Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings alexza4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

a $4000 question. litterally.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, i'm going through decision around my next car which will likely be a new S5

I usually keep my cars for at least 5-6 years so want to make sure I get exactly what I want with the options I want. Here's the dilemma. a four thousand dollar dilemma.

There are some options that are not available on Premium plus that would be available on Prestige however, upgrading to Prestige and getting these additional options means additional $4k. Here's the breakdown at to what I' looking to get with the options in question highlighted in red.

Options:

-S-tronic
    -Metallic or perl effect
    -MMI Nav package
    -black optics package
    -Sport diff
    -side assist
    -B&O
    -nappa leather (multicolor)
    -carbon atlas inlays

These are not available on Premium plus even as an option, and will cost me $4k more if I switch to prestige to get these.
    -adaptive lights
    -comfort package (ventilated seats, perforated Milano leather)
    -Rear sunshade

So what you guys think, these 3 options worth additional $4k? My first though is not really, but im still deciding....

Also the only two options im not getting, are driver assist package (adaptive cruise and dynamic steering) as well as adaptive damping suspension, I never use cruise, dynamic steering don't mean much to me, and damping suspension, though sounds cool I don't think I need especially since I will likely be dropping in the H&R springs in.
    2003 A4 QM EFR 6758 on meth

Established Member Four Rings i1overice's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Loads of junk.

To me,

Those additions alone do not seem worth while. I do not like perforated leather seats because using cleaner/conditioner on them is a pain.

A rear sunshade seems useless also since no one sits back there anyway.

Adaptive lights.......ecodes?
    2010 Ibis White S5
    Avant Garde | H & R | Stop Tech | Fast Intentions | Stratosphere | RS5 Grill | LED Conversion Kit | VAGCOM Mods
    My Build Thread
    Okan509 - "sorry, but I'd be much more likely to fuck an gorgeous dude, than an ugly ass girl lulz"

Senior Member Three Rings SpinOSU's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by i1overice View Post
    ^this!!!!
    2010 S5 4.2
    2000 A6 2.8 [RIP]

Veteran Member Three Rings spyder101's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hmmmm. Go with a manual transmission and save some money there.

Senior Member Two Rings man03999's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not worth it....
    2008 Audi S5

Past:
    2004 Nissan 350z supercharged
    1999 Subaru 2.5rs
    2009 Audi S5

Senior Member Two Rings man03999's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spyder101 View Post
    +1
    2008 Audi S5

Past:
    2004 Nissan 350z supercharged
    1999 Subaru 2.5rs
    2009 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by i1overice View Post
    To me,

Those additions alone do not seem worth while. I do not like perforated leather seats because using cleaner/conditioner on them is a pain.

A rear sunshade seems useless also since no one sits back there anyway.

This
    2012 A6 ibis, 2001 996tt 550awhp, 2000 996 vert, 2008 ML550, e30 325 (restoration project almost complete)

Established Member Four Rings Sgibb16's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A5 & 2002 Passat Wagon

No way, not worth it
    2012 A5 P+ | Sports Package | 6MT

REVO Stage I | FK Silverline Coils | 35% Tint | JHM Short Throw Shifter | aFe Pro-dry S Air Filter | G-Codes

Senior Member Four Rings FaceSmA5h's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda Cr-Z
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by spyder101 View Post
    Loved my manual S5 and currently loving my manual A5.

I made a thread about this for the A5/S5 last year (regarding Prem+ and Prestige).

Prestige is really not worth it. However, that could change for the B9 A5/S5. You may need to get Prestige to get FULL LEDs.

As of right now. Don't do it
    '14 Audi A5 | Daytona Gray |Build Thread

Rest in Peace:
    '10 Audi S5 | Quartz Gray

Established Member Three Rings Ms.S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S5/SQ5/A7...we love Audis!!!

I really like the adaptive lights. I always work late so I get alot of use out of them on a daily basis.

I would not pay for the seating package though. Seat is less attractive IMO.
    S5 -- SQ5 -- A7

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

Hey thanks for the responses all, yea kinda my sentiment as well, just not worth it, now as far as adaptive lights, if I go with non adaptive option and get ecodes (my plan anyway), can I go adaptive, or won't be able to since I did not have that option?

And for manual, yea painful subject, this will be my first ever non manual car, both my current a4 and m3 are manual as well as every car I ever had before, but wife is begging for me to get an auto so she can drive as well if needed, plus once in a while I need to drive wife's x5 and it's always a problem since she won't drive any of my non-auto cars. I probably still wouldn't do it if the alternative was tiptronic, but the s-tronic is pretty damn good trans though and fast as hell, so I'm ok with it, well kinda. Or maybe I'm just old lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Tinting the rear window will be similar to the rear sunshade.
    In the garage: 2014 S5 | Brilliant Black | Black/Silver Nappa | Peelers | B&O | Side Assist | ADS | Sport Diff

Established Member Four Rings i1overice's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Loads of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by alexza4 View Post
    Hey thanks for the responses all, yea kinda my sentiment as well, just not worth it, now as far as adaptive lights, if I go with non adaptive option and get ecodes (my plan anyway), can I go adaptive, or won't be able to since I did not have that option?

And for manual, yea painful subject, this will be my first ever non manual car, both my current a4 and m3 are manual as well as every car I ever had before, but wife is begging for me to get an auto so she can drive as well if needed, plus once in a while I need to drive wife's x5 and it's always a problem since she won't drive any of my non-auto cars. I probably still wouldn't do it if the alternative was tiptronic, but the s-tronic is pretty damn good trans though and fast as hell, so I'm ok with it, well kinda. Or maybe I'm just old lol

You should opt for the manual option.
    The 4k saved can buy you a nice used corolla/civic/versa/echo beater that she can use whenever she wants to.

To my understanding, you cannot get the adaptive e-codes when you do not have an adaptive set up. Hence why they sell both adaptive and non-adaptive sets e-codes.

I think you will throw some errors and they won't actually adapt properly.
    2010 Ibis White S5
    Avant Garde | H & R | Stop Tech | Fast Intentions | Stratosphere | RS5 Grill | LED Conversion Kit | VAGCOM Mods
    My Build Thread
    Okan509 - "sorry, but I'd be much more likely to fuck an gorgeous dude, than an ugly ass girl lulz"

Established Member Four Rings Sgibb16's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A5 & 2002 Passat Wagon

No adaptive ecodes will not work unless you have that from the factory.... at least not with out swapping some parts which I don't think has been done before.

Dont give up on the manual! Teach her if she must drive it.
    2012 A5 P+ | Sports Package | 6MT

REVO Stage I | FK Silverline Coils | 35% Tint | JHM Short Throw Shifter | aFe Pro-dry S Air Filter | G-Codes

Established Member Two Rings fasteddy91's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Teach the wife how to drive stick. I'm a diehard stick shift kind of guy and sold my car for a IS350 because the wife wanted an auto. Worst mistake of my life! So she learned how to drive a stick, sold the IS350 and got an A5 now :O)
    2014 Misano red A5. S line package 6spd.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

Nah guys, not worth it. Happy wife, happy life. She does plenty for me, dealing with my crazy crap, it's only fair I do something she wants once in a while ;)))

Senior Member Four Rings FaceSmA5h's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda Cr-Z
    Items for Sale

Or maybe I'm just old lol

Old. YOYO (You Only Young Once)
    '14 Audi A5 | Daytona Gray |Build Thread

Rest in Peace:
    '10 Audi S5 | Quartz Gray

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Like you said, you're going to keep it for a while. If you got the cash, I'd do it. Go deluxe all the way. 64G's or 68G's, in the scheme of things you're spending more than 60G's for a car. What does it matter?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

maybe i am doing it wrong, but if i price out the premium plus with the options you list, i come to 61,150.

If i then select the prestige, and add the milano seats (is actually cheaper than napa) and th rear shade, I come to 63200, so only $2K above the premium plus option. The adaptive headlights are included in the prestige package, same as the MMI nav+.
    2014 S5 | Premium Plus | Estoril Blue | Black Napa Interior | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping | Side Assist | Supercharged badges
    1st Car | 1988 80 B4 | Blue
    2nd Car | 1998 A3 1.8T | Sport Green

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think mine came out to 67+. Prestige, ADS, Sport Diff, Titanium, Nappa

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '99 Saab 9-5, Volvo XC 90

I had a '09 A5 with the Prestige package. The adaptive lights were nice but not a big deal. What I do miss is the Side Assist. Although not necessary, I grew used to it and now miss it in my '13 S5 Premium Plus. One option not to avoid is the Sports Diff. This is a must!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Everyone should know how to drive a manual transmission. It boggles my mind that some people do not. Should be part of MANDATORY driver education, plus how to change a tire.
    S5 -- SQ5 -- A7

Established Member Four Rings Got No Game's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^Agree with this.
    Scott (Got No Game) | 2013 RS5 | Daytona Gray | Black | Sports Exhaust | Driver Assist | MMI+ Nav | Titanium Pack |

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

^Agree with this.
    Me too.
    But I don't consider an S5 a real sports car. It's more like a luxury sports car, and I want to drink my coffee in commute traffic. If I had a Porsche or Lotus it would be a manual

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

Everyone should drive whatever the hell it pleases them to drive, I never said my wife does not drive manual (yes she does just fine) she just hates it, but that's her choice. I however love manual trans, but if you think I do because I have nothing better to do than constantly work with my left leg and right arm, you're wrong, or maybe because it's considered cool, you're wrong again, the only reason every one of my cars have always been stick is because it gives me an ability to shift quicker then a dog slow auto/tiptronic transmission. Well at the list it used since the current tips got quite a bit better. However, a DSG (s-tronic) is no regular auto transmission and a totally different animal from a tiptronic, for the matter effect if you understand anything about cars you will know that DSG in reality is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal, well actually even two of them inside a single housing to be even more accurate. There's a reason majority of the super cars are now using this type (or similar) design of transmission. Can you beat 8ms shift time with your good ol' 6-speed? I don't think so. I wish it was available years ago I would have switched without a hesitation, I tried switching to SMG, but didn't like it, so ended up getting a 6-speed m3, though I really considered an SMG, but after driving my buddy's DSG r32 few years ago, I knew instantly my next car will not be a standard manual.
    Again maybe I'm just getting old, but maybe it's still a speed junky in me that's always looking for quicker spool, quicker shift, a way to shave off a second off that quarter mile, though I strongly doubt my new car will ever see the track, I'm done with those days.
    /rant :))

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Oh I agree with you. I have an s-tronic myself as my cab did not have the manual option, and I know it shifts faster than I ever could! Plus now I have time to fuck around with my MMI

My post was just a general mourning of the fact that so many people never even take the time to learn, and they are missing out on the opportunity to at least choose between auto and manual. If she knows and chooses not to, I have no beef that's why I said everyone should a KNOW how, not that everyone should drive manual.
    S5 -- SQ5 -- A7

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think a manual would be too taxing for the drivers in my area. How could they text, scroll through their itunes and shift? throw in a clutch pedal and we're talking accident waiting to happen.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.S4 View Post
    Oh I agree with you. I have an s-tronic myself as my cab did not have the manual option, and I know it shifts faster than I ever could! Plus now I have time to fuck around with my MMI

My post was just a general mourning of the fact that so many people never even take the time to learn, and they are missing out on the opportunity to at least choose between auto and manual. If she knows and chooses not to, I have no beef that's why I said everyone should a KNOW how, not that everyone should drive manual.
    No worries, weren't being offended or anything, and wasn't even replying specific to your post rather then in general to all who are reading and replying here, but mainly just expressing my opinion on manual vs DSG.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I'd avoid the rear sunshade, I was told (by the dealer) the equipment for the sunshade alone is over 100lbs and not worth the additional weight. I ordered the car so I'm not sure he would have any incentive to make that up, but who knows.. Tinted windows accomplished the same result.

For me another big bonus for Prestige was the availability of the two tone leather packages. In 2013 those were not available on the premium + and I wanted mine with the black leather and lunar inserts (maybe this changed in 2014?).

As others have already stated, the optional rear diff is a must on any trim.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You're getting a $60K vehicle and worrying about $4K? What about resale? Which vehicle will be more attractive when you do trade? Hell, you might decide to get an RS5 next year!
    2013 Phantom Black Pearl RS5, MMI, Titanium, DA
    PAST: 2011 Lexus IS-F
    PAST: 2010 Infiniti G37x
    PAST: 2009 Subaru Spec B

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

Hey I work hard for a living! :) if 4k is chump change to you, I give you props man. Don't really worrying about resale just on a car I don't even own yet, though I good point.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

So had a chat with the dealer today, he tells me they're stopping taking orders on MY14 within 2 months or so and will be switching to MY15 orders. Do you guys think worth it to wait! I'm thinking maybe some nice package options in MY15 still it will be a last model year for b8? On the other hand the price may go up...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I guess it depends on how long you're willing to wait. I ordered mine end of January, still waiting. Supposed to arrive mid-end of April. By the time they shut down the 14 line and take orders for 15 you may be looking at August-September for a car that isn't really changing.

Senior Member Three Rings ssv22's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    4 rings and a 3 pointed star

So had a chat with the dealer today, he tells me they're stopping taking orders on MY14 within 2 months or so and will be switching to MY15 orders. Do you guys think worth it to wait! I'm thinking maybe some nice package options in MY15 still it will be a last model year for b8? On the other hand the price may go up...

if 4k is not chump change for you, then i would wait for a 2015 if I were you. dont expect the prices to increase at all.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

Yea I'm fine with waiting, especially since black optics package are no longer a aisle on 14 models.

Senior Member Two Rings chrisbryan89's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 GSXR 600, B8 S4

Not sure if you have sat in the comfort seats but the S seats are much better IMO. I honestly think the comfort seats are a downgrade, and not all that comfortable. You may want to check them out if you haven't already before checking that box. To me the S seats are really the only thing that distinguishes an S interior

Daily: 2010 S4 - Ibis White
    Sold: 2011 A5 - Brilliant Black
    Toy: 2004 GSXR 600 - Black

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03-A4||13-X5||01-///M3

yes, you're definitely correct. I looked at the comfort seats the other day, not even close to the sport seats. Sport seats just as great as my current recarros.