Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Refinishing Chrome Trim?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Does anyone have any experience with refinishing or repainting chrome trim? It really bothers me that some of the highlights on the S4 are more of a brushed or dull aluminum look and other bits are bright, (ugly) shiny chrome. I think the car would look a lot nicer if all of the metals were dull aluminum. Chrome is so 2001...

I want to refinish the chrome trim around the windows, grill and fog lights to match the side mirrors. Am I crazy? Is it possible? Is there a clearcoat over the metal that has to be stripped first? I'm confident that I can do the refinishing portion by stripping, and rubbing it down with some 3M pads or something and then re-clearcoating it if necessary. I'm more concerned with the removal of the trim around the windows. That looks like a pain in the ass...

So anyway, does anyone have any tips or tricks for this? I know there's a Black Optic option, but it's expensive and I prefer the dull aluminum look.

Thanks!

- Jeremy -
    Last edited by - Jeremy -; 12-04-2009 at 07:33 AM.

AZ Member #

Re: Refinishing Chrome Trim?

I was thinking of doing the same.....well not myself...but have a pro do it. Anyway, I wanted to do gunmetal on the trim. Hope to throw some gm colored 19s on for the summer.

I did a quick PS to see what that would look like.

Phantom Black B8 S4 | Premium | Silk Nappa Leather with Black and Silver Interior | Audi MMI Nav Plus | S-Tronic |
    Mods:
    Debadge V6T | 40% FX-ST tint 5 windows | 3M Paint Protect - full front half | VAG Codes: Seat belt warning/Lap timer/Oil temp/Battery meter

Registered Member Four Rings Okan509's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Looks good!
    (Alex) Mod Thread- 2013 S4 - 6MT

AZ Member #

Gunmetal would look pretty badass on a Phantom Black car. I've always hated black cars, but I think I might order Phantom and go the gunmetal route. Either way, that chrome absolutely must go.

- Jeremy -

Veteran Member Four Rings NWS4Guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Range Rover Evoque 2010 Audi S4

There are vinyl options that black it out you tape on, or there is the Optics package you can get which does this. I know AE Performance sells the blacked out grill for $350 with core charge.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=132

AZ Member #

Yeah, I know... I was just hoping to match the mirrors instead. I think I'll test it out on the grille first and just order a replacement if I screw it all up.

- Jeremy -