Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings AudiOso's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Do Hotwheels count?

Can anyone recommend a good alternative HEX-USB CAN Vag-Com cable supplier?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I need a HEX-USB CAN Vag-Com cable for my cars, but I just can't see spending the money on the Ross-Tech part. It's outrageous how much it costs. Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent supplier that makes a good cable that is compatible with the Ross-Tech software and works on the CAN bus cars?
    A couple of Audi's later...

"It's a false state of elation... You can join the Prozac nation... If you want to..." - Killing Joke

Registered Member Four Rings B6JoeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Terminator Cobra

Re: Can anyone recommend a good alternative HEX-USB CAN Vag-Com cable supplier?

i got one from ebay and it seems to work just fine. i think it was 12 bucks shipped.

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4Turbo22's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 Audi A4 1.8TQ Tip, '10 Mbz E550
    Items for Sale

x2 need info
    -Kirk
    AZ's First 2.0 Stroker 3076R Powered Tiptronic B6 Built by RavenMS. Powered by PSI Concepts & GIAC

BetaAlphaTau Member #58

"The last time someone tried to put GRAMMAR in their shit it caused a massive over boost and their motor shit the bed." - Turbavanttro

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #

ebay seller alpha bid works well w my cracked vag com
    2003 A4 1.8TQ
    APR stg2+, 240mm clutch, 12lbs flywheel, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, RS4 Rear sway bar, Team Dynamics Motorsports lightweight wheels

Veteran Member Four Rings MmmBoost's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 A4 Avant S-line, 07 Suzuki GSX-R600, '69 VW Beetle w/ 1.9L aircooled turbo

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
    ebay seller alpha bid works well w my cracked vag com
    FAIL
    ~Chris

Podi.ca Team
    My B6 Avant GT2871R build
    Tumblr

"Robert Bosch don't fuck around"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Do Hotwheels count?

There is no ebay seller by the name "alpha bid"...

"It's a false state of elation... You can join the Prozac nation... If you want to..." - Killing Joke

Veteran Member Four Rings bez101's Avatar
    AZ Member #

alpha bid did sell on ebay he got banned for selling snide fake stuff hes now under a diff name

Veteran Member Four Rings EBG 18T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota 4Runner 4x4

if you don't want to spend the $ on rosstech's cable you can also look at the VAD setup. I have both VAGCom & VAD and use the VAD more often since it is smaller. Both work well. Here's a link: VAD Diagnostics
    Empty Garage

Veteran Member Four Rings 500HPS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    OG B6 A4, B8.5 S5, C7 S6

I have yet to see a knockoff cable that has CAN-BUS capabilities.

You can get USB cables, but they are basically USB-serial adapters. With those cables you can run legacy VAG-COM up to version 409

If you want true CAN-BUS capabilities, gotta go with genuine Ross-Tech.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Do Hotwheels count?

I guess I'm just going to have to shell out the $349 and get the real deal then. It's just crazy that their product is so expensive, but I've never heard any complaints on the quality, so as is the case in most circumstances, you get what you pay for.

I've had a wanted ad posted for a couple of months looking to see if someone had a used one they were trying to get rid of. No bites as of yet, but I need to do something because I bought a S4 3-spoke Tiptronic steering wheel for my Avant and need to program the car to use the paddles. I also wanted to turn off the DSP so that the transmission's programming was running out of adaptive mode.

Account Terminated Three Rings lotusgardener's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 Audi A4

Yeah your best bet is to search the classifieds often, and Craigslist. I got mine off of Craigslist for 40 bucks. I was the first to pounce on it, guy tole me had over 10 others interested.

Veteran Member Four Rings Undisputed's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05' A4 USP, 00' Suburban, 07' Tahoe

You got really lucky.
    05' USP 6MT-REVO Stage II- Racetec- Stoptech 332- OCarbon Fiber Interior Trim- B7 RS4 Steering Wheel- VMR Boost Gauge- Siemens 380's- Bailey Motorsport DV- NGK Copper Plugs- LED tails- and a few other things

-Damon-

USP CLUB MEMBER #927

Veteran Member Four Rings 500HPS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    OG B6 A4, B8.5 S5, C7 S6

Quote Originally Posted by AudiOso View Post
    I guess I'm just going to have to shell out the $349 and get the real deal then. It's just crazy that their product is so expensive, but I've never heard any complaints on the quality, so as is the case in most circumstances, you get what you pay for.

I've had a wanted ad posted for a couple of months looking to see if someone had a used one they were trying to get rid of. No bites as of yet, but I need to do something because I bought a S4 3-spoke Tiptronic steering wheel for my Avant and need to program the car to use the paddles. I also wanted to turn off the DSP so that the transmission's programming was running out of adaptive mode.
    Well, I think it is a fair price since the folks over at Ross-Tech have invested quite a bit of time and energy to provide us with a interface/software.

A genuine Ross-Tech cable is a invaluable tool.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota 4Runner 4x4

I guess I'm just going to have to shell out the $349 and get the real deal then. It's just crazy that their product is so expensive,
    I can't imagine the time & money that went into developing the Rosstech product.

Realistically could you make a better product for less $$?
    Last edited by EBG 18T; 12-27-2009 at 04:17 PM.
    Empty Garage

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Matt@EuropaParts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah, AFAIK, no knock off cables exist that work with CAN-BUS, and the knock off cables don't do everything. I had one for a while, and it worked for simple mods, but once you start getting into logging, recoding for navigation and stuff like that, you need the real deal. Although it is expensive, look at it as an investment. It's a great tool to have, moreso if you do a lot of your own upkeep on the car. I've had mine for years, and its paid for itself.

We have the Hex-USB-CAN on our website for $356.35 (with free shipping) if you're interested (http://www.europaparts.com/vag-com-d...ross-tech.html), and then you just download the software (you want release 908) from Ross-Tech's website (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/)
    Matt Kapuscinski
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 201.777.0005
    Email: matt@europaparts.com
    Twitter: Specials & Discounts

Help us track our Audizine sales: Enter "MATVEJ" at checkout

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MmmBoost View Post
    FAIL
    the only fail is paying for things when you can get them free. sure I would like to have the real deal but I dont have the money for it..
    2003 A4 1.8TQ
    APR stg2+, 240mm clutch, 12lbs flywheel, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, RS4 Rear sway bar, Team Dynamics Motorsports lightweight wheels

the only fail is paying for things when you can get them free. sure I would like to have the real deal but I dont have the money for it..
    Is this not the definition of stealing?

Veteran Member Four Rings Dan1969's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B6

I got the cable, so far never had to use it for diagnostics, only for recoding the RNS-E.
    A4 '04 3.0 Q Sedan 6MT
    I [heart] your mom
    The minority - Audizine 3.0 group member

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota 4Runner 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@DTH View Post

i think it is more akin to free-loading.

the guy that made the cables is stealing. the person that buys the knock-off cable is free-loading.
    Empty Garage

Veteran Member Four Rings blmlozz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post

the guy that made the cables is stealing. the person that buys the knock-off cable is free-loading.
    No. Texas is using a hacked version of vag-com that allows him to by-pass the $99 fee to activate it. Which is stealing.

There's no copyright on the ability to mass produce USB OBD-II cables that I'm aware of btw..
    current; 2013 ATS, 2000 S4, 99 A6 Avant, 89 Corvette .
    Past; 2012 CTS-V, 90 Miata, 11 CTS-V, 09 G8, 01 S4, 99.5 A4, 00 Protégé.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota 4Runner 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by blmlozz View Post
    No. Texas is using a hacked version of vag-com that allows him to by-pass the $99 fee to activate it. Which is stealing.
    true.

i never understood using the hacked versions of things. I guess i always felt bad and just bought the licenced software and cables the first time. VAD was great to deal with when the puppy ate the end of my cable, they set me up with a new one for a nominal cost. Rosstech has always addressed and questions i have had thru e-mail. Probably wouldn't have received any help if i didn't have the real versions.

to both VAD & Rosstech for creating easy to use diagnostic software that has saved me a ton of $$ over the years.
    Empty Garage

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 CC VR6 Sport

I agree with you completely, Eric. I have no problem supporting suppliers who provide a quality product that provides something of value that I can use. To each his own, but I would much rather think of myself as a supporter than a taker. It has always worked better for me in the long run.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Do Hotwheels count?

I don't see myself doing complex tasks like logging. I just want to change the settings for the DSP and turn on the paddle shifters for the steering wheel I'm installing. I guess I never can predict what I might do down the road, but I don't necessarily see the need to access all of the system functions. That brings me back to my original question of what was the best non-Ross-Tech product? They can't all be garbage.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Suck it up and pay the price. Ross-tech makes a good product at at a decent price-point.

it's proprietary software. Using an aftermarket cable is stealing (reference your license agreement)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

if you don't want to spend the $ on rosstech's cable you can also look at the VAD setup. I have both VAGCom & VAD and use the VAD more often since it is smaller. Both work well. Here's a link: VAD Diagnostics
    Let me see if I have this right, if you don't want to spend the $249-$349 on Ross Tech, go spend the $599-$799 on VAD? Did I miss something?
    My only problem with Ross Tech is that their site reflects a bad attitude towards their customers. They don't seem to value customer service.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
    Suck it up and pay the price. Ross-tech makes a good product at at a decent price-point.

it's proprietary software. Using an aftermarket cable is stealing (reference your license agreement)
    I do not have the software yet (noobie, only 5 weeks into Audi's) but from reading the Ross Tech site, it seems that all they are saying is that if you buy an aftermarket cable, you are on your own with no support. Can't say I blame them but they do not seem to claim rights to the communication cable, just the software. If you use an aftermarket cable and the free crippled software, I can't see the legal problem.
    Then if you really want to full functionality, go buy the Ross Tech version. Sort of like a cheap test drive. Cheaper anyway than trying to return the full version to Ross Tech.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4, 93 RX-7

Although the price tag seems steep for the cable and software you have to think of it as them making all their money up front. I have had mine since 1997 and have not paid a dime for free software updates while using it on every VW and Audi I have owned since.

Buying a fake cable and using Ross-Tech's software is screwing everyone who ever paid for their product because it puts the company's future in jeopardy. Not to mention the necessary price increase that future buyers will have to pay because someone wanted it for free.
    Last edited by prew; 12-28-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings skeeball's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't see myself doing complex tasks like logging. I just want to change the settings for the DSP and turn on the paddle shifters for the steering wheel I'm installing. I guess I never can predict what I might do down the road, but I don't necessarily see the need to access all of the system functions. That brings me back to my original question of what was the best non-Ross-Tech product? They can't all be garbage.
    If that is the case, you can find someone local with a real cable that can help you make those changes in exchange for some beer. At most GTG's guys that have them will bring them to help others out.

I bought the real deal and I consider it a good investment in a tool that I use frequently.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

yes and seller alpha bid or whatever sells a cable that IS can bus capable but does not list it on ebay and its $55. I say u buy the $55 cable and the $99 license and you are good to go. I agree that $300 for some software and a cable is ridiculous even given its capabilities, however it is the ONLY way to ensure the Buy Once Buy Right rule as you can't go wrong.
    -Kirk
    AZ's First 2.0 Stroker 3076R Powered Tiptronic B6 Built by RavenMS. Powered by PSI Concepts & GIAC

BetaAlphaTau Member #58

"The last time someone tried to put GRAMMAR in their shit it caused a massive over boost and their motor shit the bed." - Turbavanttro

AZ Member #

I purchased the cable to download the free version to clear codes. I then purchased the $99 activation code, when my computer crashed I had no extra money so I downloaded a activation code generator.

Its not stealing, or free loading or taking. If its really a big deal I will take donations to purchase a real cable or code again.
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

AZ Member #

how is someone who is selling the cables stealing? Hes selling a cable, what the end user does with it has nothing to do with the seller. There are numerous programs and uses for those cables...
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I purchased the cable to download the free version to clear codes. I then purchased the $99 activation code, when my computer crashed I had no extra money so I downloaded a activation code generator.

Its not stealing, or free loading or taking. If its really a big deal I will take donations to purchase a real cable or code again.
    what u should've done is contacted them and said u lost the code and they would of hooked u up.
    -Kirk

BetaAlphaTau Member #58

AZ Member #

no its not, stealing is taking something that is not yours. if i found a turbo via searching on google for $200 instead of $1000 would it be stealing if I bought the cheaper one?

thats a dumb example but whatever
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4Turbo22 View Post
    what u should've done is contacted them and said u lost the code and they would of hooked u up.
    or tell me to purchase a new code or cable which is what they did i even told them you can get their product free and they still wouldnt help me out
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

^^that's screwed up
    -Kirk

BetaAlphaTau Member #58

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Do Hotwheels count?

I still can't believe that everyone else's cable is crap and that my only viable solution is to spend$250 on a cable from Ross-Tech. That just doesn't feel right. I have no problem paying for a software license. I just think that their cable is overpriced.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3.0 quattro

Stealing is using the name of VAG by Ross-Tech
    Last edited by chrom; 12-28-2009 at 10:22 AM.

AZ Member #

I still can't believe that everyone else's cable is crap and that my only viable solution is to spend$250 on a cable from Ross-Tech. That just doesn't feel right. I have no problem paying for a software license. I just think that their cable is overpriced.
    thats what im saying! my cable plugs into my laptop and OBD port just fine, and allows the ross tech program to function perfectly and fully and all for $14
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

AZ Member #

OP pmed you!
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chrom View Post
    Stealing is using the name of VAG also.
    the seller doesnt use the name vag ever so once again no issues
    2003 A4 1.8TQ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast