Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

RS5 and my impressions after a year of driving.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Sort of a parallel to our friend in Fairbanks. I'm also in Alaska, just a bit south, in Anchorage.

Mine is a 2014, Estoril blue. Generally still love the car and when in full driver control it is a blast to drive.

But leave the transmission in auto or even Sport and at a very disconcerting frequency on part throttle acceleration, the transmission / computer cannot decide what gear it wants to be in and stumbles all over itself. Not a pleasant experience. Happens cold weather or warm and after the car is brought up to operating temperatures.

No codes shown and, unfortunately, it is not repeatable on demand.

Dealer says there are no recalls or computer updates.

Is this a one-off? Anyone else have similar issue? Suggestions?

I've owned various Audi's for almost 30 years now including a number of models from the 200 to the V10 R8. This is the first one in which I've been really disappointed. On experience to date, wouldn't recommend this to a friend.

Thanks.

Established Member Two Rings Jeff V.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

The most important question is, how does it stack up against the Touareg?

Senior Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No, that doesn't sound normal at all. Never have issues with the transmission not knowing what gear it should be in. In D it quickly goes to higher gears for comfort and fuel economy, which is great for casual driving, but if you punch it, it has to downshift 3-4 gears, so not exactly suited for spirited driving. S on the other hand is always in the right gear ready to go. I rarely use it, though. I mostly use manual mode if I really wanna drive the car and not just cruising along.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Veteran Member Four Rings chrissurfr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I don't have this transmission problem you speak of...
    2006 Ibis White Ultrasport Gone in 2009
    2009 Ibis White S5 Gone July 2013
    2014 Suzuka Grey RS5 >:)
    • Alu Optics with Black Optics grill and matte black wrapped window trim
    • AWE Track Exhaust
    • H&R Street Coilovers
    • BBS CH R - Titanium finish
    • eCode headlights
    • funky floormats

Established Member Three Rings ak_siberian's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5 AND 2008 V8 & V6 FSI Touareg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    The most important question is, how does it stack up against the Touareg?
    Don't even come close to my V8 air suspension modified Touareg, if I could only fit a DSG into it... :)

siberian
    The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

Veteran Member Four Rings ExhaustNote's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

I do not have this problem either.....then again I only time I drive in auto mode is D. Other than that, I'm in S/D manual. I never use auto S.
    Last edited by ExhaustNote; 07-31-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    __
    RS5
    Suzuka Grey Pearl
    HRE|Bilstein|Capristo

Established Member Three Rings ak_siberian's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5 AND 2008 V8 & V6 FSI Touareg

Quote Originally Posted by jadozzo View Post
    Sort of a parallel to our friend in Fairbanks. I'm also in Alaska, just a bit south, in Anchorage.

Mine is a 2014, Estoril blue. Generally still love the car and when in full driver control it is a blast to drive.

But leave the transmission in auto or even Sport and at a very disconcerting frequency on part throttle acceleration, the transmission / computer cannot decide what gear it wants to be in and stumbles all over itself. Not a pleasant experience. Happens cold weather or warm and after the car is brought up to operating temperatures.

No codes shown and, unfortunately, it is not repeatable on demand.

Dealer says there are no recalls or computer updates.

Is this a one-off? Anyone else have similar issue? Suggestions?

I've owned various Audi's for almost 30 years now including a number of models from the 200 to the V10 R8. This is the first one in which I've been really disappointed. On experience to date, wouldn't recommend this to a friend.

Thanks.
    We HAVE to have a reunion. Nasty, yourself and there must be a few others hiding in Alaska. Shame I was just there to pick it up as well as sample some awesome steaks at the Double Musky in Girdwood.

So on to more serious stuff. First off I wouldn't trust Kendall (or the previous bunch of incompetents at Morrison).

Next if you don't have one, get a VAG-COM. I haev one but 400 miles away it's not much use to you. Maybe Nasty has one.

I've never driven it in Auto so I can't really contribute on that part. What I do have, and Superswiss explained it, is in Dynamic mode using paddles when going from 6th to 5th there's a jerk and momentary lapse between shifts. Upshifts are smooth as silk and as with you it depends on the rpms and speed when this occurs.

I know your car is still under warranty, but you might want to take it to German Steel in Anchorage. Guy who runs it is called Greg and I've heard good things from the few Touaregs in Anchorage who've slammed the door at Morrison Don't know how much he knows about Audis but you might see if he can help because what you state is definitely not normal. As to what the dealer says, I'd ask my lead dog instead :)

Let me know if you ever come up North

siberian
    The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

Senior Member Three Rings Racedoc11's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Rs5 , 2008 M3 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    No, that doesn't sound normal at all. Never have issues with the transmission not knowing what gear it should be in. In D it quickly goes to higher gears for comfort and fuel economy, which is great for casual driving, but if you punch it, it has to downshift 3-4 gears, so not exactly suited for spirited driving. S on the other hand is always in the right gear ready to go. I rarely use it, though. I mostly use manual mode if I really wanna drive the car and not just cruising along.
    +1

Established Member Two Rings rasetsu's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 RS 5

I have had that gear stumble happen on three occasions when car is in D and I'm accelerating out of a turn. Feels like releasing the clutch too fast on a traditional manual and car starts bucking. I mentioned it to the dealer during the 5K service and no codes were found. They could not replicate either. Of course neither can I as it's only happened 3 times. Never happened in M mode.
    2014 RS 5 Sepang BLUE
    2011 GTI APR Stage 1+ Shadow BLUE
    2005 STi Cobb Stage 2 World Rally BLUE

Established Member Three Rings namvar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products

Quote Originally Posted by Racedoc11 View Post
    +1
    +2. But most of you have heard about my complaint and Superswiss' reasoning about the hiccup in M1.

2015 RS5 Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights
    Order to Delivery: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...er-to-Delivery
    Mods: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...2#post10079352
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7. Sport pedals, LED interior lights

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

+1 but then again it's been less than 1000 miles for me so not a lot of drive time. Hopefully not something I'll not experience but one never knows.