Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Jeff V.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

Fun with taillight coding

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Since I had a little setback with my LED tail conversion, I decided to make a few changes to my existing lights. I'm not a big fan of the big flashing brake-light-as-turn-signal, so I swapped over to the ROW style.

The ROW cars use the outer clear strip as the turn signal, while the inner clear strip is kept as a reverse light.

These bulbs...

Plus this...

and a little of this...

gives this

I also got a really good deal on a ROW light switch. Since I was playing with coding theories, I decided to enable the rear fogs.

The entire project took me about 45 minutes, and that's only because I was triple checking the coding settings as I entered them. The light switch was cake to install.
    You can pop off the drivers side fuse cover and push the switch out from the back.

I did all the coding for this myself, after spending a LOT of time reading and translating a ton of German and French forum posts. I'm a little disappointed that this information has been out there for about four years, and nobody has taken advantage of it. No matter. I'll be doing a full write-up in the near future. I've got a short road trip to take care of first.

Established Member Three Rings Nastybutler's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 C6 A6 (Wife's); 2012 Triumph Street Triple R (Phantom Black)

Awesome work! I've been wanting to get both fog lights working for some time. Will I have to add any bulbs, or is it just coding to get both sides of the fogs to light up? And what's the reason you need the ROW switch? What does it do that the NA switch doesn't?

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out, and THANK YOU for not hording this info like it's the secret of life.
    2014 A5 2.0T (Scuba Blue) | APR Stage 2 v2.0 | 8spd Tiptronic | MMI 3G+ w/Nav | Advanced Key | B&O (w/ upgraded sub) | park assist | heated memory seats & mirrors |

1/4 Mile: 13.39 @ 100.74 mph on fake 93 octane (90 + Lucas booster)

Mods can be found in my Build Thread

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

This is for your 2014? I was looking at a 2015 at the dealer and noticed it had the fog LEDs. That kind of surprised me. You should have everything you need besides the switch. The ROW switch has the separate button for the rear fogs.

In the meantime, if you've got access to VCDS, you'll want to make an adaptation map for module 46 - central convenience. It'll serve as a backup in case you need to roll back your changes.

Senior Member Three Rings Hamletcin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So no more LED Tail light project?
    '09 S5 Phantom Black color, magma red interior, RS5 grill, show & hide license plate, RS5 pedals, BB exhaust , APR Carbonio Face lift shift knob, 35% Hüper Optik ceramic wind tint, E codes, painted engine cover, full LED interior and license plate lights, HID fog lights, Vossen CV4 20x10.5 w/ Conti DWS 285/30/20, ALU Kreuz, Face lift Tail lights, H&R springs + SPC control arms.

Established Member Three Rings Nastybutler's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 C6 A6 (Wife's); 2012 Triumph Street Triple R (Phantom Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    This is for your 2014? I was looking at a 2015 at the dealer and noticed it had the fog LEDs. That kind of surprised me. You should have everything you need besides the switch. The ROW switch has the separate button for the rear fogs.

In the meantime, if you've got access to VCDS, you'll want to make an adaptation map for module 46 - central convenience. It'll serve as a backup in case you need to roll back your changes.
    My '14 has an LED rear fog, but only on one side. I have a switch with separate buttons for the front and rear fog lights already, so I don't think that's an issue either. I should just need to know what bit to change to get both sides to light up when I hit the switch.
    2014 A5 2.0T (Scuba Blue) | APR Stage 2 v2.0 | 8spd Tiptronic | MMI 3G+ w/Nav | Advanced Key | B&O (w/ upgraded sub) | park assist | heated memory seats & mirrors |

1/4 Mile: 13.39 @ 100.74 mph on fake 93 octane (90 + Lucas booster)

Mods can be found in my Build Thread

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hamletcin
    So no more LED Tail light project?
    It's on hold for now. I'm hoping to get back to it once I get back to town next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastybutler
    My '14 has an LED rear fog, but only on one side. I have a switch with separate buttons for the front and rear fog lights already, so I don't think that's an issue either. I should just need to know what bit to change to get both sides to light up when I hit the switch.
    See if you can get that adaption map for your convenience module. I specifically need channels 181 - 247. So you're saying your car already has one fog enabled, but you want to turn on the other one? Should be cake. I just want to see the channel encoding before I start making suggestions.

Active Member Two Rings slacktide's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Rear fog is only supposed to be on one side (drivers.) This is to distinguish them from brake lights. I hate driving around goofballs who run their fog lights all the time. Asked this one woman at work why she did it, she said that she just turns on every switch that has a light bulb symbol on it.
    1993 Audi 90 Quattro 5MT - Retired commuter, 240k miles. Dog Car, Snowmobile, Old-School mobile audio playground. MB Quart speakers, JL Audio subs, Alphasonik amps.
    2013 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 6MT - Daily Driver. Tame mods for convenience and looks. Craploads of Dynamat. Cardboard box full of audio stuff in trunk. Stage 2 trunk opening springs.