Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings RockyMountainB5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Removing SAI, PCV, and how to pass emissions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    From what i understand, deleting the SAI and PCV systems will throw a CEL, but should i still be able to pass emissions?
    Here in CO the only test done is a tailpipe-pollutants test - no computer test, no engine compartment air test.
    http://www.aircarecolorado.com/im240tst.htm

So, if i delete my SAI and PCV, and clear my CELs, i should be able to pass emissions? The amount of pollutants being seen at the tailpipe will not change, correct?
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQMS

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Re: Removing SAI, PCV, and how to pass emissions

You would need to see if APR has a SAI delete file. Also, you can send a PM to k0mpresd. For $50, he can set readiness for your ECU.

Senior Member Two Rings RockyMountainB5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What is readiness, precicely?

I talked on the phone with a rep over at Avalon Motorsports today, and essentially he told me that removing the PCV and SAI would show no difference in the emissions seen at the tailpipe. SO i guess that means i should be OK.

On another note tho, if i remove my SAI and put a blockoff plate on - and take out the PCV system and put a catch-can on, how is all the Blow-by being vented from the crankcase?? Does it just go out the same tube that runs to the catch-can?
    2001.5 A4 1.8TQMS

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I am no expert. You would need someone else to chime in. But the readines is basically having your emission parts pass so you don't throw a CEL. You can remove the parts that you want, but you will get a CEL for them unless you have them written out of the ECU.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainB5 View Post
    What is readiness, precicely?

I talked on the phone with a rep over at Avalon Motorsports today, and essentially he told me that removing the PCV and SAI would show no difference in the emissions seen at the tailpipe. SO i guess that means i should be OK.

On another note tho, if i remove my SAI and put a blockoff plate on - and take out the PCV system and put a catch-can on, how is all the Blow-by being vented from the crankcase?? Does it just go out the same tube that runs to the catch-can?
    Yes, you should be OK as long as they don't care about your Check Engine Light. Your catch can should have 2 connections, 1 in and 1 out. The out is where the blow-by goes. Depending on how you hook it up, it either goes back to the intake (with the appropriate PCV valve(s) and check valves), or you just vent to atmosphere, usually through a filter on the outlet of the can.

While eliminating all the PCV stuff is nice, there are reasons other than emissions that the PCV goes into the intake. It turns out having a slight vacuum on the crankcase is beneficial in evacuating the blow-by gases, which is good for keeping contaminants out of the oil and other things.

Veteran Member Four Rings Euromike's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    what garage?

Im in PA, and removed my SAI pump. It threw a code, and the car would not pass the readiness test. Here, you cant pass emissions with a CEL related to emissions (yes, sai code counts) and you have to pass readiness (which it wont without any pump). Dont do it!
    12' Tornado Red GTI DSG
    07' 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    99' Laser Red B5 A4 QM SOLD :(