Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Consumption

Established Member Two Rings Blackcoog's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Oil Consumption

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought a B7 S4 recently. The car has 70k on it but you'd never no it based on how it drives or looks. I flew out to AZ to drive it home. About 200 miles out of AZ the car popped a light for low oil. I stopped at a autoparts store and picked up some oil. The dipstick was at the minimum line and after adding 2 quarts it brought it up to full. I was steaming mad at that point but comforted a little bit because I could bring it in for service when I got home. Car was perfect the rest of the way home. I checked the oil regularly and it seemed like it might have moved down slightly but not enough to warrant any more oil. Trip was about 1700 miles and I averaged 23.5mpg which I was very happy with. If it is burning oil I'm not sure when it happens. The car doesn't smoke at startup or while running that I can tell. It runs perfectly. I did add another quart a few days ago because it was below the half way point on the stick. The extended warranty should transfer over in about a week finally so I'll bring it in for service shortly. What is normal for oil consumption on these motors? Based on my experience it looks like it has gone down about 1.5 quarts after 2k+ miles. I'd look into it more on my own because I do work on cars quite a bit but if the warranty will cover it I'd rather do that for now.

Thanks,
    Chris

Registered Member Four Rings schmally's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Nothing worth adding

Re: Oil Consumption

I have heard about 1 qrt per 4-5000 miles.
    Gcc's blacksheep

Registered Member Four Rings schmally's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Nothing worth adding

Oh and congrats on the car enjoy it..
    Gcc's blacksheep

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Thanks! I absolutely love the car. I should have bought one sooner.

Veteran Member Four Rings Dan[FN]6262's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stripped out stroker E30 and 98 C230 in middle of a LS/TH400 swap

that engine is known to chew through oil. if you call your audi dealer, they should be able to tell you what "normal" consumption is. also, you might want to get a bottle of seafoam and run it through your vacuum lines so that it cleans the intake valves. a bottle of that stuff is like 8 bucks and IIRC the dealer charges 300 dollars to clean the intake valves. one of the cons of FSI.
    EFR | 7163
    268/260 cams

I.E. Intake Manifold / 70mm
    Maestro [Dan Shank Super Tune™]

BoostManager+
    Meth Head

Veteran Member Four Rings Dan[FN]6262's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stripped out stroker E30 and 98 C230 in middle of a LS/TH400 swap

congratulations, id love to go for a 1700 mile road trip in my car. lucky bastard. lol

you have to get a exhaust for it.
    EFR | 7163
    268/260 cams

I.E. Intake Manifold / 70mm
    Maestro [Dan Shank Super Tune™]

BoostManager+
    Meth Head

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 A4

check the pcv lines around the engine..my a4 was burning at least that much oil, it turned out being an annihilated S hose in my pcv system and it was blowing out the oil and burning up on the top of my transmission, which is now a wicked mess. not sure what lines are on the S4 but it may be a good place to start, took me a while and a whole lot of F-bombs before I saw the gaping maw of a hole! good luck, be thankful for the warranty!

Senior Member Three Rings MonkeyBiz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jman25 View Post
    check the pcv lines around the engine..my a4 was burning at least that much oil, it turned out being an annihilated S hose in my pcv system and it was blowing out the oil and burning up on the top of my transmission, which is now a wicked mess. not sure what lines are on the S4 but it may be a good place to start, took me a while and a whole lot of F-bombs before I saw the gaping maw of a hole! good luck, be thankful for the warranty!
    Wouldn't there be a burning oil smell prevelent that would be very noticeable? In regards to the OP's motor losing oil at a high rate.
    2004 B6 S4 6-Speed MT - Black w/Alcantara

| ~ JHM ~ Magnaflow ~ Hotchkis ~ Hawk ~ Hankook ~ Hartmann ~ more to come...|

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Get used to it :)

I find cruising on the highway around 3K rpm for long periods of time is the worst for oil consumption.

Also be careful not to fill it full when you pull off the highway to top up the oil. You'll still have a lot in your valve train that hasn't drained down yet.

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4 MT6; B8 A4 2.0T Avant

PICS!

as for the oil thing, some of these cars eat a little more oil than others. Audi recommends 5W40 Castrol Syntec...but I think that's cuz Castrol pays them to.

Finally !!! NICHT UBERFULLEN !!!

running a hair low on oil isn't great, but overfilling could be ten times worse. Make sure you don't overfill.

and congrats! Sounds like a fun drive. I did that last year when I picked mine up in Atlanta.

Veteran Member Three Rings justinperkins's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 Avant & C5 A6 Avant Q

sounds like the PO left it pretty low on oil, no big deal

just check it regularly and top off when you get down to the min line
    -justin

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
    PICS!

as for the oil thing, some of these cars eat a little more oil than others. Audi recommends 5W40 Castrol Syntec...but I think that's cuz Castrol pays them to.
    Manual says 0W30 year round...

$.02

Veteran Member Four Rings channad's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S4 DTM; 2012 Q5 S-Line

I would suggest getting some high grade oil like Lubro Moly 5w40

my $.02
    Channa
    ---------------------------
    2012 Q5 - Black | Black | Premium Plus | S-Line | Nav | B & O
    2008 - DTM | Sprint Blue Pearl | Black leather/Alcantara | Navi | CF trim | OEM 18" RS4s

New DJ Mix!!

New music!!!

Veteran Member Four Rings Papachristou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Audi A4 USP,05 S4 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Dan[FN]Shank210 View Post
    that engine is known to chew through oil. if you call your audi dealer, they should be able to tell you what "normal" consumption is. also, you might want to get a bottle of seafoam and run it through your vacuum lines so that it cleans the intake valves. a bottle of that stuff is like 8 bucks and IIRC the dealer charges 300 dollars to clean the intake valves. one of the cons of FSI.

he doesnt have fsi bro...

OP, also consider it was low when you got it, lots of people never check the oil. give it time and see how it does. IMO these engines like getting wound out some.. my s4 used oil the first few thousand miles i got it (30k) however i keep her cleaned out if ya dig, and she hasnt used any since the last oil change ( i also went with lubro moly oil) it had dealer oil before....

check your air filter too!
    2004 A4 UltraSport
    APR 2+, Racetech FMIC, APR TIP, Southbend FE SS, Stasis 4:1 Center Diff, Neuspeed Exhaust/test pipe, Podi/VEI boost gauge, Stasis StreetSports, JHM Solid Short Shifter -1" Stern ACAs

2005 S4 Sprint Blue Cabriolet
    Stock but 1 of 150

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I just went 8300 miles on Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 in my '05 with 50K miles and did not have to add any oil between changes. Oil analysis came back great, and it looks like I could have gone 10K between oil changes.

A number of people have reported high oil consumption on this baord, and also oil leaks such as valve cover gaskets. I changed my valve cover gaskets about 5K miles ago, they were leaking down the front of the engine and down onto the belly pan. But even that leak was not enough to have to add oil.

Veteran Member Four Rings whartung's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkSJ View Post
    I just went 8300 miles on Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 in my '05 with 50K miles and did not have to add any oil between changes. Oil analysis came back great, and it looks like I could have gone 10K between oil changes.

A number of people have reported high oil consumption on this baord, and also oil leaks such as valve cover gaskets. I changed my valve cover gaskets about 5K miles ago, they were leaking down the front of the engine and down onto the belly pan. But even that leak was not enough to have to add oil.
    damn, i'm at 6k since my last oil change and my min oil light just came on a 2nd time. I'm getting it changed tomorrow though...done 50 miles with the min oil light however...
    2005.5 Sprint Blue Pearl Audi S4 Sedan 6MT
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkSJ View Post

My engine consumes a great deal of oil. There's no leaks in the engine anywhere, there's no blue smoke...but I have very dirty/sooty exhaust tips.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

funny you mention it, i bought a 06 audi in early 08 with about the same miles on it.

btw A4 2.0TDI and in a week or two i was already back at the dealer needing oil, i was like wtf you sell a car that dosnt have the oil full? they said it eats oil, but once i topped it up, it was a decent amount of time till i needed more :)

Veteran Member Four Rings serumk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 A4 quattro

I had a low oil come on only once (and that was the only time the engine ever appeared to run low on oil). It was after a lot of highway driving. I think what is actually happening is that the oil is getting burned on short trips, and getting replaced with other liquid like gasoline. When I drive it on the highway for a long time, the whole thing maintains a high temperature for a while and evaporates all of the non-oil liquid in the crankcase, and triggers a low-oil light.

In short, my sense is that the oil is burning off on cold start, but it doesn't actually trigger anything or become apparent on the dipstick until I've driven the car on a long highway drive when the unburned gasoline in the oil evaporates out.

Call me crazy, but that's my theory. It's just a theory, though - I don't really have a good way to test it.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Three Rings Dan@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

Jay's car with over 113k on it burns about a half quart every 1000 miles. Everything else on the engine checks and runs good, we run the hell out of the car but it is still pretty normal for an all aluminum engine.

Veteran Member Four Rings serumk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 A4 quattro

The consumption I hear about seems so variable. The last 5,000 miles I went, my oil level never moved on the dipstick. I'd say when it's burned oil, it's been under a quart per 5,000 miles.

Veteran Member Four Rings nimski62's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 B7 S4 6mt, 2002 b6 3.0Q

I burn 1qt/500mi like clockwork.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nimski62 View Post

500mi? Zionks...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Quote Originally Posted by Papachristou View Post
    he doesnt have fsi bro...

OP, also consider it was low when you got it, lots of people never check the oil. give it time and see how it does. IMO these engines like getting wound out some.. my s4 used oil the first few thousand miles i got it (30k) however i keep her cleaned out if ya dig, and she hasnt used any since the last oil change ( i also went with lubro moly oil) it had dealer oil before....

check your air filter too!
    It was definitely low when I picked it up which is why I added 2 quarts 200 miles after I picked it up. The consumption numbers I posted were based on adding even more around 2k miles later.

Thanks for the replies!

Chris

Veteran Member Four Rings Papachristou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Audi A4 USP,05 S4 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by nimski62 View Post

between oil every other fillup and 250 miles per tank, you are spending some money in the middle east!

i bought my car with 30k and changed the oil at 35k to lubro moly. i dont know how long it had been since it was last serviced, but i was amazed how clean the oil was. my a4 dirties it up like mad. i had planned to service this car every 5k but its only needed every 10k with as much oil as it holds
    2004 A4 UltraSport
    APR 2+, Racetech FMIC, APR TIP, Southbend FE SS, Stasis 4:1 Center Diff, Neuspeed Exhaust/test pipe, Podi/VEI boost gauge, Stasis StreetSports, JHM Solid Short Shifter -1" Stern ACAs

2005 S4 Sprint Blue Cabriolet
    Stock but 1 of 150

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4 MT6; B8 A4 2.0T Avant

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
    Manual says 0W30 year round...

$.02
    no...your manual says 0W30 because you have a 2004. OP has a 2005.5 and his manual says 5W40.

now take your two cents back

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
    no...your manual says 0W30 because you have a 2004. OP has a 2005.5 and his manual says 5W40.

now take your two cents back
    Interesting...I was not aware of this.

I'm sure I'll use the $.02 again here shortly...

Senior Member Two Rings blkonblkS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Interesting...I was not aware of this.

I'm sure I'll use the $.02 again here shortly...
    Yes they also switched from dino oil in 04 to fully synthetic in 05. They changed to heavier oil to deal with oil consumption issues. I have also heard that this change can help with the rattle on cold startup.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Me too I have to put oil in almost every time I get gas I put a litre in nearly every 500kms. it an oil whore!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 Avant Nogaro 6-speed MT

Quote Originally Posted by Dan@JHM View Post
    Jay's car with over 113k on it burns about a half quart every 1000 miles. Everything else on the engine checks and runs good, we run the hell out of the car but it is still pretty normal for an all aluminum engine.
    That's good to hear you can beat the living crap out of her at that high mileage and all she needs is a little more oil. And she is ready for more abuse...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

I dropped my car off at the Audi dealer to have the oil consumption checked. Normal consumption according to Audi is 1/2 qt per 600 miles. Based on what I've put in it looks like mine has burnt 3 quarts in 2400 miles which is outside of their spec. The dealer wants to change the oil/filter now ($110 with Castrol Syntec) and have me drive it for about 300 miles and then drain the oil so they can measure the remaining qty. My extended warranty through Zurich runs out in 400 miles or we'd go for a longer test. The catch is that Zurich won't pay for the oil test which is about $300 plus the oil change so I'm stuck with that bill :(. If the test shows that there is more than normal consumption then Audi has to find a root cause before Zurich will pay. I'm a little worried the test will show there is an issue and Audi won't be able to nail down a root cause. The dealer suggested that it was a leaky valve seal. I replaced all my plugs a few days ago and I didn't find any that were wet or caked with oil. They were black with carbon build up on them and all looked identical. A leaky seal would leave a puddle of oil on top of the valve in the head. I may do some investigating on my own before I bring it back in and hint at what it might be to the dealer.

Since the warranty I have is going to run out I'm thinking I may want to pay for another extended warranty through Zurich. I'm sure it will be a few k though.

Senior Member Two Rings e36graduate's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

del
    Last edited by e36graduate; 02-14-2010 at 06:09 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Quote Originally Posted by e36graduate View Post
    Bought her about 3 months ago....immediately changed oil not knowing what indi dealer was running. Had run about 6000 miles when first low oil light came on....topped off, changed the oil for the second time and never saw the code again....trying to change oil every 5000 with 0-30 mobile 1. Put about 15K since i bought her...and boy was that fun....just changed the oil for 3rd time and no problems with oil consumption. I do notice my oil filler cap is tough to get off sometimes and the paint is chipping away on the filler area.
    FYI when I had my oil light come on it was 2qts low. That means yours burned through 2qts in 6k miles. That isn't horrible but still an issue.

Senior Member Two Rings e36graduate's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

del
    Last edited by e36graduate; 02-14-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Bad news...mine doesnt use a lot of oil but Ive had her serviced and found oil deposit on two plugs......this means valve stem seals need replacing, may as well do the head gasket whilst the blocks taken to peices.....will be about $1600

Check you plugs guys.

My symptoms were:
    Small oil usage.
    Oily plugs
    Smoke puff from tail pipes under hard acceleration
    slight oil burning smell from tail pipe when driven hard.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Quote Originally Posted by s4boy388 View Post
    Bad news...mine doesnt use a lot of oil but Ive had her serviced and found oil deposit on two plugs......this means valve stem seals need replacing, may as well do the head gasket whilst the blocks taken to peices.....will be about $1600

Check you plugs guys.

My symptoms were:
    Small oil usage.
    Oily plugs

Normally you can replace valve seals by pulling the valve cover, pressurizing the cylinder, compressing the valve spring, and replacing the seal. I had it done on a motor I built a few months ago and it only cost about $300. Of course this motor could be completely different story but after working on it for a little while it doesn't look like there would be a reason to pull the motor for that.
    Last edited by Blackcoog; 11-05-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings SuperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s4boy388 View Post

Check you plugs guys.

My symptoms were:
    Small oil usage.
    Oily plugs
    Just because you have oil on the plugs doesnt necessarily mean that you have bad valve seals. A more obvious symptom of bad valve seals would be a puff of smoke on startup. This happens because as the car sits, oil filters down through the seals and into the chamber. When you start the car up, it burns this oil off. Smoke puffs under hard acceleration would be more attuned to bad piston rings or walls.
    2014 R8 V10 - Gated
    2005 S4 Avant 6 Speed - JHM Stuff
    2017 TRDoffroad 4 Runner

Veteran Member Four Rings SuperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcoog View Post
    Normally you can replace valve seals by pulling the valve cover, pressurizing the cylinder, compressing the valve spring, and replacing the seal. I had it done on a motor I built a few months ago and it only cost about $300. Of course this motor could be completely different story but after working on it for a little while it doesn't look like there would be a reason to pull the motor for that.
    The 4.2 is different because you have the timing chain setup in the rear. This needs to be taken apart to get to the seals.
    2014 R8 V10 - Gated
    2005 S4 Avant 6 Speed - JHM Stuff
    2017 TRDoffroad 4 Runner

Established Member Two Rings homeychan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 Cadillac SRX, 07 1098S, 05 B6 S4

My engine consumes a great deal of oil. There's no leaks in the engine anywhere, there's no blue smoke...but I have very dirty/sooty exhaust tips.
    Search on the 4.2 motor and you'll see oil consumption issues, including in my blog (signature below). I have been told by Audi 1/2 litre every 1500Kms is normal for that engine, mine used about double that. Audi has a bulleting out to replace crankcase breather for this issue, mine was replaced twice without success. If your car uses oil you must get your dealer to initiate and complete the process with Audi or they deny warranty. Solution to mine was a engine replacement, without Audi help even though the problem started at 41,000kms. Good luck. With high oil consumption you also get a lot of carbon build-up, mine was low compression in 6 cylinders I believe, so Audi had them remove engine, clean it and put it back in without success.
    S4 Oil Consumption?
    See my terrible experience with Audi corporate and how they took away my warranty:
    http://audiwarranty.blogspot.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

I received my oil consumption test results. It is burning about 1.3qts per 1k miles. No engine issues, no oil leaking, no blue smoke, plugs all look fine, and car doesn't seem to be down on power. They suggested a PCV valve replacement and then another oil test and I thought that was BS so I asked them to use a boroscope to check the cylinder walls. They called me back and the techs now all agree the motor needs to come out. They want to tear the motor down to find the issue. The car is under an extended warranty which requires the dealer to find the issue before they pay for it. I'm on the hook for $4k worth of engine work if they don't find anything. I talked to the Tech and he said with that amount of oil consumption he is going to find an issue so I shouldn't worry. I'm still very worried though. Crossing my fingers for now and hoping I get a new shortblock!
    Last edited by Blackcoog; 11-13-2009 at 08:27 PM.