Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Tire Comments - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Conti Extreme Contact DW, Ventus V12 Evo

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Anyone have experience with these tires on their S4 or RS4:

Dunlop Direzz Z1 Star Spec
    Continental Extreme Contact DW
    Ventus V12 Evo K110
    Kuhmo Ecasta XS
    Ventus R-S3
    Potenza RE-11

I've got lightweight OZ Superlegga's and am getting 245 40 18's as replacements. Mainly for daily commute driving (10 minutes each way) and backroad driving, but no track, AX, DE. Northern California is a few weeks of rain, rarely below 40 degrees, and lots of dry weather.

These are all summer tires, but the Conti Extreme Contact DW is new, is very light (22 lbs vs. 27 for Direzza Z1's) and treadwear rating is 340 AA A vs. 140 or 180 for the others. Some mag revies had Conti's doing very well in dry and wet (thus the name "DW"). Thanks for your feedback. (I understand some are "93Y" or "93W" vs. "95 XL" but even at only 18" is appears most are not "95" or "XL" and I do not drive with adults in the car, except wifey once in a while.) Plus, with all my lightweight JHM exhaust, rotors, flywheel, etc. (and wheel reduction to OZ's) I'm probably down around 3550 lbs vs. the stock 3800 lbs.

Veteran Member Four Rings Retsujou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 RS4 Tit/Exec/Prem/Carbon

Re: Tire Comments - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Conti Extreme Contact DW, Ventus V12

...and thus you risk blowing all four tires while going 160? Man, do not fuck around with the weight rating...
    08 B7 Cherry Black Pearl RS4 + JHM Lightweight Flywheel + JHM Stage III Clutch + VAST Piggie Pipes + K&N High Flow Airfilter + APR Stage II (Testpipe tune) + Hueper Optik 30% + Magnaflow X-Pipe + Centre Resonator Delete + Deflap + HAWK Ceramic front/rear + Stoptech Steel Brake lines + V4 LED Headlights (blackout/clear corner)

Account Terminated Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Re: Tire Comments - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Conti Extreme Contact DW, Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Retsujou View Post
    ...and thus you risk blowing all four tires while going 160? Man, do not fuck around with the weight rating...
    +1 the ratings are at max pressure iirc
    and do not account for loading due to turns, hills, bumps, impacts, etc.

say 3700 for your car with fluids
    1000 in passengers/luggage
    60% on the front or 1410 lb per wheel
    93 1433, too close imo
    95 1521, a good safety margin

remember the rating goes down with tire pressure and is at a given temperature, it decreases with temp, either up or down

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4, blown 91 Mustang GT

I have experience with the Continental ContiExtremeContact tire (this is the discontinued tire not the new DWS) and the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs.

I drive the car daily on the ContiExtremes in a 235/40/18 and have had decent luck with them thus far. I will say that I had one of these tires fail due to low air pressure. It was a very cold winter day and I knew I had a small leak in the tire. Air pressure was probably around 30 psi when I struck a large pothole at about 40 mph. The impact blew a quarter sized hole in the sidewall. Thats not to say a tire with a higher load rating would not have suffered the same result given the cold temps and low pressure but it is what it is. Nonetheless these tires are a decent compromise of all season performance. Not great at anything but pretty good at everything. Yes the load rating is not XL (they are a 91 I believe) but at 40 psi front 37 psi rear they have served their purpose. I've pushed them up past 140 a few times which I do not advise.

In regards to the Direzzas . . . . I have them in a 235/45/17 on a set of B5 S4 wheels for autocross and open track events. The grip of these tires is very impressive but ultimately the weight of the car overheated the fronts and caused some pretty serious chunking after several 30 minute track sessions. For autocross they were fine. Just not up to task of pushing them to the limit for 30 minutes. If you are not planning to autocross or open track this tire you will be very happy with the raw grip they provide as you carve up some backroads. You may not be happy with how quickly they wear (200 tread wear) and how noisy they are at highway speeds especially on concrete.

I hope this sheds some light on your decision. Let me know if you have any other specific questions regarding my experiences with either tire.

Veteran Member Four Rings dparm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The Star Specs are unbeatable for the money. Look at any of the reviews...they're way ahead of the competition and are a bargain. I used to run them on my S2000 and loved them for auto-x and street use.
    now: 2011.5 BMW M3 sedan ZCP
    past: 2005 Audi S4 sedan, 2011 Audi S4 sedan

Veteran Member Four Rings vintagespin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
    Plus, with all my lightweight JHM exhaust, rotors, flywheel, etc. (and wheel reduction to OZ's) I'm probably down around 3550 lbs vs. the stock 3800 lbs.
    I don't think you've shaved 250lbs with just those mods. maybe about 150lbs. and why risk cutting it close on the load rating?
    2005 Dolphin Grey A4 1.8T Quattro 6-speed Sedan

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 1.8TQM

but the Conti Extreme Contact DW is new, is very light (22 lbs vs. 27 for Direzza Z1's) and treadwear rating is 340 AA A vs. 140 or 180 for the others.
    treadwear cannot be compared across brands (only within the brand) as each manufacturer sets their own standards for treadwear rating.

i'm also debating between similar tires, mainly the direzza z1's and the potenza re11, i'll most likely end up going with the dunlops since it's a bit cheaper and the reviews seem to be quite good.
    | bbs | vogtland | giac | racetec | alcon | and more |
    in the rare event of an erection lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury.

Veteran Member Four Rings CHECKERED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 B6 S4 DG, BMW 335i

Stock weight: 3825lb

Front rotors 10 less each 20lb total
    Rear rotors 3.5 less each 7lb total
    Flywheel 13lb less
    Exhaust, (assuming stainless steel ) 20lb less
    Wheels 12lb less per wheel 48lb

108lb total.

new weight: 3717lb
    BUT
    + driver you are at 3850lb

So you need the highest load rating you can get, RE-11’s are your best bet.
    B6 S4: JHM Supercharger Stage I, IM Spacers, Carbonio-JHM hybrid Intake, 034 MAF Hose, FI DP&CB, Carbon Fiber Vented Hood, APR Snub, 034 Engine & Trans Mounts, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, JHM Oil, Power Steering & Trans coolers, PSS9 Coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, Adjustable Control Arms, B7 RS4 Front (JHM LW rings) & Rear brakes , StopTech SS lines
    Daily Driver: BMW E92 335i Coupe, JB4 Stage 3 Piggyback w/Flash, Meth Injection, Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Quaife LSD 12.1@117mph

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

c4racer should chime in ... I'm pretty sure I saw the Ventus V12 Evos on his Avant ...
    Last edited by Hyde; 01-11-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Established Member Two Rings Babyfoood!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anyone have experience with these tires on their S4 or RS4:

Dunlop Direzz Z1 Star Spec
    Continental Extreme Contact DW
    Ventus V12 Evo K110
    Kuhmo Ecasta XS
    Ventus R-S3
    Potenza RE-11

I've got lightweight OZ Superlegga's and am getting 245 40 18's as replacements. Mainly for daily commute driving (10 minutes each way) and backroad driving, but no track, AX, DE. Northern California is a few weeks of rain, rarely below 40 degrees, and lots of dry weather.

These are all summer tires, but the Conti Extreme Contact DW is new, is very light (22 lbs vs. 27 for Direzza Z1's) and treadwear rating is 340 AA A vs. 140 or 180 for the others. Some mag revies had Conti's doing very well in dry and wet (thus the name "DW"). Thanks for your feedback. (I understand some are "93Y" or "93W" vs. "95 XL" but even at only 18" is appears most are not "95" or "XL" and I do not drive with adults in the car, except wifey once in a while.) Plus, with all my lightweight JHM exhaust, rotors, flywheel, etc. (and wheel reduction to OZ's) I'm probably down around 3550 lbs vs. the stock 3800 lbs.
    Had the DW's for 3 weeks - they were horribly noisy and had the wrong load index molded on the sidewall (tire said they were 95Y, but they were really 93Y internally - long story). I ended up with Conti3's which are the best tires I have ever used - and I have tried many including PS2's. The Conti3's are well worth the money.

Veteran Member Three Rings rzundel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ferrari Challenge Stradale, Maserati GranTurismo S, Range Rover HSE, Porsche Panamera

I have the Hankook V12's and for the money I don't think you can beat them. Quiet, great traction, and great reviews! When I went to SEMA this year they were clearly the tire of the show.
    2005 Audi B6 Tip
    -----------------
    HRE M40 20x8.5 et34, HANKOOK Ventus V12 235/30/20, BREMBO 6pot Front BBK, BREMBO 4pot Rear BBK, KW VARIANT 3 Coilovers, LABREE Res Cat Back w/4" tips, GIAC ECU Flash, AE Corner Balance + Alignment, HOTCHKIS RS4 H-Sport F&R Anti Roll Bars, STERN Adjustable Control Arms, AE PERFORMANCE Black Optic Hood and Bumper Grilles, Clear Corner mod + Silver bulbs, Rear Valence Painted Satin Black, 30% Window Tint, Front Clear Bra, RS4 Pedals.

Veteran Member Four Rings A4A4A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was choosing from a pretty similar list a couple weeks ago and went with the Hankook V12's. I've yet to try them (as they'll be going on in the spring), but all the reviews I've read on them have been really positive and they didn't hurt the wallet too bad either.

EDIT: C&D did a pretty thorough test on all these tires, which you might want to check out. The star spec's came out on top, but the place I was buying from didn't have them in my size so I went with the second place V12's.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
    -Cam
    New: MK6 Volkswagen GTI
    Old: E92 BMW 335i
    Older: B7 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Veteran Member Four Rings PESAPC's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 + B8 A4 Avant + F150 Raptor

Not on the list, but my only choice ... Michelin PS2s
    Got em on my A4 Avant S-Line
    Got em on my RS4
    Max good
    ------ ------
    B7 RS4 - JHM R-Clutch/LWFW/CP/Short Shifter + Milltek Exhaust + JHM Piggies&Tune + F/R Brembo BBK + HRE
    B8 AVANT S-Line FMIC + F Brembo BBK + BBS + STaSIS Exhaust + GIAC Tune
    BOTH Ohlins Coilovers + Rear Sway Bars + Michelin PS2 + Tint

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PESAPC View Post
    Not on the list, but my only choice ... Michelin PS2s
    Got em on my A4 Avant S-Line
    Got em on my RS4
    Max good
    You might wanna check out that C&D test too, they pin all of the "affordable" tires up against the PS2's. Unfortunately, the PS2's don't really perform as well as their price might indicate.
    -Cam

Veteran Member Four Rings PESAPC's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4 + B8 A4 Avant + F150 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by A4A4A4 View Post
    You might wanna check out that C&D test too, they pin all of the "affordable" tires up against the PS2's. Unfortunately, the PS2's don't really perform as well as their price might indicate.
    Appreciate the comment and it is valued from you ... however C/D has never, will not, guide my choice. The PS2s work well for me on and off the track.

Perhaps noteworthy is that I don't leave any tires on my car for more than 10,000 miles ... given the way I drive, I am most interest in high quality rubber and traction.
    ------ ------
    B7 RS4 - JHM R-Clutch/LWFW/CP/Short Shifter + Milltek Exhaust + JHM Piggies&Tune + F/R Brembo BBK + HRE
    B8 AVANT S-Line FMIC + F Brembo BBK + BBS + STaSIS Exhaust + GIAC Tune
    BOTH Ohlins Coilovers + Rear Sway Bars + Michelin PS2 + Tint

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PESAPC View Post
    Appreciate the comment and it is valued from you ... however C/D has never, not will, guide my choice. The PS2s work well for me on and off the track.
    By all means if you like em', stick with em'. C&D absolutely isn't the end all, be all, and doesn't even come close to real life experience, but I've found some of their articles helpful in the past and just thought I could pass on some knowledge to you and maybe save you a couple bucks next time it comes time to purchase new tires.

I apologize if I came off condescending in that first post, that really wasn't my intention. I just thought I might be able to help a fellow AZ'er out, but it seems you've definitely got it all figured out.
    -Cam

Veteran Member Four Rings vintagespin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

more than C&D's review, I was most impressed with AZ user Jet Jockey's overwhelming support of the PS2s in this thread:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303578

he's had a lot of dry/ wet track experience, and been through a lot of the top performance summer tires, and has some pretty valuable input.
    2005 Dolphin Grey A4 1.8T Quattro 6-speed Sedan

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Quote Originally Posted by rzundel View Post
    I have the Hankook V12's and for the money I don't think you can beat them. Quiet, great traction, and great reviews! When I went to SEMA this year they were clearly the tire of the show.
    What kind of driving have you done with the V12 Evo Hankooks? Dry or wet, twisty roads? Of the tires I referenced above, the V12's, RE-11's, Hankook RS3 have a 95 XL rating or above. All the others, including the Direzza Z1 Star Specs are 93 SL rated or below.

I'll probably look at the RE-11's or V12 Evo's.

I forgot to add that I took the (65 lb?) spare tire out and using can of fix a flat and AAA 100-mile tow if needed. And, I think the FI/JHM exhaust shaves 40 lbs off stock, by my estimate. All told, that's about 200 lbs. Nevertheless, I agree with the 95 XL minimum load rating, so many tires (i.e. almost all "Extreme" performance tires are out).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    c4racer should chime in ... I'm pretty sure I saw the Ventus V12 Evos on his Avant ...
    C4Racer, are you running on the Ventus V12 Evo's, and what's your impression in the dry and wet, twisty corners?

The V12 Evo's 10/32" treadwear, 97Y XL rating, and 25 lbs (vs. 27 or 28 for most others) in 245 40 18's are appealing, as is the C/D review placing them behind the Direzza Z1 Star Specs (which are not 95 XL rated)
    Last edited by FarmerBob; 01-11-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Established Member Two Rings diablooffire03's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dont ge tthe direzzas. Ive had bad experience with them, not as grippy as they should be for the $$$
    05.5 Audi S4
    01 Lexus IS300 Turbo
    08 IS250AWD SOLD
    94 6spd single Supra SOLD

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

If anyone else has run this new tire, you're review and comments would be appreciated:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110

I think the couple people that posted above really liked them. Thanks.

Registered Member Two Rings mickf29's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have a set of track tires on Direzza's, 275/35/18. Run them on my RS4, work very very nicely, in the dry. They do not perform nearly as well as say my PS2's in the wet, but they are much better than the PS2's in the dry. I have not had any chunking issues, wear seems to be quite even on them, even the shoulders, pushing really hard at the track or on a road course, do not show as much shoulder roll over as the PS2's.

I don't have experience with the other tires, but in my opinion, I would use the Direzza's for summer or track only, and use PS2's for daily driving, wet, and get a set of Blizzaks for winter. I hear alot of god things about Re-11 as well, but have not used them to give any comparison.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS4

i got the V12s in 275/30.. they're great and better than the Conti sport and overpriced PS2's at $375/ea.

after spending $800 on these i don't think i'll be spending $1500 again anytime soon like i have in the past. these V12 practically outform them. they're quiet and grip.. of course that is just my opinion, but im usually the type to spend more money on something if it's better,... these tires aren't the case.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Quote Originally Posted by two2 View Post
    i got the V12s in 275/30.. they're great and better than the Conti sport and overpriced PS2's at $375/ea.

after spending $800 on these i don't think i'll be spending $1500 again anytime soon like i have in the past. these V12 practically outform them. they're quiet and grip.. of course that is just my opinion, but im usually the type to spend more money on something if it's better,... these tires aren't the case.
    Thanks for the review of the V12's. Car and Driver's review of the lower priced tires (compared to the PS2 benchmark) had Direzza Star Specs best overall, and V12's 2nd (above the PS2's). I know it's C/D, but it is a test nonetheless.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Nogaro Blue B6 S4 6MT, Quartz Grey B7 A4 Quattro

I just picked up an E36 M3 and the car came with direzza Z1's on it. The tires are quite loud in comparison to the Dunlop DZ101's I have on my S4. The tires on the M are fairly new as well. Although they are loud, they are very sticky and run wide for their size.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

my buddy just did ThunderHilll on a set, will have to get a more detailed review of teh V12's.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Quote Originally Posted by mickf29 View Post
    my buddy just did ThunderHilll on a set, will have to get a more detailed review of teh V12's.
    Thanks Mick. Was that this weekend, b/c Thunderhill was pretty wet.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks Mick. Was that this weekend, b/c Thunderhill was pretty wet.
    It was a week ago. He drove down from Portland, not sure how the weather was for him. But we met up yesterday for coffee and I saw he put on the V12's for the event. I will talk to him this week again, find out more.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings VMRWheels's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The tread wear on the Star Specs isn't great, but it's definitely a track worthy tire. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though.
    Kevin @ VMR | Wheels
    (714) 442-7916 ext. 103 | kevin.a@velocitymotoring.com
    www.velocitymotoring.com | | | Blog | Instagram

Veteran Member Four Rings dparm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
    The tread wear on the Star Specs isn't great, but it's definitely a track worthy tire. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Agreed. But they're cheap enough that you can replace them without breaking the bank.

Grassroots Motorsports was blown away by them and the Kumho Ecsta XS on their most recent autocross tire test.
    now: 2011.5 BMW M3 sedan ZCP
    past: 2005 Audi S4 sedan, 2011 Audi S4 sedan

AZ Member #

Currently running the Star Specs on my S2000. Excellent street/auto-x tire. Totally recommended.

My 997 C2S came with PS2s. Overrated, IMO. Very spendy and not as much grip as the Star Specs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

I'm not doing AX or DE or track with these set of tires, just hard backroad driving and daily commute in Norcal (dry and wet) weather.

I like the Direzza Star Specs from the reviews and comments here, but they are 93 SL and not the standard 95 XL minimum that some people adamantly state we must use on our S4's. The PS2's, RE-11's and Ventus V12 Evo K110's are all 95XL or above, however.

Established Member Two Rings SeanK313's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Two Legs

I currently have the Ventus v12's. I am amazed at the amount of grip they have and also with how quiet of a tire they are. In addition, they perform very well in the Seattle rain, granted they are brand new and have full tread. I will say they do feel a bit softer than the PS2, but do handle handle very well. For a DD with spirited driving every now and then, they are perfect. At their low price I'd take them over the PS2 anyday.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SeanK313 View Post
    I currently have the Ventus v12's. I am amazed at the amount of grip they have and also with how quiet of a tire they are. In addition, they perform very well in the Seattle rain, granted they are brand new and have full tread. I will say they do feel a bit softer than the PS2, but do handle handle very well. For a DD with spirited driving every now and then, they are perfect. At their low price I'd take them over the PS2 anyday.
    Review I got back from a friend who drove them last week (V12's) was that they were pretty good, sidewall was not as stiff as the PS2's, and hey rolled over the edges a bit more. I could definitely see the heavy rollover on the fronts. But again, this was tracking, not street.

Veteran Member Four Rings littleredwagen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4

i run the direzza Z1 star spec on track and street. I find them to be fine on the S4 at speed and have tons of grip. Then for a short period of time I had bridgestones on the car and cornering speeds were lower and the car felt like it was loosing grip sooner.
    -Matt
    2011 Phantom Black S4 Prestige 6mt
    Past:
    2001.5 S4 EPL Stage 3 Imola Yellow
    2005 S4 Avant 6spd Brilliant Red