Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

View Poll Results: How were your starter problems ultimately resolved?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replaced Battery

6 10.34%
  • Replaced Clutch Switch

1 1.72%
  • Replaced Starter

51 87.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    F80 M3, E60 M5

Starter Issues; B6 S4 - Attempting Official Resolution

Not bringing up a new topic here as I know this has been discussed ad nauseam; but rather I'd like to get a semi-official poll of those experiencing this problem so I can represent this to Audi corporate. Some of you may have seen my regional thread about the issues in resolving this with my local dealer, and after a conversation with Audi corporate (customer service) it seems like they aren't aware of this being a true "problem" - since they seemingly have no record of complaints. The challenge too that I'm facing is that the Audi "tech line" has no actionable solution to the starter issues; i.e. if no fault is shown, starter is deemed fine. Audi Service - officially it seems - will not "proactively" check to see if the starter is needing replacement, even if the car has problems starting.

To sum up fairly quickly what I'm being put through, have a CPO car that has problems starting. First visit to dealer, was told to "press the clutch pedal down firmly when starting" (thanks, somehow I appeared to be doing this fine during the first 8 months of car ownership). Second visit to dealer (which required a tow), clutch switch was fixed. Third visit to dealer is today; another required tow.

Moreso than venting my frustration, I'd like to help future owners by not having to go through this. It's been a huge waste of time for me and my wife (the primary driver of the car). Any other advice is welcome at this point; several others in the NorCal section have assisted greatly already (thanks, Dan).

P.S. I'm no mechanic; it's of course possible that the starter isn't at fault here, but according to the dealership, everything else (i.e. battery, spark plugs) checks out OK.

Forum Moderator Four Rings SoCalS4Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Starter Issues; B6 S4 - Attempting Official Resolution

Hey Kevin, have they even tested the starter? There's a DIY for testing it.

Even if they won't replace it (yet), they should be able to do a test to hopefully confirm what it is you're dealing with (as are a lot of other B6'ers).

Let me know what I can do to help.
    Moderator/Wiseguy

yeah, I'm pretty sure this needs to happen too...so I can live Vicariously through myself. - cab509
    People are stupid. It's a fact. It's science. - tankdeer
    Better be careful. That's the kind of car that can get people pregnant. -Jermunji
    Nothing makes me happier than the fact that your motive is based on spite, revenge, and regret. Well done sir. A tip of the hat to you. - tankdeer

AZ Member #

Also - why don't you start a poll (I couldn't find one having been done yet when I searched...but I thought there had been). Ask the following questions.

B6 Starting problem:

1. yes, replaced battery, fixed
    2. yes, replaced clutch switch, fixed
    3. yes, replaced starter, fixed
    4. yes, replaced battery or clutch switch first, wasn't fixed, then replaced starter and it was fixed
    5. no, no starting problems (yet!)
    Moderator/Wiseguy

yeah, I'm pretty sure this needs to happen too...so I can live Vicariously through myself. - cab509
    Better be careful. That's the kind of car that can get people pregnant. -Jermunji
    Nothing makes me happier than the fact that your motive is based on spite, revenge, and regret. Well done sir. A tip of the hat to you. - tankdeer

Senior Member Three Rings ZEUSROTTY's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have to replace mine...
    2010 S4 DSG Mods None yet...

Gone 2004 S4 Mods: tinted 25%, APR Dowpipes, w/custom custom cat back including Magnaflow x-pipe Magnaflow bullet mufflers and Flowmaster D40's . Stock intake, APR Reflash - Hotchkins Sways - Koni Yellows front and rear - H&R Springs - Goodrich brake lines - Hawk+'s - Nitto NT05's for the street and 01's for the track. 18" R8 Reps... More to come!

Senior Member Three Rings MonkeyBiz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is this the push the clutch, turn the key, nothing happens issue? If so, I'm a member of the club.

My work-around is pushing the clutch down super slow AND with pressure to the outside of the car. Ridiculous to have to do this to start a $50k automobile...but it works! Most of the time...
    2004 B6 S4 6-Speed MT - Black w/Alcantara

| ~ JHM ~ Magnaflow ~ Hotchkis ~ Hawk ~ Hankook ~ Hartmann ~ more to come...|

Senior Member Three Rings 93hrdtptt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 S4-Nogaro Blue 6spd, 2000 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
    Is this the push the clutch, turn the key, nothing happens issue? If so, I'm a member of the club.

My work-around is pushing the clutch down super slow AND with pressure to the outside of the car. Ridiculous to have to do this to start a $50k automobile...but it works! Most of the time...
    I'm starting to get this problem as well...almost every morning since its a ~40-45, it takes a couple seconds or a few ignition turns... I have yet to fix it

Veteran Member Four Rings littleredwagen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Ara Blue S3

the starter is probably the culprit, CPO is useless, starter is a PITA to replace.
    -Matt
    2017 S3 Ara Blue
    Past:
    2011 S4 Prestige 6mt Black
    2001.5 S4 EPL Stage 3 Yellow
    2005 S4 Avant 6spd Red

Veteran Member Four Rings Silver B6 S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 PT Cruiser GT Stage 2

Same issue, dealer couldn't replicate it. Had to hold the key this morning for 5 minutes... I was hoping it caught fire, but it didn't.

AZ Member #

For all you willing to wait it out while AOA sits on their hands, more power to you.

However, if you want to get your starter now and either DIY or go to your indy for the job, get the part at partsgeek. That's where I got mine. Best price out there for a new starter. GenuineAudiParts isn't a bad way to go either.

There is a couple DIY's out there if you're ballsy! One requires you undo a motormount, the other does not. Neither is easy, as my friend LittleRed said.
    Moderator/Wiseguy

Established Member Two Rings audimotion's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4 Cabriolet 6MT, 07 Q7 3.6

exactly, partsgeek.com...around 200.00 for the starter and around 2 hrs labor at reputable indy. As I've mentioned before, the starter will catch fire if held too long...be cautious!

Senior Member Two Rings psiaddict's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dealer had replaced my clutch switch first which had no change.

They just changed my starter and it starts cranking immediately now. No more problems. Fixed

They were completely unaware of any issues regarding this too btw.
    '01 S4 Stage 2 Imola/Alcantara +sport pkg

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I wonder if anyone has knowledge if all these starters are subject to failure, or if its a specific part number/lot that is more prone to have issues. Meaning, if you have it replaced with an OEM part, will it likely give out again after a couple of years?

Veteran Member Four Rings Brooklyn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Regular deal with my car since last winter. Really bad when it is cold. The other day it just refused to start period. Came back after it had warmed up and it cranked immediately. Really need to decide if I'm keeping this car. Problem started for me around the 40k mark. Time to call Induktion.
    l 2013 S6 l Oolong Gray/Black l Previous: l 2013 C7 A6 3.0t l B8 S4 6MT l B6 S4 6MT l B6 A4 3.0 6MT l B5 Passat 1.8t 6MT l

AZ Member #

Good call Ill.

If you HAVE NOT replaced your starter yet, when you do, please check the part # so we can possibly verify this.
    Moderator/Wiseguy

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Just spoke to my independent shop and he thinks that if the car eventually cranks, it shouldn't be an issue with the starter. Would hate to have them swap out the various switches only to come back to the starter. Since I'm planning on ditching this car by Feb, hard to part with a lot of coin on a repair like this. That Audi is claiming they haven't seen this issue pop up is a joke. Should just drive over to their HQ and let them see it in person.
    l 2013 S6 l Oolong Gray/Black l Previous: l 2013 C7 A6 3.0t l B8 S4 6MT l B6 S4 6MT l B6 A4 3.0 6MT l B5 Passat 1.8t 6MT l

Veteran Member Three Rings justinperkins's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 Avant & C5 A6 Avant Q

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Just spoke to my independent shop and he thinks that if the car eventually cranks, it shouldn't be an issue with the starter
    But that's actually the EXACT symptom that many, many S4 owners have and which a starter replacement fixes.
    -justin

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It is actually the solenoid that goes bad. My indy guys said it gets worse in cold weather. This made sense, where as my car would eventually start, then would be fine the rest of the day as it was good and warmed up after the initial start....just what I was told.

AZ Member #

^ It's the same tale most are hearing. I'd like to put a lot of faith into that tale, as I haven't heard of many (any?) people say they've still had the same problem AFTER they've replaced the starter.

The same can't be said for the batter and clutch switch folks.
    Moderator/Wiseguy

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E60 M5 Gone: 996TT stage 3, E46 M3, B6 S4

sorry to hear you are still having issues Kevin. if you are ever down here i know one of the service advisors personaly and am sure he will take care of you...

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Got a quote of just under $400 to replace the ignition switch and the clutch switch. What's the cost on replacing the starter itself for those of you who have had to pay out of pocket?

AZ Member #

Starter on partsgeek is about $200. If you get an indy to put it in, you're looking at a two-hour install - another $200 potentially. So, close to the same. Some indys may be cheaper - say $60/hr range. That'd save you some cash.

If you DIY, you save even more!
    Moderator/Wiseguy

Active Member One Ring benstohlen's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I found the starter cheaper here with free shipping. had it in about 3 days.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

You guys may have saved me about $200. My plan of attack is to bring the car in tomorrow to Sears or somewhere similar and have them check the battery to rule that out. Assuming the battery is within spec, next step would be to replace the starter. I'm checking the batter primarily because this problems seems to be exacerbated by cold weather. It's taking me north of 5 minutes the last couple of days to get the car going.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

for the question regarding part numbers for failed starters, I have been assuming that the failed solenoid issue was due to the high heat our engines produce, not really a problem with the starter specifically, more of a design flaw by not heat insulating the starter/solenoid well enough
    -justin

AZ Member #

^ That is correct. My understanding is that the heat is the major cause of the solenoid failure...technically, you could JUST replace the solenoid. Good luck with that, though. Better to replace the entire thing.
    Moderator/Wiseguy

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^exactly, and the new starter by valeo cranks up very quick compared to my old stock starter.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

advanced auto parts just tested my system & the starter & alternator look good. Battery is throwing off a couple of low numbers so I'm going to try that first. I'm in a Dec '04 build B6 so hopefully this is an easy one for me, but I've got a feeling I might be dropping $180 unnecessarily...

AZ Member #

Ok, I'm going to chime in on this issue again...and probably muddy the waters a bit.
    I have this issue and it pisses me off every morning.

I'm not convinced that this issue is rooted in either the battery, starter or solenoid (I do agree that the issue is worse in the cold, but not gone completely in warm weather).

A couple months ago, I had a catastrophic clutch failure and had the clutch, flywheel, TO bearing, slave cylinder and a bunch of other things replaced. When I got my car back, this starting issue was completely gone for about 2 weeks. Car started immediately every time no matter how long it sat. This evidence/symptom #1.

My work-around fix to get the car to start on the second attempt (almost never starts on the 1st attempt), is to push the clutch pedal down extremely slowly and with pressure to the left. This is evidence/symptom #2.

The issue only pops up if the car has sat for more than 5/6 hours...when it's cold. If this was an excessive heat related problem, why does it not happen when the car is warmed up? Evidence/symptom #3.

I think this is an issue with the pedal or the clutch switch or something related...not sure what, but, based on my experience (described above) I don't see how it could be the battery, starter, or solenoid.

My $.02 on the issue.

AZ Member #

^ Do you want my honest opinion? I think all that other nonsense is in your head. Truthfully, I thought the same thing..."if I just hold it this way, twist it that way, push the clutch in slow, blah blah blah." No offense, but it's only $200 to make your life a little bit easier.

My real answer, everyone knows how much heat these engines put out. When at operating temperatures, balls out driving, stop and go traffic, etc. - the heat being released under the hood is putting a lot of stress on the components - including the starter/solenoid. All that adding up over the years, and it's finally failed (close to failing).
    Moderator/Wiseguy

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalS4Avant View Post
    ^ Do you want my honest opinion? I think all that other nonsense is in your head. Truthfully, I thought the same thing..."if I just hold it this way, twist it that way, push the clutch in slow, blah blah blah." No offense, but it's only $200 to make your life a little bit easier.

My real answer, everyone knows how much heat these engines put out. When at operating temperatures, balls out driving, stop and go traffic, etc. - the heat being released under the hood is putting a lot of stress on the components - including the starter/solenoid. All that adding up over the years, and it's finally failed (close to failing).
    I hear what you're saying...and I don't discount that it is possible.

But explain why after I got my clutch & flywheel (etc. ...to the tune of $4300) replaced, the car started perfectly for about two weeks.

Clutch in, turn key, fired right up. I was psyched...figured I killed 2 birds w/one stone. Not so much...as it progressively went back to where it was before: clutch in, turn key, lights on dash come on, no start. Pull key out, wait a few seconds, push clutch in really slow and push clutch pedal to the left, turn key, hold it for about 5-10 seconds, car starts.

Whatever the root cause and ultimate resolution is...it's a pretty bizarre issue.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

in the old days, when the solenoid was acting up we would just crawl under the car with a hammer in hand, give it a few good bangs and then it would fire right up

perhaps all the work you had done had a similar effect on your solenoid

the simple fact of the matter is that this issue is well known to be caused by a bad solenoid, so if you're looking elsewhere, you're starting at the wrong place
    -justin

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    F80 M3, E60 M5

Monkey> I did have my clutch switch replaced. But it didn't help.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Car started up relatively fast this am, but there was still a slight delay between turning the key and the car firing. I'll probably just eat the batter cost, but I suspect replacing my starter will be my next move. That Audi is claiming they haven't heard of this problem is really ridiculous.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

For you mechanic types, installing a new batter seems to have helped, but there's definitely still a delay between turning the key and the car starting. Wouldn't the fact that the battery seems to have helped ruled out a switch being the cause of the problem? I don't know squat about how this stuff works, but would imagine that if a switch is bad (clutch or ignition), battery power should have much impact - if any - on that part working. Indie shop originally told me clutch switch and ignition, but assuming the improvement gained from the new battery doesn't help, starter would probably be my next route.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    For you mechanic types, installing a new batter seems to have helped, but there's definitely still a delay between turning the key and the car starting. Wouldn't the fact that the battery seems to have helped ruled out a switch being the cause of the problem? I don't know squat about how this stuff works, but would imagine that if a switch is bad (clutch or ignition), battery power should have much impact - if any - on that part working. Indie shop originally told me clutch switch and ignition, but assuming the improvement gained from the new battery doesn't help, starter would probably be my next route.
    When some of the original B6's started to have problems with this, they usually went the following route: battery > clutch switch > starter. Most found that while replacing the battery and clutch switch may temporarily relieve symptoms, most of the time, they came back, and weren't ultimately solved until the starter was replaced.

It's not bad to rule out the first two, but it may save headache of having to deal with the issue over and over to just go to the starter in the first place.
    Moderator/Wiseguy

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4 Avant 6MT

Mine has done this not starting thing for a few months now. I replaced the battery and it seemed to help for like a week. I've found that I actually have to jump the battery and it fires every time, but my battery is not dead!!! I don't get it!

Veteran Member Four Rings Silver B6 S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 PT Cruiser GT Stage 2

^^^^ OT, but pics of your Nogaro avant ASAP!

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

So much for the battery. Allowed the car to sit overnight and most of today and tried starting it up and was right back @ square one. Ordering the starter tonight.

Senior Member Three Rings 93hrdtptt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 S4-Nogaro Blue 6spd, 2000 Yamaha R6

Sorry to somewhat bring this thread back, but I feel like these types of issues always start when the cold weather ensues. My car had been acting up for about a month now, finally yesterday it finally decided to take a dump and not start at all.

So, we did a nice little bump start, got it over to the shop and attempted to start it immediately after shutdown...Nothing... So I'll be installing the starter today, and see what the conclusion comes out to.

Car just rang in at 76,9xx.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

That's interesting, because in my case once the car gets started, the problem goes away. If more than say 4 hours elapsed between the time the car was shut down and when I attempted to restart it, the delay would be there. but once started, there wouldn't be any problems getting the car to crank up again within that 4 hour window.