Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Where to go from here? (new car; post-A5)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My apologies in advance: this is a related/unrelated Audi question...

Currently in a 2010 Audi A5. I've had zero complaints, great ride (first Audi). I have the opportunity to move on from this car (make some decent money back) and I'm considering it for various reasons.

Right now I'm looking at the IS 350 (FSport, of course) and some other rides such as the 535i, and perhaps the S4. Essentially, looking for a sedan (life happens) at this point. Performance still matters.

I don't necessarily worry about the "cost of owning" an Audi or BMW, but I feel as though an IS would offer a little more peace of mind (this is probably the more subjective/controversial approach to take).

Appreciate any advice or experience/stories anyone can share.

Cheers.

Senior Member Three Rings kevinnijjar23's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Infiniti G37 2008 Mercedes S550

Do not look at an IS350 if you still want performance they are heavy as hell and def not worth the price, but I would go with the S4 so you have the best of performance and interior.
    2015 Mercedes Benz Polar White E350 AMG package

Audi A5 2.0T (Sold)

Mod's: Flowmaster Exhaust with Muffler Delete with 3" inch piping, Magnaflow Tips, DTM Carbon Fiber Lip, C-Style Trunk spoiler, RS5 Replica grill, 2 Jl Audio's W3's with Alpine 2500 watt Amplifier, H&R 1.5 Drop, Injen Intake, TSW Nurburgrings Matte Bronze, APR Stage II, Eurocode Test Pipe, Eurocode intercooler hose, Eurocode Lightweight Pulley.

Active Member Three Rings q5 dave's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Don't bother with lexus.... Where are you on the east coast? North or south? if you have to deal with snow like us in the northeast I guess that narrows your search down to another quattro

Idk man what's your style? S4/S6/S7? The SQ5 and tuned Q5 3.0T are also great options
    2013 Q5 3.0T Phantom Black, Prem+, S-Line, sports seats, 3 spoke flat bottom steering wheel w/ paddles, ADS, MMI nav+, B&O, parking assist, 20" 5 arms, GIAC stage 1+, USP intake, H&R Sports, ECS wheel spacers, Aluminum pedals, vagcom mods, ziza yellow fogs

IG @q5ds

Established Member Three Rings namvar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products

Obvious comment. Test drive and pick the one YOU like best.

2015 RS5 Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights
    Order to Delivery: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...er-to-Delivery
    Mods: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...2#post10079352
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7. Sport pedals, LED interior lights

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have look at an RCF when I was considering my RS5. I wasn't really happy with how the interior felt and the cheapness of the exterrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Vehicle:
    2013 Audi RS5
    Daytona Grey | Ceramic Brakes | H&R Coilover | Sport Exhaust

Past Vehicle:
    2014 Audi A5 S-Line Ibis White
    2008 Audi TT V6 Ibis White
    Both will be missed greatly

Senior Member Four Rings H8H8 RS 5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi RS5, 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 2010 Bentley Continental Flying Spur, 2013 Lexus LX 570

How big of a sedan are you needing?

The IS and S4 are smaller than the 5 series. The GS and A/S6 would be in the same class as the 5 series. I'd first narrow down how much space you need in the sedan, and go from there. Don't forget about the MB C or E class.

I am a big fan of Lexus and have owned almost the entire Lexus line up in the past 17 years. Nothing but routine maintenance on all of the Lexus in the past 17 years. Great customer service and top notch reliability! Now the recent styling of the Lexus's aren't everyone's cup of tea, so that could be a decision maker for you.

That said, the German cars will be better in the performance aspect. Hard to beat the "fun" factor of daily driving a German car!

--Nate
    '14 H8H8 RS 5

H&R | XPEL | Akebono | JL Audio | Alpine | Opti-Coat Pro | ECodes | AWE Track Extreme | AG M580

Flickr | Build | IG | RS Vids

Established Member Two Rings Michaelangelo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Skip the IS350, either S4 or 335i would be more comparable. 5 series is mid size and competition would be S6, E-class MB, etc.

Any CPO vehicle or buy extended warranty separately would give peace of mind, just go for which model you like best after test drive and researching reviews. Being on an Audi forum, we'll recommend Audi. But BMW xi and MB 4-Matic are strong considerations if you leave Audi. Still, if you're happy with the brand, stay and look at S4, S6 or any "S" sedan in your price range. Even the B7 RS4 would be an option, still looks and performs great!
    Mine (3/2015): '12 Audi S4 (B8) | Glacier White/Black | Prestige | Titanium | ADS/Sports Rear Diff | Bridgestone S-04
    Wife's (4/2015): '09 Audi S5 (B8) | Deep Sea Blue/Tuscan Brown | Navigation | Technology | Bang & Olufsen | Michelin PSS
    Mods: 15% Tint | Matte Black Emblems | H&R Sways | Kicker 12" | Rockford Fosgate 1000w
    Previous: '07 A4 3.2 S-Line Avant (B7) (wife) | (2) '05 S4 (B6) | '00 A6 2.7T (C5) | '98 A6 2.8 (C5)

Senior Member Two Rings greenturbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S5, A6, Q7

agreed on all points - plus the IS350 beeps at you if you ever want to take it around a corner fast. literally. it will beep at you inecessantly until you stop doing it. even with the traction off. major major major major skip.
    2008 S5 4.2 6MT Ibis White/Black | B&O, Tech, Carbon Atlas
    2008 Q7 3.6 Premium Cobalt Blue/Platinum (Wifey's daily driver)
    2001.5 A6 2.7T Audi Racing Green/Onyx (Lots'o'mods)
    Previously
    2007 Mercedes E350 4Matic Designo Mocha/Black | P2, Tech,+ AMG 'Keys to the Cure' Edition, Huper Optik

Established Member Two Rings dseag2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've moved back and forth from Audi to Lexus for many years. My last car was a '13 GS F Sport. It handles well, has decent power and has a great interior. If you are looking for a sedan, and that is within your price range, I would take it over an IS350 or 5 Series any day.
    '15 Audi S5 Coupe, Florett Silver/Black/Carbon Atlas, Technology Package, B&O, Adaptive Suspension, Sport Diff
    '13 Infiniti G37 Convertible, Graphite Shadow/Graphite, Premium Package

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by H8H8 RS 5 View Post
    How big of a sedan are you needing?

The IS and S4 are smaller than the 5 series. The GS and A/S6 would be in the same class as the 5 series. I'd first narrow down how much space you need in the sedan, and go from there. Don't forget about the MB C or E class.

I am a big fan of Lexus and have owned almost the entire Lexus line up in the past 17 years. Nothing but routine maintenance on all of the Lexus in the past 17 years. Great customer service and top notch reliability! Now the recent styling of the Lexus's aren't everyone's cup of tea, so that could be a decision maker for you.

That said, the German cars will be better in the performance aspect. Hard to beat the "fun" factor of daily driving a German car!

--Nate
    Very good to know - few family members are currently in 250's/350's - haven't done enough cruising around myself or perhaps enough research at this point, but they all seem to share your sentiments for the brand itself.

As far as size, again, coming from a A5, anything with 4 doors is an "upgrade" in the that sense. I'd certainly consider the S4, given that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelangelo View Post
    Skip the IS350, either S4 or 335i would be more comparable. 5 series is mid size and competition would be S6, E-class MB, etc.

Any CPO vehicle or buy extended warranty separately would give peace of mind, just go for which model you like best after test drive and researching reviews. Being on an Audi forum, we'll recommend Audi. But BMW xi and MB 4-Matic are strong considerations if you leave Audi. Still, if you're happy with the brand, stay and look at S4, S6 or any "S" sedan in your price range. Even the B7 RS4 would be an option, still looks and performs great!
    This is great - thank you again.

Thank you all for the replies thus far.

I suppose I "misplaced" the 5 Series altogether. It certainly appeals, however, at a different price-point. Curious if anyone has come from BMW, or a 535 specifically, and has any thoughts, comments, or concerns?

Active Member Two Rings The Outrage's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dseag2 View Post
    I've moved back and forth from Audi to Lexus for many years. My last car was a '13 GS F Sport. It handles well, has decent power and has a great interior. If you are looking for a sedan, and that is within your price range, I would take it over an IS350 or 5 Series any day.
    I also used to own a 2013 Lexus GS 350. I think it was a fine vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnijjar23 View Post
    Do not look at an IS350 if you still want performance they are heavy as hell and def not worth the price, but I would go with the S4 so you have the best of performance and interior.
    Audi S4: 3,869 lbs.

BMW 335i RWD: 3,595 lbs.
    BMW 335i AWD: 3,720 lbs.

Lexus IS 350 RWD: 3,593 lbs.
    Lexus IS 350 AWD: 3,737 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by greenturbo View Post
    agreed on all points - plus the IS350 beeps at you if you ever want to take it around a corner fast. literally. it will beep at you inecessantly until you stop doing it. even with the traction off. major major major major skip.
    My GS 350 never beeped at me while cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by namvar View Post
    Obvious comment. Test drive and pick the one YOU like best.
    I agree, this class is rife with good choices. I think it really comes down to minute personal preferences.