drain plug
    This ^^ Removing the belly ban is most of the work. Make a cut out big enough to removed the oil pan nut and replace it and you'll have the easiest oil changes ever.
    2007 Ibis White S4 6MT Sedan. Piggie pipes with Fast Intentions resonated catback, JHM Short throw shifter. JHM intake manifold spacers.

AZ Member #

By using an extractor you eliminate the part were you even have to lift the car. No ramps no jack stands.. Just pull the dip stick out.. Shove the little hose from the extractor in the dip stick tube.. Pump the extractor 10-12 times and walk away!

Jason

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Joking, right? Replace filter, drain oil, fill oil, reset reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi View Post
    By using an extractor you eliminate the part were you even have to lift the car. No ramps no jack stands.. Just pull the dip stick out.. Shove the little hose from the extractor in the dip stick tube.. Pump the extractor 10-12 times and walk away!

Jason
    please provide a linky, never heard of such a thing. may be my new tool in the garage! does this work for every type of vehicle?

AZ Member #

please provide a linky, never heard of such a thing. may be my new tool in the garage! does this work for every type of vehicle?

Here's one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQsFaQodj1gA2A
    04 Avant Tip Moro Blue

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

so if the oil filter is only accessible under the vehicle then this is really just a luxury since you still need to get under the vehicle regardless?

AZ Member #

See the link below!

You can use them on almost any vehicle. Vehicles that have the filter on top or in a location that doesn't involve accessing it through the bottom make it even more of a breeze.

No joke I laughed out loud at how simple it was to change the oil. I would also recommend that you let the oil warm up a bit by running the vehicle prior. The extractor works much better when the oil isn't as thick. If you do it cold you'll probably have to keep pumping it few times.

Jason

AZ Member #

so if the oil filter is only accessible under the vehicle then this is really just a luxury since you still need to get under the vehicle regardless?
    On the S4 the oil filter is on the top of the motor, under the plastic cover that has the Audi logo on it.
    04 Avant Tip Moro Blue

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

On the S4 the oil filter is on the top of the motor, under the plastic cover that has the Audi logo on it.
    haha, i meant for other vehicles, in general. i would hate to drop $100+ on a tool that is only useful on 1 of my vehicles.

AZ Member #

haha, i meant for other vehicles, in general. i would hate to drop $100+ on a tool that is only useful on 1 of my vehicles.
    You'd be surprised at how many newer vehicles have the oil filter accessible by just popping the hood. The old style filter encased in a steel shell on the bottom half of the engine is a dieing bread.

Jason

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Here's the one I bought

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...VUchoCnGLw_wcB

Established Member Three Rings SpoolBus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EvilWorld View Post
    That one is only 6.9 quarts, is there a way to drain while flowing or do you need to stop, drain and restart?

Senior Member Four Rings jeffrey146's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4 nogaro avant MTQ, 08 evo, 12 jetta S MT
    Items for Sale

I have no problems draining it out. It's just a pain when your retarded friends decide to dump green coolant in your used oil.

CHECK OUT MY BUILD THREAD!!!
    Noggy S4 Avant MT B6
    Miro 111s, Continental DWS , 034 rear sway with endlinks, JHM 91 No2 tune, APR full exhaust with drileed cats, Performance front bags and custom rear, Morimoto mini H1 Bixenon retrofit (4300k) in hylix housings.
    Coming soon: Zero gap snub and rear diff mount

Established Member Three Rings CDN_S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Rainbows and Unicorns

I love oil changes too. I have a small stock pile of liqui Molly and Hengst filters. I have the Thor plate, so it's just 4 screws. Doesn't bother me. I actually love getting under my car. I even like the smell of the oil lol.
    Car History: 2007 GLI, 2001 A6 2.7T, 2007 GTI, 2004 S4

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi S4, 1998 Audi A4

on my S4, ok doing my oil change (walk in the park as far as DIY goes). on my B5 A4, not so much since the filter is a pain to get to & tough to prevent oil from getting everywhere.
    Tom
    2006 Audi S4 (present), B7 platform. 1998 Audi A4 (present), B5 platform. 1975 Audi Fox (past), B1 platform.

Senior Member Three Rings Quadfreak's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audi49 View Post
    on my S4, ok doing my oil change (walk in the park as far as DIY goes). on my B5 A4, not so much since the filter is a pain to get to & tough to prevent oil from getting everywhere.
    Yes. Coming from a b5 a4 myself, I was so happy when I found out the filter was right on top and easily accessible.
    Brilliant Black B6 S4 - Milltek CB | Vogtland GT Coilovers | Rotiform MIA | 034 Snub Mount&Bracket | 034 Rear Sway Bar | Stern Adjustable Control Arms | CF Relak Side Skirts | Cupra R | Ziza Yellow Fog Bulbs

Veteran Member Three Rings blackedoutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4, MK1 TT, Tacoma
    Items for Sale

Changing oil is the best feeling ever, like you're doing so much good for the world. Some donate to save neglected animals or starving children, but others spatter hot oil on the garage floor. Both have the same emotions associated with them. Good job oil changers.
    YEAH BUDDY!

Established Member Two Rings Fritz_S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audi49 View Post
    On the B5 A4 you can just remove the two screws from the coolant expansion tank and move that aside to access the filter from the top. Then, you wrap the filter with a cloth to absorb the oil that will come out before fitting the oil filter wrench, the universal wrap around types are preferable for this. Hell, I didn't even have to jack my B5 passat or my old roomate's B5 A4 to change the oil since neither of them were lowered so the drain pan fit under the car with no issues. That is not necessarily the case for the stock S4.

Sure the B6 S4 is very easy but the B5 A4 is just as easy once you've done it a couple times and it's less time consuming (this goes out the window if you drop the B5 A4/Passat).

Veteran Member Four Rings quattroism25's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4, 05 A6, Acura Legend Type II

While we're on the subject. The crush washer on the drain plug, where can I get a few of them?
    MORO BLUE FTW
    Labree Catless Fullback~ JHM Intake Spacers ~ JHM ECU Tune~ JHM Shortshifter Kit~ JHM STG IV Clutch Kit~ JHM LW Crank Pulley ~ KW V3 Coilovers~ Hotchkis Swaybars ~ Apikol Rear Diff Mount ~ 19" VMR 710s ~ Thor Skidplate ~ R8 Steering Wheel ~ RNSE Navi ~ Piano Black Trim ~ OEM RS4 Shifter, Brake Handle & Deadpedal ~ AWE Pedals ~ 20% Tint ~ HID Fogs

Established Member Three Rings mistral cytz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by quattroism25 View Post
    While we're on the subject. The crush washer on the drain plug, where can I get a few of them?
    Stealership.

They're cheap enough that even the ridiculous dealership markup can't really make the price too steep.

AZ Member #

NAPA, or rmeuropean.com

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...503_0303037228

http://www.rmeuropean.com/part-numbe..._ca4918f1.aspx
    04 Avant Tip Moro Blue

AZ Member #

We have them available HERE

It's best to add these to an order rather than order a bunch by themselves.

Jason

Veteran Member Four Rings quattroism25's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4, 05 A6, Acura Legend Type II

^^^Thanks
    MORO BLUE FTW
    Labree Catless Fullback~ JHM Intake Spacers ~ JHM ECU Tune~ JHM Shortshifter Kit~ JHM STG IV Clutch Kit~ JHM LW Crank Pulley ~ KW V3 Coilovers~ Hotchkis Swaybars ~ Apikol Rear Diff Mount ~ 19" VMR 710s ~ Thor Skidplate ~ R8 Steering Wheel ~ RNSE Navi ~ Piano Black Trim ~ OEM RS4 Shifter, Brake Handle & Deadpedal ~ AWE Pedals ~ 20% Tint ~ HID Fogs

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi S4, 1998 Audi A4

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_S4 View Post
    On the B5 A4 you can just remove the two screws from the coolant expansion tank and move that aside to access the filter from the top. Then, you wrap the filter with a cloth to absorb the oil that will come out before fitting the oil filter wrench, the universal wrap around types are preferable for this. Hell, I didn't even have to jack my B5 passat or my old roomate's B5 A4 to change the oil since neither of them were lowered so the drain pan fit under the car with no issues. That is not necessarily the case for the stock S4.

Sure the B6 S4 is very easy but the B5 A4 is just as easy once you've done it a couple times and it's less time consuming (this goes out the window if you drop the B5 A4/Passat).
    Thanks. Have had my A4 for 16 years and have not thought of this, even though I've removed the coolant tank for other repairs. I'll try this next time!

Senior Member Two Rings combsatl's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Lincoln Navigator, 01 BMW 330i 5MT

I got the Topsider to help change my oil through the dipstick and absolutely love doing oil changes! I ended up settling in that specific extractor because it was the only one that had enough capacity to hold my s4's oil.
    2004 S4 | BRILLIANT BLACK | 6MT

Established Member Three Rings Brettannica's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi A4 Avant

[QUOTE=pwest15;10063630...especially when you cut out the skid plate to expose the drain plug[/QUOTE]

Genius
    In The Garage: B7 S4: Carbon Fibre: Vis Racing Vented Hood, Relak Skirts, Door Blades, DTM Deck Lip : Paddle Shift Extensions : 034Motorsport Snub & Bracket, JR Air Filter : Matt Gunmetal 19 6RS V10s B8 A4 Avant: BSR Bling : 19 4RS V10s
    Previous Rides: E32 BMW 740i E36 BMW 325i B5 A3S B6 A4 Ford Falcon 351 Triumph TR8 Vauxall Super Tourer Saab 9-3 Saab 9-5 Toyota Prado 4x4

Established Member Two Rings pwest15's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Brettannica View Post
    Genius
    Thanks That idea's been around for a while, just couldn't take the credit
    Silver 2004 B6 S4 6MT