Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Rommulus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 1.8TQM

POP!!! Goes the Door Handle Cable

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The cable (Bowden Cable?) for my drivers door handle has snapped. As a result I have to roll the window down and reach outside to let myself out of the car. I'm looking for the part # for the cable and whether replacing it is an easy DIY. Searching did not turn up any results for replacing the broken cable, so any info from others who have had this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings Molotov's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 USP 1.8TQM Avant
    Items for Sale

Re: POP!!! Goes the Door Handle Cable

off Vag cat 8H0837085B bowden cable is correct
    Getting to the cable isn't hard, and from the picture doesn't look too hard to replace. Check the part # against genuinevwaudiparts.com to see if it's correct

- Scott

Das Build Thread

Performance parts for sale:
    PTE 6262 V-Band - 42DD Stealth Catch Can - MagnaFlow Race Muffler - Vibrant 4" Filter - MAF 4" Housing

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V, 1989 BMW 325iS

Its pretty straight forward. Take of the doorcard and you will see it. Fairly simple DIY
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 1.8TQM

Thanks Molotov! That part # looks to be correct. +rep for you, sir!
    I've taken off the door panel and can see where the cable snapped. The door latch mechanism that the cable connects to is partially behind the interior metal door skin and doesn't look to be easily accessible without removing the skin. I'm hoping this is not the case...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I think you can stick you hand back there. Unless you dont have small hands. In that case, higher the neighbor girl, she doesnt have school today.
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 1.8TQM

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDub View Post
    Its pretty straight forward. Take of the doorcard and you will see it. Fairly simple DIY
    Have you done the DIY? Do I have to remove the metal door skin to make the connection to the latch?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Check this link. It is for the window regulator DIY, but it shows you how to take off the door panel.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ndow+regulator

Veteran Member Three Rings forevraudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T

taking the door panel off is easy and you'll see that it is simple overall once you are looking at it, so don't worry its an easy fix
    Koni | Podi | RS4 | Magnaflow | Alpine | Kenwood
    Low and slow

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rommulus View Post
    Have you done the DIY? Do I have to remove the metal door skin to make the connection to the latch?
    No I have not done the DIY. But I have taken the Doorcard off plenty of times and its really not that complicated back there. If you popped off the doorcard you can probably figure it out fairly quickly.
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 1.8TQM

Thanks all! I got the part ordered and the doorcard off. Hopefully the install goes smoothly. I'll update once it's been done.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

8e0837085c

Is now the part number for this
    2003 Audi A4Q 1.8T Sport - Black on Black 5speed

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

We have them available below!

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason

Veteran Member Three Rings cjonesgo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 Avant 1.8t qm, '74 Vespa

I did mine last spring. Simple DIY. Everything is accessible once you remove the door card.
    [CENTER]02 A4 Avant 1.8tqm Dolphin Gray
    Blackout Grills | S4 Bi-Xenons | 3.0 Brakes | RS4 Rear Swaybar | Bilstein Sport Shocks
    K04 | REVO | TT225 Injectors | Apikol SMIC | 034 HFC |

AZ Member #

How does the cable release from the door latch mech, not the door handle?

Veteran Member Four Rings Elliott's Avatar
    AZ Member #

OP is still doing the install.... 3.5 years later.

Established Member Two Rings crowncitycorey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I am curious to how this works out, as I have the same issue.

I've removed the door panel; however my door has been covered in Dynamat, so I really cannot see what work needs to be done. I hate to just start pulling Dynamat without some plan/idea of the action course.

Has any one completed this job that is willing to talk about it?
    '03 A4 1.8t 5spd FWD - Sport Package - Revo Stage II - Audi TT Injectors - ATP 3" Testpipe - GReddy Global Sport G2S Cat-Back Exhaust System - Forge 007p DV - Podi w/VEI Boost Gauge - Debadged - M3 Lip Spoiler - K & N Filtercharger

AZ Member #

Anyone?..................
    '03 A4 1.8t 5spd FWD - Sport Package - Revo Stage II - Audi TT Injectors - ATP 3" Testpipe - GReddy Global Sport G2S Cat-Back Exhaust System - Forge 007p DV - Podi w/VEI Boost Gauge - Debadged - M3 Lip Spoiler - K & N Filtercharger

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It unhooks on one end and pops out of a cradle on another. It is pretty straight forward. You just need to pull back the dynamat.
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #

Pulled back the Dynamat and the cable does pop in/out; however to detach/attach it to the door lock mechanism, it appears that I must remove the mechanism from the actual door (am I wrong?). There are two bolts holding it marked "ESKA 8.8" and my Torx wont work on it. I think it is a 12pt or Spline bolt.

Two questions, is it a must that I remove the lock mechanism? and if so, which is it - 12pt or Spline?

Read somewhere it was an M8 size, which I think is 12pt, but I'm not sure.

Still stuck...

AZ Member #

You dont have to remove anything other than the cable. Sorry didn't update the thread. You have to get a flat head screwdriver and lift the cable out of the mechanism. It only comes out in one way, so you may have to rotate the cable to make it line up.

AZ Member #

My cable snapped within a couple inches of the door mech. No way to get in the door to rotate and such. Oh well. Ordered some 12pt tools to get the lock mech. out so I can access the connection point.

AZ Member #

I had to remove those two 12pt screws and move the lock mechanism to access the cable connection point. Broken piece removed and new cable installed. It really is a simple job if you have all the tools and no Dyanamat!

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm about to do mine. It's bent, the plastic is broken, and it's not unlocking the door from the inside. Before it got this bad, I could still open the door from the inside but the handle was loose/floppy, rattled on bumps, and didn't retract all the way. The spring mechanism within the handle itself still works, and if I unhook the cable from the door handle, it retracts and stays put - just not when everything is attached how its supposed to be. Maybe the cable is streched?

For those of you who successfully replaced the cable, how is the door handle play? Does it stay put within the door or rattle/hang loosely?

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Done!

I did it with a wire coat hanger. I cut the existing cable in half at the middle, trimmed it to length, and fit a coat hanger in between by bending the ends into hooks. Works perfectly. It took me a few adjustments to get the door handle to return to its original position

Veteran Member Four Rings coowhip's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi View Post
    We have them available below!

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
    FYI this cable is about 8 inches too long Jason. Mine is a white cable and a ton shorter. Now its broken trying to remove it and I have this piece of crap that won't come close to being tight.

EDIT: Well dang it if I didn't order the wrong cable. Now I need an interior door handle cable. Didn't even see it when I ordered the other one. This sucks...
    And the installation is not easy at all. Very very tight space to do anything and no way people are getting their fingers back there.
    Last edited by coowhip; 02-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    RAI Test pipe / TT DP / S4 rear sway / Motoza stage 1 / SAI delete / IE Blockoff plate / S4 Front Recaros / B7 Center Console
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27286038@N03/

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coowhip View Post
    FYI this cable is about 8 inches too long Jason. Mine is a white cable and a ton shorter. Now its broken trying to remove it and I have this piece of crap that won't come close to being tight.

EDIT: Well dang it if I didn't order the wrong cable. Now I need an interior door handle cable. Didn't even see it when I ordered the other one. This sucks...
    And the installation is not easy at all. Very very tight space to do anything and no way people are getting their fingers back there.
    The part I linked is directly from the parts diagram for interior door handle.

Jason

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

This is the one I actually needed...It's for the interior door handle. That Bowd cable is way too long for interior door.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...able/ES438292/
    RAI Test pipe / TT DP / S4 rear sway / Motoza stage 1 / SAI delete / IE Blockoff plate / S4 Front Recaros / B7 Center Console

AZ Member #

This is the one I actually needed...It's for the interior door handle. That Bowd cable is way too long for interior door.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...able/ES438292/
    Apparently the one that I posted is for a cabrio. Looks like my parts guy messed up and gave me the wrong part number.

Jason

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Sent you a pm.

AZ Member #

Sent you a pm.
    PM replied.

Jason