Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings gx93117's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Gas pedal stuck / acceleration surge

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've been experiencing some weird acceleration lately. If I get on the pedal to pass someone the car will keep accelerating after I release the pedal. It's not leveling out or coasting but continues to accelerate faster and the pedal will continue to go down on its own. Pretty scary the first time it happened as I was trying to merge into tight traffic. I was like WTF. It seems to continue surging for a few seconds. If I hit the brakes it will stop surging immediately. The other day I was in a tunnel and decided to blip the throttle. I was at about 3k and changed to neutral and i hit the throttle slightly just so I could hear it rev...but then it jumped all the way to 8K and was there for about a second or two. Didn't make any sense...I barely touched the throttle. The pedal did not continue to depress on its on when this happened. It released right away so I didn't expect it to keep revving. Wasn't until I got more surging today did I realize it was probably all related.

Definitely not a floor mat issue. The accelerator is not really stuck, but more like accelerating on its own. Seems like a DBW issue. It feels similar too when you're on cruise control and the accelerator depresses when you're going up a hill to maintain speed.

This is totally screwing up my throttle response feedback.

Search and found some similar reports, but no solutions. Anyone have ideas or know if there is anything I can VAG-Com? Gonna do a throttle body adaptation when I get home.
    Last edited by gx93117; 11-30-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    1999.5 A4 1.8TQMS Laser Red
    2007 S4 MT Light Silver Metallic

Established Member Two Rings S4fun's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'd call Toyota!

Really though, the fact that it keeps going is what's weird to me. I've had an accelerator stick on me, and after lubing some of the joints in the pedal and the throttle body it never did it again, but I'm not sure that's your issue. When it does it, can you try pulling back on the accelerator by sticking your foot under it or something? I wonder if this would cause it to stop.

Also, are you sure your cruse control is turned off? Maybe the ecu is getting a signal from the cruise somehow.

Veteran Member Four Rings crabpot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500

I certainly wouldn't be driving the car with that issue ...

Not sure what is going on though.

Senior Member Three Rings CoDRoX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Someone somewhere inside Audi just saw this thread and had a heart attack..

Quote Originally Posted by crabpot View Post
    I certainly wouldn't be driving the car with that issue ...
    Agreed.
    New addition! 2013 allroad | Prestige | Glacier White Metallic/Chestnut Brown | Sports Package | 19" Wheels | Audi Drive Select | Adaptive Cruise Control |
    2006 A4 2.0T quattro | S-Line | Black/Black | 6MT | Bi-Xenon AFS | Navigation | Bose | BlueTooth | Tint | APR Stg I | Rev. D DV |

Senior Member Two Rings ProfileX's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S5 2011 Sprint Blue

I had the accelerator stick once a few months ago, during the same time Toyota was getting all the bad press. Just when I reached down to move the floor mat it stopped, I don't think it was the mat but it's possible. Freaked me out, glad it only happened once.

Established Member Two Rings gx93117's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well I am an idiot. I didn't think it was possible but turns out it was the floor mat. Was doing the throttle body adaptation and noticed the pedal wouldn't come up right away after i floored it. I have the thick rubber winter mats and the bottom tip of the pedal was getting resistance on the sidewall of the mat. I guess the sensation i got from the pedal depressing was actually it not moving back up fast enough. Glad it was just the mat :D
    1999.5 A4 1.8TQMS Laser Red
    2007 S4 MT Light Silver Metallic

Senior Member Two Rings dtrizzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ya right. Your car is haunted.
    2007 Phantom RS4// 20% tint all around//Clear Bra (entire front end)//Smoked Side Markers//Smoked & Clearcoated tails// Windshield 50% tint//Pioneer Amp and 12'' sub//Pioneer AVIC Z-150BH Head Unit//LED interior//LED City & DRL//HID fogs//10mm MTM spacers//JHM Lightweight Rotors (front & rear)//JHM Short Shifter//GruppeM intake//APR Tuned//Hotchkis front & rear swaybars

Established Member Two Rings S4fun's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by dtrizzo View Post
    Ya right. Your car is haunted.
    LMAO

Established Member Two Rings cmd4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mines Done the same thing before,I was wanting to slow down......but it kept going and pulling more and more close to 6000rpms,then it stopped for a second while i pulled my foot out of it and shifted to sixth
    b6 s4 avant blk/blk-57k 6mt.....my favorite
    05 b6 s4 6mt.....36k-gone
    dd -03 7.3 pwrstrk 6spd 180k and counting
    85 fj 60 lt1 and nv4500
    79 fj40-SMB 350 and other goodies-still don't no why i sold it
    96-993 C4Sůfinally!

Veteran Member Four Rings jfunkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    R32 B7/S4....2000 2.7t gone :(

Well yes thats much better then what it could have been. Still if you have vag com you should to a throttle body adaption test
    JHM war machine. Total transformation. JHM/Tune/headers/intake manifold.
    My B7S4. Faster then my old RS4 and First B7 S4 in the 12's

AMA member
    USMC member (active)
    Facts first member. Built and supported by many

Veteran Member Three Rings WhatADream's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The same exact thing has been happening to me too! I went to Audi and they just denied denied denied...
    I think its an ECU issue because a fellow AZ member also had the same issue and when he upgraded to JHM tune, it went away.
    I really hope no one gets hurt because of this problem. seems like only select people are having the problem.
    2005 White S4
    FI catback
    Otherwise Stock

Veteran Member Three Rings WhatADream's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gx93117 View Post
    Well I am an idiot. I didn't think it was possible but turns out it was the floor mat. Was doing the throttle body adaptation and noticed the pedal wouldn't come up right away after i floored it. I have the thick rubber winter mats and the bottom tip of the pedal was getting resistance on the sidewall of the mat. I guess the sensation i got from the pedal depressing was actually it not moving back up fast enough. Glad it was just the mat :D
    dude its not your floor mat!
    common rev to 8k rpms from a floor mat?
    myn reved like that too, and I dont have rubber floor mats. Sometimes I want it to just deaccelerate and it would remain constant. wierd.
    2005 White S4
    FI catback
    Otherwise Stock

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

This just happened on my way back to school from lunch. Scared the blazes out of me, seriously thought id be on tv for having another "runaway prius" type deals. happened on down shift from 4th to 3rd and somehow noticed the rpms go past my target. I cut the ignition right away despite having clutch depressed. Didnt have time to mess around or see what exactly went on but i searched the forums to check it out once i was in class. The above solution thread starter had sounds likely to apply to me. i got all weather mats also.

Veteran Member Four Rings Axel-'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 JHM Stg 1 SC'd S4 Avant 6MT

Are we back in the 80s all of a sudden?

As for the Toyota ones, I wonder how many of them used that excuse to speed. "I swear officer, you've seen the news, it's happening to EVERYONE! It just kept accelerating! Why didn't I just go into neutral you say? Hmm... But..."
    Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant 6MT - 421whp/350wtq - Review of Mods
    JHM Stage 1 SC - JHM IM - JHM 5R clutch - JHM LWFW - Stoptech ST-60 BBK - KW v3 Coilovers - JHM shifter - Trexturk DP - Magnaflow CB - Hotchkis RSB - JHM IS - 034 Adj. FUCA - Zada Tech Gauges - STE Gauges

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yep happened to me today, first time ever, but did notice the rpm would fluctuate even after I release the throttle/clutch in when backing out etc.

I haven't drove the RS4 in about 4 days, took it out today. Going through the tunnel, I down shifted and blipped the throttle to rev match then the peddle got stuck in WOT, bouncing off the rev limiter for like 2 secs, until I used my right toe to unstuck the pedal. Yea that sucked.

Tried it again but this time, pushed the throttle down fast while in gear, and it kept on accelerating, so I pushed the clutch in and RPM started to climb fast so I unstuck it with the right foot again.

I stopped, re-adjusted the floor mat (I use the winter thick rubber mats), floored the throttle a few times while car was off to see how it can get stuck, listened to any unusual noises from the pedal (squeaking, spring noises etc). Everything feels and sounds fine.

After I drove around, it seems to be just fine.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it did freak me out since I've never had the "sticky" gas pedal issue in any car I have owned in the past. Poor engine, bouncing off the rev-limiter..
    Previous cars - Suzuki Swift GTI 89, Lancer OZ 03, Subaru Impreza WRX 2006, Mercedes Benz R500 2006, Honda CBR600RR Graffiti 2008, Volvo C30 R 2011, Subaru BRZ Turbo 2013

Current - Audi RS4 Avus Silver 2007, Mercedes Benz ML350 2012

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Had that happen to my clutch pedal during a left turn in the middle of an intersection because of the stupid weathertech mats. Threw those out.
    JHM Stage 1 SC - JHM IM - JHM 5R clutch - JHM LWFW - Stoptech ST-60 BBK - KW v3 Coilovers - JHM shifter - Trexturk DP - Magnaflow CB - Hotchkis RSB - JHM IS - 034 Adj. FUCA - Zada Tech Gauges - STE Gauges

Veteran Member Four Rings Guitarmageddon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A few buckets, a lot of microfiber towels, and 3 Pilot Sport PS2- for sale, PM me
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Axel- View Post
    Had that happen to my clutch pedal during a left turn in the middle of an intersection because of the stupid weathertech mats. Threw those out.
    So weathertech is a no-go? Ive always considered getting them, but I do have oem rubber "a4" mats from the previous owner. Those work just fine like they were meant to.
    2007 S4 in Phantom ▀lack Pearl....1 of 1...in the country
    JHM Piggies │ JHM Short throw shifter │ F.I. Non-resonated cat▀ack │ JHM 93 oct. │ 35/35 tints

Established Member Two Rings Clear2Close's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarmageddon View Post
    So weathertech is a no-go? Ive always considered getting them, but I do have oem rubber "a4" mats from the previous owner. Those work just fine like they were meant to.
    Same shit happens with my S6 all weather matts from Audi because of the fact they don't fit right. The response I got from parts dept at Audi...... Wait for it......"THATS HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarmageddon View Post
    I heard they revised the design to have a lower cutout for the clutch pedal. Guess most cars are autos and their first design didn't take manuals into account. I called them to complain and they just told me to inverse them for 24 hours which helped, for about 48 hours and then they started curling again. I never bothered to check the new designs. So who knows. Maybe it's fixed now.