Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Three Rings dino's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T 5MTQ

DIY: B6 A4 Rear Window Regulator

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    This was done on my 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. The symptoms that occurred were when I heard something snap when lowering the rear left side window. It didn't sound good and not wanting to leave it in the open position, I went ahead and attempted to close it. That's when I heard more snapping noises and knew that my window regulator was on it's way to window regulator heaven.

Wanting to save some money, it was time to . Proceed at your own risk and please read the entire writeup before attempting this on your own. This writeup can be used as a guide for the rear right side window regulator too.

There are several choices of where to purchase OEM parts. I ordered mine through genuinevwaudiparts.

Part Number: 8E0 839 461 C (Current - 5/25/09)
    Part Number: 8E0 839 461 A (Old - 7/6/02)

Tools:
    Flat and Phillips head screwdrivers
    Torx Set (T25, T30, T45)
    Ratchet Wrench and extensions
    Needle nose pliers
    Hair Dryer
    Canvas mat or cardboard to sit on
    Stool
    Blue threadlock

Time: 2 hours or less. It actually took me a lot longer because I was taking pictures along the way and split it over several days. It's nice to have a garage and a second vehicle.

Difficulty Scale (1-10): 3

Procedure:
    1. Remove trim. Be careful not to break the curved tab (outboard point on door).

2. Remove 4 screws. 3 located behind the trim. 1 accessed below the armrest. Use the Phillips head screwdriver.

3. Next yank the door panel off. It's easiest to start from the bottom and work your way around. There are some snap clips that will most likely break. You can replace them as needed.

4. There are 3 connections (wires/cables) still attached between the door and panel. The first is the door handle linkage (cable with orange shield). Slide the white piece off and unhook.

Then there are two harness connections you need to detach. One to the speaker, the second to the window motor. Be sure to remember where they plug into.

Here's a view of the door.

Here's a view of the inside of the panel.

5. Unplug the three other harnesses. Two to the window motor, one to the speaker. Cut the black ziptie.

6. Remove the speaker. There are three screws holding it in place. (Phillips)

7. Remove window motor. There are three screws holding it in place. (T25)

8. Remove entire foam cover. It helps to heat up the adhesive using a hair dryer.

9. Remove plastic cover. There are two screws holding it in place. (Phillips)

10. Remove C-pillar plastic cover and two foam pieces.

11. Remove the screw that fastens to the window regulator. (T25)

12. Carefully remove the upper portion of the weather stripping. This is what it should look like.
    ~> dino
    2003 A4 1.8T 5MTQ - Brilliant Black on Ebony
    | Bose | Cold | Premium | Sport | Xenon |
    | Visor | A4 Rubber Mats | Tint | Aero Kit | Ross-Tech KEY-USB | V1 | Podi | Euro Knob |
    | APR K04/Snub | GFB Hybrid | TT225 Injectors | AMS SS | RaceTec FMIC | Hayden PSC |
    | B5 S4 Front Brakes | Hawk HPS | ECS Lines | Motul RBF 600 | RS4 RSB | PSI TP |

Items for Sale

Veteran Member Three Rings dino's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T 5MTQ

Re: DIY: B6 A4 Rear Window Regulator

13. The next set of photos show where all the screws and fasteners are (6 total). You have to remove two rubber caps to get to some of them. (T25, T30, and T45)

14. Squeeze the three blue clips so you can push the regulator into the door.

15. Remove the rubber flaps so you can pull out the window assembly. The flaps are a part of the window assembly.

16. Be careful when removing the window assembly. This is what it should look like.

17. Remove the two screws holding the window to the regulator and remove the glass. (T25)

18. Remove this last screw. (T25)

19. Here's the culprit of many broken rear window regulators.

20. Replace the window regulator, reinstall everything in reverse order, and you're done. Note: Use blue threadlock on screws with existing threadlock (I counted two).

Old Regulator

New Regulator

Happy .
    ~> dino
    2003 A4 1.8T 5MTQ - Brilliant Black on Ebony
    | Bose | Cold | Premium | Sport | Xenon |
    | Visor | A4 Rubber Mats | Tint | Aero Kit | Ross-Tech KEY-USB | V1 | Podi | Euro Knob |
    | APR K04/Snub | GFB Hybrid | TT225 Injectors | AMS SS | RaceTec FMIC | Hayden PSC |
    | B5 S4 Front Brakes | Hawk HPS | ECS Lines | Motul RBF 600 | RS4 RSB | PSI TP |

Items for Sale

Veteran Member Four Rings Rommulus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 1.8TQM

Great write-up! Thanks!

AZ Member #

mines been broken fora while now.too lazy to fix it. maybe ill care when the car starts to run

great DIY though!
    @Boden_AutoHaus

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I just replaced my regulator and needed a couple of clips, so I thought I'd add the part numbers for future reference;

8E0-868-243 : Large black clip for mid section of panel (.78 ea)

8E0-867-276 : Small white clip for top part of panel (1.12 ea)

Dealers do not always carry them in stock so you may want to order in advance.

Thanks for the write-up!

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4, 2009 CC VR6 Sport, 2013 A5 B8
    Items for Sale

Wow! Nice write up! I don't know how I missed it the first time around. Bookmarked for sure!
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / FT High Flow Exhaust Manifold / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi Boost Gauge
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint

Veteran Member Four Rings waldo1324's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    the Ghost of the Princess, 2007 Ford Fusion, 2006 Honda Accord

just did it. its glorious. a million thanks
    ""GHETTO MODIFIERS"" member #1
    The Princess: SOLD.. i love you, please forgive me

"I agree with Waldo 100%" -1997GTX

..psst if you have a 2003+ 225 TT, email me..wally.iverson(at)gmail.com

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Awesome write-up! Just used it today on my '02 right-rear. Thanks for it! Saved a ton of $$$

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AUDI

Thumbs up Thanks a lot

Dino: Hi I was wondering why cannot replace only the Green Pice I guess called the Window Regulator Culprit..do you have that part number...would they sell it separately? Is it glued to the rest of the assambly ? Please enlighten me. I guess my two rear windows just are facing the same problem and I spend money recenlty on Brakes, front axles, and tires and cannot go for this right now.

Veteran Member Three Rings msharifi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think if the cable is not broken just replace the green plastic that is broken with the new one.. No need to replace the whole thing. I did that with my A4.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AUDI

Thumbs up thanks Msharifi

Quote Originally Posted by msharifi View Post
    I think if the cable is not broken just replace the green plastic that is broken with the new one.. No need to replace the whole thing. I did that with my A4.
    I am buying the green part online through ebay in London.. I called the dealer and they say " We can't sell spare parts for the window regulator" I guess it would last me for another 80K miles just like the previous ones, I will tint the windows( thing this I dont like much to do) for a pragmatic reason I guess that there would be less heat index inside the car while parked since I live in Miami and the sun here is everyday..thanks for the encouragement I am going for it I will post results here.
    By the way the green part sales for $ 12,99 plues $5.99 shipping. The website is Osco Trading - Ebay. they have all this parts for some european manufactured cars including our Audi, VW, BMW, Skoda, Ranault
    Last edited by rodosant; 07-09-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: To add details

Veteran Member Four Rings bwoy1981's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 A3 Monsoon Grey PP S-Line
    Items for Sale

Yea I got mine from Turkey like 2 mths ago for $12.99 shipped on EBAY. It was just that green piece. I didnt take out the entire window assembly either. It was a tight fit but I got it out and in, in like 30 mins. Great write up non- the less!
    GONE: 2016 Monsson Grey A3 S-Line Premium Plus S-Tronic
    Stance SC1 19x9.5 et40 Brushed Titanium, Solowerks
    Coilovers, Pure CF Rear Wing, CF Side mirrors, RS3 Pedals,
    Neuspeed Power Module.

NEW: 05 Porsche 911 White / Black Interior 6 Speed manual
    BC Racing Coilovers, FABSpeed Exhaust & Intake

Veteran Member Three Rings aalipio's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 S4 V8 02 A4 1.8T

just what i needed! i was down to one good window (front passenger)! Driver front was propped up, rear left propped up, repaired right rear green clip and then a few days before i was going to dish out the cash for the parts... some jack ass decided to bash my front passenger window (only one not broken) and stole my kenwood flip out...

oh well... going to order all new regulators and knock it out myself! thanks again =)
    and i think im leaning towards a Dynavin headunit...

Veteran Member Four Rings sa_seahawker's Avatar
    AZ Member #

x400000 for the little white panel retaining clips. Everytime I pull a door panel off, I'm good to break at least 3 of those little bastards.
    "Some people wear Superman pajamas, but Superman wears Russell Wilson pajamas..."

"Amy" 2003 A4 1.8TQM - Amulet Red
    440cc Green Giants | Motoza 1+ | ER FMIC | forge 007 DV | Magnaflow 16601 | TT DP | 034 HFC
    H&R Sports | Koni yellows | VMR 19ET38 708s | 235/35R19 Goodyear Eagle GTs
    MY BUILD

Established Member Two Rings rhumen's Avatar
    AZ Member #

http://bit.ly/p3x4nL to find the ebay seller. beware that most other parts websites have incorrectly marked pieces. i just wasted a whole week waiting for front door regulators when i ordered rear
    h&r coilovers | neuspeed exhaust | forge 007 | podi/vei digital boost gauge | chipped

Veteran Member Four Rings a4darkness's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Used this to successfully swap my rear window that was liberated from my ride by one of San Francisco's finer citizens. Big props dino. Appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Thomas
    | Chronicles | Threads | IG
    // A U B A

Senior Member Three Rings audiman18's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S5, '86 Audi Coupe (Rally Project), 07 VW GTI Fahrenheit, 00 TT, 66 Mustang,
    Items for Sale

Thank you for an awesome DIY. Just did mine started at 7 and just got done (roughly 3 hours). I was easy just time consuming. I just replaced the green piece though and it only cost me 17 bucks shipped. I got it from a guy in MI named Volker his email is info@regulatorfix.com really great guy to work with and the part came in three days
    Last edited by audiman18; 08-23-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings msharifi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audiman18 View Post
    Thank you for an awesome DIY. Just did mine started at 7 and just got done (roughly 3 hours). I was easy just time consuming. I just replaced the green piece though and it only cost me 17 bucks shipped. I got it from a guy in MI named Volker his email is info@regulatorfix.com really great guy to work with and the part came in three days
    I bought one from him last week too and it works great the only thing I didn't like was the 2 screws wouldn't fit so you have to use dril to make the size bigger which I had to do that but otherwise for $17 you can't go wrong.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Dodge Journey, 1998 Passat AEB, 1999 Passat AEB, 2000 A4 ATW, 2002 A6 3.0/2.7T tiptronic KLR250

Quote Originally Posted by sa_seahawker View Post
    x400000 for the little white panel retaining clips. Everytime I pull a door panel off, I'm good to break at least 3 of those little bastards.
    Send me a photo. Maybe my manufacturer makes them.

Volker
    info@regulatorfix.com
    01 Allroad Tiptronic, TCU tune, mild stg 3 (350 HP) tune (stock injectors) KraftwerkTurbo TM1. Lower, Wider. Custom tip vent pod with Podi
    02 Allroad 6 spd, Kraftwerk Turbo TM6, 750cc, 3" MAF, piggy, FMIC, CM stg 5 (hate). 30 psi at 3600 rpm. Needs stronger rods (coming).
    05 Golf TDI
    Looking for 2001 A4 1.8T quattro manual with blown motor
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Dodge Journey, 1998 Passat AEB, 1999 Passat AEB, 2000 A4 ATW, 2002 A6 3.0/2.7T tiptronic KLR250

Quote Originally Posted by audiman18 View Post
    Audiman, thanks for the kudos! I just stumbled on this DIY and your post, since a fellow A4 B6 came by to pick up a rear clip from. Since I haven't done the rear on a B6 myself yet, I was on the look out for a good write up he could use to replace the clip.

Another poster here mentioned that it can be done without having to take the entire regulator out. Does someone have a link for a DIY/write/photos/tips how to do it?

I am starting to run low on A4 B6 rear clips, so I make sure to get more in right away.

Volker
    01 Allroad Tiptronic, TCU tune, mild stg 3 (350 HP) tune (stock injectors) KraftwerkTurbo TM1. Lower, Wider. Custom tip vent pod with Podi
    02 Allroad 6 spd, Kraftwerk Turbo TM6, 750cc, 3" MAF, piggy, FMIC, CM stg 5 (hate). 30 psi at 3600 rpm. Needs stronger rods (coming).
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msharifi View Post
    I bought one from him last week too and it works great the only thing I didn't like was the 2 screws wouldn't fit so you have to use dril to make the size bigger which I had to do that but otherwise for $17 you can't go wrong.
    msharifi, thanks for mentioning me. Can you provide a few more details for me which holes have to be enlarged? So I can get the manufacturer to change the design, and to alert others who may want to use my clips.

Thanks.

Volker
    info@regulatorfix.com
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Senior Member Three Rings audiman18's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S5, '86 Audi Coupe (Rally Project), 07 VW GTI Fahrenheit, 00 TT, 66 Mustang,
    Items for Sale

Another poster here mentioned that it can be done without having to take the entire regulator out. Does someone have a link for a DIY/write/photos/tips how to do it?

Volker
    No I don't and I PMed him and he said it took forever and he used little mirrors. From what I saw while doing mine.. ya good luck and you better have small hands and a cool head... I don't have either haha

Veteran Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sorry to bump an old thread but I sheared the head off of one of the window motor bolts. Is there a non destructive way way to get the rest of that screw out? I'm leaning toward just leaving it alone because it's the rear passnger window and it seems solid right now with two screws. Thanks.
    Custom Towing operates in douchebaggery.....

Veteran Member Four Rings airjordan223's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well my window decided to not roll up during a rain storm and I thought it was my motor/regulator.

Luckily it was just this lovely green piece that seems to so commonly break. $30 bucks from the ebay seller posted above with 2 day shipping.

Thanks for the DIY!

2002 A4 3.0 Quattro | 17" BBS RK | ST Coilovers | LED DRLs | Hardwired V1 | Alpine 12" Type R | Pioneer 800W Amp | eDead 80 | Dice iPod Integration | Power Slot Rotors | Hawk HPS Pads

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Great write up... just replaced mine this morning with the help of this post. Thank You!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03audi1031 View Post
    Great write up... just replaced mine this morning with the help of this post. Thank You!!
    Just with my B5 could be fixed that way. So far, I haven't found a source for 'cheap fix' parts so I could stock them.
    Driver side rear is showing the sign (slow, needs 'help' going up). Plan to do exploratory surgery on Saturday to find out what could be the culprit, and how to fix. B5 rears look like this:

regulatorfix.com
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sa_seahawker View Post
    Are they common to break (others who have done it: chime in)?
    Still looking for close up photo, dimensions so I stock those 'white panel retaining clips (don't have a B6 to check myself).
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
    Are they common to break (others who have done it: chime in)?
    Still looking for close up photo, dimensions so I stock those 'white panel retaining clips (don't have a B6 to check myself).
    This is a 'white' clip, but for the cable (Christmas tree clips). Probably NOT the one?
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

This one?

05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just with my B5 could be fixed that way. So far, I haven't found a source for 'cheap fix' parts so I could stock them.
    Driver side rear is showing the sign (slow, needs 'help' going up). Plan to do exploratory surgery on Saturday to find out what could be the culprit, and how to fix. B5 rears look like this:
    regulatorfix.com
    On my B5, the wear part is the green plastic pulley... I happened to have some ball bearing'd aluminum pullies about that size laying around, so I ground off the stud and uses a stainless machine screw to hold it on.
    2017 M2 or RS3 - Whichever I can get first in Germany in the summer.
    2013 Bug Turbo Stage II with various mods - Temporary whip
    2004 Touareg - Wife's car
    1991 LS400 (body) /1999 GS400 (driveline) - Lemons race car
    1985 AE86 - SCCA IT/B race car

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    On my B5, the wear part is the green plastic pulley... I happened to have some ball bearing'd aluminum pullies about that size laying around, so I ground off the stud and uses a stainless machine screw to hold it on.
    This one (below)?
    Did it break, or 'bind'?
    Have not found the part itself yet; seems a common part (B5 front, other Audi regulators also seem to have it). Will check if I can find a manufacturer.

05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hurahn View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I sheared the head off of one of the window motor bolts. Is there a non destructive way way to get the rest of that screw out? I'm leaning toward just leaving it alone because it's the rear passnger window and it seems solid right now with two screws. Thanks.
    Just to chime in on the "screw" issue: I recently replaced the clips on a Beetle, and found only 1 screw 'solid', the other 2 with marginal hold. Since the 'legs' of motor slip into pin holes, the torque is actually transferred through the form fit of leg-to-pin-hole. The screws only 'hold' it in place. So with your 2 screws 'solid', you should be good.

How did you strip? IIRC, those screws are like wood/sheetmetal screws, and the week part should be the plastic they go in?
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for posting all this information. I just had my driver rear do what everyone is talking about. Was lowering it, then heard a clunk, and it doesn't fall all the way, but won't go down or up with the motor. I can at least pull it up by hand and have it raised all the way, but embarrassingly held by tape for now. I'm hoping it's the blue plastic part that is talked about. We'll see after I get home from Christmas.
    Again, thanks for the links for supplies. This ought to be fun in a cast on my right arm.
    Ryan

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gugnheim View Post
    Thanks for posting all this information. I just had my driver rear do what everyone is talking about. Was lowering it, then heard a clunk, and it doesn't fall all the way, but won't go down or up with the motor. I can at least pull it up by hand and have it raised all the way, but embarrassingly held by tape for now. I'm hoping it's the blue plastic part that is talked about. We'll see after I get home from Christmas.
    Again, thanks for the links for supplies. This ought to be fun in a cast on my right arm.
    Ryan
    It likely just is the 'green' large clip. Just got large shipment in from Europe and saved on shipping cost (normally horrendous). Rears are $16 shipped regular for forum members ($19 Priority Mail).

PM, post or email info@regulatorfix.com
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RedRings's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 A4 1.8t FWD & 03 A4 1.8t Quattro
    Items for Sale

Thank you for the great post. Did my both rear windows by changing the green plastic part replacement from e-bay for $12 each instead of $480 for each door in f--ing dealer.

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This one (below)?
    Did it break, or 'bind'?
    Have not found the part itself yet; seems a common part (B5 front, other Audi regulators also seem to have it). Will check if I can find a manufacturer.

Looking at it again, looks like it was the top one... pulley wore out. Metal cable under lots of tension on plastic pulley = stupid design. Maybe not really a typical DYI, as I got the pulley from a torn apart telescope, and ground off the end of post , drilled and tapped it etc...
    2017 M2 or RS3 - Whichever I can get first in Germany in the summer.
    2013 Bug Turbo Stage II with various mods - Temporary whip
    2004 Touareg - Wife's car
    1991 LS400 (body) /1999 GS400 (driveline) - Lemons race car
    1985 AE86 - SCCA IT/B race car

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ok, I'm in the middle of doing this to my driver rear, got the part from our board friend and things are going swimmingly. Except for the weather stripping. How do you guys get that removed without tearing?
    Thanks
    Ryan

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RedRings's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 A4 1.8t FWD & 03 A4 1.8t Quattro
    Items for Sale

Mine came off pretty easy. However, when I grabbed it from the top it was about to tear off as well. Finaly pulled from corner by the tweeter and the rest did came off easly. Put it back is more hassle actualy. Good luck.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Just a note: decided to also stock up all Audi/VW (and others like BMW, Saab, Volvo, Jaguar, Ford Focus, etc.) CABLES (even so they are FAR less often the cause for not working regulators). Should be in stock by mid February.
    Just in case someone need cables (aside from clips and pulleys).
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Once again thanks for the great posts all. Everything is switched out, now fighting the weather strip to go back on...