Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: TIG Welders

Veteran Member Four Rings CO AVANT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars being worked on
    Items for Sale

TIG Welders

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey RAI, what kind and brand of TIG welder do you guys use for fabrication?

Registered Member One Ring George@R.A.I's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    More Headaches

Re: TIG Welders

Brand: Miller

Model: Syncrowave 250 DX
    Last edited by George@R.A.I; 10-28-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings pondside36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AWE powered B6 1.8T

Miller is top notch for all you welding needs. Can't wait to our new all in one shop unit on the ship.
    Goodwood Green is money...$$$$
    Arclight "You need to post pics already Pondside - enough w/ the prom dress teaser BS!"

Veteran Member Four Rings JDM EJ1 95's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Nogaro S4 Stage 3

I know im not RAI.. but i use a sync 200 and i love it.
    Nogaro 01 s4

24v 2.9L VR6. 6466. Pump gas 10.7 @ 132

620whp 93octane
    806/767 whp/wtq on C16
    10.4 @ 136 C16 (bad slipping clutch)
    138mph best trap with slipping clutch.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 VW Jetta TDI 48MPG!, 1998 F150

I have a Hobart 250. If it wasn't so darn cheap, I had my eye on the Syncrowave 250. Great machine. I guess you would call it the standard by which all others are judged.

Sit Down, take a look at it, take it apart, and FIX it!

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The 250 is a great machine when it's for commercial use, most fab shops would have this or equivalent. Honestly I would reccomend the Hobart machines for personal use. It's not the machine that makes the weld better. It's the man using it. The torch is very important, it's probably more important to pay attention to the torch and the accesories used then the machine itself.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars being worked on
    Items for Sale

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I've heard great things about Miller brand welders in the past. Also heard good things about Lincoln. I finally got a 220V 50A outlet plug in my garage this year so it's time to start saving up for a good welder. I've welded in the past but not nearly enough to say I can do it worth a shit. Gonna start by welding scrap pieces together for hours on end.

Are the foot control operated units the easiest to work with?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    More Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by CO AVANT View Post
    Are the foot control operated units the easiest to work with?
    You betcha.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

i use one from Miller. its nice and easy tool for welds. actually recommended as the best

Senior Member Three Rings MartyinCO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati Monster 900

I use a Miller also, with foot control

It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem.
    Malcolm Forbes

Senior Member Four Rings Jake39454's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Horsepower injected Audis

Jordan, you would be best with a Miller Diversion 165 imo... We use a 250DX luquid cooled here but it's almost too difficult to setup for basic daily tasks, and it's surely too much for your average diy'er (esp for the price!).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars being worked on
    Items for Sale

Well my Audi tech buddy Forest picked up a brand new Miller syncrowave 250 DX a couple weeks ago. Gonna be in my garage for awhile though. Started just doing some basic welds with aluminum and steel. Steel is much harder to tig well IMO. This machine is a beast to say the least. We were needing to weld 1/2" aluminum to make a motor plate and the breaker kept kicking. It's only a 50A breaker but the machine says that 50A is okay. Guess not for that application. Gonna have to get a 100A breaker installed ASAP.

I still need tons of practice.

Registered User Four Rings Sales@RAI's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Jordan you should see George weld now he's a beast... I might stay after this winter while I'm working and make something random

Veteran Member Four Rings alexza4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    15-S5||13-X5

^must be nice to be able to learn from Ian both you guys... :)
    2015 S5 3.0T
    2003 A4 QM EFR 6758 on meth - SOLD :((

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings PAT@RSW's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW M4, SQ5, SL65 AMG
    Items for Sale

We also run Miller Machines here ! You Gotta spring for the water cooler / water cooled torch as well !
    .: Redline Speed Worx :. 908.223.7477
    Tri-State's Master APR Performance Center
    German Automotive Repair, Performance & Fabrication

Shop Life - Click Me ! | We Complete Specialty Alignments !

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars being worked on
    Items for Sale

The machine has the water cooler built in. It only kicks on when things get pretty hot. We ended up putting in an 80A breaker cause 100A would have been a PITA for what we were working with. Have not popped the 80A breaker yet and did some major welding on 1/2" aluminum plate!

Did I mention that I still can't weld for shit! LOL. My buddy Forest is quite good at it though...

Veteran Member Four Rings your daddy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    NOW-02 337, 08 A4 Ti,08 RS4/Ti/AE, 10 Tiguan sel THEN-01 S4, 92 gti vr6,90 corrado, many mk2s/mk3s

Quote Originally Posted by CO AVANT View Post
    Well my Audi tech buddy Forest picked up a brand new Miller syncrowave 250 DX a couple weeks ago. Gonna be in my garage for awhile though. Started just doing some basic welds with aluminum and steel. Steel is much harder to tig well IMO. This machine is a beast to say the least. We were needing to weld 1/2" aluminum to make a motor plate and the breaker kept kicking. It's only a 50A breaker but the machine says that 50A is okay. Guess not for that application. Gonna have to get a 100A breaker installed ASAP.

I still need tons of practice.
    preheat the Al
    Rick autoengineering.com
    -AWE Tuning-JH Motorsports-034 Motorsport-ECS tuning-Forgeline, plus many more

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1961 Lincoln Continental

Quote Originally Posted by Ray@R.A.I View Post
    The 250 is a great machine when it's for commercial use, most fab shops would have this or equivalent. Honestly I would reccomend the Hobart machines for personal use. It's not the machine that makes the weld better. It's the man using it. The torch is very important, it's probably more important to pay attention to the torch and the accesories used then the machine itself.
    I have to agree. (Not as claiming to be an audi guru, by any stretch), but coming from the military aircraft fabrication side, the equipment that we had was less than great most of the time. This left us with the need to get as good as we could with the gear that was around, and the work that we put out turned out looking just as good as the stuff made in country. Everything from tilt of the hand, to patience helped.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars being worked on
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by your daddy View Post
    preheat the Al
    That takes extra time and time if of the essence. Have not popped the 80A breaker yet with 1/2" AL... so no need to preheat anything.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 A4, 49 Ford p/u,

Preheating is advised at times to prevent element breakdown of the metal being welded. Anything beyond 1/8" I'll usually preheat in Al. Holding your torch in the weld path too long to make a good puddle can make for a bad weld also.

Heres some stuff that was done with a 12 yr old lincoln of mine. No special features.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0857_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0870_large.jpg

Veteran Member Four Rings Raacerx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 S3
    Items for Sale

So how about a TIG welder for those of us on a budget? My old Miller stuff all got stolen, but I am finally ready to start doing some stuff and I need something for mild home use (manifolds, etc). Any suggestions? Its been so many years since I've done any welding that I am fully out of the loop. I remember how much nicer it was to use a nice torch, but Ive also never used a crappy machine either.
    The Best Things in Life Are Free... Or Heavily Discounted!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    More Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by California Jay View Post
    Preheating is advised at times to prevent element breakdown of the metal being welded. Anything beyond 1/8" I'll usually preheat in Al. Holding your torch in the weld path too long to make a good puddle can make for a bad weld also.

Heres some stuff that was done with a 12 yr old lincoln of mine. No special features.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0857_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0870_large.jpg

I saw your work over at BF.c (is that Dave's M6 btw?)

Beautiful Welds!

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Raacerx View Post
    So how about a TIG welder for those of us on a budget? My old Miller stuff all got stolen, but I am finally ready to start doing some stuff and I need something for mild home use (manifolds, etc). Any suggestions? Its been so many years since I've done any welding that I am fully out of the loop. I remember how much nicer it was to use a nice torch, but Ive also never used a crappy machine either.
    hobart is probably fine. lincoln and miller are a bit more. again its the man not the machine.

Forum Moderator Four Rings blacka4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dodge RAM 1500 2008 HD FXDSE2
    Items for Sale

i''m not a shop but I have the Miller syncowave 250 at home...
    -Rob - Moderator - PM Me!

RIP:1999.5 Audi A4 1.8TQ Tip Brillant Black
    2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Crew Cab Sport - AZ Plate Frame - Bone Stock otherwise
    HD SE Dyna

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I used to have a sync 200, now I have a Dynasty 350. Also use a Lincoln 310 Invertec occasionally contracting for R&D.

Veteran Member Three Rings Angular's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 S4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Raacerx View Post
    So how about a TIG welder for those of us on a budget?
    I'm rolling the dice and going to try a Chinese made welder from Everlast. Apparently these things are selling like hotcakes since Jody Collier (of weldingtipsandtricks.com) started posting videos using 250EX model. If my livelyhood depended on it, I'd spring for a Miller or something else. Since I sit at a desk writing software for a living and this is just a hobby, I can afford to be down for a week or two if the thing breaks.
    Wider is Better

Established Member Two Rings drhoadsveersixx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    subaru impreza wagon

ever one should check out the new eastwood tig 200 amazing machine for 900 bucks
    Xbox gamer tag drhoadsveersixx

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I play around with a Linoln. It is a Nascar series one. Works awesome except the 60 percent duty cycle is annoying

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm starting off with the harbor freight unit i bought for $150 on ebay. I have no shame. haha it actually welds pretty decent. I'll step up to a better welder soon. The cost of everything else was the catch. Bottle of argon was $260, wiring, consumables, flowmeter, helmet, protective gear, etc all add up.
    2001 A4 Avant 2.0t comp CT4 5858 Maestro Tune
    2012 Volkswagen CC TSI 6 speed.

Veteran Member Three Rings Angular's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 S4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
    I'm starting off with the harbor freight unit i bought for $150 on ebay. I have no shame.
    Nothing wrong with that if you just need DC for steel and not a ton of amperage. I've heard they do pretty good for the money. You can always sell & upgrade later with no guilt or regret.

So far so good with my Everlast unit. Had some shipping damage and few kinks to work out but it's all good now. Upgraded from the crappy factory supplied torch to a CK-200 with the Superflex cables and a gas-saver lens too. MUCH better!
    Wider is Better

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

exactly. seems to work ok for me for little projects. The skeleton of all the other equipment is there. The wiring and extension cables and NEMA plugs were $$. probably have $200 into the extension cable to my welder 25ft. I'm still learning this craft though. Here is a pic, I think i needed a little more heat into this weld. I'm still only on my first bottle of argon so I def need more practice with my feed hand. I'm using about 90 amps, 3/32" grey tungsten, about 10 cfm of argon on a #4 cup. some feedback would be nice.

2001 A4 Avant 2.0t comp CT4 5858 Maestro Tune
    2012 Volkswagen CC TSI 6 speed.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 a4 quattro 1.8t atw , 1986 scirocco 16v

I am a aerospace certified tig welder and do custom fabrication work for race cars. pre heat is the best idea for aluminum also if your tripping the breaker all the time look into inverters we use them all the time in racing due to their portability more technology and more capabilities crammed into a smaller package they run off of 110 or 220 on less amperage ie wont trip breaker well welding with high amperage. also Lincoln electric has an inverter where you can set what the starting amperage of your pedal so it dosent start at 0 amps. i live in cleveland where lincoln electrics world headquarters is so pretty much every shop around here uses lincolons
    more boost scottie, im givin her all shes got captain
    2000 a4 quattro atw 1.8t(custom tune, cat back exhaust, konis with h&r springs, ebc yellowstuffs with slotted and dimpled rotors, continental extreme contact dws tires

Active Member One Ring SdamiSalami's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Hibiscus 00 S4, 08gsxr-750...History- Turbo S2K, 93FD, 97AFC high comp, several Jeeps

Miller Dynasty 200DX.... Makes me cringe seeing them go now on ebay for 3k all day long compared to that of what I purchased it for when it was first released, however absolutely worth its weight in gold for your garage shop custom needs. Gives the user the ability to do anything from quick touch ups to that meticulously fine tuned show quality bead we all desire. 110/220 option as well makes it nice to throw in the trunk and run to a friends to run a bead or 10.... Can't go wrong with it...

Veteran Member Four Rings aluthman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

AHP Alpha TIG 200X. So far, so good but I'm definitely still learning.
    -Adam

'07 DTM A4 2.0T|6MT|EFR 7163 Twin Scroll|DoTuning|Built Motor|Meth and other go fast stuff…
    '06 A4 2.0T Quattro - RIP (Best ¼ mile pass 13.634 @ 103.30)

Senior Member Three Rings Waspjr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wifes jacked up f350 on 24's custom paint job landrover lr3

The real question is thickness and material and a inverter (space) or a old solid state like the synchro wave or my power hungry lincoln 375amper
    I like the solid states i mean there is too much to go wrong on the new Chinese circuit boards on the new stuff. That being said my old lincoln is about 700lbs and guess what no one asks to borrow it ;)

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SdamiSalami View Post
    Miller Dynasty 200DX.... Makes me cringe seeing them go now on ebay for 3k all day long compared to that of what I purchased it for when it was first released, however absolutely worth its weight in gold for your garage shop custom needs. Gives the user the ability to do anything from quick touch ups to that meticulously fine tuned show quality bead we all desire. 110/220 option as well makes it nice to throw in the trunk and run to a friends to run a bead or 10.... Can't go wrong with it...
    I've worked at two different shops with a dynasty rig (both 350's)

Both shops have issues with reliability. Boards like to go on them.

I'm looking at a thermal arc rig for at home, as the shop i'm at now doesn't have any welders for me to abuse. A friend's got one, puts down good beads for the money in alum. (has HF/pulse)

Established Member Two Rings drhoadsveersixx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    subaru impreza wagon

Dynasty 700 here love it
    Xbox gamer tag drhoadsveersixx

Veteran Member Four Rings 88ninety9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Four rings and a long roof

We have a nice miller tig/mig setup. Dimension nt 450
    2002 Pearl/onyx S4 Avant

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Alpha tig 200. $700 a couple years ago. To this day I can't do a decent weld. I have not been practicing tho.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Audizine mobile app