Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Consumption

Veteran Member Four Rings iconoclast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Oil Consumption

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Dan[FN
    one of the cons of FSI.
    but he doesnt have fsi...

Established Member Two Rings homeychan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 Cadillac SRX, 07 1098S, 05 B6 S4

I had two PCV replacements and an engine cleaning, prior to the new shortblock, it is possible if you have too much crankcase pressure to push out oil, but I doubt thats your problem. I am confused how they could say you are responsible if they don't find a problem. That's not a risk you should have to accept, it's not your problem if they don't diagnose the problem right. Also remember each dealer quarterly gets a dollar amount to use for warranty at their discretion. Audi makes the dealers weigh the oil now and not measure it, so make sure they are following procedure or you could get the shaft, like me.
    S4 Oil Consumption?
    See my terrible experience with Audi corporate and how they took away my warranty:
    http://audiwarranty.blogspot.com

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4 2006 Passat Wagon 00 B5 S4 POS Honda
    Items for Sale

1 qt to every 4 -5 k miles were did you come up with that bogus number lol normal is about 1 quart per 1000 -1500 miles is about industry standard on oil consumption ive seen that number with many diff manifactures or 1 quart with every 100 gallons of gas used

Established Member Two Rings Blackcoog's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Quote Originally Posted by homeychan View Post
    I had two PCV replacements and an engine cleaning, prior to the new shortblock, it is possible if you have too much crankcase pressure to push out oil, but I doubt thats your problem. I am confused how they could say you are responsible if they don't find a problem. That's not a risk you should have to accept, it's not your problem if they don't diagnose the problem right. Also remember each dealer quarterly gets a dollar amount to use for warranty at their discretion. Audi makes the dealers weigh the oil now and not measure it, so make sure they are following procedure or you could get the shaft, like me.
    This is under an extended warranty so Audi isn't footing the bill. Fidelity is the warranty holder and they are aware of the issue. They will cover the cost as long as Audi finds a root cause which is why I'm on the hook if they don't find the cause. If they find the root cause Fidelity sends an inspector out to verify and pay for all the work including the fix.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Good luck Blackcoog. I recall a recent thread about Fidelity and extended warranties, and someone posted a link to some of the games they play, or it might have been Fidelis? Anyway, there was a prior long thread re oil consumption, and I'd say most chimed in around 1 qt every 1000-1500 miles, and something from Audi saying this was the standard for this engine. Some report less than 1 qt every 1K miles if they use LubroMoly. Good luck with the warranty. I think they'll find something. Might have them check the chain tensioners while they have the engine out. Anything else should be checked at that time guys?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
    Good luck Blackcoog. I recall a recent thread about Fidelity and extended warranties, and someone posted a link to some of the games they play, or it might have been Fidelis? Anyway, there was a prior long thread re oil consumption, and I'd say most chimed in around 1 qt every 1000-1500 miles, and something from Audi saying this was the standard for this engine. Some report less than 1 qt every 1K miles if they use LubroMoly. Good luck with the warranty. I think they'll find something. Might have them check the chain tensioners while they have the engine out. Anything else should be checked at that time guys?
    The Audi dealer said that Zurich is probably one of the best extended warranties to work with. I'll have them check the tensioners and clutch while it's out.

Thanks,
    Chris

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Good luck with the warranty, I missed that it was not an Audi warranty. The short block replacement fixed my problem, but then came the CEL problem which is still ongoing. The CEL is better than the oil, but still a pain. While my engine was out we replaced the clutch, mechanic siad it didn't matter what part he put back in the engine old or new. Here a clutch replacement is around $3k, the Audi clutch cost me $700.
    S4 Oil Consumption?
    See my terrible experience with Audi corporate and how they took away my warranty:

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4 MT6; B8 A4 2.0T Avant

hard to believe the guy who sold you the car never mentioned it may need a new engine!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
    hard to believe the guy who sold you the car never mentioned it may need a new engine!
    he may have had the same issue as me, the guy who sold me the car went to the dealer and they said it was normal. It took several visits before they acknowledged the car had a problem and started investigating in ernest. My process took 40,000Kms before they said you needed a new short block and by that time Audi denied my warranty. I just saw the guy that sold me the car, he feels really bad and has tried to help me on a few occasions.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Blackcoog, if you find the other thread I do recall someone doing a similar oil consumption test at the dealer where they drove it in, took the oil out, measured, put back in and then drove for some more miles, then reweighed it. I think the engine was out of Audi spec so it was replaced. Might want to find that thread and talk with that owner to see what they went through, and whether AOA got involved.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Blackcoog, if you find the other thread I do recall someone doing a similar oil consumption test at the dealer where they drove it in, took the oil out, measured, put back in and then drove for some more miles, then reweighed it. I think the engine was out of Audi spec so it was replaced. Might want to find that thread and talk with that owner to see what they went through, and whether AOA got involved.
    I've searched through pretty much all the oil issue threads. If the dealer doesn't find an issue I'll probably have them leave it apart and take it from there on my own. I'll pick it up and put it back together on my own to save the $2k. I should know by Tuesday or Wednesday if they find anything.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Welcome to Audi. They burn oil. Mine burns a quart every 2.5k miles. I did an oil consumption test, an Audi dealer in Dallas said spec is anything over 1 quart per 1k miles. So I would just get some extra oil. Also my CPO warranty will only do the oil consumption test once before I have to pay, so make sure you think it's out of spec.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcoog View Post
    I've searched through pretty much all the oil issue threads. If the dealer doesn't find an issue I'll probably have them leave it apart and take it from there on my own. I'll pick it up and put it back together on my own to save the $2k. I should know by Tuesday or Wednesday if they find anything.
    One of the posts about having the oil removed and weighed was me, I also have my full service records in my blog (see signature) Audi process is to weigh the oil now, not measure volume. My car failed a leakdown test and had low compression in most cylinders. did these guys check your compression before taking it apart? I had lots of oil gunk built up on top of my pistons. But this is not an Audi warranty, so not sure what your process will be.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

One of the posts about having the oil removed and weighed was me, I also have my full service records in my blog (see signature) Audi process is to weigh the oil now, not measure volume. My car failed a leakdown test and had low compression in most cylinders. did these guys check your compression before taking it apart? I had lots of oil gunk built up on top of my pistons. But this is not an Audi warranty, so not sure what your process will be.
    Yup, saw your thread and read through your blog. Sounds like you are having the worst luck ever with that car. Hopefully you are in the home stretch and that engine light is a minor fix.

I just called the dealer and asked them to run a leakdown test on the car before tearing into it. Apparently the tech that was supposed to work on my car still hasn't gotten to it yet and now he's out sick today. Do they assign techs to certain vehicles and keep them from shifting around? I could have been driving the car for the past 5 days.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yup, saw your thread and read through your blog. Sounds like you are having the worst luck ever with that car. Hopefully you are in the home stretch and that engine light is a minor fix.

I just called the dealer and asked them to run a leakdown test on the car before tearing into it. Apparently the tech that was supposed to work on my car still hasn't gotten to it yet and now he's out sick today. Do they assign techs to certain vehicles and keep them from shifting around? I could have been driving the car for the past 5 days.
    My car has been gone for the last 5 weeks, the original tech went on vacation and then they did not have a thermostat, that had to be ordered from the US. It has always been the same tech working on mine, I believe they try to keep one guy on the job, hope you have a loaner.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

My car has been gone for the last 5 weeks, the original tech went on vacation and then they did not have a thermostat, that had to be ordered from the US. It has always been the same tech working on mine, I believe they try to keep one guy on the job, hope you have a loaner.
    No loaner unless they find the issue. When they do find the issue the warranty pays for the loaner otherwise I'd have to pick up the tab. I car pool with my wife to work anyway and I pulled the summer car back out for when I need to use a car.

I'd be steaming mad if my tech went on vacation and my car was sitting there, unless of course they covered the loaner costs and the loaner was a decent car.
    Last edited by Blackcoog; 11-16-2009 at 02:47 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Update:

Audi started tearing into the motor yesterday. The Tech ran a leakdown test and all the cylinders were within 3% (very good). The tech even used a boroscope to look at each cylinder and check over the back two cylinders (4 and 8) which are common for failures. He didn't find any problems.

He pulled the intake off and noticed a decent amount of carbon build up in the intake and head ports (I stopped by and saw it as well). The valves weren't caked with oil ruling out a valve seal/guide issue. The plugs still look great. I even brought in the old plugs (labeled by cylinder) I pulled out about 500 miles ago so they could check them for issues. They were also good. The intake manifold did have some oil coming out of it when it was tipped on it's side sitting on the floor so at this point we decided to replace the PCV valve, put some miles on the car, and check the oil again. The tech didn't seem to think there was any problem with the valve but he didn't want to rip the motor apart without being absolutely sure the oil wasn't coming from that valve. He compared the valve to those from other cars in the shop and it didn't seem any different. Any thoughts or ideas?

The service rep did mention they were considering that I was trying to scam a motor out of them but based on my actions it didn't make any sense. If I was trying to scam a motor I would have made something fail and it wouldn't be driving any more. lol

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by Blackcoog; 11-18-2009 at 11:15 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Update:
    The service rep did mention they were considering that I was trying to scam a motor out of them but based on my actions it didn't make any sense. If I was trying to scam a motor I would have made something fail and it wouldn't be driving any more. lol

Thanks,
    Chris
    Scam a motor from the dealer? Don't they do the checks to verify something is wrong or not? I hope they find the problem, so it's covered for you.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Good luck - they could never unequivocally point to where all the oil was coming from in mine either, but short block fixed it. My car did have a lot of build-up on the pistons once they took it apart, did you ever notice the back of your car was sooty, I noticed that after a road trip on mine and it indicated it was coming out of the exhaust, just not enough to see smoke. Hey mine threw a new CEL now after the thermostat replacement, a pre cat code, they have no idea. Looks like we’re in similar shape, with mystery problems.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

Veteran Member Four Rings SuperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So an update to my oil consumption woes. I had the car in the shop over the past week. They took the valve covers off and inspected everything. Even had a boroscope down in each cylinder. Other than the driver's side bank being exceptionally covered in carbon, they couldnt find any issues. They checked to see if it was dripping down from the valve seals and guides - it did not appear that it was. They looked at the cylinder walls, they looked perfect. They did another compression test, there was nothing wrong there so the rings appear to be fine.

Finally they cleaned out each cylinders thinking it might be the oil collection ring. After the cleaning it sure runs much stronger, but my oil consumption issue persists. This is FREAKING annoying. At least I know my engine, other than the oil consumption is otherwise flawless.
    2014 R8 V10 - Gated
    2005 S4 Avant 6 Speed - JHM Stuff
    2017 TRDoffroad 4 Runner

Established Member Two Rings eweu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAvant View Post
    Finally they cleaned out each cylinders thinking it might be the oil collection ring. After the cleaning it sure runs much stronger, but my oil consumption issue persists. This is FREAKING annoying. At least I know my engine, other than the oil consumption is otherwise flawless.
    This is exactly why I had to lemon my S4. Audi never did find out why it was drinking so much oil and I was tired of playing the take-the-engine-out-and-guess game. So sad.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAvant View Post
    So an update to my oil consumption woes. I had the car in the shop over the past week. They took the valve covers off and inspected everything. Even had a boroscope down in each cylinder. Other than the driver's side bank being exceptionally covered in carbon, they couldnt find any issues. They checked to see if it was dripping down from the valve seals and guides - it did not appear that it was. They looked at the cylinder walls, they looked perfect. They did another compression test, there was nothing wrong there so the rings appear to be fine.

Sounds a lot like mine, and they actually took the engine out and "cleaned it", replaced the PCV (2nd time) to follow Audi procedure, and still used oil. Did they do a leakdown test too where they put some oil in the cyllinders and check compression with and w/o oil? Now instead of every 4 tanks of fuel, my oil light comes on about every 10, and this is within Audi consumption tolerance.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How did they clean the cylinders? Were the heads on or off? Mine burns oil, but Audi didn't look in the cylinders or clean them. The funny thing about all of this, is the Audi dealer here did the weigh test only. It seems like they would have similar procedures for this type of issue.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lidojuagon View Post
    How did they clean the cylinders? Were the heads on or off? Mine burns oil, but Audi didn't look in the cylinders or clean them. The funny thing about all of this, is the Audi dealer here did the weigh test only. It seems like they would have similar procedures for this type of issue.
    My entire engine was out, it was ridiculous, took engine out, removed heads, cleaned build-up on pistons, re-assembled, changed PCV, returned to me still burning oil. This was Audi procedure not dealer. Weigh process is the first step, if you are out of spec, then PCV or motor work is next.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Any update Chris? And, do the RS4's or B7 S4's also burn oil like the B6 S4's? If not, then that might explain the mysterious oil consumption problem with the B6 S4's? Did the aftermarket warranty cover all the work done thus far?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Any update Chris? And, do the RS4's or B7 S4's also burn oil like the B6 S4's? If not, then that might explain the mysterious oil consumption problem with the B6 S4's? Did the aftermarket warranty cover all the work done thus far?
    From the research I have done this issue seems to be with the 4.2 motor, B6 and B7. The RS4, I actually had a guy from Belgium email my about my problem and said he had been through 3 engines. I have also heard that the 2.0's have a similar problem, but that was from a dealer level - with again no acknowledgement from Audi corporate.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

I did update this thread but the post was deleted alone with a bunch of other posts that day due to forum issues.

I was pretty screwed over. The dealer ended up replacing the PCV. They didn't think that was the cause but they ran a leak down test (all within 3%), compression test (all around 180) and boroscoped the cylinders (looked good). There was a lot of oil in the intake which pointed them to the PCV. They checked the PCV and they thought it was fine but that is the only place oil could be coming from. They did mention to me that I may be trying to scam a motor from them which I found very unprofessional. The warranty did pay for the PCV but I had to pay for all the other diagnostic work which was about $1200. I will never buy a extended warranty for a car (this one came with it when I bought it). I will also be doing all of my own work in the future. I did get an audi survey in the mail which I happily filled out. The people were nice and tried to be helpful but ulitmately they were running around with their heads cut off. They came to me for help which I found odd. I know a lot about motors but the normal owner probably would have been clueless. They are the trained technicians they should know what to do. No idea if the problem is fixed but I'm doubting it. I'll continue to monitor it and post about it later.

Another annoying thing that happened during this. The windshield washer tank started dumping out fluid after the work. The dealer said it wasn't their fault. Odd coincidence I guess. They said it would be around $200 to fix (1hr labor and $20 part) and the warranty would not cover it. I happily declined their offer to fix it.
    Last edited by Blackcoog; 12-01-2009 at 09:05 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sounds like you are going through exactly what I went through! It sure is frustrating, I also filled out the survey and got a call back from Audi, all they did was talk, but nobody on the phone could actually help me. I got 3 call backs from Audi because of the surveys and all the same result, zilch. Sad part is the car is such a nice vehicle, but just has so many problems, and I could accept most of them if the manufacturer actually tried to help or had some compassion. Mine is still at the dealer - week 7. I think CPO would have covered all that work, next time MFG warranty.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Blackcoog and Homeychan, did you guys ever figure out where all your oil was going? Do you think it's being burned out through the exaust, which explains your black exhaust tips, or wouldn't that have burned the cats through already?

So the B7 S4's burn oil also at the rate of 1 qt every 1000 miles, which is within Audi's stated specs?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Blackcoog and Homeychan, did you guys ever figure out where all your oil was going? Do you think it's being burned out through the exaust, which explains your black exhaust tips, or wouldn't that have burned the cats through already?

So the B7 S4's burn oil also at the rate of 1 qt every 1000 miles, which is within Audi's stated specs?
    They replaced my short-block and now consumption is within Audi Spec, oil light came on once with new short-block, but was probably after 2000kms. The first time they said my car passed leakdown tests, second time they say it did not, so not sure, but it was coming out the exhaust, but not noticeable. Both my cats are pretty full of oil, one has been replaced. I have come across B7ís with this issue, but it does seem more localized to the B6. Incidentally dealer may now have my car done, they have replaced oxygen sensors, thermostat, and a coolant actuator, plus on-crossed the post cat sensors.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

They replaced my short-block and now consumption is within Audi Spec, oil light came on once with new short-block, but was probably after 2000kms. The first time they said my car passed leakdown tests, second time they say it did not, so not sure, but it was coming out the exhaust, but not noticeable. Both my cats are pretty full of oil, one has been replaced. I have come across B7ís with this issue, but it does seem more localized to the B6. Incidentally dealer may now have my car done, they have replaced oxygen sensors, thermostat, and a coolant actuator, plus on-crossed the post cat sensors.
    So, after Audi replaced your shortblock, the low oil light came on after only 1243 miles, and they said that is within "Audi Spec"? What kind of oil did they put it? Did you get your car back yet?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So, after Audi replaced your shortblock, the low oil light came on after only 1243 miles, and they said that is within "Audi Spec"? What kind of oil did they put it? Did you get your car back yet?
    The low oil light used to come on every 1200Kms, or 4 tanks, maybe my estimate was off, but it was probably double before oil light came on, after the short block. I really have not had the car long enough since April to know how much better it is, at most I have had for 3 weeks straight. I think it is Castrol the dealer puts in the car, but I am not sure. No I do not have the back car yet.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Good luck Homey. I hope it works out for you.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Black S4

Audi did call me about the survey I filled out but they didn't actually do anything about it. The lady only wanted me to make sure they had all the info and that was it. Then she gave me a number to call if I needed to talk to them. Seemed kind of odd if you ask me. How about having someone call me to talk about the issue. lol

I checked the dipstick on my car the other night and it looks like the oil is still going down. So it looks like the PCV didn't fix anything and I paid $1200 for a bunch of random tests. No puffs out the back and no black residue on the exhaust tips. I guess I'll keep a quart or two in the car for when it gets too low and leave it at that.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

There is currently an informative thread where someone is cleaning up and installing a used motor into his S4. I think he had compression and high oil usage issues. He posted that the gasket to the rear of the engine was leaking oil (see thread "replacing my engine" post 39):

"i did notice something interesting when we were disconnecting the drivers side driveshaft, the gasket for rear timing chain/engine cover was leaking, as well as the passenger side. There was oil all over the back of the motor. this may have been where I have been losing oil over time. I would jack up the front end and investigate that, does not hurt. I am planning to document the teardown, so i have pictures of the exact failure."

Perhaps that is where your oil is going blackcoog? I would think there would be drops on the driveway or oil you could see if it was from that gasket?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Update:

Audi started tearing into the motor yesterday. The Tech ran a leakdown test and all the cylinders were within 3% (very good). The tech even used a boroscope to look at each cylinder and check over the back two cylinders (4 and 8) which are common for failures. He didn't find any problems.

He pulled the intake off and noticed a decent amount of carbon build up in the intake and head ports (I stopped by and saw it as well). The valves weren't caked with oil ruling out a valve seal/guide issue. The plugs still look great. I even brought in the old plugs (labeled by cylinder) I pulled out about 500 miles ago so they could check them for issues. They were also good. The intake manifold did have some oil coming out of it when it was tipped on it's side sitting on the floor so at this point we decided to replace the PCV valve, put some miles on the car, and check the oil again. The tech didn't seem to think there was any problem with the valve but he didn't want to rip the motor apart without being absolutely sure the oil wasn't coming from that valve. He compared the valve to those from other cars in the shop and it didn't seem any different. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hey Chris, when you went by and saw the carbon buildup on the intake and head ports of your S4, did they look as bad as the pictures in these "Carbon Buildup on RS4" threads?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334489
    or
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=322587&page=2 (pics on page 2)

Just wondering if our S4's are as badly affected by Carbon Buildup as the RS4's, since you saw it yourself. Was the cause of your oil consumption finally resolved, and did you try to use Lubro Moly or RLI oil to fix the issue?

Senior Member Two Rings CtS4Driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 S4 6 speed sedan
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
    no...your manual says 0W30 because you have a 2004. OP has a 2005.5 and his manual says 5W40.

now take your two cents back
    That's interesting since my 04 manual specifies 5W30...
    and my car burned 2 quarts in about 1k miles with 100k on the clock...has anyone had any luck with different weight oils not burning off as much?

I saw another thread on here about the PCV valve being changed affecting the oil consumption drastically...
    Current: 2000 Imola 6MT sedan with Lots of goodies :)

SOLD:2004 Imola 6MT sedan with milltek, RS4 reps, and H&R
    SOLD: 2000 S4 Silver Onyx/Silver alcantara
    APR chip,Milltek Cat-Back,
    UUC SS 40%, APR Bi-Pipe,SnubMount
    Forge Diverter Valves,K&N, ASA wheels, V1 Display installed in rearview mirror,Stoptech 332 Big Brake kit,Vogland suspension,OCT boost gauge

Veteran Member Four Rings iconoclast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i know this may not mean anything, however in the past other marques have not resolved any issues with oil consumption however just told users to 20w50. (eg: bmw)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4

Anyone with a B6 S4 buring oil tried to use 20w50. And, did it lessen the burn rate?

Senior Member Two Rings Capt.Canuck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 S4

My '06 S4 is currently at my dealer with the engine out due to excessive oil consumption. Thank god for CPO!