Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 Premium plus 3.0T. Ice Silver/Black, Nav, S-Line, 2012 BMW K1300S; 2007 Nissan Titan

Adding backup sensors

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I did a quick search and nothing came up.

Anyone add backup sensors to their car? I am not talking about the camera, just the sonar sensors. I saw (I can't remember where) that Bosch had a system available for under $300.

If you did do it how hard was the install?

thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings NPuter's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 MBZ CLK350 Cab/'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Re: Adding backup sensors

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye96 View Post
    I did a quick search and nothing came up.

Anyone add backup sensors to their car? I am not talking about the camera, just the sonar sensors. I saw (I can't remember where) that Bosch had a system available for under $300.

If you did do it how hard was the install?

thanks
    I saw them as a retrofit kit.....I can't imagine installing them... Cutting holes in bumpers (they are not already there, right?) running wires, etc.

Veteran Member Four Rings ItsDubC's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd say you would definitely need to buy the bumper that has the holes already in it for the backup sensors or whatever. Your dealer should be able to order it. As for the wiring, I have no idea how difficult that'd be.
    OEM+ 2009 Meteor Gray - Light Gray A4 2.0T Tip Quattro Prem+ Sport Saloon
    All-Weather Mats • Hόper Optik Stark 30 • APR Stage I • A5 S-line Y-spokes • Hankook Ventus V12 evos • S-line Stone Guards
    VAG-COM'd • H&R OE Sports • Eurocode IC Pipe • OEM Avant Dual Exhaust • Lamin-X'd • Smoked Ambers

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Q5 Premium plus 3.0T. Ice Silver/Black, Nav, S-Line, 2012 BMW K1300S; 2007 Nissan Titan

Buying a bumper with the holes already cut would make it a lot easier. But the wiring would have to be a bitch. That's why I was curious if anyone had done this. I might have a winter project.

Senior Member Three Rings dieatomic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4

kufatec.com has a retrofit i believe
    http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...ex&cPath=6_149
    2009 A4 2.0T Premium + with Nav /APR S3 K04 Turbo/ AWE FMIC /APR full turbo back quad exhaust with diamond black tips/ S-line supension / 35% Tint / HID Fogs / Euro S4 LED Tail Lights retrofit / CF Trim / OSIR CF / Lusch CF / Rotora 380mm 8pot Front BBK and upgraded rear rotors / R8 V10 Steering Wheel with MA Carbon center and paddles

Veteran Member Four Rings Ryan_T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 2.0T

The reason you didn't find a lot of results is because the cost is too prohibitive to justify. The B8 isn't that big of a car, I say just get to know your vehicle well, and save your money.

Get one of these, instead:

If you need them on the road, just get out of the car, and place it before you park.
    Last edited by Ryan_T; 11-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Ryan - flickr

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

I got my OEM (Audi original) retrofit sensors last week
    The package comes complete with instructions and all required parts
    I talked to my local Audi representative today and they will make the installation, including drilling the holes and everything

Let me post a pic and OEM part number for you... BRB
    NOW: Audi Q5 2.0T Ibis White
    19" 5-Y spoke wheels 255/50 tires | Exhaust tips | Special lower body paint work | VAG-COM customizations

EX: Audi A4 B8 CVT deep ocean blue
    19" 5-Y spoke wheels & 255/35 Dunlop SpeedMaxx tires | S4 grille & fogs trims | S-Line side skirts & exhaust tips | "Audi collection" items | Custom paintwork | CTM ECU reprog | VAG-COM

Veteran Member Four Rings Ryan_T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 2.0T

So they'll be drilling holes on your existing bumper? Scary. Let us know how it went and how much. I know I said the opposite earlier, but if it turned out nice and affordable...why not.
    Ryan - flickr

Veteran Member Four Rings DavidB8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Buying a bumper with the holes already cut would make it a lot easier. But the wiring would have to be a bitch. That's why I was curious if anyone had done this. I might have a winter project.
    If they have kept the same premise through out the years I don't think it would be a big deal. I added the emergency cell phone antennas to my B5 which required removing the bumper which only took 4 bolts from inside the trunk. Getting the wiring in and done was easy. Audi left the body plugs in all the right places and harnesses were in the car where needed to just plug it all in. It took a bit of panel removing in the trunk to get to the in car harness but that was it. The panels were not hard to get out and in. May not be the same for this but until you get the kit it's hard to say.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

OK guys here's the pic I promissed

BACK UP (REVERSE) PARKING AID SENSORS FORR AUDI A4 B8

- Teilenummer (part number) was taken from ETKA
    - Ordered from ibexparts (dot com)
    - The whole kit (OEM Audi) was around 300 EUR plus S&H

My Audi dealer has installed some of these kits before, this is not new for them, and I have seen them retrofitted on a Q7 and it looked OEM,
    that's why I decided to go for the original AUDI option instead of third-party

You can see the OEM part number in the box

PS: the other box is for another gadget I just got
    19" 5-Y spoke wheels 255/50 tires | Exhaust tips | Special lower body paint work | VAG-COM customizations

19" 5-Y spoke wheels & 255/35 Dunlop SpeedMaxx tires | S4 grille & fogs trims | S-Line side skirts & exhaust tips | "Audi collection" items | Custom paintwork | CTM ECU reprog | VAG-COM

AZ Member #
    My Garage

How much did the whole thing run you? The hardware and the install?

thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

How much did the whole thing run you? The hardware and the install?

thanks
    around 500 washingtons

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gtrab View Post
    around 500 washingtons
    That's it???
    That included the kit and the dealer installing it for you?

Did they install the button inside the car that activates/deactivates it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

dealer ran another 300 for installation:
    the installation was perfect and simple
    holes look exact, looks pre-installed

but the system is not working at all:
    when I shift to reverse it starts beeping all the time, with or without obstacles, and the audi authorized dealer has no idea
    they have double checked all cabes/connections and everything looks OK, but the beep is annoying and not increasing as you approach an object

help appreciated

Veteran Member Four Rings hender's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 2.0T

dealer ran another 300 for installation:
    the installation was perfect and simple
    holes look exact, looks pre-installed

but the system is not working at all:
    when I shift to reverse it starts beeping all the time, with or without obstacles, and the audi authorized dealer has no idea
    they have double checked all cabes/connections and everything looks OK, but the beep is annoying and not increasing as you approach an object

help appreciated
    throw the keys at the dealer! They installed it, and charged you plenty for it too!
    sweet multi-spoke stock 17"s | 20% tint | crackfiller | few scratches where I closed the garage door on the bumper | 4x4 ride height | matte black hood | di-noc CF interior trim | plasti-dipped parts | pirated vag-com | 50lbs of sound equipment | couple of small stone chips on the hood | APR stg 1 | RS-Mesh Grille

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

of course I ain't paying a dime untill they solve it out

somebody else has experience with this retrofit kit from Audi ???

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anybody have any experience with this, particularly on a US spec A4?? It looks like it converts the LCD screen to accommodate any kind of video. Instead of sensors, I was looking to add a backup camera.

I do not have MMI (dash and gear shift on the center console look exactly like what's in the photo, but on the left side). I've emailed the company that sells it to ask for installation details, etc., but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...3&cat=0&page=1

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Anybody have any experience with this, particularly on a US spec A4?? It looks like it converts the LCD screen to accommodate any kind of video. Instead of sensors, I was looking to add a backup camera.

I do not have MMI (dash and gear shift on the center console look exactly like what's in the photo, but on the left side). I've emailed the company that sells it to ask for installation details, etc., but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...3&cat=0&page=1
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...light=xcarlink

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks.

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You may want to check this page:

Notes on retrofitting parking sensors/Audi Parking System in Audi A4/A5/A6 etc.
    http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/article...ingsystem.html
    My A4/A5 VAG COM codes list:
    http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a5vagcodes.html

Friends Audi retrofit site:
    http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

gtrab: did you get your reverse sensors working in the end? Also do the retrofit audi oem reverse sensors (if installed by the dealer, i.e. drilling etc) stick out of the bumper or is it the same as factory fitted i.e. doesn't stick out?

Thanks,
    K.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

Quote Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
    gtrab: did you get your reverse sensors working in the end? Also do the retrofit audi oem reverse sensors (if installed by the dealer, i.e. drilling etc) stick out of the bumper or is it the same as factory fitted i.e. doesn't stick out?

Thanks,
    K.
    Yes I got it fixed, it was very simple in the end: the sensors were not installed in the proper order (murphy's law)
    They work a treat

And yes they protrude slightly, not that noticeable, but they do

AZ Member #

Do you have pics of your bumper? Would like to see how much they protude? Thanks :) So the dealers drilled the holes?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

Do you have pics of your bumper? Would like to see how much they protude? Thanks :) So the dealers drilled the holes?
    Bumpers already come with marks for the holes, I could've done it, but I preferred to leave it to the dealer because of the wiring
    (In the end I finished working side by side with the workshop guy due to the sensors order stuff and because I couldn't resist :D - check my DIY thread I'm kind of DIY-crazy :p)

No I don't have pics
    Send me a PM tomorrow and I'll take a pic for you

AZ Member #

gtrab: did you get your reverse sensors working in the end? Also do the retrofit audi oem reverse sensors (if installed by the dealer, i.e. drilling etc) stick out of the bumper or is it the same as factory fitted i.e. doesn't stick out?.
    Using the factory sensors with the VW mounting hardware mine came out flush. The kit that was installed in this thread are not the OEM sensors that come from factory.

Yes I got it fixed, it was very simple in the end: the sensors were not installed in the proper order (murphy's law)
    They work a treat

And yes they protrude slightly, not that noticeable, but they do
    How do you install the sensors in the wrong order? That can't of been easy.
    Reaching Me:Please don't ask me questions on the forum or send me private messages as it may be a while before I respond.
    If you need something email me directly at David@audienthusiasts.com I don't frequent this forum very often.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB8 View Post
    Using the factory sensors with the VW mounting hardware mine came out flush. The kit that was installed in this thread are not the OEM sensors that come from factory.
    The ones I used were Audi OEM, check the pic @ post 10, the little box to the right side

How do you install the sensors in the wrong order? That can't of been easy.
    the guys from the dealer...
    LOL Murphy rulez :D

AZ Member #

Ok will PM you tomorrow to get pics :)
    DavidB8: You mean Audi has another kit which comes from the factory? i.e. not the Audi OEM pic that was posted by gtrab?

AZ Member #

We actually had an entire discussion on this before. The kit you bought, albeit an Audi product is not the same as the factory installed parts. The kits I've seen for sale in Europe are actually made by a company called Cobra. You can see a lot of them on eBay UK for some reason.

Audi isn't known for it's discounts so work this one out:

Controller :8K0 919 475 H - $134.64
    Parking sensors: 4H0 919 275 A GRU - $70.20 x 4 280.80
    Buzzer: $10.68
    Add the harnesses say..$100
    Mounting hardware.. About $40.

I bought mine from Europe so they where cheaper than these but this is discount pricing from genuinevw. For someone wanting to do this retro though you could gets parts for half of that off of ebay though.

This is a factory retro fitted sensor, does yours look like this?:
    Reaching Me:Please don't ask me questions on the forum or send me private messages as it may be a while before I respond.
    If you need something email me directly at David@audienthusiasts.com I don't frequent this forum very often.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

AZ Member #

I'm thinking to take mine to the dealer to do it but not sure what they use? cobra or the audi or something else? I'm going to check with them.

Veteran Member Four Rings B_Boy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2012 Mazda 3i

can this rear sensors be added with the rear view camera on a symphony system?
    b_boy
    ‘12 Audi A4 Quattro: Premium+, Sport Package, S-Line, B-O, Adv. Key
    Tint: 15% F/R, 50% Windshield, LED Color Match Fog Lights/Int/Ext,
    S4 Aluminum Paddles, RS6 Pedals, B8.5 Shifter, VAG-COM, storage bins,
    H&R Sport Springs, Blacked-OUT Grille, Valance, Splitter & W/S Trim, OSIR Trunk Spoiler
    Wheels: Vossen CV3 20x9 ET 32
    Coming Soon: SQ5?
    Future: Exhaust?, GIAC/APR ECU?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

We actually had an entire discussion on this before. The kit you bought, albeit an Audi product is not the same as the factory installed parts. The kits I've seen for sale in Europe are actually made by a company called Cobra. You can see a lot of them on eBay UK for some reason.

Audi isn't known for it's discounts so work this one out:

Controller :8K0 919 475 H - $134.64
    Parking sensors: 4H0 919 275 A GRU - $70.20 x 4 280.80
    Buzzer: $10.68
    Add the harnesses say..$100
    Mounting hardware.. About $40.

I bought mine from Europe so they where cheaper than these but this is discount pricing from genuinevw. For someone wanting to do this retro though you could gets parts for half of that off of ebay though.

This is a factory retro fitted sensor, does yours look like this?:
    By getting your listed parts, I can have rear backup sensor like yours in photo?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B_Boy View Post
    can this rear sensors be added with the rear view camera on a symphony system?
    I never say never, but realistically no. You need an MMI high system for the factory rear view camera.

Quote Originally Posted by hazuremon View Post
    By getting your listed parts, I can have rear backup sensor like yours in photo?
    Well... Yes and no, there is more involved than just that. Your car colour makes a difference. If you have a black car you can get them already painted. If anything else you have to order primer and paint them yourself (which is pretty easy).

You will need the proper part numbers for the retainers that hold the sensors, you will not get those from Audi as they are VW parts, you also need the sealing rings and tape for the holders. Why don't you wait until you get your car. I am close I hope to getting my fronts working. When that happens I will put a DIY up on my website with all the part numbers and instructions for mounting and painting. Not only that, it means I will have my rear module for sale.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks David. Great information as always. I will probably wait a bit longer while I am waiting for my car and your rear module.. :P

Veteran Member Three Rings Kandiru's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ItsDubC View Post
    I'd say you would definitely need to buy the bumper that has the holes already in it for the backup sensors or whatever. Your dealer should be able to order it. As for the wiring, I have no idea how difficult that'd be.
    Thank God my mum is Bulgarian so i can understand these two brave Slovaks:

No need for new bumper if you are good enough to fly and maintain an RTF RC Helicopter
    like the one in the trunk, or repair stuff in your home.
    2012 S4 6MT Monsoon/Silver-Alc./Diff+B&O+airbags, Mods:R8 V10 St.Wheel, JHM Shifter, Summer: S5 Double Spokes 8T0601025H - Dunlop 245/35R19 (ET32), Winter: Hollow Spokes 8K00714994EE - Dunlop 255/35R19 with BFI-5mm-Fr+10mm-Rear & RAD 35mm bolts/locks, Customcargrills upper/lower/L-fog radiators protection, Oil Dipstick, RS4 pedals x4 & Autovation Heel Guard, Seat Bins, Trunk Triangle, Laminx fronts+fogs+edges+bumper, Windesa Sonniboy 8K Curtains

Senior Member Three Rings EuroEclipse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Evolution X GSR / 2012 Volkswagen GTI

I actually was talking to my Audi dealer about this. They said it takes 2 hours to do and it's about 450 euro total for part and install... Thinking about doing it, but then again I don't back into spaces.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B8, Audi Q5 2013

This was one of the first mods I did to my A4. Very useful indeed.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the same rear parking sensors installed recently in the car. I now hate the sound of the buzzer.. its too fucking annoying, too loud, and beeps constantly when i'm driving out of garage, due to side sensors.

It's ok for when really parking on the street - it beeps ok - and its loud. It's part #, kit made by cobra. How do I make this thing less annoying? Less loud, and stop reacting to side obstacles, like getting out from narrow garage?

Yes, I did drill 4 20mm holes in the bumper to fit rear sensors.
    B6/B7 owners: Buy my OEM suspension for $50 4 springs + 4 Struts

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

You can't adjust the volume on the Cobra kit. Find the buzzer and cover it with something to silence it a little.

BTW, anyone have the part numbers for the VW sensor brackets? David? I want to add the OEM optical parking system but the Kufatec kit is a tad too expensive.