Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings JEENYUS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

Power Steering Pump going out Symptoms?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So today i got in my car and i noticed that because of the cold weather (10 degrees) my belts in the car have been making some noise. it almost sounds like a groan. well i figured this was normal due to the cold weather and the miles on my car (110k). today after work i got back into my car and the sound has only worsened. i think it is the power steering pump, but i would like to confirm before i decide to replace it. so my question is; what are the symptoms of the power steering going out? how much is a new one?

notes: the sound was so much worse when the would turn my wheel and i could feel a strong vibration.

more notes: has anyone one made/though about making a "symptoms thread" where reading through it you could find out symptoms of certain things going out? (i.e. fuel pump - whining in the back seat
    control arm - random thumping over bumps in the front fender
    coil pack - horrible idle, car dieing.
    etc. etc. etc.)

i think this would help a lot since a lot of these questions seem to come up a lot. just a thought though. maybe someone could take it in to consideration.

TIA
    Asses are where it's at. even fat chicks can have nice boobs. -MmmBoost

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Re: Power Steering Pump going out Symptoms?

Veteran Member Four Rings PDX04a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A4 Avant S-line

ya my power steering has been worse since its gotten so damn cold, i just keep adding power steering fluid as i go. i need to find the point of my leak and stop it, just havent had a weekend to really get into it. make sure you check your reservoir, the groaning could mean that its just low on power steering fluid and you may have a leak somewhere.

Senior Member Three Rings TwinTipSkier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 Volvo S60T5-AWD

A moan and bubbly PS fluid means airs gettin in somewhere. Just a moan could mean its just low.
    I put a cap full of mobil ATF in my PS system after I replaced the rack. And in my 944 after I replaced the PS pump. No leaks or moans since.
    Not sure if that had any effect or what exactly it did, but a trusted friend and ferrari tech I know advised me to do so.
    -John
    '02 A4 1.8TQMS

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

anyone know where i can buy mineral hydrolic fluid for power steering besides the deal or imports store? more on the lines of checker or ace? i double checked mine and it is not even registering i need to fill it asap and unfortunately here in SLC all of the dealer's parts stores close, indy shops close so i am left with slim options. TIA.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

one more question before i got to bed. after searching in regards to the Power Steering Fluid, i have come across the idea or suggestion to use Mobil 1 ATF fluid in place of the Mineral Power Steering Fluid and it seems to work just fine. if anyone can shed some light on this i would be very thankful. thanks again guys, you are all tons of help.

Established Member Two Rings nightshutter's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JEENYUS View Post
    anyone know where i can buy mineral hydrolic fluid for power steering besides the deal or imports store? more on the lines of checker or ace? i double checked mine and it is not even registering i need to fill it asap and unfortunately here in SLC all of the dealer's parts stores close, indy shops close so i am left with slim options. TIA.
    I bought mine at napa. I also heard you can get it at carquest. Watch out who you talk to on the phone. I had to describe it to them then they knew what I was talking about. $21.00 aprox. Im experiencing the same problem. Another thread i read said his problem was his PS filter. Check your hoses, clamps, do a flush, and clean your filter before you drop $400+ (I think) on a new pump.

Veteran Member Four Rings EBG 18T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota 4Runner 4x4

one more question before i got to bed. after searching in regards to the Power Steering Fluid, i have come across the idea or suggestion to use Mobil 1 ATF fluid in place of the Mineral Power Steering Fluid and it seems to work just fine. if anyone can shed some light on this i would be very thankful. thanks again guys, you are all tons of help.
    you want Pentosyn CHF 11S (this the Audi spec'd fluid):
    Empty Garage

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    you want Pentosyn CHF 11S (this the Audi spec'd fluid):
    Thats the stuff!
    2003 A4 3.0Q Dolphin Grey
    MODS: Blackout grille, Debadge, Black mirror caps, Joey Mod. UPCOMING MODS: rs4 rear sway, Paint Lowers, Blackout Window Trim, Blackout rims, intake, coilovers. I do cosmetic cause I have a 3.0

Veteran Member Four Rings diagnosticator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In an emergency, you can use ATF to top up, then flush/change it out with the correct fluid.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

alright guys thanks a ton. NAPA should have this stuff? or anywhere besides the dealer i can buy it? our dealer is not open on saturday (at least the parts store isnt... dumbest shit ever) TIA

EDIT: Napa has some. i found it thanks guys. rep
    Last edited by JEENYUS; 12-12-2009 at 09:22 AM.

AZ Member #

alright guys thanks a ton. NAPA should have this stuff? or anywhere besides the dealer i can buy it? our dealer is not open on saturday (at least the parts store isnt... dumbest shit ever) TIA
    I see your in salt lake? I got mine at the napa in american fork. im sure others have it. if not they can deliver it to a location in a couple of hours i think. streamline on 2100 s has it but they are close on saturdays.
    2003 A4 3.0Q Dolphin Grey
    MODS: Blackout grille, Debadge, Black mirror caps, Joey Mod. UPCOMING MODS: rs4 rear sway, Paint Lowers, Blackout Window Trim, Blackout rims, intake, coilovers. I do cosmetic cause I have a 3.0

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
    I see your in salt lake? I got mine at the napa in american fork. im sure others have it. if not they can deliver it to a location in a couple of hours i think. streamline on 2100 s has it but they are close on saturdays.
    ya, they are closed on sat. so are utah imports and the strong audi dealer. everywhere was closed except the southtowne vw location, but i dont want to drive that far.

Veteran Member Four Rings EBG 18T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota 4Runner 4x4

EDIT: Napa has some. i found it thanks guys. rep
    glad you found some. it is much easier to top off with the right stuff vs putting the wrong stuff in and then having to flush the system which is kinda a pia.
    Empty Garage

Veteran Member Four Rings diagnosticator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    glad you found some. it is much easier to top off with the right stuff vs putting the wrong stuff in and then having to flush the system which is kinda a pia.
    Yes, that is true, but in a low fluid emergency, it's best to top up instead of ruining a pump. But your are right, having to flush the system afterwards is a PIA, but then so is killing a pump.

Veteran Member Four Rings aaaudiprotein's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6
    Items for Sale

My car started doing this when it got colder, just checked the fluid level-- its super low.
    BLACKHAWKS 2010 AND 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
    Windows 7 WAS MY IDEA

Veteran Member Four Rings nein-reis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 GT3076R
    Items for Sale

My fluid level was low a few sundays ago and started moaning on me. Of course dealer is closed, so I pulled into a Jiffy Lube and they stocked the VW/Audi PS fluid.

BONUS:
    If they like your car.. its free! All the employees flocked to my car and stared at it, when it came time to pay... dude said "Car is sick dude, don't worry about it."

SO if your low on PS fluid and you have a BAT car on a sunday, go to Jiffy Lube.
    -Tyler-
    \
    Built 06A/IE Cams/IE 2.0 stroker/GT3076/6MTQ
    Eurodyne M7 ~Dan Shank super tuned

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 3.0 V6

how much would it have been if they didnt think your car was sick?

Veteran Member Four Rings nein-reis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 GT3076R
    Items for Sale

how much would it have been if they didnt think your car was sick?
    I do not know... but they me gave the bottle too. ...Can't imagine it would be much.
    -Tyler-
    \
    Built 06A/IE Cams/IE 2.0 stroker/GT3076/6MTQ
    Eurodyne M7 ~Dan Shank super tuned

Veteran Member Four Rings PDX04a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A4 Avant S-line

the pentosin 11S is only like $20 a bottle at NAPA. i really need to get my damn rack replaced, wish i wasnt so f'ing poor
    Thanks for the EFF shack. -Dirty Mike and the Boyz

Veteran Member Four Rings aaaudiprotein's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6
    Items for Sale

Yeah, $22 from Napa, added some fluid and weird sounds are gone (knocking on a wood)
    BLACKHAWKS 2010 AND 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
    Windows 7 WAS MY IDEA