Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings DGISNOT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 A6 2.7T

Self-leveling headlights question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Recently I was at the local full service car wash and one of the geniuses that works there decided to backup the car in front of mine into my car and hit the driver's side headlight and punched it in slightly. The carwash paid for the damage and my local bodyshop did the repair work. Question is, when they put it back together I now have a headlight leveling light in my driver display and the lights no longer self-level. When I try to VAG Com it they move slightly and then go back to the original position. They are aimed properly but just don't move. Bodyshop says they put it all back together the way it came apart. Whatever. Is there an easy way to fix this or is something effed up now. Thanks.
    '02 A6 2.7T Tip ~ Light Silver Metallic/Platinum
    GIAC Stage 1+ ~ Bosch 710Ns ~ K&N Drop-in
    Eibach Pro-Kit ~ KONI FSD ~ Hotchkis H-sways
    Cross-drilled Brembos ~ Stoptech Stainless Lines
    18x8.5 RS6 Replicas 35et ~ H&R Spacers F/R
    Rear Lip Spoiler ~ Painted Rear Lower Valance
    Debadged ~ Tint ~ Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
    S6 Door Blades ~ MUCH MORE TO COME!

Veteran Member Four Rings Stampy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A6, A8, X5, etc

Re: Self-leveling headlights question

You have to learn the position with vagcom. I forget which block it is, but it is on the Xenon page. You have to learn groups 001/002/003 if I remember correctly.
    Village Idiot!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

lots of rings in my garage

Veteran Member Three Rings Coors's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 A4 USP 6MT

Re: Self-leveling headlights question

Straight from the VAGCom archive.

This procedure applies only to older Xenon systems that use KW-1281. Procedures for specific vehicles, including newer cars that use KWP-2000 or CAN systems can be found in the Ross-Tech wiki.

This procedure details how to perform a Xenon Headlamp Adjustment on many VW/Audi vehicles equipped with Xenons (HID's). This procedure cycles the motorized headlamp adjusters to their center position so that the beams can be adjusted. This does NOT align the headlamps by itself. You still need to manually adjust the headlamps via the adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

If this procedure is only partially performed, there may be a DTC stored in the Xenon Range memory indicating "Headlights not adjusted". To clear this, you need to complete the entire procedure.

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing this procedure:

Vehicle must be parked on level ground and "settled" on its suspension

Parking brake should be OFF

Ignition should be in the "On" position

Headlamps should be "Off"

Procedure for Aligning Xenon Headlamps:

[Select]
    [55 - Xenon Range] (For some newer vehicles, use [29 - Left Light] instead )
    [Basic Settings - 04]
    Group 001
    [Go!]

Wait at least 20 seconds for the headlamp motors to move. The headlamps are now in their adjustment position. Turn on headlights. Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

Scroll up to Group 002. The Xenon Range controller has now learned this position as its Home position.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Your welcome!
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist, then poof he is gone.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    GIAC BI File/TT 225 Injectors/034 HFC/Forge007/JHM Short Throw/B5 S4 Motor Mounts/podi/AFE Dry/...
    [Sold] '01.5 6MT C5 A6/RS4'd/GIAC Stage 3 Minus w/ alot of mods