Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

View Poll Results: Would you still get an Audi S5?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    80 88.89%
  • NO

    10 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    Would you still get an Audi S5...

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    ... knowing that there are some issues with Audi:

    1) FSI engine ultimately having to be cleaned out bc of carbon build-up
    2) Overall, reliability of Audi in the past 10 years

    I would be planning on keeping the car for 7-10+ years. ( it would be replacing a 1990 Mercedes 300SE)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Two Rings Audi_A5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 28 2008
    AZ Member #
    28175
    Location
    Belgium

    Voted YES. I don't think there is 1 car out there that has no issues after purchase. CB tends to be a big issue to some, but I believe the car makes up for it.
    2.. Audi reliability is pretty good no? Never had any problems before, service/dealer/car
    :thumbsup: Audi
    SOLD - '09 A4 B8 Ibis White - AWE cat-back / H&R / S4 Titanium grill / Carbon Interior / 19" BBS LM F8.5 R9.5 / JD-Engineering ECU
    CURRENT - '11 Audi A1 8X Phantom Black

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings FaceSmA5h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 16 2010
    AZ Member #
    60350
    My Garage
    Honda Cr-Z
    Location
    └A
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by RadDoc View Post
    ... knowing that there are some issues with Audi:

    1) FSI engine ultimately having to be cleaned out bc of carbon build-up
    2) Overall, reliability of Audi in the past 10 years

    I would be planning on keeping the car for 7-10+ years. ( it would be replacing a 1990 Mercedes 300SE)
    Pretend your car is a pet. If you want an English Bulldog for example I know they come with a lot of back problems and a lot of trips to to the Vet. Assume the cost and time one would have to put in to maintain the vehicle. If its worth it, then you should do it. IMO, cars will always continue to look better and improve in the future. I would lease first and buy later in case you want to keep your car.
    '14 Audi A5 | Daytona Gray |Build Thread

    Rest in Peace:
    '10 Audi S5 | Quartz Gray

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 07 2009
    AZ Member #
    44660
    Location
    earth

    I think we all still did.

  5. #5
    Registered Member Four Rings GSS5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 27 2010
    AZ Member #
    54076
    Location
    Long Island, Queens, LA

    Looks and sound won me over but that novelty has worn off somewhat. Rattles, creaks, carbon buildup, clutch issues, shit paint, soft leather, lackluster performance, high school kids....way too many problems for someone as anal about my cars as me. I still love my S5 and baby it no matter what but some days I really wish I'd gotten an E92 instead. I'm never buying another Audi for a while that's for sure.
    '14 S5 3.0T 6MT / Glacier White / Black / Black Optics / H&R

    '10 S5 4.2 6MT / Brilliant Black / Black / AWE / H&R / OEM+

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings crisp74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2010
    AZ Member #
    60753
    My Garage
    school bus
    Location
    queens, ny

    Quote Originally Posted by GSS5 View Post
    "high school kids" ???
    what's that all about GS?
    btw, bmw has more than it's fair share of problems too.

    Doc, what i would tell you is that this car's gas mileage is absoultely horrendous, makes me feel like i'm driving a bugatti, with 1/10th of the performance. if you plan to keep it for a long time, that particular issue may start to wear on you. granted i've only had the car about eight months, so there is not much for me to complain about other than the mileage.
    hulk: [New wife + respray] carry the 2

    CARS:
    82 Cadillac Cimmaron: 89 Dodge Colt: 89 Geo Tracker: 90 Ford Tempo: 93 Saturn SL2: 99 Mitsubishi Diamante: 02 Pontiac Aztek: 02 Chrysler PT Cruiser: 03 Buick Lesabre: 04 Pontiac Bonneville

  7. #7
    Registered Member Four Rings GSS5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 27 2010
    AZ Member #
    54076
    Location
    Long Island, Queens, LA

    Quote Originally Posted by crisp74 View Post
    what's that all about GS?
    btw, bmw has more than it's fair share of problems too.
    lol. just one particular. you know..a real pain in the ass...

    i'd imagine BMW having problems, but none as bad as carbon buildup and a sticky clutch that Audi can't seem to do anything about...

    btw are you planning on going to the auto show in the city?
    '14 S5 3.0T 6MT / Glacier White / Black / Black Optics / H&R

    '10 S5 4.2 6MT / Brilliant Black / Black / AWE / H&R / OEM+

  8. #8
    Established Member Two Rings vidalkiss5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2009
    AZ Member #
    52512
    Location
    Miami 305, Jersey 201

    If I had the time and money to spend correcting the errors with the S5 (supposedly the problem) I'd do it. but then again, u still have to maintain relaiabilty and upkeep with any car, especially a high-end vehicle.

    gas prices is the only thing I'm concerned about right now. paid $4.49 a gal./prem. yesterday...
    2001 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t Bi-turbo. Loaded.
    2006 BMW 530i [silver]
    2006 Nissan 350z Touring [blue]
    2004 Lexus IS300 [grey]
    2001 Lexus IS300 [forest green]
    2002 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t [silver]

  9. #9
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2009
    AZ Member #
    50718
    Location
    Knoxville TN

    Was ready to pounce when the change of engine was available; looks like I will not be buying the 2012 for sure.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings Tifosi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 27 2004
    AZ Member #
    1907
    Location
    Pacific NW

    Quote Originally Posted by RadDoc View Post
    ... knowing that there are some issues with Audi:

    1) FSI engine ultimately having to be cleaned out bc of carbon build-up
    2) Overall, reliability of Audi in the past 10 years

    I would be planning on keeping the car for 7-10+ years. ( it would be replacing a 1990 Mercedes 300SE)
    Absolutely yes. Because of the following.....

    1) CB has not been a problem on the V6 Supercharged engine, which is what I have in the S5 Cabriolet.
    2) An Audi has been my daily driver since 2001. With the exception of Lexus, they are not any less reliable than any other cars within their market segment, they are especially equal to, if not better, overall reliability when compared to other European cars. With that said, just like any other eletronic-heavy cars of today, I would not plan on keeping them beyond 10 years as the repair/maintenance cost will offset their worth.
    3) IMO, as the best all-around, all-season daily driver that comes with a personality, there is nothing better than an Audi at this point in time. The other marquees are not oblivious to this which is why all of them are offering optional AWD systems within all of their lineups.

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Absolutely yes. Because of the following.....

    1) CB has not been a problem on the V6 Supercharged engine, which is what I have in the S5 Cabriolet.
    2) An Audi has been my daily driver since 2001. With the exception of Lexus, they are not any less reliable than any other cars within their market segment, they are especially equal to, if not better, overall reliability when compared to other European cars. With that said, just like any other eletronic-heavy cars of today, I would not plan on keeping them beyond 10 years as the repair/maintenance cost will offset their worth.
    3) IMO, as the best all-around, all-season daily driver that comes with a personality, there is nothing better than an Audi at this point in time. The other marquees are not oblivious to this which is why all of them are offering optional AWD systems within all of their lineups.
    I would be getting a coupe so CB would definitely be an issue but its seems like that it hasn't deterred many people. I am getting the extended warranty for 7 years 70 k miles. So that should give me some peace of mind, right?

  12. #12
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 26 2008
    AZ Member #
    36768
    Location
    SoCal

    Quote Originally Posted by GSS5 View Post

    i'd imagine BMW having problems, but none as bad as carbon buildup and a sticky clutch that Audi can't seem to do anything about...
    you haven't read up on the dct issue and oil pan issues the 08-10 e90/e92's had? not sure if they've resolved them.

    i've had a lot of little issues with this car. i'd say the biggest or recurring ones are:

    mileage
    tpms
    oil level sensor
    lurching in low gears
    mmi/ipod issues

    i hope i don't get the carbon buildup issue.

    my mechanic--who used to be an audi-dealer master mechanic--told me i should buy the extended warranty once mine expires. he said it will pay for itself 5x over. *sigh*

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    Quote Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
    you haven't read up on the dct issue and oil pan issues the 08-10 e90/e92's had? not sure if they've resolved them.

    i've had a lot of little issues with this car. i'd say the biggest or recurring ones are:

    mileage
    tpms
    oil level sensor
    lurching in low gears
    mmi/ipod issues

    i hope i don't get the carbon buildup issue.

    my mechanic--who used to be an audi-dealer master mechanic--told me i should buy the extended warranty once mine expires. he said it will pay for itself 5x over. *sigh*
    Just curious, did he say to get the 7 Year or 10 year? Also what is TPMS and do you have a manual? I having heard about gear issues in the Tiptronic.

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 07 2009
    AZ Member #
    44660
    Location
    earth

    the people that are supercharging it say it has a zf tranny. tpms is tire pressure monitoring.

    just lease one if you're nervous. this isn't a mercedes from 1990.

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Four Rings Zac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2010
    AZ Member #
    56685
    Location
    Newport Beach, Lake Arrowhead

    because of carbon?? Almost all audis get it...

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    Quote Originally Posted by torsendiffsrock View Post
    the people that are supercharging it say it has a zf tranny. tpms is tire pressure monitoring.

    just lease one if you're nervous. this isn't a mercedes from 1990.
    Haha... your right the merc isn't as technically advanced as the S5. Having this car for over 22 years though I think that it maybe more reliable and definitely heavier.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Three Rings Captain Freez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06 2010
    AZ Member #
    63733
    My Garage
    Daytona Gray 2013 RS5. Loaded.
    Location
    Montréal Baby!

    I've had way more problems with my BMW's than with my current S4. I think Audi has gotten better with reliability.
    2013 Audi RS5
    2010 BMW X3
    2010 Audi S4 - Sold
    2006 BMW X3 - Sold
    2003 Subaru WRX R1 - Sold
    2001 Subaru WRX - Sold
    1998 BMW M Roadster - Sold
    1997 Honda Prelude - Sold
    1996 Acura Integra - Sold

  18. #18
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 31 2010
    AZ Member #
    68896
    Location
    Kuwait

    I got the car knowing these problems, so i'd say yes. its just a unique beast out there on the street. while the M3 looks so ordinary to me

  19. #19
    Established Member Two Rings PGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    61878
    My Garage
    B5 S4 Avant, 2007 328i, 1972 Volvo 1800E
    Location
    PA

    FWIW...I've had an e46 and an e90 and they are MUCH more reliable than both of my Audis.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Three Rings toothysaw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 05 2008
    AZ Member #
    29567
    My Garage
    '10 S5 6mt
    Location
    Austin, TX

    i say yes, but with the same points as the others. although i've managed 18+mpg, it's still not exactly a prius, but if they had done the gears differently to get better mileage it wouldn't be as fun to drive.
    compared to my 2006 A4 i would say the quality and durability of the interior are rather poor, but still way above average. the only other reason i might reconsider is because having a nice car as a daily driver is a pain to worry about dings, scratches, etc. that would go for any expensive car though.

    in the end it's a beautiful car that stands out, and it's a blast to drive. lots of similarly priced cars will outperform it, but nothing else is even close to as good looking.
    2010 S5: Sprint Blue, 6MT, Premium Plus
    mods: 35% pinnacle tint, hoen xenonmatch fog, hoen license plate lights, rs4 pedals, vag-com, black-out grille and rear valence

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Four Rings toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16 2005
    AZ Member #
    7978
    My Garage
    Gone:A4 USP+ / A4 S-Line+
    Location
    long island, ny

    Owning my second audi now, I can safely say that the reliability issues have really been a moot point during my ownership. In the last ten years, audi has done a tremendous amount to improve reliability. On my b7 I have had virtually NO problems at all, just the coilpack issue covered under warranty including a free tow, in over 50,000 miles.

    Quote Originally Posted by toothysaw2 View Post
    compared to my 2006 A4 i would say the quality and durability of the interior are rather poor, but still way above average. the only other reason i might reconsider is because having a nice car as a daily driver is a pain to worry about dings, scratches, etc. that would go for any expensive car though. lots of similarly priced cars will outperform it, but nothing else is even close to as good looking.
    i was extremely disappointed with the loss of uniform tactile feel from all interior buttons like the previous b6/b7 interior. Really disappointing what audi did with this aspect of the b8 interiors. But, as an audiophile, i feel that the new stereos, (even non-b&o,) more than make up for this shortcoming. Also, I am a little surprised that audi ditched older recaro seats for the newer options in the s4/s5, which seem to be less supportive to me.

    I absolutely agree that the fiver coupes are some of the nicest looking cars on the road by far...at any price.

    Quote Originally Posted by vidalkiss5 View Post
    gas prices is the only thing I'm concerned about right now. paid $4.49 a gal./prem. yesterday...
    Pshh...you lucky bastard!

  22. #22
    Registered Member Four Rings green a6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 10 2010
    AZ Member #
    53192
    My Garage
    B6 Passat
    Location
    Nassau County

    yes
    Drive low, park lower

  23. #23
    Veteran Member Four Rings ExhaustNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16 2006
    AZ Member #
    11517
    My Garage
    RS5
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    i was extremely disappointed with the loss of uniform tactile feel from all interior buttons like the previous b6/b7 interior. Really disappointing what audi did with this aspect of the b8 interiors. But, as an audiophile, i feel that the new stereos, (even non-b&o,) more than make up for this shortcoming. Also, I am a little surprised that audi ditched older recaro seats for the newer options in the s4/s5, which seem to be less supportive to me.
    I could not agree with this more. The interior on the B8's look better but the plastic quality is definitely cheaper than my old B6.
    I also agree that the S4 seats on my old car felt more supportive than the B8 and the leather seemed to hold up better as well. One of the biggest surprises for me, however, was how the 2g MMI was inferior to the RNS-E in many ways.
    __
    RS5
    Suzuka Grey Pearl
    HRE|Bilstein|Capristo

  24. #24
    Senior Member Three Rings toothysaw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 05 2008
    AZ Member #
    29567
    My Garage
    '10 S5 6mt
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    But, as an audiophile, i feel that the new stereos, (even non-b&o,) more than make up for this shortcoming.
    interesting, i actually think the non-b&o stereo is a huge step down. my a4 had audi symphony II or whatever the base stereo was, and it was really decent. since it was so good i decided not to do the b&o on the S5, and that's probably my biggest (only) regret.
    2010 S5: Sprint Blue, 6MT, Premium Plus
    mods: 35% pinnacle tint, hoen xenonmatch fog, hoen license plate lights, rs4 pedals, vag-com, black-out grille and rear valence

  25. #25
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    for those of you that said yes, did you guys install a catch can Day 1?

  26. #26
    Senior Member Two Rings jcmiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 13 2010
    AZ Member #
    61390
    My Garage
    2010 LC200, 2011 S5 Sportback, 2011 Cayenne Turbo
    Location
    Lima, Peru- Stgo, Chile

    Lol if it came with the new 3.0t engine ;-)

  27. #27
    Senior Member Three Rings elf_cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    55338
    My Garage
    GT-R, F350, rockwell cruiser buggy
    Location
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by RadDoc View Post
    for those of you that said yes, did you guys install a catch can Day 1?
    No, I just disconnected the whole stupid PCV system... 18k miles and still running like a raped date...

  28. #28
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    Quote Originally Posted by elf_cruiser View Post
    No, I just disconnected the whole stupid PCV system... 18k miles and still running like a raped date...
    Hey elf_cruiser, I am a novice mechanic and not sure really what the PCV is and how to do that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

  29. #29
    Veteran Member Four Rings BlkS5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 20 2009
    AZ Member #
    50971
    My Garage
    2010 MB Blk/Blk E350 Sport
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Items for Sale

    I did. When my S5 got totaled I went right out and bought another.
    2007 A6 , Blk/Blk/Sport - Traded for S5
    2009 S5 6M , Phantom Black/Tuscan Brn/Loaded - Totaled
    2009 S5 6Tip , Phantom Black/Blk/Loaded SOLD - 30* tint/KW ADS Coil Overs, Überlegenes Stabilisatoren System/RS5 instrument trim/ClearBra/BB Sport Exhaust/AWE S-filter/Hoen zenon/Blk Ops Grill & Valence/LoJacked/trunk panel net/led's & 42 Catch Can

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2011
    AZ Member #
    73798
    Location
    Memphis

    Quote Originally Posted by RadDoc View Post
    Hey elf_cruiser, I am a novice mechanic and not sure really what the PCV is and how to do that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    was reading about it... may not be the safest option

  31. #31
    Senior Member Three Rings elf_cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    55338
    My Garage
    GT-R, F350, rockwell cruiser buggy
    Location
    Phoenix

    Yah I did a write-up a while back, search and you should find it. Not sure if anyone else has tried it or not...

  32. #32
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Oct 23 2012
    AZ Member #
    102779
    Location
    Reno, NV

    This is an old post but I would like to share my experience...

    Here are the issues I run into in my S5 with 65k miles:
    - Carbon built up at intake valves which is a known issue
    - Cylinder 8 injector failed at around 60k miles. This is due to injectors being located in the combustion chamber and known to be a common issue.
    - Exhaust valve spring failure at 65k miles causing engine removal and cylinder head repair and rebuilt. This cannot be common but per AoA it is normal since the life expectance is 100k miles???.

    I would not recommend this car to anyone, if you do like to style and the looks, make sure you have extended warranty. The last repair was over $4k.

  33. #33
    Veteran Member Four Rings mxrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02 2005
    AZ Member #
    7821
    Location
    People's Republic of Kanada

    I would not recommend your car to anyone either.

    :: The Five! :: http://instagram.com/ur_mxrz :: RAYS/Volk Racing | D2 Forged | AP Racing | KW | APR | Eurocode | Rawtek ::

  34. #34
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2008
    AZ Member #
    25640
    Location
    USA

    FYI
    If anyone doesn't think other manufacturers have carbon build up problems, then you haven't done your research. All direct injection engines will have carbon deposits and no amount of fuel additives will keep that from happening because the fuel doesn't flow over the valves, even BMWs.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581084

    http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorhea...-injection-101
    Direct fuel injection, also known as GDI in gasoline engines, is a system where fuel is sprayed under high pressure directly into the combustion chamber of each cylinder. GDI is new technology that maximizes power and fuel economy allowing a smaller, lighter engine to provide the same or better performance as larger ones.

    WHICH VEHICLES HAVE IT

    Last December Ward's Automotive published their "Ten Best Engines" list for 2012. Seven of those engines have gasoline direct fuel injection. These engines ranged from 3.0 to 1.6 liter and were made by Audi, BMW (2), Ford, Buick, Hyundai, and Mazda. Other automakers including Volkswagen, Mercedes, Porsche, General Motors, Ferrari, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, and Renault also offer direct injection, so it is widely available. GDI is often used with a turbocharger or supercharger for fuel economy gains of 10% or more. One fuel injector manufacturer projects that by 2015, 25% of all new vehicles in North America will be direct injection.
    Then for some icing on the cake of why you don't want a BMW 435 you want the S5:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
    ...If the S5 didn’t exist, the 435i would feel great. BMW’s problem is that the S5 does exist....
    ...Now in its seventh model year, the S5 casts a harsh light on the BMW’s dynamic gaps. Where the BMW is aloof and isolated, the S5 feels alive and vivid. There’s more sound and more sensation in the Audi driver’s chair than there is in the BMW’s. Its suspension filters out less of the road surface without being harsh. The heavier brake pedal offers a more consistent, natural feel. Its steering reacts more quickly, with a degree of feedback that’s absent in the BMW. At all times, the S5 feels like a car, not a simulation....
    ...the Audi pummeled the 4-series in every performance test, launching harder, turning sharper, and stopping shorter....
    2008 A4 B7 3.2 Quattro 6MT, S-Line, Titanium, Ocean Blue Pearl, Prem BOSE, Cold, Conv, Volterra Leather, BT, iPod

    2008 A6 Avant 3.2 Quattro 6AT, S-Line, Night Blue Pearl, Prem, Nav, Milano Leather, Cold, iPod

    2010 S5 Prem+ 6MT, Brilliant Red, Black/Platinum, B&O, Nav, Sport Rear Diff, Mods...

  35. #35
    Senior Member Two Rings kidentist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 28 2012
    AZ Member #
    97662
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Items for Sale

    Most of my trips to the dealer/auto shops in the last 2 years have either been maintenance or "mods"……just saying!
    You can't make everyone happy.....but you sure can try!!

  36. #36
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 08 2013
    AZ Member #
    109136
    My Garage
    2008 BMW 335i Coupe, 2004 Acura TSX
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by GSS5 View Post
    Looks and sound won me over but that novelty has worn off somewhat. Rattles, creaks, carbon buildup, clutch issues, shit paint, soft leather, lackluster performance, high school kids....way too many problems for someone as anal about my cars as me. I still love my S5 and baby it no matter what but some days I really wish I'd gotten an E92 instead. I'm never buying another Audi for a while that's for sure.
    I own both E92 335i & S5 with 3.0TFSI, I am so regret getting the S5 since I own the S5, I hate my beloved 335 more & more everyday! I did have CEL on my S5 the 2nd day, after that fixed, no problem so far for the year. On my first year on my 335, I have 3 limp mode & 4 CEL (replace HPFP twice) and not to mention those minor electronic glitches. What I really care is how the S5 drive 100000x better than the rattle tin can 335i.

    NB: I have carbon build up on my 335 too after 80k km & bimmer MT is known to be notchy, I already get used to it but still feel annoying every time driving it. OTH, Audi MT is as smooth as Honda MT.
    2013 PHT BLK/MG RED S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, hid fog & H&R Coil, RS5 grill & Ecode
    2008 M Blue E92 335i Coupe 6MT sport package with Navi, Mtech steering + ssk, Lip spoiler, KW V2, 19" Work T1S Varianza, hid fog, JB4 tune, BMS intake
    2004 P White Acura TSX 6MT with Mugen front + grill, A-spec side + rear kit, Lip spoiler, Rotora BBK, 18" Volk TE-37, Tein coil, Hondata refresh, Comptech intake + header + ssk & UR pulley

  37. #37
    Senior Member Four Rings GlazierGlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 11 2012
    AZ Member #
    103833
    My Garage
    OEM Parts
    Location
    Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by KARAKAS View Post
    This is an old post but I would like to share my experience...

    Here are the issues I run into in my S5 with 65k miles:
    - Carbon built up at intake valves which is a known issue
    - Cylinder 8 injector failed at around 60k miles. This is due to injectors being located in the combustion chamber and known to be a common issue.
    - Exhaust valve spring failure at 65k miles causing engine removal and cylinder head repair and rebuilt. This cannot be common but per AoA it is normal since the life expectance is 100k miles???.

    I would not recommend this car to anyone, if you do like to style and the looks, make sure you have extended warranty. The last repair was over $4k.
    I don't feel bad for anyone who didn't research the known issues with the car, let alone get the proper warranty when in high mileage.

    I bought mine used and fucking love every second of owning it.
    2010 S5 Premium Plus - Phantom Black Pearl
    CPO | B&O | BLACK OPTICS | NAV/TECH | FORMULAONE | DEVAL | AVANT GARDE | H&R | AWE | ECODE | VAGCOM | 034

    Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram

  38. #38
    Veteran Member Four Rings Tifosi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 27 2004
    AZ Member #
    1907
    Location
    Pacific NW

    Quote Originally Posted by KARAKAS View Post
    This is an old post but I would like to share my experience...

    Here are the issues I run into in my S5 with 65k miles:
    - Carbon built up at intake valves which is a known issue
    - Cylinder 8 injector failed at around 60k miles. This is due to injectors being located in the combustion chamber and known to be a common issue.
    - Exhaust valve spring failure at 65k miles causing engine removal and cylinder head repair and rebuilt. This cannot be common but per AoA it is normal since the life expectance is 100k miles???.

    I would not recommend this car to anyone, if you do like to style and the looks, make sure you have extended warranty. The last repair was over $4k.
    You are obviously on a crusade against the S5, and perhaps, even AoA, which you are completely entitled to do so.

    However, just in case you don't know, carbon build up is a hereditary issue shared by ALL DIRECT INJECTION ENGINES and more so with NA engines. We are all left to chance when buying a new car, and you are even more at risk when it comes to used/CPO cars since there are even more variables involved.

  39. #39
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Oct 23 2012
    AZ Member #
    102779
    Location
    Reno, NV

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    You are obviously on a crusade against the S5, and perhaps, even AoA, which you are completely entitled to do so.

    However, just in case you don't know, carbon build up is a hereditary issue shared by ALL DIRECT INJECTION ENGINES and more so with NA engines. We are all left to chance when buying a new car, and you are even more at risk when it comes to used/CPO cars since there are even more variables involved.
    I am upset with the valve spring failure, because this is a component designed to last over 100k miles easy. I love Audis and I have owned many, but I feel there seems to be a lack of quality at newer models. My experience tells me reliability does not seem to be Audi's focus lately.
    Below is my 1990 Audi 90 Quattro with 185k miles on it, it still drives strong and has factory installed valve springs.

    Regarding carbon built up, I agree with you, I think we all accept that fact. I knew this issue prior to purchasing my vehicle, but valve spring failure at 65k miles just didn't make sense...


  40. #40
    Veteran Member Four Rings Tifosi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 27 2004
    AZ Member #
    1907
    Location
    Pacific NW

    Quote Originally Posted by KARAKAS View Post
    I am upset with the valve spring failure, because this is a component designed to last over 100k miles easy. I love Audis and I have owned many, but I feel there seems to be a lack of quality at newer models. My experience tells me reliability does not seem to be Audi's focus lately.
    Below is my 1990 Audi 90 Quattro with 185k miles on it, it still drives strong and has factory installed valve springs.

    Regarding carbon built up, I agree with you, I think we all accept that fact. I knew this issue prior to purchasing my vehicle, but valve spring failure at 65k miles just didn't make sense...
    Sounds like you also understands that valve spring failure is uncommon and is more of an exception than norm in this case. While I understands your frustration but to torpedo the complete S5 line because of this is a little over the top. With that said, and I have stated this before, It has to be a really special car for me to own any European car without an extended warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.