Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

b6/b7 s4 exhaust question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey, how's it going guys, probably a dumb question here so get ready...

Anyway I'm going to finance a b6 or b7 S4 in the coming months. My brother has one and he did a muffler swap, though it still isn't very loud.

I'm familiar with running straight pipes from the cat back on the many 1.8Ts I've owned, and I know you can get away with it because the turbo creates more than enough back pressure to not lose power?

So my question is, if I were to run 2.5" straight pipes from the cats back on my 4.2 S4, would I lose power? and would I be sacrificing reliability of the car? Because it's naturally aspirated?

Thanks again in advance, I know i'm a noob with this stuff so the help is appreciated lol

Senior Member Three Rings jmcS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

2.5" exhaust piping is the best size for our 4.2's. anything larger than 2.5" and you'll loose power instead of freeing it up. i would recommend a x-pipe instead of just running separate pipes like the stock setup. you may want to through a straight through muffler on the rear depending on definition of loud. the exhaust note on these cars are extremely addictive so its a matter of time before you do piggie pipes or go with FI or milltek catless dp's

maybe Jake will chime in and confirm my statement.
    04' B6 Nogaro S4
    00' B5 A4 Avant
    04' B6 Silver S4 RIP