Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Three Rings scotty607's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Celica RS4 Jeep

RS4 Low OIL again

My Low Oil Lamp lit up again today. I had just put in a quart at the Audi dealership under they're reccomendation about a month ago. They say "the car eats oil because of it ultra high performance". I dont think he they are right about that. It has to be going somewhere. And I wonder how long it will be before this car breaks for this reason.
    Milltek, STaSiS, Hotchkis, Alcon, Apikol, MTM, Savini, JHM, Gruppe M, APR

Veteran Member Three Rings MisanoRS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: RS4 Low OIL again

It's not going to break its normal. There are plenty of threads with discussions of this topic. It's a v8 for one reason plus depending on how hard you drive the car it will eat it faster.
    2010 GT3- Sharkwerks muffler bypass

"The reason my car has 4 rings is because my gf has 0" -ngng

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01'NB'S4 sold 04 LSBlue M3

Make sure the weight of the oil is correct too. I'm sure it is since the dealership put it in.

Established Member Two Rings homeychan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 Cadillac SRX, 07 1098S, 05 B6 S4

While all engines burn some oil, I don’t think that’s normal. Search the forums and you will see this issue a lot. Seems to be very common in the 4.2, I had same problem and hopefully yours is not as bad as mine. It required essentially a new engine and I had to get a lawyer to deal with Audi. Remember because your car has a lot of oil the oil light comes on with more than a quart down, I learned that’s about 1.7kgs of oil because mine was in the dealer so much. My advice after learning the hard way is to pursue your dealer to do the Audi oil consumption tests before your warranty runs out. My car was diagnosed 400 miles over the warranty after being in the shop several times 30k below the warranty and Audi still denied it. They have very specific procedures to follow for this problem and you need to get dealer to follow them or you could end up like me - sad. I can give you more info if you like from what I went through.

Account Terminated One Ring
    AZ Member #

HOMEYCHAN,

I have the exact same problem you are describing above with my B7 AUDI RS4. My car is now two months past the warranty period. I just had the oil consumption test performed. In the last 5 months my car has been in the shop for an engine light. The car also broke down on me on the highway two months later. The oil light has come on twice. I have had to add two quarts of oil every 1500 miles. I just had the oil consumption test performed yesterday after noticing the inside of my tailpipes were coated with wet oil. Audi wants me to drive the car an additional 600 miles before going any further. They also said my car will most likely need to have an engine rebuild or an new engine!!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! The car has been babied and has never been modified, redlined, or tracked. How did you make out with the lawyer? I am debating about getting an M3 and trading this car away. 2007 with only 32000 miles and needs a new engine? Audi was also kind enough to let me know the car is out of warranty by 2 months. Terrible product and service for such a rare car. This is my third and last AUDI.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by styleew1 View Post
    HOMEYCHAN,

I have the exact same problem you are describing above with my B7 AUDI RS4. My car is now two months past the warranty period. I just had the oil consumption test performed. In the last 5 months my car has been in the shop for an engine light. The car also broke down on me on the highway two months later. The oil light has come on twice. I have had to add two quarts of oil every 1500 miles. I just had the oil consumption test performed yesterday after noticing the inside of my tailpipes were coated with wet oil. Audi wants me to drive the car an additional 600 miles before going any further. They also said my car will most likely need to have an engine rebuild or an new engine!!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! The car has been babied and has never been modified, redlined, or tracked. How did you make out with the lawyer? I am debating about getting an M3 and trading this car away. 2007 with only 32000 miles and needs a new engine? Audi was also kind enough to let me know the car is out of warranty by 2 months. Terrible product and service for such a rare car. This is my third and last AUDI.
    In the end my dealer covered the engine replacement, I got really lucky, Audi was useless. IMO when you buy an Audi it is for status and the driving experience, because they certainly do not stand behind their vehicles. Apply pressure to the dealer if this was an ongoing problem, they get a quartely budget to help customers, their are two different valves that manage crankcase pressurization on the car, have a look at my blog in my signature I just had my car in again for this issue. Sorry I could not be more help.

I also contemplated a 2010 4 Door M3, but when they offered me $15k for my car and tried to sell me a used M3 for $71k I walked away. This oil consumption issue is so common, I am surprised that nobody has started a lawsuit or got some type of government intervention. I also would have bought another Audi but I bought a Cadillac instead and they and the vehicle have been great. Have you looked at the CTS-V, that will crush the M3, AMG E63...
    S4 Oil Consumption?
    See my terrible experience with Audi corporate and how they took away my warranty:
    http://audiwarranty.blogspot.com

Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Scotty I have never had my low oil light on in my car. I've got 12k on the clock and have changed my oil 5 times. OCI's were 1k, 4k, 7k, 9.5k and 12k.

I check the oil on a regular basis and I'm not going through any. Poured out 9.5 on the last change.

I think you might have a little issue.

What is your oci, oil type and mileage on the car?

Senior Member Three Rings scotty607's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Celica RS4 Jeep

Still I appreciate every point of view that you all have. That is why these forums are so powerful for Joe Public. I do have a high revving four cylinder supercharged engine in my Celica GTS (lotus elise engine) and it does not eat oil. It did once when I had a leak in a gasket and I fixed that easy. But I will bring it Audi so there is a record of my complaints. Thanks again..Still taking thoughts.
    Milltek, STaSiS, Hotchkis, Alcon, Apikol, MTM, Savini, JHM, Gruppe M, APR

Established Member Two Rings diablooffire03's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sucks you have to dump oil in every now and then. Obviously means oil getting passed seals.
    05.5 Audi S4
    01 Lexus IS300 Turbo
    08 IS250AWD SOLD
    94 6spd single Supra SOLD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I think acceptable use for Audi is .5 litre (1 half quart) every 1500kms in this engine, if your car is outside this it has a problem. Just getting your dealer to record the issue is not enough, they need to follow process. My warranty for this was denied because dealer did not follow process and I have complete service reports.

Veteran Member Four Rings dparm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You should have the dealer catalogue this. Oil consumption is not normal.
    now: 2011.5 BMW M3 sedan ZCP
    past: 2005 Audi S4 sedan, 2011 Audi S4 sedan

Established Member Two Rings 99PanozAIV's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Panoz AIV roadster

oil comsumption

Quote Originally Posted by dparm View Post
    You should have the dealer catalogue this. Oil consumption is not normal.
    Yeah, I have to admit, I don't know what this oil consumption issue is about with Audis in general. No car should burn oil at that level, or leak it at the levels I read in the threads here. My 2008 S4 Avant (bought factory new with 50 miles and I did Mototune guy's type break) uses NO detectable oil between 5,000 mile changes and I missed my last one and I'm at 7,500 miles and it still doesn't need any. I have 44,000 miles on the car now and I've never added a quart of oil between changes, and yes, I do check the oil. Up until this last time I missed (lots of family issues) I've had all work done by dealer as prescribed.
    1999 Panoz AIV
    2008 Audi S4 Avant
    2014 Mini Cooper S Countyman

AZ Member #

Government intervention? Don't you think that's a tad extreme? I wouldn't say oil consumption is a real problem for these cars.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Not really, something to mandate them to take responsibility for the issues. A quick search and a discussion with the dealer and this is a common issue. I've lived it, and done my research. The 4.2 has an oil consumption issue, search the forums, Google it. Whether it is the lemon laws, arbitration, there should be some recourse for an owner to recoup costs for a faulty product.
    S4 Oil Consumption?
    See my terrible experience with Audi corporate and how they took away my warranty:

Veteran Member Four Rings Retsujou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 RS4 Tit/Exec/Prem/Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by homeychan View Post
    Not really, something to mandate them to take responsibility for the issues. A quick search and a discussion with the dealer and this is a common issue. I've lived it, and done my research. The 4.2 has an oil consumption issue, search the forums, Google it. Whether it is the lemon laws, arbitration, there should be some recourse for an owner to recoup costs for a faulty product.
    You do realise that at full RPM the pistons in the RS4 move faster than the ones in a Formula One engine. Don't you think that will burn some oil?
    08 B7 Cherry Black Pearl RS4 + JHM Lightweight Flywheel + JHM Stage III Clutch + VAST Piggie Pipes + K&N High Flow Airfilter + APR Stage II (Testpipe tune) + Hueper Optik 30% + Magnaflow X-Pipe + Centre Resonator Delete + Deflap + HAWK Ceramic front/rear + Stoptech Steel Brake lines + V4 LED Headlights (blackout/clear corner)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retsujou View Post
    You do realise that at full RPM the pistons in the RS4 move faster than the ones in a Formula One engine. Don't you think that will burn some oil?
    So your RS4 pistons move at over 16,000RPMs, are you saying the stroke is so short in the 4.2 it spins faster than an F1 car? Either way I'm sorry a F1 engine and our engines don't compare, pneumatic valves and an engine designed to run pinned for a few races is a lot different than a car designed to drive around on public roads. Guys don't get me wrong, I am not saying the cars suck, and I love my car when it runs. Let’s be reasonable, with a little bit of research these cars use oil, Audi says 1/2 litre every 1500km's is acceptable, but many burn more than that including mine. All I want is for Audi to acknowledge and fix the cars that do have a problem. Is that unreasonable? My car used a litre every 1200kms, the cylinders were fouled with oil and it had low compression because of the continuous excessive oil leak. It was a manufacturing fault; my problem started well within warranty but was denied in the end because Audi and the dealer had clerical issues. This a recurring issue why does everybody get so offended when it comes up?
    S4 Oil Consumption?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Retsujou View Post

All, we are not talking about the engine's ROTATIONAL speed, we are talking about the speed of the piston itself. There seems to be confusion over that.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

All, we are not talking about the engine's ROTATIONAL speed, we are talking about the speed of the piston itself. There seems to be confusion over that.
    Great, are you saying it is a short stroke and the piston speed higher than a current F1 car? where are the stats to back this claim up? What is the speed of the S4 pistons?
    S4 Oil Consumption?

Veteran Member Four Rings Retsujou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 RS4 Tit/Exec/Prem/Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by homeychan View Post
    Great, are you saying it is a short stroke and the piston speed higher than a current F1 car? where are the stats to back this claim up? What is the speed of the S4 pistons?
    Trusty wikipedia reads
    "A 2.4 litre Formula One engine at 19,000 rpm has a 25 m/s mean piston speed (39.7 mm󫎽9000 rpm / 60), the same value as the previously mentioned Honda S2000 engine (84 mm󫏄900 rpm/60). This value is typically limited by increasing intake port velocities and frictional losses, but is attained by commercial vehicle engines, like the Honda S2000, BMW E46 M3's S54B32 with 24.5 m/s as far back as 2001, the Audi RS4 with 24.2 m/s or the Yamaha YZF-R6 motorcycle with 23 m/s"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines

and just to give you an idea 24.2 meters per second equals around 87.1 Kilometres per hour, which is pretty fast.

So I stand corrected. it is 0.8m/s slower than that mentioned Formula 1 engine (running at its awesome 19.000RPM). My apologies. Fact of the matter is that these engines will consume oil. Just as the handbook says. Most consumption described as excessive is of course not acceptable, it is still going to happen regardless.
    08 B7 Cherry Black Pearl RS4 + JHM Lightweight Flywheel + JHM Stage III Clutch + VAST Piggie Pipes + K&N High Flow Airfilter + APR Stage II (Testpipe tune) + Hueper Optik 30% + Magnaflow X-Pipe + Centre Resonator Delete + Deflap + HAWK Ceramic front/rear + Stoptech Steel Brake lines + V4 LED Headlights (blackout/clear corner)

AZ Member #

Mine does not consume a drop between changes. You are in the minority and have made it quite vocal that you're dissatisfied; you don't need to go scaring other owners into thinking their motors will be trashed within a few years. :-\

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Mine does not consume a drop between changes. You are in the minority and have made it quite vocal that you're dissatisfied; you don't need to go scaring other owners into thinking their motors will be trashed within a few years. :-\
    Yes you are right I am in the minority but at what percentage do you draw the line? Somehow by your methodology as long as it is not over 50% it's OK? I am not trying to scare people, perhaps you didn't read my post above "Guys don't get me wrong, I am not saying the cars suck, and I love my car when it runs.", or the post to Ben explaining it could be breather valves not catastrpohic engine failure. I'm sure if your car had this issue and Audi told you to pound sand you'd feel different. Lucky you, unlucky me, I pulled the short stick. I wonder if this oil consumption issue played a part in why the 4.2 disappeared from the B8's. I never said all these cars had these issues, but a considerable amount do and Audi does not acknowledge the problem.
    S4 Oil Consumption?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1972 Chevy C-10

I just purchased a 2007 RS4 and the day after I smelt the oil on the exhaust. It's at the dealer getting looked at as we speak. I sincerely hope this is not a common problem with this car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ingraham View Post
    I just purchased a 2007 RS4 and the day after I smelt the oil on the exhaust. It's at the dealer getting looked at as we speak. I sincerely hope this is not a common problem with this car.
    Hey Ben,
    I could be simple issues and not the one like I had with the short block, I know the S4 had a recall for crankcase breather issues, this can cause that smell and for oil blow by (Think same recall on RS4). There is also another valve on the back of the engine that with mine failed and the crankcase over pressurized and blew out the valve cover gaskets. Visit my blog in the signature I have the invoice from the last one posted online, has part numbers and service time. I got that oil smell after highway driving at higher speeds and this was due to crankcase ventilation. Good luck!
    S4 Oil Consumption?

Veteran Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 Avus RS4 Ti (gone)

There are RS4's that burn zero oil over 4000-5000 miles OCI and I'm pretty sure their pistons move just as fast.
    08 Avus RS4 Ti (gone a long time ago...sick of wrenching on it)
    silverSpeed Intake (stopped that too...tendonitis in the ol' elbow)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

my light pop out 4time since i got my car(june) I'm part time in town and I have ride about 5000km... it's around eache every 1250km...