Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: A8L

Veteran Member Three Rings ArTTemis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi TT

Question A8L

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I was driveing through Silver Spring Maryland two days ago and I noticed a A8L
    What does the L stand for?
    Also what is the the difference between the A8 and the A8L?
    I just saved a bunch on money on my car insurance by running from the police.

Established Member Two Rings Fabulous-V8's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi V8 3.6L automatic

Re: A8L

A8L
    L - is Lang.
    Lang as name is longer than normal A8. about 50cm are puted more between on legsspace. Mostly used by businessman. and these cars are fully loaded.

use wiki and i think ou get better answer then i can give ;)
    My photogallery: http://www.shadowphotography.deviantart.com
    Sorry for a bad english sometimes :)

Active Member Two Rings xtrentx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just means long wheel base, a little longer then a typical A8 with way more interior options haha

Veteran Member Three Rings ArTTemis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi TT

Thank-You! I thought it stood for long.
    I didnt know it also meant LOADED!
    They look Nice!
    I have only seen two so I knew there was something special about it!
    I just saved a bunch on money on my car insurance by running from the police.

Active Member Two Rings Adjuster's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The A8L that you want to watch for are the A8L W12's.

They have the 450hp W12 engine, and most of them are fully decked out. (Were about 112,000.00 USD new MSRP, and have the alcantera headliner and trim, leather upgrades like the dash, center console, full door panel trim etc. Also many of the W12 A8L's have the solar sun roof option, something I miss from my 98.)

You lose the ability to see out of the sunroof, but on hot days, it is so very awesome to get into your car, and it's no hotter inside than it is outside. (And if you were only gone for a moment, it's actually cooler, as the air is blown over the evaporator, and if it's cool, it keeps the incoming air cooler than ambiant.) My 98 allowed the panel to be tilted open too, allowing hot air out easy, and still remained in contact so the fan was pushing fresh air into the car as long as the sun shines.

The leather wears better than the stock interior too, as does the Alcantera v/s stock cloth headliner. (I think it's quieter too, but my old A8 also had the dual pane glass, as do many of the fully decked out W12's.. Another benefit.. It's quieter, cooler/warmer and as it's laminated, very resistant to theft. (Like a windshield, it has a layer of plastic between two layers of glass, so you get thermal benefits along with the sound deadening effect.)

The downside to my old A8 was the solar panel also included a specially coated windshield and side glass. My cell phone, or radar detector barely worked. (Was a waste of time actually, and often to get a cell signal, I'd have to open the sun roof, or roll down the windows... Pretty funny, but it's a shielded envrionment both from the sun, and radio signals.)

Lastly, the A8L's with the rear center console generally have a built in cooler where the ski pass/sack goes. (You can keep some beverages cool there, and the console has pockets and upgraded controls for 4 zone heating/cooling and of course the power rear seats with power cooling/heat.)

Down side is feeding the W12 beast fuel.
    Daily Driver 2004 A8L (With only 14k miles.)

Replacing 1998 A8. (It's been a great car, just want a newer one without 136k+ on the clock.)