Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT quattro - 12.8@106MPH Stock Internals - 2006 R6 Raven

Thumbs up JHM Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit for B6-B7 S4!!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Guys!

We are happy to Introduce the JHM Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit for the B6-B7 S4!!!

JHM is pleased to bring you another performance upgrade for your B6-B7 S4 that is the result of our Supercharger Kit development and testing. This is the same upgraded Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit we have been running on Tiptronic B6-B7 S4s with the JHM Supercharger Kit since 2010.

This is a great upgrade for your Automatic-Tiptronic B6-B7 S4. An automatic transmission and the components within it last longest when the temperature is kept as low as possible. The stock transmission cooler is integrated into the radiator where the transmission fluid will either be heated or cooled based on the temperature of the coolant in the radiator. On the B6-B7 S4, these coolant temperatures can range from 195 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit (90 to 94 degrees Celsius) so your baseline operating temperature of the transmission fluid will be 200 degrees F. If you're driving the car harder, the transmission fluid temperatures will only increase from this baseline of 200 degrees. Our Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit separates the transmission cooler from the radiator and brings that baseline temperature way down. With a lower baseline temperature, the operating temperature of the transmission fluid is much cooler which will extend the life of the components in the transmission.

Our kit replaces the factory automatic transmission fluid cooler lines with a performance transmission cooler fluid core and high-quality hosing. We include everything you need to mount the cooler and adapt the transmission fluid hosing to the stock fluid lines on your vehicle.

PARTS INCLUDED
    - 1x Transmission Cooler Core
    - 1x Transmission Cooler Core Mounting Kit w/ 4x Ties
    - 1x Transmission Cooler Hose (extra supplied for a wide array of mounting locations)
    - 2x Hose Couplers, Barbed Brass
    - 6x Hose Clamps

INSTALLATION NOTES:
    - For some installation notes and a set of labeled pictures detailing the installation of this kit, please click HERE

Click HERE to order!!

Also, don't forget to purchase some transmission fluid!

Click HERE for transmission fluid!

Thanks again for all of the support everyone! Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Jake

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Product not found in click here link

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Clear your vehicle?

Veteran Member Four Rings 10MPG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 AW S4 // '11 PB A8L

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    This is the same upgraded Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit we have been running on Tiptronic B6-B7 S4s with the JHM Supercharger Kit since 2010.
    Time flies.... speaking of which, I hope you guys are getting close to bringing more goodies to the market soon.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 10MPG View Post
    Time flies.... speaking of which, I hope you guys are getting close to bringing more goodies to the market soon.
    Haha yup!

We are getting closer and closer every day!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Mazda RX8 GT

by goodies i hope you mean tip tune. id like to get the cooler and tune at the same time :-)
    B7 Sprint Blue Audi S4
    Few mods here and there

Established Member Four Rings pwest15's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Haha yup!

We are getting closer and closer every day!
    You're such a tease Jake!

Senior Member Four Rings FastEddie's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Bought it yesterday. Looking forward to putting this on with all the other shit i have laying around from you guys. April is going to kickass for me!
    SUSPENSION-KW V3-Hotchkiss RS4 sway bars-034 Adj UCA-034 strut mount-034 F&R end links-034 motor mounts-034 Snub mount W/bracket-034 Trans mount l BRAKES-ECS Stage 4 BBK-ECS rear rotors & lines, Hawk pads l Engine-JHM Tune-JHM 6 rib pulley-Milltek catless DP's-FI exhaust l EXTERIOR-RS4 black grille-Custom headlights-LED city & DRL lights-ECS LED tail lights & plate lights l INTERIOR-Custom steering wheel-SRP pedals-ECS LED lights-MOMO shift knob-Gen 2 RNSE & AMI l WHEELS-OEM RS4 W/ Michelin PSS

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    Bought it yesterday. Looking forward to putting this on with all the other shit i have laying around from you guys. April is going to kickass for me!
    Thanks for the order! Snap a bunch of pics for the install for me!

Veteran Member Four Rings A4Maine-iac's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 VW Routan , Silver 08- A4 Kids Size - Kaylah Sticker Mod

Quote Originally Posted by mgikone69 View Post
    by goodies i hope you mean tip tune. id like to get the cooler and tune at the same time :-)
    Jake you know you saw this!
    2002 A4 1.8T - sold

2007 DTM S4 -JHM 93 Tune - JHM Spacers- :: EuropaParts.com :: B7 S4 Performance - Exhaust - CF S6 Shift knob (made) - CF center caps (made) - LED DRL's - Trunk Monkey

Sound clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGz60n-31jc

AZ Member #
    My Garage

We are making progress!! There are a couple of people in this thread that may, or may not know just how much progress.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks for the order! Snap a bunch of pics for the install for me!

Will do.............
    SUSPENSION-KW V3-Hotchkiss RS4 sway bars-034 Adj UCA-034 strut mount-034 F&R end links-034 motor mounts-034 Snub mount W/bracket-034 Trans mount l BRAKES-ECS Stage 4 BBK-ECS rear rotors & lines, Hawk pads l Engine-JHM Tune-JHM 6 rib pulley-Milltek catless DP's-FI exhaust l EXTERIOR-RS4 black grille-Custom headlights-LED city & DRL lights-ECS LED tail lights & plate lights l INTERIOR-Custom steering wheel-SRP pedals-ECS LED lights-MOMO shift knob-Gen 2 RNSE & AMI l WHEELS-OEM RS4 W/ Michelin PSS

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the orders everyoen!

Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    Will do.............
    Awesome! We would love to include more photos in our DIY to help other DIY'ers!

Established Member Two Rings badger.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Lexus IS300
    Items for Sale

Bought this. Few things/questions:

1.) I did not get the mounting hardware in my kit. All I got was the core, the hose, two hose barbs, and 6 hose clamps.

2.) Mounting to the front of the radiator is unclear. Does it go OVER the PS cooler lines? Or NEXT to? Because next to doesn't fit, it hits the rubber splash guard on the side. If it sits over I would imagine there is not enough clearance (I don't have my bumper on yet) plus the mounts would need ~3/4" spacers to clear the PS lines.

3.) My car-side trans cooler hose connections are different than in the .zip install photos. One is the same but the other is just a crimp fitting, not a fitting with nuts/flares.

Last edited by badger.; 04-05-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    2005 S4 Sedan Arctic White
    JHM Intake Spacers | JHM ATF Cooler | Piggie Pipes | 034 Motor Mounts | Apikol Snub |
    they don't think it be like it is, but it do.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Lexus IS300
    Items for Sale

Got it figured and mounted! Will post pics tomorrow.
    JHM Intake Spacers | JHM ATF Cooler | Piggie Pipes | 034 Motor Mounts | Apikol Snub |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Lexus IS300
    Items for Sale

I think I got this installed last night. I ended up mounting it in front of the PS lines, and just zip-tying it to the radiator and PS cooler lines since I didn't get the mounting hardware. I snapped some install pics and also made a video (both are below).

Some notes:
    1) Had to trim the splash shield between main radiator and headlight on the passenger side to fit the bottom hose. There was a natural "cutout" already that I fit the top line in.

2) I didn't take any pics with the P. side aux radiator air shroud thing in place, but it actually still fits just against the new trans lines just fine.

3) I will probably trim the lines down a bit later. I just used the supplied hose cut in half.

4) For me in the b6, most is actually covered by the top of the bumper but there is about 1.5" exposed through the bottom grill. Not as much air flow over it as I would like but it won't really fit anywhere else. Can't go higher because the hood, can't go lower because the air temp sensor (i think that's what it is) would need relocated. Probably not too hard but I didn't want to mess with that bracket. If you moved that you could mount it so more would be showing through the bottom grill.

5) You should only lose a little bit of fluid, I clamped the hoses under the car before doing anything so the only fluid lost would be that in the radiator and the parts of the lines you're removing. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 liter.

6) Since I didn't know where to actually install it exactly, I used some old wire to tie it in place where I thought it would go and then held the bumper back up to check clearances, etc. I had to do this a few times to find a good fitment.

7) My install did not match the JHM install pics too much. Some variations:
    - I didn't need to save any cut ends of any OEM hoses
    - mine appears to be mounted much lower (they did mention the b6 needs lower mounting). I think the JHM pics are from a b7
    - they didn't mention trimming any of the vertical radiator splash shield
    - I did not trim anything off my actual radiator to get the old lines out
    - my lines were stuck on like nobody's business and did not just pop off

A "diy" would probably be like:
    1) Remove bumper and radiator. (clamp hoses first before disconnecting)
    1a) Make a note which is the line going to the top and the bottom of the radiator so you can match that to the new one. (return vs supply)

2) Remove old trans lines in the radiator. There are 3 brackets and the lines are free. They should just pop off. But mine were stuck on. I had to really get on them and get a screwdriver in there.

3) I cut the lines coming FROM the trans (still under the car) right at the metal fittings.

4) Use the 2 hose barbs and 4 hose clamps supplied to connected the new hose from the kit.

5) Run the lines to the new rad and clamp them on.

6) Mock up where the new rad will sit. See my note 6 above.

7) Trim the splash guard for the lower line. I just help the rad in place and marked it with a marker then cut out a 3/4" groove. If I was to do it again I would actually cut a hole and just a slit leading to the hole to keep a better seal.

8) Mount the new radiator with hardware if you get it or just some long zip ties. I mounted it about 1/2" above the sensor on the front of the radiator and the drivers side edge just covering the passenger side vertical section of the PS lines.

VIDEO OF MY INSTALL

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the pics and the notes!

Please PM your order number, I will get those mounting hardware shipped out!

Jake

Senior Member Four Rings TarlCabot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Full set Timing tools and JHM cheatah cable
    Items for Sale

Great job there... IMHO every Auto needs a great cooler like this, surprising how it helps the tranny to be more efficient and last longer
    2006 Audi (B7) S4 4.2L 25th Anniversary Special Edition #167, SRP Racing Pedals, 245/35 ZR 19x9.5" ET 25 MRR Catalina's with 5mm Spacers on rear, (B5) Front Spring Perches, RS4 H-Sport (Hotchkis) Rear Sway, Apikol Snub Mount, 034 Motor/Trans mounts, ECS Performance Rear Differential Mount and 034 Rear Carrier Mount Upgrade, South Bend Feramic/Kevlar Stage 2 Clutch Disk, JHM 93 octane Tune, Ported IM & Elbo, 034 MAF hose, XS 2.5" 200 cell HFC D/P's. Custom 2.5" true dual Magnaflow Race C/B

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Awesome job. Ive been trying to get mine on myself but ive had some personal things come up and running out of time before quattro de mayo at the end of the month so it looks like ill have to drop it off at a shop to get the rest of my shit installed.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Any ideas if this would work well on a B5 S4 Tip? It looks like it would install pretty much the same. If hose clamps are good enough to hold the hoses onto those barbs without leaking, I would think it should work well for a B5. Thoughts?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SnyperBob View Post
    Any ideas if this would work well on a B5 S4 Tip? It looks like it would install pretty much the same. If hose clamps are good enough to hold the hoses onto those barbs without leaking, I would think it should work well for a B5. Thoughts?
    Haven't tried it on a B5, but it is possible!