Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings supamannn99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Car starts, then dies.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

Need a little input. When I start my car, the engine fires up, but then the RPMs begin to stutter, then dies right away. Then when I start it up, engine won't die if I rev it a bit, but still ends up dying after a few seconds. Idling is extremely rough and it's obvious that it's struggling to keep running. RPMs bounce up and down without me on the pedal. Feels like a fuel pump problem.

Videos are provided to help explain.

First video- the sound of the engine. In this video, I start it once, and dies. I start it again, rev two or three times, and then let it idle. It dies after a few seconds. You should be able to hear the engine rpm's going up and down struggling to stay running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AYxL6Ecv5U

Second video- view of the RPM gauge inside. I first start the engine, rev twice to around 2k rpm, then let idle. You can see exactly what I mean by the rpm's bouncing all over the place. I did not touch the gas pedal after the first two revs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60egWe1MAvk

I've read a lot of threads on here but I have never heard of this problem so far. One thing my car has is random fuel cuts and limp modes. Thanks in advance for any input.

-Kevin

Veteran Member Three Rings RJMars's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Car starts, then dies.

do u have two sets of keys? try your other one....this sounds like what happened to me...and all i needed to do was bring it to the dealer and have them reflash the key fob.
    Light Silver Metallic 2005.5 A4 2.0T, Quattro, MT
    ST Coilovers | "18 BBS RX wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's | LED Interior, citylights and license plate lights | Cupra Lip

Established Member Two Rings fEArmE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi

I had the same problem last time when the vac hose blown. Have you noticed massive air sucking sound when you pump the gas pedal??

Veteran Member Three Rings Latin Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '63 & '75 Nova
    Items for Sale

Suppaman,

That sounds EXACTLY like the problem I had a while back. Happened after I would drive around, park, then when I came to start the car back up it would start up and then instantly die. Or Id have to crank it a bunch.

It ended up being the in-tank fuel pump along with a faulty low fuel pressure sensor. Have not had the same issue since.
    Brilliant Red 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT
    APR 93 | Evoms CAI | RS4 Sway | CC | De-Badge | ECS Snub Mount | 5%| Ziza City Lights

Site Moderator Four Rings Stubek's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Element SC
    Items for Sale

are you getting a check engine light? if so, is it flashing?

Check the key fob first since that is easy and free
    Seems most likely to be a fuel problem (coil would run rough, but stay running)
    If you can change your own filter, do that. If not, take it to the dealer if you are under warranty. Fuel pump is probably giving you issues.
    Kevin - Moderator, Audizine

2011 A4 Avant Meteor Grey/Black, Titanium Package, Prem+ Nav, B&O. Euro LED Tail Lights, Tint, LED license plate lights, LED interior lights, custom sub, lots of VAG updates, Eurocode Alu Kruez, Hotchkiss F/R Swaybars

Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ead?highlight=

AZ Member #

I'm pretty sure it's not the key fob because while the engine is stuttering, I can smell unburnt gasoline coming from the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Latin Audi View Post
    Suppaman,

That sounds EXACTLY like the problem I had a while back. Happened after I would drive around, park, then when I came to start the car back up it would start up and then instantly die. Or Id have to crank it a bunch.

It ended up being the in-tank fuel pump along with a faulty low fuel pressure sensor. Have not had the same issue since.
    Yes, this is exactly what's happening. I thought something was blocking air from going into the engine.

Veteran Member Three Rings illegitimus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 B7 A4 Quattro Tip S-line

throttle position switch, meebee?

Established Member Two Rings Bart-Man's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 audi a4 2.0T

This happened to me to as well. It was my flap motor(if i remember correctly.)

Veteran Member Four Rings ElCapitan464's Avatar
    AZ Member #

blown head gasket, sounds really familiar to what i had, car starts idles horribly than dies, they found out it was a head gasket had gone
    GONE: B7 S4

GONE: B7 A4 stage 2+

FRRG Southern Ring Member

Veteran Member Three Rings illegitimus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 B7 A4 Quattro Tip S-line

Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan464 View Post
    blown head gasket, sounds really familiar to what i had, car starts idles horribly than dies, they found out it was a head gasket had gone
    is it accompanied by an oil leak or not necessarily?

AZ Member #

UPDATE for those who care

The problem was a boost leak where the hose for the boostgauge tapped into the intake manifold. Fixed it with just a few hose clamps.

Account Terminated Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 A4 S-Line, 2005 BMW M3

My car is now having this same problem and I have a boost guage as well.I'm hoping that the issue. What's the best way to check for a vacuum leak?

Registered Member Four Rings schmally's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Nothing worth adding

Trace to the point were you spliced for your boost gauge..
    Gcc's blacksheep

AZ Member #

inspect all hoses and fittings used to install your boost gauge. also, check your boost gauge at idle to see if it's around 10-20mm Hg vacuum pressure.

Veteran Member Four Rings staticuxo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by supamannn99 View Post
    UPDATE for those who care

The problem was a boost leak where the hose for the boostgauge tapped into the intake manifold. Fixed it with just a few hose clamps.
    good you found out that's what it was.. i was going to say i blew my hose off once the first day i installed my boost gauge and this happened. zip tie/clamp all the hoses!

B7 S4 AVANT- 6MT | FI 8" RES EXHAUST | FI HFC DOWNPIPES | H&R COILOVERS | OEM S5 19X9 'ROTORS' | CUPRA LIP | YAKIMA WHISPBARS | THULE 517 |

PREVIOUS:
    B8.5 S4 6MT | B8 S4 DSG | B8 S5 6MT | B7 S4 6MT | B7 A4 6MT

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by staticuxo View Post
    good you found out that's what it was.. i was going to say i blew my hose off once the first day i installed my boost gauge and this happened. zip tie/clamp all the hoses!
    yup! was a simple fix. went to local auto-store, spent a few bucks and clamped everything up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That's where it was before this started happening. So I should check it for the few seconds that it will stay running

Veteran Member Three Rings RJMars's Avatar
    AZ Member #

try both key fobs... this happened to me and all it was, was that one of my key fobs needed to be reflashed
    Light Silver Metallic 2005.5 A4 2.0T, Quattro, MT
    ST Coilovers | "18 BBS RX wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's | LED Interior, citylights and license plate lights | Cupra Lip

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cirlincione623 View Post
    That's where it was before this started happening. So I should check it for the few seconds that it will stay running
    yup.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah when the car is idling for the few seconds boost gauge is around 0psi

AZ Member #

Then check where the boost gauge is connected to the intake manifold.

Veteran Member Three Rings plokm's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I had a similar problem with my car... it ends up being the high and low fuel pressure sensor.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It cant be the boost gauge because I disconnected it today replugged the t-fitting and the car still didn't stay running...and im not getting a cel if it was fuel pressure sensor would i be?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Before this problem occured...I was having issues on and off with car running sluggish at times it sounded like it was sucking so much air but then it would clear and run great. I'm thinking it could be my forge dv has gone bad

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

DV or fuel pump but the reason why its dieing is because it doesn't have enough fuel supplying the motor from what is sounds to me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

This sucks because I'm at school not close to home at all so good thing my friend has a car trailer I'm going pull it back home and get it up on the lift and see whats going on by the DV...I will probably put the stock dv back in and see if she will run fine than at least I'll know the forge DV is the reason.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

***update***

Yesterday I tried starting the car again and it started up and idled okay but then I could hear it about to start acting up again so I decided to try and drive it around my campus,it was putting around and than I took it on a road brought it up to 40mph it struggled all the way there and all of a sudden it cleared car was running good and idling fine (its in stock mode btw).

I didn't want to chance turning the car off so I decided to drive it home just to get it there so I can work on it over the weekend I don't understand what the problem is it has to be the forge dv getting stuck and I guess got it to work for the time being. That solves my problem on getting the car back. On the way home however I got a cel. Any ideas on what could be going on?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cirlincione623 View Post
    ***update***

Yesterday I tried starting the car again and it started up and idled okay but then I could hear it about to start acting up again so I decided to try and drive it around my campus,it was putting around and than I took it on a road brought it up to 40mph it struggled all the way there and all of a sudden it cleared car was running good and idling fine (its in stock mode btw).

I didn't want to chance turning the car off so I decided to drive it home just to get it there so I can work on it over the weekend I don't understand what the problem is it has to be the forge dv getting stuck and I guess got it to work for the time being. That solves my problem on getting the car back. On the way home however I got a cel. Any ideas on what could be going on?
    You should go get a read on that CEL or take it into the dealer. Are you still under warranty?

It doesn't sound like a boost leak anymore and you might be right about the forge dv. Do you know where your boost gauge is tapped in?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Boost guage is tapped in to the t fitting that came with the forge dv and I'm actually in the process of removing the forge dv to see what's goin and looks like there's oil around the outside

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Update*** I pulled off the forge dv today cleaned and regreased it. I found a hole in one of the vacuum lines on the valve so I fixed that put everything back together and the car is still running like shit. The car threw misfire codes for every cylinder and something regarding the mass air flow sensor. Its going into audi on monday.

AZ Member #

should've taken it in before you took it apart!

goodluck.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I forgot to say also when I was driving it the traction control light came on and off randomly a few times...maybe i got an elctrical problem or a faulty scene

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

CRANKCASE VENT VALVE!!! Fixed rough idle and misfire!!!

I have been trouble shooting this for days. Same exact problem. Took it to Audi Certified shop, they looked at it for free and told me that it was timing, off a tooth. Wanted $500 to time it, or $900 to replace belt which was already replaced by the way.

Heres what I did and I'll tell you what fixed it.

1. Timed it one tooth off, then repeated it 4 more times to make sure it was no off more teeth. (failed to make a difference)
    2. Replaced the Cam shaft sensor because I was receiving code (failed to make difference)
    3. Replaced the Coil Packs (failed to make difference)
    4. Replace spark plugs (failed to make difference)
    5. Checked all vacuum lines and vacuum one way check valves (replaced 2 which I broke taking off, but failed to make difference)
    6. Replace Fuel Filter/Regulator (failed to make difference although old one seems plugged)
    7. Removed and cleaned air filter and then blew in intake hoses to find leak. No leaks (failed to make difference)

8. Replaced Crank Case Valve
    - This ******: http://www.carid.com/2005-audi-a4-ai...m-8791967.html (FIXED!!!)
    Ive also heard it being called a PRV valve, a Pancake Valve, and a Pressure Control Valve. THIS FIXED IT! AND ONLY cost about 50 BUCKS at local auto store!

Now this is the very last step I did, and I thought something was up with this in the very beginning because it was releasing pressure from the system from a little hole in the side lip of it after I started the car in the first 10 seconds and then car then misfired and stalled at around 900 RPMs. Gauge was bouncing. It ran smooth before that at around 1100 RPMS. Audi shop told me this was normal and that that Crank Case Valve had nothing to do with it because it regulated exhaust engine vacuum, and it was there to just catch oil, the release of air pressure was normal. We'll those ******s where wrong, they wants me to pay 900 dollars to replace a timing belt that was nearly new. This was also a last step because Napa auto also told me it would do nothing. After researching the forums, someone said there is a spring in it, and to blow threw it, and the the pressure should move something inside. I did that to my old one and nothing moved. Just air came out. So i figured the pressure plate/spring inside was stuck or worn out. I slipped the new one on right at the parts store, and the car drove amazingly home the whole way. I was freaking surprised. The audi shop said it sounded like bad exhaust or Intake valves after I told them I timed it myself. I bet they knew what was up, they just wanted to make work for themselves, ask me to pay $100 dollars to diagnose that to. Cant believe a little bit of air pressure would make my car run so freaking bad. I was scared there at the end, but so happy now. I took all the extra parts back off that where returnable and returned them. I'm sure this will help somebody, because i went threw so many Audi Forums and nothing helped, so many different things can go bad. this is an easy fix, so try it first. Good day!