Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings devilbones's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Should I trade my B7 S4 for a 2015 TDI Jetta?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am going to be moving across the country and my commute is going from 33 miles to 55+ miles, each way. I was thinking about getting something that is diesel, auto and newer. Has anyone made the switch? My daughter will be driving this too and I am not sure if I trust her in the S4. If not I will probably get some coilovers, DPs and a new exhaust.

Established Member Two Rings blocke's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1990 BMW 325i (sold), 2006 VW GTI (sold), 2006 A4 S-line (sold), 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI

I didn't make the switch, but purchased one in addition to my S4. We have the TDI sportwagen. Averages 45 ish mpg combined, very good ride, plenty of room. You might miss the S4's v8, but I'm sure the gas commuting 55+ miles would be painful.
    Fast Intentions 12" resonated cat back, ECS Snub Mount, VMR V708's, Lamin-X on headlights, 20% tint all around and on sunroof, Dimple Oil drain magnet, Motul fluids, Relak Carbon Fiber Engine covers, JHL LTW Crank Pulley, JHM LTW rotors front & Rear, Hawk HPS pads

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '84 Ur-q, '04 S4 6MT, '08 Outback XT 5MT

It depends, based on 13K miles of commuting at today's national average fuel price here is what you are looking at:

S4 (used 20MPG) $1963.00
    TDI (Used 37MPG) $ 989.00

That also does not take into account the 10qt oil changes, bigger tires, more expensive brakes, etc. on the S4. So, yes the S4 will cost more to operate.

With all that said how much is the enjoyment of driving the S4 worth to you? My last company car was a '09 Jetta Wagon 2.5l manual. it was super reliable over 135K miles and built well but it was a total bore to drive. I replaced the Jetta with a Focus ST which is super fun to drive, gets 31MPG cruising at 80 on the highway but is built like crap and has been in for warranty work a total of 5 weeks over 22K miles and one year of ownership.

Some suspension work and a tune would go a long way in making the TDI more fun to drive.

I will say that the rumors of the Golf Wagon with 4Motion, TDI and a 6 speed manual are enticing for a replacement of the wife's '08 Outback XT 5MT when it is time.

Cheers,
    Jim

Veteran Member Four Rings moyenecorniche's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    SL & GS Skis, MTB's, Rd Bikes, oil for 4.2

Keep the S4.

In a trade in, you will get shafted, the trade in value will be many thousands less than you could sell it for privately.
    As far as your daughter ( I assume recently new driver, 16-20 ? ) NO... An S4 is not a good idea, especially when you put her friends in the mix. The temptation to have fun is too great.
    Had my Dad let me have the 600hp 67 Camaro when I was 18, I would probably not be here today. Or I am sure I would have had that conversation that starts " Uh Dad, had a little mishap with the car today .... Gulp !! "

The Jetta should be the option as the daily driver and all around family transportation. Sounds mundane but it is the wiser solution. The S4 is really a 2nd car, after 3 years with mine, I will not have an S4 as the primary Audi again once I find that 2.0 or 3.2 Avant.

As far as the commute, I have a similar commute and it is a lot of cash thrown into the tank every week, no to mention the maintenance servicing costs increase dramatically.
    Love driving the S4 on long trips, not so much as a daily driver.
    Six P"s.......Align or Wallow....... " Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance " .......
    " It's Not the Miles Per Gallon, It's the Smiles per Gallon "....Magnus Walker
    04 Red on Black S4 sedan .. 04 Atlas Grey on Black A4 Avant gone but often missed. Need Avant again.
    Want to Buy ... Red B6 / B7 Avant S4 or 1.8T / 2.0T

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 1986 Scirocco 1982 Transporter - sold 1991 BMW 850Ci- sold 1995 GTI VR6 - sold 1995 GTI 2.0

Yes.

If you want better gas mileage.

My father has a TDI wagon and loves it. It's a torquey little beast. Not as exciting at an S, but depending on your driving - it may be more practical.

AZ Member #

My brother has the Passat TDI and currently only has some suspension mods. I am already looking on the TDI forums for power enhancements. I have been trying to sell this car since Nov and only got one call. I will see what they give me for the trade in.

Established Member Three Rings SprintBlueWorld's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Chrysler T&C LE, Honda Accord

Prices on TDI's come at a premium as does the fuel. TDI should be cheaper to run but not by as much as you might expect. If your lookin for economy and reliabilty look for a clean older civic/accord. If you want some luxury mixed in go altima or maxima. Ruggedness suburu. Anything but those awful toyotas. I swear evetytime I see someone doing something boneheaded out there they're driving a toyota.
    RS4 Pedals, KN Air Filter, JHM 93 tune, JHM Intake Spacers, Stoptech Slots, SS Brake lines, JHM 6-Rib Pullys, 034 Snubby Bracket, Magnetic Drain plug, F.I. Catback, Apikol Diff Mount, 034 Carrier Mounts

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 GTI VR6T, 15 GTI

I traded my B7 S4 for a Mk. 7 GTI last August and haven't looked back. There is a ~220 mile round trip I take semi-regularly and I consistently get 40 mpg (math at the pump) on it.

Just as fun/quick as the S4 with the added bonus of being a hatch!
    Brian
    98 GTI VR6T
    15 GTI

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    I traded my B7 S4 for a Mk. 7 GTI last August and haven't looked back. There is a ~220 mile round trip I take semi-regularly and I consistently get 40 mpg (math at the pump) on it.

Just as fun/quick as the S4 with the added bonus of being a hatch!
    I am looking at the GTI too. I was all set on a TDI Golf or Jetta but when I saw the GTI in person I want. It is a 2 door 6-spd with the cloth and no sunroof and the lighting package. I am going tomorrow and may just pick it up. Thanks for the reply. Any issues with it? I didn't realize that they are all made in Mexico. My mom used to have a Beetle that was made in Mexico and everything went wrong with it.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Sales@DriveAuto's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a MkVII Golf TDI in my personal fleet. Torquey motor, ~50mpg on the highway, really spacious inside. I find diesels fun to drive - you just need to adapt your driving style. If you can afford to, I would keep the S4 as a weekend/fun car - the TDI certainly can't compete with the noise of the 4.2.
    Drive Auto Works
    SHOP PICTURE THREAD
    >> APR - Tri State Master Distributor <<
    AutoSpeed :|: EuroCharged :|: Snow Performance :|: ST Coilovers :|: KW Coilovers :|: Brembo :|: JHM :|: 034 Motorsports

============================================
    NNJ: 136 Getty Avenue, Clifton, NJ 07011 | (973) 772-2300
    CNJ: 204 Summit Rd, Mountainside, NJ 07092 | (908) 789-0212
    Email driveautoworks@gmail.com

AZ Member #

I ended up getting a MK7 GTI. I traded the S4 in with the dealer, I was really hoping that an enthusiast would have purchased. I thought I was pretty competitively priced at $15k with 103k on the ODO, all the maintenance records, etc. No takers, not even any low ballers. Oh well. Now on to the next project. I still have the Stern adjustable control arms and the front mats for sale too. Check the classifieds. Thanks for being a great community I have a strange feeling I am going to be back here soon.

Established Member Two Rings blocke's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1990 BMW 325i (sold), 2006 VW GTI (sold), 2006 A4 S-line (sold), 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI

What did the dealer give you for trade in? If you don't mind sharing
    Fast Intentions 12" resonated cat back, ECS Snub Mount, VMR V708's, Lamin-X on headlights, 20% tint all around and on sunroof, Dimple Oil drain magnet, Motul fluids, Relak Carbon Fiber Engine covers, JHL LTW Crank Pulley, JHM LTW rotors front & Rear, Hawk HPS pads

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blocke View Post
    What did the dealer give you for trade in? If you don't mind sharing
    $13890

Veteran Member Four Rings Guitarmageddon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A few buckets, a lot of microfiber towels, and 3 Pilot Sport PS2- for sale, PM me
    Items for Sale

I contemplated the same switch....how I wish there was 4-motion/TDI in the VW lineup.

Here were my possibilities

TDI Jetta
    Volvo S60 T5/AWD (not really schooled up on the quirks of this platform though) I think the '14 is the last 5 cylinder year
    Ford Fusion (most boring of the list)
    VW GLI
    2007 S4 in Phantom ▀lack Pearl....1 of 1...in the country
    JHM Piggies │ JHM Short throw shifter │ F.I. Non-resonated cat▀ack │ JHM 93 oct. │ 35/35 tints