Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Adam@SPP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    D4 A8l/Street Glide Special

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    ^ Carbon?

S8's we can do now...S6/7/8's are huge market for us...but they're a cast iron rotor.
    we're a 1-piece factor fit company, so we stay within the OE perimeters of cast replacements.
    adam | adam's rotors inc. | info@adamsrotors.com | est. 2006
    customizable factory-fit brake rotors, made-to-order | adamsrotors.com
    follow/like/@/tag @adamsrotors on twitter, instagram, & facebook | #adamsrotors

Established Member Two Rings MCMLXIX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I didn't mean that you guys make the carbon rotors... I was wondering if the bigger S8 monoblock(?) calipers were a direct bolt on upgrade to a A8 (or 2016 A8L in my case) and add a set your steel rotors.

I don't know if the calipers from the carbon package are bigger than the standard calipers from the S8 package, but I know they are better than the A8 calipers. I also don't know the rotor sizes but I think I saw 350mm and 380mm.
    Last edited by MCMLXIX; 02-10-2017 at 02:28 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^ not familiar with it...
    I just know we DO offer S8 rotors, which I assume would work with any S8 caliper, as I only think there is only one fitment.
    either way yes, the S8 caliper is NOT the A8 caliper...although, my D4's brake set-up is plenty for us...we love it!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

follow us on IG: @adamsrotors

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A8 W12, 2013 Q5 Hybrid, 2015 S8

I want to test again--out of interest. Are you doing rotors, and yes OE style, for D4 A8, C7 S7 and the others that use the 400mm factory non CCB set up? Essentially the same question relative to the 380mm set up found on D4's with smaller motors stock, as well as the SQ5. The same unusual design is also found in the 365mm set up for the first gen R8 and the RS5's, putting aside the later scalloped style tweak to these. I have seen various answers, and not completely sure I can make sense of the thread here. Also to be clear, the D3 S8's (or D2 or C6 S6) are conventional single piece cast and little doubt you have or can do those. But these are not the typical cast iron starting point blanks, whether OE suppliers or otherwise.

Underneath as you may know the rotors on the factory D4 S8, C7 S7 and others in 400mm non-ceramic are not classic single piece cast iron either. They are an alloy center hat mounted with permanent pins to the cast iron rotor/swept area. Essentially like a two piece, but factory and no bolts. The design is proprietary from an obscure Euro supplier with rights co shared with Audi and BMW. Same design rotors first seen on prior M6. The basic idea of course is to take a bunch of weight out of the rotor, which on D3 S8's in 385mm cast iron has reached a very porky 39 pounds. A guess is the only available blanks for these newer D4 and C7 fitments are from the regular dealer distribution channels. So, are you really supplying your custom machined (nice!) rotors for these fitments, specifically 400mm for C7 S7, D4 S8, etc.? If so, are they that underlying OE design with the pins and alloy hat, or are they from an alternative cast blank (which I haven't heard of)? When I asked a fair while ago, the eventual answer came back that your business apparently actually wasn't. There is a waiting market, but how to deal with a proprietary design is probably more challenging for you. But since you own one now (!), I'm hoping that may also help solve the unusual spec. requirements. Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^ right...we source OE blanks for the D4S8/7/6's.
    we do them almost daily it seems and our patterns are a greta match for these units/cars.

regarding D4 A's, there is still no aftermarket solution for front discs, so the same as above, we source factory units. there are rears we can obtain from our traditional aftermarket sources.

if you have more questions or I didn't answer yours, please email us directly...we can talk more there.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A8 W12, 2013 Q5 Hybrid, 2015 S8

Quote Originally Posted by Adam@SPP View Post
    ^ right...we source OE blanks for the D4S8/7/6's.
    we do them almost daily it seems and our patterns are a greta match for these units/cars.

regarding D4 A's, there is still no aftermarket solution for front discs, so the same as above, we source factory units. there are rears we can obtain from our traditional aftermarket sources.

if you have more questions or I didn't answer yours, please email us directly...we can talk more there.
    Thanks. Good to know!

So from your confirm, you can do D4 S8's now. I take it the rotor metal type option on your web order page doesn't apply since you are machining the OE rotor. Correct, for both front and back?

Also I read through your FAQ's on drilling and dimpling. Interesting that you say the soft clicking is air related. I got a set of drilled + slotted on D3 W12 from another supplier--also OE blanks underneath. There was no clicking or other obvious sound initially, but it came up over time. I thought it might be a pad issue, but finally traced it to built up dust blocking drilled holes, particularly near center. Cleaned them out with a drill bit by hand, and no more clicking. Then for the question: if you do dimpled, is it on both sides? I expect the drilling would be through/both sides. I'm assuming the slotting is on both sides if a performance element, but as FAQ's say, dimpling is more in cosmetic realm.

Finally, is slotting (or drilling) directional/by side of vehicle? I don't think I saw that mentioned explicitly or in FAQ's, but it seemed to be directional in some pics with what looked like rotors from both sides of vehicle; some other pics showed slots running one way or other/opposite too. Guessing it is directional, but then I owned a Mini R56 JCW where one direction is all they offered.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^ yup and we have been...S8's are loaded in the store.

you need to order them G4000. for one it covers the rears, but that is also factored into the price for the fronts.
    (or website has some limitations of coding the backend, so we did it that way to make things easier)

yup, and as stated it can* cause sound...not always and vary per application. they all are different.
    for example R32's tend to be super noisy...A3's are nearly silent. who knows...caliper size, rotor spec, design, and pad used also does make a difference.

the machining is always both sides and directional, yes of course...we do things right!
    the direction the pattern leans makes no difference, so the customer can pick. it's the internal venting that needs to be installed correctly, tho 90% of rotors are non-directionally vented.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

hope everyone had a great weekend!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

back to our roots! the adam's rotors D4 A8L:

Veteran Member Three Rings Dr Chill's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Adam@SPP View Post
    back to our roots! the adam's rotors D4 A8L:

What wheels are these and their specs? Sweet ride.
    Current- 2017 S6 , 2015 Z/28, 2015 A8L TDI, 2013 S4 DSG

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^ flow forged TSW's...shoot us an email and we can set you up!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

TGIF!!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

what a busy couple weeks. the office is officially moved over and it's business as usual...enjoying the rest of the weekend!

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You have anything for a 2015 a8, v6 gas fronts

AZ Member #
    My Garage

shoot us an email or use our webstore for quotation. we're working on new stuff across the board.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

the AR D4:

AZ Member #
    My Garage

it's the first day of summer but we've been feeling it here in the office for over 2 straight weeks of 100-110 degrees!!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

people often forget about the rotors they place directly behind they're expensive, elaborate, thought-out custom wheels...what a difference it can make.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

#stocksucks | an upgrade like this makes all the difference

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345