Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Anyone know anything about fixing garage doors?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    This morning my garage door would not open so I could get out and I realized that the two springs that are on the rail that spool the garage door up are snapped, and then also the two wires that attach the garage door to the rail also came off...Its way too heavy to lift by myself so my car is currently trapped, and I've been trying to fix it all morning, but it looks like those springs definitely need to be replaced, Is this something I can do by myself or is it super sketchy and something that will totally blow up in my face?

Thanks

Martin
    For Sale: Clutchmaster's LWFW, stock DMFW, s4 instrument cluster, 2.0t block. PM me if interested.
    Garage: GTX28 slowpoke
    "fully built motor and stock turbo is like a nun getting a boob job, why bother no ones gonna know it" - Jsandor91

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650

Quote Originally Posted by mec View Post
    This morning my garage door would not open so I could get out and I realized that the two springs that are on the rail that spool the garage door up are snapped, and then also the two wires that attach the garage door to the rail also came off...Its way too heavy to lift by myself so my car is currently trapped, and I've been trying to fix it all morning, but it looks like those springs definitely need to be replaced, Is this something I can do by myself or is it super sketchy and something that will totally blow up in my face?

Thanks

Martin
    Dude, I told you that one of those Springs was snapped last time I was there a couple months ago. They are super shady. The springs themselves are pretty damn expensive, ~$80 or more each. I would pay a garage door tech to do it. You physically have to wins up the springs, which could leave you decapitated if anything were to go wrong. You are looking at easily ~$300 minimum to fix probably.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    05.5 A4 2.0T 6spd, REVO Stage 2+, stage 1 HPFPupgrade, Vast Stage 3 clutch, VMR test pipe, custom non-res 2.5" turbo back Techtonics exhaust, Borla mufflers, wastegate adjustment, TR6 FMIC, custom CAI, 034 catch can, snub, and MM, BKR7E, 145 bar prv, DW300 LPFP, evap canister delete, JHM SS, KW V1's, 19" V710's, ABT drilled/slotted rotors, Akebono pads, Podi boost gauge, 640 Mod, 20% tint, baby seat.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    Dude, I told you that one of those Springs was snapped last time I was there a couple months ago. They are super shady. The springs themselves are pretty damn expensive, ~$80 or more each. I would pay a garage door tech to do it. You physically have to wins up the springs, which could leave you decapitated if anything were to go wrong. You are looking at easily ~$300 to fix probably.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    yeah I know....I asked my engineer roommate who apparently doesn't know anything. He said yeah thats normal, I was like but half of it is broken? How is that normal? and he wasn't worried so I dropped it, the door kept working, then I found out both springs are busted and the door isn't going anywhere. I think I'll let the landlord handle it, too bad he hasn't been answering my calls....

But I agree it does seem like a very easy way to go blind.
    For Sale: Clutchmaster's LWFW, stock DMFW, s4 instrument cluster, 2.0t block. PM me if interested.
    "fully built motor and stock turbo is like a nun getting a boob job, why bother no ones gonna know it" - Jsandor91

Established Member Three Rings allroadinvail's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi Allroad,1987 Jeep Wrangler, bikes and tools!

I know someone. But you're not gonna like who it is... (You know him as well)

Sent from the drivers seat while traveling at a high rate of speed!
    I don't know tankdeer but his quotes are awesome.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by allroadinvail View Post
    I know someone. But you're not gonna like who it is... (You know him as well)

Tj? He's not my biggest fan

Senior Member Three Rings Mcstiff's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would not bother if it's a rental (landlord's responsable). What kind of door do you have that 2 adult men can't lift? Did you unlatch the opener?

I did garage doors for a summer in college; I never wound the springs. Might do mine in the next month or so (lifting the door alone adds a level of inefficiency to parking)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Yeah I'm waiting on the landlord. That was my issue this morning though, everyone had left to go skiing, and so I woke up late, wanted to go to a meet, and no one was around to help lift the door...honestly I was so surprised how heavy it is without any support. I'm pretty sure its alumnium but weighs probably a solid 200 lbs.

Senior Member Three Rings Mcstiff's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah, they get pretty heavy without springs. The old wooden ones were a bear, as a nice insulated one would be.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Tj? He's not my biggest fan
    You hit that nail on the head!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

You hit that nail on the head!

I would honestly call him, I'm not the type of person to hold a grudge and then use someone elses account to throw out backhanded remarks ;) But I am gonna wait for my landlord to handle it,I'm hoping he will be back monday, in the mean time I'll use the second garage door.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

well that and he would be totally sassy and unhappy the whole time he was here so might as well avoid a-whole-nother issue!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah he probably wouldn't help anyway... I know he has rubbed some people the wrong way but getting to know him over the past year he is an alright guy. ( I'll probably get flamed for saying that). Back to your subject, it can't be that hard to fix. Tell your landlord to get that shit fixed immediately! You need your car to get to work/school...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

FLAMED!

lol once my roommates got home we were able to lift the door and I got out, I was just shocked, never thought a garage door could weigh that much, but then again i've never attempted to move one without the counterweights, makes a huge difference.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Harsh bro!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Harsh bro!

:) saw the allroad is all put together, nice work that was fast

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Jeep WK2 Overland

I replaced two springs a month ago. Just watched YouTube clips and it was simple. Sourced springs from Menards and then the two bars that you use to wine the springs. If you can follow directions, it's easy haha. (I too had my car trapped and a two car garage door is heavy as f*ck so we both learned haha) I think springs were like 90$ total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings metallicrock988's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I work for Efficiency Garage Door Services. I'll help you out. I can do springs for 210-225 usually. Through my company. Hit me up and maybe we can work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

1997 Audi A4 1.8t 5-Speed (bamboo metallic): Sport Edition 17x7.5 Et35, 215/45/17 Kumho AST, Panzer, CC mod s4 lights, Magnaflow 14815, Res delete, JHM Vent Boost gauge, Facelift Taillights
    2001.5 Audi S4 2.7tt 6-Speed (Imola Yellow): ST Coils, Panzer, Depo Ecodes, 55w 5k bulbs, 3->2.5 DPS, Twin1, 225/45 Kumho AST, Revo Stage 2
    <<Flickr>>

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just to add to the thread. If this happens to anyone in the future and you have a garage door opener, you can have the opener assist you in lifting up the door. The opener won't be able to open the door itself , but with you giving a lot of help you should be able to open the door. Had to do this a few years ago. It was better then being trapped.
    2012 Ibis White A4 P+ | Sport Package| 30% Tint | Rieger Replica

Senior Member Four Rings CorneliusRox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003CBR600rr, 1997 12VCummins4X4

I would honestly call him, I'm not the type of person to hold a grudge and then use someone elses account to throw out backhanded remarks ;) But I am gonna wait for my landlord to handle it,I'm hoping he will be back monday, in the mean time I'll use the second garage door.
    I'm 100% sure he would have had no problem writing the comment on his account if he was able to keep one on this forum. You bringing it up when you know he can't read it/write back is just as bad as him writing it IMO.

But yeah, I was going to suggest giving TJ a call as well. Or going to home depot, buying some rod, new springs, and doing it yourself. It
    s not fun, and make sure you do the same amount of turns on both sides or the door will push to one side and eventually come off of it's tracks.
    Last edited by CorneliusRox; Yesterday at 08:59 PM.

Corey - BSME

08 A4 6MT, Quattro, VAST Stg1, JOM C/O's, 034 RSB, BFI Snub - 24.75" FTG, 255/35-18 V12's
    359awhp/K03

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
    I'm 100% sure he would have had no problem writing the comment on his account if he was able to keep on on this forum. You bringing it up when you know he can't read it/write back is just as bad as him writing it IMO.

But yeah, I was going to suggest giving TJ a call as well. Or going to home depot, buying some rod, new springs, and doing it yourself. It
    s not fun, and make sure you do the same amount of turns on both sides or the door will push to one side and eventually come off of it's tracks.
    My point being that if you are banned from AZ its for good reason, TJ was banned and instead of accepting it he has to use other people's accounts to make sassy remarks...just accept the consequences of your actions, shouldn't be a hard concept to understand when you are in your 30's. And on a second note if he really still has an issue with me, then why not just confront me about it? Why be a teenage girl about it and cause internet drama. I don't hold any grudges against him, I do find his antics quite hilarious, I expected more maturity from someone 10 years older than me.

Senior Member Four Rings drumnjuny's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BAT B7 2.0T
    Items for Sale

My point being that if you are banned from AZ its for good reason, TJ was banned and instead of accepting it he has to use other people's accounts to make sassy remarks...just accept the consequences of your actions, shouldn't be a hard concept to understand when you are in your 30's. And on a second note if he really still has an issue with me, then why not just confront me about it? Why be a teenage girl about it and cause internet drama. I don't hold any grudges against him, I do find his antics quite hilarious, I expected more maturity from someone 10 years older than me.
    i must have missed the sassy comment, was it in this thread?

for the record i couldn't care less about TJ... disliking someone or holding a grudge would require them to enter my thoughts at least once in a while haha. seen that mofo at C&C Lafayette he was all smiles so i highly doubt he cares
    Arjun's Ibis B7 2.0TQ-S GTX2867R

404awhp/355awtq (91 oct)

Ask me why RAI should not have a business license.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by drumnjuny View Post
    i must have missed the sassy comment, was it in this thread?

for the record i couldn't care less about TJ... disliking someone or holding a grudge would require them to enter my thoughts at least once in a while haha. seen that mofo at C&C Lafayette he was all smiles so i highly doubt he cares
    No it was in my recaro thread, he came in as another member pretending like he knows it all. ehhhhl ooooooh ehhhhl

Got home today and the garage door was fixed! Solid! Metallicrock, I'm not sure if my landlord called but if it was you thanks a bunch!

Senior Member Four Rings drumnjuny's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BAT B7 2.0T
    Items for Sale

oh yeah haha i forgot wasn't corey letting him use his account??

shame on you corey! time to get fingerprint recognition on your laptop
    Arjun's Ibis B7 2.0TQ-S GTX2867R

404awhp/355awtq (91 oct)

Ask me why RAI should not have a business license.